“My view” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort

Save Saved
You added Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort to your Saves list
Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   1 Paradise Drive | Cofresi Beach, Puerto Plata 57000, Dominican Republic (Formerly Be Live Grand Carey)   |
Ranked #19 of 41 Hotels in Puerto Plata
New Haven, Connecticut, United States
“My view”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

I want to thank especially all the guys DONKEY, BLACKEY ,BAMBOO, BANANA, BAN JOVI, for making this one of my greatest vacation. All the activities were fun and they are such a love, I couldn't ask for more. Also every time I get back to my room, I always see it spot clean. I want to thank Maria the cleaning lady she did an wonderful job. But beside all of this my vacation was fun.I just believe they should improve a lot of things.

Room Tip: All the rooms there are fantastic but if you get a room facing the beach its even better :) you wil...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (571)
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

I travelled with my wife for a few days of R&R at the end of October. I waited a few weeks before writing this review to settle down a bit before writing a scathing review, but I still feel the same. The pressure to get you to go the time share sale with the "Welcome Package" sales pitch set the tone. From that first minute, I felt like everyone here had a plan to "get me" The room was OK, but they forgot to put a door to enclose the bathroom. The daily 8:30AM knock on the door from the housekeeper to see if I wanted the room made up was inconsiderate, she even came in one morning when we didnt answer, we were still sleeping in bed! And she asked me for a tip! Breakfast and food as a whole was weak. The VIP beach was nice and the drinks there were good as compared to the rest of the resort. The staff was nice, but I felt like they pushed too hard for tips. I brought a bunch of singles, and just gave them as I asked for anything. I got this trip pretty cheap via Groupon, I guess the whole idea is to get as many people to the place so they can sell the "vacation club" I also want to point out that I did sit in on the sales pitch on the last day of my trip because my wife was curious. The salesman was well trained. When he saw that he didnt "get" me he was outright rude and obnoxious. i forgot his name, but he wore braces and was in his early thirties. STAY AWAY!!!

Room Tip: Free WIFI is at reception area and VIP Beach. I hope they dont read this and start charging!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
managementteam55, Manager at Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort, responded to this review, December 1, 2012
Dear Guest,

We are really sorry that we did not meet your expectations, anyhow we appreciate that you took your time to write this review.
Your comments are taken very seriously, we will use it to improve our product and we apologize for not being able to fulfill your expectations.
Regarding your comment about the not having a door to enclose the bathroom, we don’t understand how this could have happened as all of our rooms have this door, and we have a procedure to check every room before it being occupied by the guest
The comment about the maid asking for tips really surprises us, as we normally get very good comments about our housekeeping team, what you mention that she did, is completely unacceptable, but there can be one of our employees that have not completely understood our philosophy at LifeStyle, we apologize for this and promise that we will follow up, for this to not happen again.
We must say that the level of satisfaction obtained concerning the quality and variety of food and drinks has always been very elevated according to the opinions reflected in our satisfaction questionnaires.
Besides, the selection of products that compose our gastronomically supply is done taking into consideration the diversity of the guests who visit us.
We sincerely regret that the quality of the food and beverages offered in our Hotel have not met your expectations after all.

Lexington, Kentucky
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

My wife and I booked a 4 night, all-inclusive vacation, thru Groupon.com., and we just returned a couple of days ago. My overall impression is that the Groupon deal was just a gimmick to get us there, but once we arrived, their goal was to get us to upgrade to the more expensive "VIP" package, or to sign us to a timeshare agreement.

Overall the food is really bad (breakfast was actually ok, so we quickly learned to eat as much as possible in the morning). The all inclusive mixed drinks are watered down to almost no alcohol, the rooms are clean but need updating, the pools arent bad, but apparently they think late 80's slow rock should be the soundtrack to a tropical vacation (if I hear "Lady in Red" one more time I will snap), and the beach is disappointing. I was hoping for white sand and crystal clear water, but the beach is very small and the water/sand color is comparable to South Florida.

Also, the resort didnt offer a shuttle to/from the airport (unless you are a VIP member), so the cab rides alone costed us $100. The staff at the resort speak little English, so if you go, you need to speak some Spanish. Also, they only allow you to make reservations for the restaurants from 9AM to 10AM, the day of your meal. If you dont make a reservation you can only eat at their international buffet restaurant. I called one morning at around 10:30AM to make a reservation, and they would not allow me to make a reservation (they do not cater to their customers and are not flexible).

Overall, I was disappointed by this resort, and would not recommend it, nor will we be going back again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
managementteam55, Manager at Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear Guest,

We appreciate the observations concerning the service at the hotel, and we are sorry that we were not able to impress you with some of our services and amenities at the resort.
We are in the business to bring an enjoyable and excellent experience to all of our guests.
The few times that we do encounter an unhappy guest we address the issue immediately and turn the challenge into an opportunity.
Regarding the dinner reservations, we have a system, that depending on the amount of days of your stay you get pre-assigned reservations up on your arrival, then for the rest of the days you may go to the Guest Service department to make the reservations, other wise we have two big buffet restaurants with huge variety of food.
It surprises us that you did not like our beach, we normally get very good comments about it, as you know on the beach we have hammocks, chair longs and big beds, which our guests normally appreciate very much.
We would like to extend our most sincere apologies for any difficulty you may have experienced during your stay.

Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

Upon arrival we immediately fell in love with this place, but unfortunately the glow wore off by the third or fourth day. Indeed, in terms of “all inclusive” resorts this one is more affordable than most and a great value as long as you know when to go and what to expect.

We happened to go there right in the “sweet spot” for when to visit, i.e. the “shoulder season”, just before the crowds arrive (around Oct 20th). Because we usually travel to get away from the cold winters where we live we were keen to interact with other visitors to inquire about their experiences and that’s when the glow wore off. Of particular interest to us were the comments from “owners”, i.e. people who had paid $$$ to become “members” and were now disappointed.

One of the key issues is that in recent times this place has expanded to become a huge mega-resort, but unfortunately their limited beach access has remained unchanged. Yep, you guessed it, securing a lounge chair on the beach requires getting there before 7 am. And the same thing happens at the various swimming pools.

Regardless of when you go, heaven help you if your rental doesn’t include “VIP Gold status” (as typically happens to people booking through RCI or travel places such as CheapCaribbean). Note that this resort is a conglomerate of well over a dozen separate corporations, so, who to rent from? For us the best was to check VRBO and HomeAway, where “owners” (with “VIP Gold status) often offer lower rates.

OK, one more critical item – You MUST make your restaurant reservations (as further into the future as allowable) IMMEDIATELY upon arrival! For sure all your requests will be accepted with glowing smiles, but check back early the next day to find out about what venues were unavailable, time changes, etc. That’s when you start to get a feel about how the system really works.

Of course you would do well to simply blow-off the high-pressure sales hounds wanting you to sign up for “membership” that very same day – Cheers.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
St. Louis, MO, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

My family stayed over Thanksgiving week. Each of our rooms needed maintenance - even just a thorough cleaning would've helped a lot. The curtains were moldy, which made the whole room stink. The safe in our closets were all missing parts and would not lock. Housekeeping staff ignored the "Do Not Disturb" signs and, much of the time, didn't even knock before coming in early in the morning. I understand that this may be a cultural thing - but why provide DND signs if the staff will just ignore them?
For two of the rooms, we had to go back to the front desk several times just to get even one key that worked, much less two. It was a real pain that they should have taken more care to rectify the first time.
I understand that selling timeshares is often part of the resort's incentive to providing good deals to stay. Luckily, other guests tipped us off that their "10 to 15 minute resort tour" would actually be a three hour high-pressure sales pitch. For those who go to this resort, some advice: avoid the tour if at all possible. If you can't avoid it, don't let them talk to you for more than 10 or 15 minutes - unless, of course, you're seriously thinking of buying a timeshare. Forget the "welcome packet" and the free bottle of booze - it's all inclusive anyway, so just drink for free without being harassed to buy a timeshare.
The food was OK. The first night, the buffet served sushi, which was excellent. Everything else was cooked in so much oil that when they finally served turkey wraps on our last day, I was so sick of the greasy food I could have cried.
The beach isn't that great. It's kind of rocky and the waves don't really break within comfortable swimming distance of shore.
There was some sort of sewage issue under repair while we were there, so small portions of the resort smelled. The nightclub was cool, but it smelled like it had flooded and a rush job was done of cleaning it up.
On the plus side, the pools were very clean and most of the bartenders were friendly and attentive. Most of the wait staff at the restaurants were fun without being over the top.
Overall, this resort has a lot of potential - it's design is really cool and it could be a great place to go. But they need to sink some money into it and eliminate some issues.

Room Tip: Other guests told us they had to be emphatic in order to get a room change.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
managementteam55, Manager at Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Dear Guest,

Your comments are taken very seriously, we will use it to improve our product and we apologize for not being able to help you, enjoy your vacation.
Our rooms are in general in very good conditions even though, we have a continuous maintenance improvement plan in place for our rooms, the inconveniences that you mentioned that you experienced during your stay are unacceptable, Please accept my sincerest apologies, and know that I will be discussing your comments with our staff, especially with Housekeeping team and Front desk team.
Regarding the Safe, our in room safe are rental which has a cost of 3 dollars per night, as soon as you rent the safe at the front desk, they give you the lock which most probably was the part missing that you described.
We are working to completely eliminate the bad smell, this is not a constant problem and we are sorry that it coincided with your stay here with us.
I appreciate your observations which are treated with the utmost interest, since we believe that this is the best way to know what specific points we must focus our attention to improve in all aspects.

Best Regards,

Bradenton, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

I was a little worried when I booked this vacation, but it ended up to be the best I would recomend this to my friends and I would do it again if get a chance. The food Was GREAT but people do remember your are going to a spanish country so the est food is the one that is native to the Dominican Republic. The people were great and always happy to help.

Room Tip: An FYI when your choosing a room make sure you pick the second floor because if you go in raining se...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa resort as the hotel to enjoy your vacation and we also thank you for writing this comment about your experience here at our resort.
We are very happy to read that you had a great vacation and that you would recommend us to your friends.
We also appreciate your recommendation to other future guests.
Hope to have you back with us very soon.

ktichener
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

This hotel does need some maintenance work done in the all the rooms except the newer rooms down by the beach.If your going to book here ask for a room in the buildings 40 and up. Our first night we stayed in 3011 and it had a hole in the bathtub as big as a football. The furniture looked like it was in fight and the room stank of mildew. We didn't even have a bedspread, just sheets. The bathroom window came right off the frame in my hand. So it wasn't a pleasant night at all. In the morning we went to speak to the manager Pedro and he was great. He moved us that afternoon to a junior suite down by the beach. The rest of week was great and the staff working there was great too. No one bothered us for a time share after we said no the first time. We had a very good time and great weather.

Room Tip: walk up the beach and eat at the tropical, better food.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
managementteam55, Manager at Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Dear Guest,

First of all we thank you, for taking your time to write this review, its wonderful for us to hear that you had an great week at our Cofresi Palm beach & Spa Resort.
We apologize for the inconvenience that you had the first night, but it’s really rewarding to hear that the problems got solved, that you think our staff is great and that you could enjoy the rest of your stay.
We hope to have you back at our resort very soon.

The Management

Been to Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!