“Great Time... Amazing Beach!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Occidental Allegro Playa Grande

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Puerto Plata
Occidental Allegro Playa Grande
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Rio San Juan MTS | PO Box 10, Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #25 of 43 hotels in Puerto Plata
Pickering, Canada
“Great Time... Amazing Beach!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2006

Jus got back on the 20th(13-20) I travelled with my fam and had an awsome time. There were lots of people there, mostly canadian, some german, some american and some french. Lots of great people made a lot a friends and had a fun time. The beach was amazing, even though the ocean was rough, we got a few yellow and green flags that week, so it was all good. The staff is nice and friendly, and the entertainment was alright. The food was pretty good, i had no problems with it, never got tired of the pasta. All in all it was a pretty good vacation, better than i expected.
need anything, email me.

87 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2006

Well, where to start? Before going to the Dominican for the first time I was a little leary - especially given the fact that you read so many mixed reviews on various websites.

We (my husband, myself, and our two boys 6 and almost 4) had an AWESOME time here and were pleasantly surprised!

NOTE: I have been reading some of the reviews since our return and I have to say that if you are going to this resort and are looking for online advice - keep in mind that everyone has different expectations and opinions, so you have to take the good with the bad and go with an open mind and make your own assessment.

Don't let what the reviewers say sway you one way or the other. One review posted in another thread (bad resort) was from someone who stayed there the same week as us and yet we (and several other people that we met there) had an entirely different experience....I'm sorry they were so unlucky and yes, it could happen easily (thefts, things breaking down etc), and I'm not saying it didn't, but I think that could happen anywhere and at any hotel.

It is surprising though, that one person could have such an entirely different experience in the same week at the same place.

Anyway, having said that...here is my humble review and my many reasons why I would recommend this resort....

1. The Flight: Our flight was with Sky Service out of Toronto and we have no complaints at all. We had a very slight delay leaving from TO but it wasn't that big of a deal. The flight was very smooth and going through customs in PP was not a problem.

2. Bus Ride: Ok I was a bit worried about the bus ride given all the negative 'press' it has received here but like another reviewer posted, I at least was mentally prepared. I have to say that even though our drive was FAST and a bit bumpy it was not at all scary. I mean we had two little boys with us so of course I was worried about the ride.. but guess what? They slept the whole way!! So I figure if two little boys can make it without any complaints - then so can the adults! Go to the bathroom before you leave the airport if you really think you can't wait out the ride and look at it as part of the adventure!!!

3. Check in - Hotel: The hotel staff was pleasant and efficient on check in and a porter helped us with our bags to our room. We got in very late (1 a.m. I think) so there was not a whole lot going on and our first night was uneventful. They had put us in building 1 - central to the disco, bar and pool - which they thought would be good with us having little kids - but the noise through the night was not good. I went to the front desk the next day and asked if we could move to a quieter building and they accommodated happily. I had to go back more than once before the room was actually ready, but it wasn't a big deal - they were always very nice about it and when we did change rooms we were very happy.

4. Rooms: Building #4 is farther from the action but worth it...we had a third floor room which was also very nice because it had vaulted ceilings and appeared a bit bigger and more spacious the way it was laid out. The rooms were VERY clean. I did not see one bug (and believe me if I did you would know about it!!) and certainly not any rats like someone else had posted! Where were they????
The maids did a wonderful job keeping our room clean and fully stocked with toilet paper, kleenex, and towels - lovely swan shapes and fresh flowers every day. I did leave a little tip every other day on the bed ($1 US and sometimes a little gift) so that may be why we got such good service? I can't say for sure b/c the service was the same on the days I didn't leave anything. Maybe we just got lucky? I do know that a couple of people we met had strangers enter their rooms unnannounced and for unknown reasons? If that had happened to me I would have freaked! So, be cautious and aware. Happily I have no complaints here at all. I actually also found the whole resort to be very clean. Maids were always cleaning in the public bathrooms and in the hallway, the pool was very clean and kept up and there was never an issue for us when it came to cleanliness.

5. Grounds: The location of the resort itself is very peaceful and remote. I felt safe (always security guards patrolling the grounds- they were very subtle though) and I was very relaxed here - even with having two little ones to watch! The beach is SOOOOO beautiful here and worth the walk down. Okay - here is another area that I have to write about - the STAIRS! I was extremely worried about the stairs and whether or not my kids would be able to trek down every day. Seriously - it' snot that bad! There are about 80 steps (give or take a few) - with landings every six steps or so. One landing is actually very big and spacious (great photo opp) and a spot to stop if you are really that tired. But, like someone else posted - unless you have a physical impairment or real adversity to steps - they really aren't a big deal. Again, judging by the fact that our two little boys could do it without complaining....you get the picture!

6 Food - I thought the Buffet was very good. There was always something for everyone - with different themes offered each night.. Every morning there were fresh omelettes (or however you wanted your eggs - even plain scrambled as we did for our 3 year old was not a problem for the chef! Just ask and you shall receive) We also enjoyed the pasta bar at every lunch and dinner time (again, you could have the pasta made to order - even if you wanted it plain with parmesan cheese!) I didn't find the food very exotic - kind of bland even - but that was good - it meant we didn't have to deal with heartburn or unwanted reactions to unknown dishes! There was always some new things to try and service was good at most times. Some days we saw missing cutlery or napkins, but really - not a big deal people! We were on holidays so we sure didn't let little things like that bother us. Food wise for the kids we stuck with what we knew and never had a problem. We also enjoyed the burgers, hot dogs and fries at the pool snack bar and the fresh fruit (mangos, pineapple, bananas, watermelon) was DELICIOUS and something I couldn't resist!!

We only had a chance to try one a la cart - the Italian - and we found it to be good- taste wise. Not an outstanding experience - but it was still nice to get a bit dressed up and enjoy a 'family' dinner together. We didn't have a chance to try the Brazilian.

7. The Pool/Swimming - I thought the pool was a great set up for families with children of varying ages. There's a smaller pool sectioned off that our 3 year old loved playing in and the bigger kids made great use of the other pool area which I think was no deeper than 4.5 feet....It was good b/c you could swim if you wanted OR the kids could pretty much swim on their own while we lounged closeby. Never worried about their safety as the layout of the pool area is pretty contained and so there was no way they could get too far....
Beach swimming - the water was rough- but it wasn't a big concern b/c of the age of our kids...they were content to run in and out and play in the sand. If you are going with plans to swim be prepared that there are often a lot of red flag days. Again, we didn't have any complaints in this department. It was amazingly beautiful and really one of the nicest beaches I've ever seen!

8. Kids Club/Staff/Animation Team: We checked out the "Kids Club" on day 1 and decided we weren't going to leave our kids there! It wasn't that there was anything wrong with it, but there was a language barrier, which I thought might pose a problem. The kids that were there seemed happy though and well attended. The girls that run it are very kind and friendly and they did make a point of meeting and greeting our boys every time (even with kisses!!) The staff is all very friendly and we enjoyed making new friends with them!

Well, I could go on and on and on....for us it was a great experience. If you are hesitant to go to an all-inclusive with kids....I would recommend this as a great starting point. We would definitely return and the time away was a great bonding experience for the whole family.

Go, have fun & remember what many others have said...vacation is what you make it!

MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2006

We went to this hotel for a romantic getaway, and it was everything we could have hoped for and more. We arrived mid afternoon on Friday to find that we had not been given the type of room we requested. The staff at the front desk immediately offered us a different room, and let us check it out to make sure it was what we wanted. They then moved our bags for us to our new room.
The room was in building 5, which was 2 steps from everywhere we needed to be. It was gorgeous with vaulted ceilings and a really nice view of the courtyard.
The weather was perfect-85 and sunny every day. It rained for 10 minutes one day. The waves were huge, but fun to play in.
Although the resort was not directly on the beach, the walk to the beach was beautiful, and worth it to not have all the vendors hustling you while you are trying to relax. There is also a bar and a snack bar on the beach, so really you don't have to go back to the resort until dinner.
The dance club was a blast, although there were not a lot of people dancing. The staff there was ultra-attentive, and by the last night, was preparing our drinks before we even walked up to the bar. We found that in all the bars and restaurants, if you treat the staff well, the will treat you like a VIP.
The nightly entertainment was fun. They do a very good job of getting the resort guests involved.
We had a great time, for much less money than we would have spent at many other resorts. I would go back to this resort in a heartbeat, and next time would stay for 2 weeks.

A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2006

We had spent a week at the OAPG (March 6 - 13, 2006)- my husband, 8 yr old son, myself, another couple and their children - 2- 15 yr olds. We had a great time!

I'll start from the beginning of our trip. We arrive at Puerto Plata airport at 9:00 pm and were bombarded by the porters to take our luggage to our bus. We didn't mind so we paid them a little something for their help and everyone seemed to be happy. Our bus left on time and our Sunquest Rep. Angel (very good person - helpful and kwowledgable) gave us a brief review of the Dominican (especially driving - but due to our bus being large vehicle on road, we had the right of way and everyone would move for us) and the resort.

Once we arrived at resort (approx. 1 1/2 hrs from airport) the front desk staff took very good care of everyone and it didn't take to long to check everyone in. The snack bar was still open so we could have something to eat.

Next day we met with Angel in the morning to give us more info on the DR and the resort. He provided us with many day trips that were offered and the prices. (Prices could be negotiated if you have a large group - they will accomadate you as they do no want to lose any business).

The resort - absolutely beautiful. The landscaping was breath-taking. The beach - WOW! Our pictures looked like postcards. The grounds and pool kept very clean. We couldn't swim at the beach due to flags were mostly red & water was to choppy. But we took advantage of the pool. It was great.

Food - was excellent. My son and husband are picky eaters but always found something on the buffet. Never went hungry. My son loves fast food but only had fries from the snack bar one day, so that explains alot about the buffet. Breakfasts and dinners were really good - lots of variety.

Rooms - were basic but clean. We always had a good supply of fresh towels and lots of drinking water. The maids really take care of you when you leave them alittle something (even if it's from the dollar store). We alternated days - on day we left little gifts and the next we left a couple of US dollars.

Staff - very accomadating to everyone. The fun club made the whole week fun and enjoyable for everyone of all ages.

We did take the Jeep Safari - it was wonderful. Our children take so much for granted in life (so do we as adults). I would recommend this excursion for anyone. Not very expensive.

The Dominican people do not have many luxuries but are always happy. Smiling, singing and dancing all the time.

We would have not problem returning to this resort.

Stayed March 2006
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2006

I just came back early in the morning (about 2am) yesterday. Ill make this short! Im 18, i went w/ my family:( Stayed there from march 13-20, I met some great people, including a swarm of canadians, germans and french. The food was pretty good, especially getting pizza and fries at the pool snack bar at 2am. Although I did get sick one of the days I was there, because i guess some food was something i wasnt used to. The Crew is awesome, very friendly, im actually keeping in touch w/ a few of them. Also, when your there GO to the Jeep Safari, which you experience the real Dominican, you see what life is really like there and you meet the locals, also you get to go to an elementary school and hang out w/ the school children, bringing them candy and pencils which just brings a smile to their face, honestly this was one of the greatest experiences of my life. IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS WHATSOEVER PLEASE EMAIL ME!

THIS IS THE ULTIMATE RESORT FOR FAMILIES...especially children aged 4-18

ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2006

As I came to write my review, I read the others and came to the quick conclusion that it must depend on so many varibles whether or not you enjoy this resort and your holiday! Our family consists of children ages 11 and 7, myself and my husband along with my parents. We stayed from Feb 28- March 6th which is the same date as another review on this site that had nothing good to say! I will say right off the bat that although we had a wonderful time and enjoyed all the resort had to offer, I was quite upset to have someone (staff) walk in to the room unannounced twice while my son and I were having a nap! I am not sure how many times this occured when we were not in the room and yes, the room had already been made up! When I walked out the door to question the individual, they were already long gone. I would recommend using the room safe and asking for a room with a sliding lock which we did not have. The extreme language barrier was a big problem for me, it was impossible to ask for toilet paper let alone convey my displease at the people entering my room!!! For a resort with 90% english speaking Canadian's, I would have hoped for more bilingual staff.
That being said, the resort is nice and small and I felt comfortable sitting back and letting my children swim around without being on constant edge. The food was awesome and there was always something for the children no matter what! A plate of noodles was a nice staple when they tried the other new items. Food and drink was always available when ever you wanted it, if you can bring some extra "familiar" snacks for your children, it might be a good idea. Apple juice, cereal bars and that type of thing might be a good idea and is high on our list of priorities if we went again.
The rooms were basic but nice, the linen does have a weird odour which I am sure has to do with the humidity and constant damp atmospheme. The bathrooms are ok, do need a bit of TLC but nothing major and the grounds themselves are absolutely beautiful! Someone is always cleaning the area or fixing the gardens! The ocean and beaches are memorizing and we loved the walk to the beach as it gave us time to enjoy this view. The ocean was "angry" while we were there. I would recommend going on the Jeep Tour in order to enjoy a calmer beach area! We had a near drowning incident at our beach when people tried to swim when a RED flag was up......don't swim when the red flag is up!!! (makes sense right) The pool NEEDS NEEDS NEEDS more umbrella's, it was too hot to be in constant heat for all that time, grab the umbrella as soon as you can!
The "games room" does need an upgrade as most things are broken or non existant. The kids club was not what it was advertised to be although the kids club staff were quick to identfy our children and say hello to them every time they were in the area. The "Mini Disco" for our 7yr old son was the high light of the evening. It was great fun for the younger set and we are still singing the songs at home. "I got two two two push pineapples"...LOL
The staff is great for the most part. Some tended to pick favourites through out the week (maybe they tipped better??) Say hello to Gabriel for us as well as Angel from Sunquest Tours! He was so gracious and offered to send us the titles of the Mini Disco songs when we got home!!! (not sure if we will thank him once they arrive) LOL
Go on the jeep tour if you want to see some of the culture but be prepared for the poverty and sad conditions the people live in. It was a good experince for the children and I think it humbled us all...
The small size of the resort made it conducive to meeting other familes and I would have to say the families we met on the resort made the experiences in the DR all the more memorible! Our daughter and her new friends had their hair braided for $14 american which was a nice treat ...this was wonderful as we did not worry about doing her hair at all the entire week...just remember to put sunscreen or a hat on there heads, the sun is awfully hot! Sunscreen every hour is a good bet especially for the chidren as it is really intense.
Not sure what else to say, I guess you really have to draw your own conclusions from what you have read here and as I said, it is all up to interpretation. Try to get a room in building 4 or 5 if you do decide to go! They seem to be quieter and the top floor was a nicer room!
Adios Amiego's!

needaholiday@gmail.com
->is my addy if you need any other questions answered.

• Stayed February 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2006

My sister and I (27 and 28)arrived back home yesterday from a weeks stay at OAPG & had a great time...Do not waste your time listening to any of the moaners!!
The holiday turned out to be perfect for what we wanted -relaxation, sun and beautiful surroundings.
To get there does involve quite a lot of travelling coming from the UK, particuarly on the way out, but you have a treat to look forward to at the end of it all which makes it all worth while. We arrived in the evening (8/3/2006) quite tired from travelling but grabbed a quick vodka followed by an early night. Our room was absolutely fine, nicely decorated, clean, little displays of flowers amongst the towels etc...our view from the balcony of the neatly kept gardens. I did read through some of the other reviews, where rooms were mentioned and we did get to see some of our friends rooms and they were a bit more basic than ours(not so many trimmings etc). But still clean and as someone else put, who stays in their room! It seemed the green painted buildings contained the more basic rooms and the pink maybe the nicer...but all good. I could not fault anything really about my stay here and would definately go back. The scenery and gardens around the golf couse are beautiful and so well kept, the staff are constantly cleaning and preening and are all friendly...In fact, Dominican people are such a happy cheerful lot.
The beach is FANTASTIC!! I fell totally in love with the beach, there is a short walk to the steps at the top of the cliff -But WOW what a view!
The turquoise hues of the sea with crashing waves, golden sand and plenty of palm trees -OHH I want to be there now!! Note that the waves are great for being thrown about in, but we did'nt get a chance to swim and they would not be suitable for small children, but I loved them.
Food was great, a large variety to choose from and all under a palm fringed open air building, so you get to look at the sea whilst dining.
Drinks were good, I abused the Pina Colada's and Banana Stars whilst sunbathing -bliss! Staff also cut open Coconuts and fill them with cocktails for Coco Loco time around the pool in the afternoon -very tropical.
We did'nt really get involved so much with the entertainment in the evenings as it's not really our thing, but great for anyone that does enjoy audience participation! I did really enjoy watching the Latin and Folk dancers though and overall to watch the entertainment is quite amusing.
If you do decide to go on any excursions, try the Jeep Safari which we found very enjoyable, plus you get to see some culture. Ours consisted of driving up through the hills to see a quaint little church followed by Dominican style breakfast (RUM!!) Then on to see a home and meet the family, where you are served coffee and are shown how to cut open a coconut all whilst being told DR history and more RUM...Next stop, a chance to buy CHEAP RUM and drink more RUM. Off to a restaurant for lunch (included in price) then off to a waterfall, where local lads jump from the top for photo oppurtunities...and MORE RUM. Then to a beach for an hour of swimming/sunbathing, then guess what...MORE RUM!! Then last stop is the Blue Lake -very clear and blue amidst caves...and MORE RUM.
One thing to note, if you do go on a trip such as this take lots of wrapped sweets! The local children all come running when they hear the Jeeps 'a coming' and you throw the sweets over board, where all the kids scramble for them -really sweet.
All in all a great day out and nice to break the days at the beach up a bit.
I loved the Dominican Republic and it's people and would definately go again. I would also stay at the OAPG again as I could'nt find any fault.
Book it up and ENJOY!!

• Stayed March 2006

Been to Occidental Allegro Playa Grande? Share your experiences!