“Great Service With a Smile” 5 of 5 stars
Review of BlueBay Villas Doradas Adults Only Resort

You added BlueBay Villas Doradas Adults Only Resort to your Saves list
BlueBay Villas Doradas Adults Only Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Complejo Playa Dorada, Calle principal, 538, Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic   |
Announcement
Click for details
Ranked #20 of 44 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Owen Sound, Canada
“Great Service With a Smile”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

My wife and I visited this resort in late November 2013 and were VERY pleased with the quality of service we received so much so that we revisited BlueBay Vilas Doradas for another 2 weeks from March 28 to April 11th,2014.Normally we do not go to a resort more than twice but we loved this one so much that we went back for a third visit.We have had the worst winter in 40 years here and we needed to get away and rest/relax/enjoy in a hot and sunny place to recharge our batteries.True to form BlueBay fulfilled all of our hopes for a great vacation.The in-residence manager,Ines,and all of her staff know what customer service is all about.This is evidenced by the way requests are handled.There is a "can do" attitude shared by all.It is a relief not to have to argue over something that is easily resolved.
We found that the wait staff were MORE THAN willing to serve us.Santa,Nilson,Albania,Nikary,Anisy,and Francisco were fabulous and informative.No request was too much for them.Elizabeth,a bartender at the beach never lost her cool when the going got tough.
The animation group offered lots of events to keep the customers as busy (or not) as they wanted to be.James Bond (0021/2) and leo did a great job.I wish I had their energy!
We went to Oceanworld to have supper and see a Vegas style show and try the casino.The food was very good and the show was superb.We saw this excursion as an excellent value and heartily recommend it.
As I write this review it is snowing and the temperature is -4 Celsius.We miss the BlueBay most on these days.We are going to make plans to revisit BlueBay AGAIN in November/December.

Room Tip: Rooms in the 6000 and 8000 blocks are nice and quiet.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (555)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

The BlueBay resort was an excellent place for our family trip! The entertainment staff (specifically Pecki, Leo and Mayo) were excellent! They kept the days around the pool and on the beach entertaining and fun!
The food at the buffet was excellent, as well as the Oriental restaurant.
I did notice the average age at the resort was +40 or more but for us that was not a problem at all. If you are looking for a crazy nightlife, this resort probably isn't for you.
We had a great week and would definitely recommend it to friends!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Reading, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

We have been to the dominican 3 times now,working our way around Playa Dorada,and blue bay was not a disappointment,I had asked for a room with a balcony which we didnt have when we were showed to our room so I asked if they could move us to one which did, they did with no problem!! It wasnt one of the newly reburshed rooms but we didnt mind,it was a big room,clean and quiet. The food was nice and had lots of choice,my husband is a VERY fussy eater,when we told the staff they arranged for the chef to make him a special dinner every night!!!! Which we thought was excellent and to be fair they didnt have to do,everyone is out to please and make your stay as great as they can. The animation team was amazingly funny and work soooo hard to make it fun and include you in all activities,and they do alot of them allll day and night,We went for my husbands 40th and on his birthday the whole of the animation team Peki,Leo,Mayo,Commando,GeorgeJames bond,Yayi,Lois the sound guy,got him a cake,got him on stage to sing Happy Birthday and then gave us a bottle of champagne it was amazing and very thoughtful,bless love them all.we were very sad to go after our 17 day holiday!!! If you want a hotel and holiday where you feel included in a family for your stay then i would highly recommend bluebay,dont listen to the bad reviews as i personnally think in my opinion they are totally uncalled for.LOVED IT and will be returning hopefully next year.

Millsboro, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

We arrived on March 23 at 1;00, so of course the room wasn't ready. Check in is not til 4. We had swimsuits in our carry on and went to public bathrooms by the spa and got changed. We went to the swim up bar and started our vacation. Who needed a room with all that sun? We had such a good time, we didn't go back to the lobby until after 5. They were over booked so they let us stay in a private room for 1 night. It was very nice, we just showered and slept there no big deal. The next day we went to the pool, I had to go to the lobby around 1 for my new room key. My husband didn't even come with me it went so smooth. Karen at the front desk had taken care of everything. We got room 8108, which is the last building before the bridge.

The room was very nice and clean. The headboard actually lit up! It had a small patio with 2 chairs and a table which was great since hubby goes outside to smoke since I dont. Room was cleaned daily with new shampoo towels and etc.

The food was good overall. We loved the Asian place. We didn't care for the the seafood place. It was too salty for us. We just thanked them and left and went to the buffet. We did not make a scene. It was not their fault, just different tastes. The buffet was fine that night.

The pool staff works very hard. Roque actually remembered us from 4 years ago! He was always there with a smile and kind word. Diego was a trainee was was such a cheerful person, we hope he will be permanent next time we come.

The beach was beautiful. The vendors were there, but you say no thank you and they leave you alone. The guests and slobs and leave their dirty cups just laying around. You have to go past trash cans to get another drink, can't see why they didn't take them with them.

I would definitely go back again. We have stayed in hotels with bigger rooms, but I don't see why you need it you only shower and sleep in it. Ours was always clean.

To all the people who complained out there all I can say is if you have a problem and speak nicely to a person you will get way farther then screaming and degrading them. I heard some of you, and I wouldn't have helped you either.

Thanks again Karen at the front desk with helping us with anything we had to address.

Room Tip: The 8000 building is amazing
Rochester, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

Have been here 5 times now, staying for 2 weeks in late March. It is a beautiful, clean, well maintained property. Love all-inclusive, adult only. We like that it is smaller, more intimate, quick and easy to navigate anywhere on the property.
Staff is very friendly and always happy to accomodate. Can't say enough about the bar, housekeeping staff. Animation crew is always fun, especially Jaja. She is warm and friendly, organizing games and entertaining guests. We join the daily activities when the mood strikes us and the crew cheerfully accepts a "no" when we don't.
With 3 ala Carte restaurants (Steak, Seafood, Asian), a huge 3x daily buffet, and a beach lunch grill, you will eat too much! A swim up bar pool, a larger 4' deep pool, a smaller, quiet spa pool and an adult beach with huts and beds and an outdoor shower to wash off the salt water gives plenty off water time. Daily beach and pool Volleyball games and free kayaking is available along with pay-per-use parasailing, banana boats, jet skis, and excursions.
A short walk to small mall with pharmacy, bank (not too friendly), stores, bar, $ exchange kiosk.
Blue Bay is a great place to relax, have fun from the moment you enter the lovely open air lobby.

Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

This was our second trip to Blue Bay, having traveled there in 2007. My wife and I went back this year, March 13-20.
As an adults-only resort, we love the overall quiet of Blue Bay....not that it's quiet by the "fun pool" so much, but overall quiet with no kids yelling or crying, no cannonballs in the pool, etc. We traveled to the Iberostar Costa Dorada two years ago, bringing our teenagers with us...we loved Iberostar, but this year, it was no kids...and back to Blue Bay.
We flew American Airlines from CT to Miami, then to Puerto Plata. No issues. We used Dominican Air Transfers (DAT) yet again from the airport to Blue Bay....awesome, again. We booked online and they were waiting for us at the airport, and were right on time when it was time to head back home.
The reception at Blue Bay was great. Cold Towels, cold drink, got our room assigned quickly. The timeshare sales people (through the Blue Bay "Concierge") left us alone immediately when I told them we weren't interested...and they didn't try to camouflage what they were selling. Very much appreciated.
We got into our room early, building 3, second floor. There was no balcony. We had booked through Expedia, and had booked a Superior Room with a King Bed and balcony. We had 2 Queens and no balcony. The porter was gracious and had us call the office. We were quickly given a room that we had paid for...in Building 2, but on the third floor. A hike up, but it had a King Bed and a nice balcony with a garden view (quieter than overlooking the pool.)
I had called two or three weeks prior and tried to get us into the higher-number buildings (buildings 6, 7, 8, etc.) knowing they were newer, had flat screen TV, etc....no luck there. When I called, I was shrugged off by the front desk folks over the phone and apparently my request fell on deaf ears.
Now, just to be clear....buildings 1 through 3 are older...I think building 4 is, too...but it's not the end of the world. They are dated and need updating, but that's the cost of popularity. I went on and on about Blue Bay in 2007, and apparently, lots and lots of you went there and beat up the rooms a bit...and that's the name of the game in resorts. Just time for an overhaul of those buildings, that's all. Everything worked fine...good cold AC, no power outages at all like back in our early Dominican days.....Plenty of hot water although the pressure at prime shower time in the morning was low, but we were on the top floor so that takes some of the pressure away anyway....
There are no bureaus in the Standard/Superior rooms. Lots of hangers and some shelving/cubby holes in the closet, but would be nice to have one chest of drawers in the room to share.
Bed was firm but comfortable. No problems there.
We didn't spend a lot of time in our room, so I'll end the room talk now....it was fine. Not five-star, but fine otherwise. Housekeeping was wonderful. Room was cleaned, bathroom disinfected daily.
Speaking of housekeeping...Blue Bay even has clean public bathrooms, and that's a tough one to do right. The beach bathroom...clean...bleached...on a regular basis. I had to use the bathroom in the lobby of the hotel...same thing. Perfectly clean. Poolside bathrooms are cleaned over and over, and that's a good feeling, as nothing is as gross as a dirty wet bathroom. Kudos to the Blue Bay staff for working so hard to keep things clean.
Next...the food. Still very good. Iberostar had more choices all the time, but it's a much bigger resort. Blue Bay food is good, plenty of options and we never went hungry. I love fish and found that they always had a tasty fish option (or more) every lunch and dinner in the buffet. The omelet station was fabulous in the morning...we ate omelets most mornings. Lots of fresh fruit.
Wait staff in the buffet was great....just as I remember. Always ready to refill your water, get you a cocktail, pour your coffee...very nice touch.
Rafael was an absolute diamond....never met such a wonderful, happy personality in our four trips to the DR. He was always there with a handshake, a smile, a drink...we loved him.
There are three a la carte restaurants at BB. We ate at the El Dorado (steak) restaurant at the beach and it was great. Loved the Chateau Briand, just like 7 years ago. We also ate at the Seafood Restaurant (also by the beach) which is inside dining, air conditioned. The food there was good as well. Didn't do the Asian Fusion restaurant...heard mixed reviews about that, but can't comment first-hand.
The grounds...impeccable as always. Blue Bay is clean...and constantly being cleaned. The beach was raked nicely after one windy day where lots of seaweed had blown in. Gone the next day. Beach was cleaned daily, even with lots of jacka$$es leaving their cups, straws, and miscellaneous garbage strewn all around their chairs...come on people, have some class and at least pick up your own garbage....those are the people you'll read complaining on here....the people who can't be bothered to police themselves.
Pools were great...until the horrible Bubble Party Debaucle of 2014! The animation staff brought in a DJ and a giant bubble machine to have a "bubble party" poolside (apparently the first time they've done this) and it turned out to be a windy day....bubbles everywhere, and I mean everywhere. It was fun pandemonium in the pool full of bubbles until the bubbles overwhelmed the swim up bar and bartender. The pool area was PACKED with people, but only that one bar was open. The smaller gazebo bar wasn't open and you couldn't find a drink if you had your tipping money out (and we always did.)
After the bubble party ended, the bubbles didn't...unfortunately, the bubbles created a "film" on the large pool that hung around for a couple days. Folks coming in thought the pool was dirty, and to their credit, it looked gross if you didn't know what it was. For the rest of us, it was just an annoyance to have the soapy film on the top of the pool. I'll guess that Blue Bay won't be having another Bubble Party any time soon.
Other than that, the animation staff was good...some were better than others. Have to say that there is a huge difference in Animation from one resort to another. 7 years ago, Blue Bay staff was awesome...we found that some of the BB staff went to Iberostar (and other places) and they had to rebuild. This year, it seemed that some of the Animation staff was working hard...George and James Bond (.007 and a half) were great...and others (especially the girls) were just going through the motions. The only time we saw the ladies really trying was when one of them was trying to get some drinks from patrons and asking to be mentioned on TripAdvisor reviews (they get bonus points/time off) so therefore I won't mention here name...we actually didn't even know her name after six days until she wrote it down and asked us to leave her a positive review.
Bar staff was mostly great. Franklin is a gem, quietly happy and always goes out of his way to serve. Yakeiris (spelling?) was great...young, fresh, spunky and always smiling. Lorelei, just the same, and absolute doll.
We did the Freestyle Catamaran Tour (see Luis at the beach to book... Luis is here! ) He is great, and the price from Luis so much better than online... don't forget to haggle.
Cheapy Willy? Just as awesome as seven years ago. We came home with some great DR gifts and I owe Cheapy Willy a Fire Department hat and T-shirt next time I visit.
The Freestyle Catamaran Tour was fabulous. Best of all the excursions we've done at any of the DR resorts we've visited. Worth every penny and then a lot more.
My only real complaint with this year's trip was the constant attempt (for a few days until they realized we weren't giving in) to get us to go to the "meeting" or "group meeting" or "meet with your rep" which is the veiled way of asking you to go to a timeshare presentation. The concierge took us off the hook right away, but all the other staff selling timeshare gets nuts...they need to back this off a bit as I heard lots of people complaining about that as well.
Otherwise, another great, restful vacation at Blue Bay. Still a phenomenal bargain and a wonderful getaway. We met wonderful friends and enjoyed our week in the Dominican sun.

Room Tip: Higher building numbers 6,7,8 are newer. We've found the lower numbers 1-4 are clean but dated...
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

First of all, let it be known that I work for a 4 star hotel that is Forbes inspected. This place will fail this inspection. This is NOT a 4 star hotel, 2 stars...maybe.

Pros:
1) Close to the beach: the beach is very nice
2) Pools are nice and warm
3) Rooms have good A/C
4) Staff is sweet, friendly and engaging. If they had more tools at their disposal, this place has a lot of potential.

Cons:

1) The animation team was not necessary nor essential, just bunch of people making lots of noise, unnecessarily so.

2) THE FOOD IS AWFUL. And I mean, like prison bad, except maybe for breakfast, but how badly could you mess up eggs? And their restaurants suck just as badly. Instead, hail a taxi, go to town, find a shack near the water and you'll be blown away by simple and well-cooked Dominican food

3) They will try to convince that Puerto Plata a dangerous place. It really isn't. We went to the center of the town, people just glanced at you and kept going. Just go to the main road, hail a taxi and it won't be more than 300 pesos to get to the center. Also, don't ask the front desk to get a taxi for you, they'll rip you off. They got us a taxi, told us it won't be more than $35, it ended up costing us $50.

4) Unless you have a deluxe suite or something, the rooms are pretty crummy. My boyfriend and I have traveled to some bad places and stayed in some bad hostels, the rooms look like an average private hostel room.

5) If this place was a 4 star place, as it claims to be, there should be bottled water given at the arrival or at least waiting in the room. You have fetch the water yourself, in these tiny little plastic cups. Since you can't drink their tap water, you need to go out of your room to get it. Its quite inconvenient.

At the end, it is what you make of it. We're not fussy people, so we were fine with most things, but don't expect luxury. Since we also bought this deal on Groupon, we were satisfied. Also, bring a bug spray, TONS OF MOSQUITOS

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to BlueBay Villas Doradas Adults Only Resort? Share your experiences!