“It could have been better” 4 of 5 stars
Review of BlueBay Villas Doradas Adults Only Resort

You added BlueBay Villas Doradas Adults Only Resort to your Saves list
BlueBay Villas Doradas Adults Only Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Complejo Playa Dorada, Calle principal, 538, Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic   |
Offers & Announcements
15% off room rate
Ranked #22 of 42 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Bronx, New York
“It could have been better”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I enjoyed our stay at Bluebay, but we both thought our stay could have been better. We stayed for 3 nights (mon-thurs) What I didn't like about the hotel was that there weren't any nightclubs, the pool and beach closed too early, and the a La Carta restaurants weren't open everyday. The buffet food was good. The staff was very friendly and at our service needs, the hotel in general was very clean. I would strongly recommend that you call because online gives you a poor description of the rooms. I had to call to see what were the different amenities that each room contained. BlueBay is perfect for those couples and adults who prefer small hotels and quiet vacations.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (475)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Yorkshire, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

I stayed at the Blue bay in August 2013 room/resort were kept clean.
all staff were great Raphall/Antonio and wendy brillant allways friendly drinks aiways there when you went to eat .The crew were realy fantastic abbie, mayo, comando, james bond .did a great job trying to keep every one happy they remembered our names even if they said them wrong which made us laugh food was good different choices every day had a relaxing time they have started to up grade the rooms which are nice the resort still needs more up grading like the pool bar the tiels are coming away pool needs up dateing .The beach was great but the peddlers can be a bit harassing after a while they seem to no and don;t bother you

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

I stayed at the BlueBay with my parents for a week and it honestly has been the best vacation I have ever experienced. We had some issues that came up with the room, but it has been fixed in no mater of time.
The food at the buffet is really not bad and the oriental A la Carte restaurant was absolutely amazing. I loved the service that was provided by Raphael, Wendy and Reynaldo at the restaurants. They always great you with big smiles. Lorelei and all the other bartenders were always listening and preparing everything you desired.
The animation crew was fantastic. We traveled in August and it was fairly quiet during the period (not having any children around really helps). Comando, La Peki, George, Mayo and James Bond were absolutely fantastic during the evening shows, day activities and night life fun.
I back for one week only and already thinking about going back in January!
However, keep in mind that if something isn't just as you want it to be, go see Andres or Lilian at the reception, they will help.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

Decent property. Room/resort was kept clean and pleasant. Anybody who says you shouldn't tip the people is out of their mind. We would usually just leave a buck or two for a bartender or waiter and we were rewarded with extraordinary service. They remembered our names, they went out of their way to make our experience special. In fact, when we dined or had drinks at the swim up bar, with new found friends (other guests), they asked why the people were so nice to us. Peddlers on the beach can be a bit harassing, but not enough to ruin the trip. If you want to plan an excursion, go through Martin and his friends down at the beach. They're friendly, reliable, and very understanding people.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

Stayed at the hotel from August 14-18. The premises are lovely! Everything looks so peaceful and fresh. The lobby is lovely with the Black&White bar (only available if you upgrade to the gold bracelet).
Pro's:
-Lovely hotel decoration

-No kids (major plus if you're trying to relax)

-Beach is within a 1-2 minute walk (nice walk through a small lake, so its not that bad)

-Buffet restaurant you can find something that you will like. They have international night each night is a different country. Mexican night by far was the best. So was Dominican night (roasted pork).

-Beach Party was ok except for when it started pouring.
The nightly shows were quite good, especially international night.

-Hotel crew were good, but La Peki was AWESOME! La Peki really knows how to get you pumped up!!

-Big thanks to Yamely and Santo at the bar! Yamely made sure out group had our drinks before they finished. Santo is the ONLY bartender who mixes your drinks the way YOU like it. Also Wendy did an excellent job catering to us. Take some tips, they really deservei it!!!

Con's:

-The only pool with a swim up bar is 3 feet deep (really sucks, but the other pools are deeper and lways empty because they dont have swim up bars. This is where the tips come in handy with the pool servers!!!)

-The A la Carte restaurants are always "booked" even if you go super early to book. We had the gold bracelets and it was a hassle to get reservations. Fortunately the buffet has a little bit of everything.

-The bars serve watered down drinks unless you ask them not to do it.

-No free WiFi whatsoever! And the $25 dollar fee for wifi is just insane.

-The hotel gets crowded with locals on weekends, who stay from Friday to Sunday. They can get rowdy! Ask for a room in buildings 4-8.

NOW YOU MAY ASK WHY IT WAS BITTER SWEET IF EVERYTHING SEEMED TO BE GOOD AT THE BLUE BAY. OUR PARTY OF 6 HAD 3 ROOMS AND IN ONE ROOM AN iPhone 5 went missing. The hotel did very little to give us an explanation of what happened. I am an experienced traveler and worked in the hotel business for 5 years and I know that in most cases house keeping never takes anything. We would of loved if we got some sort of explanation and some sort of help. The hotel manager did not do anything. The only thing they did was put a machine on the door to see who else had entered the room. But they never told us if anyone else actually entered the room. We were told that they were not responsible for anything missing that was not inside the safe (once again I understand this clearly), the phone was inside one of the suitcases. It would of had been a great vacation if at least they helped us sort the issue.

Overall the hotel was quite nice and relaxing. Just try to put everything in the safe. This hotel has a lot of potential and they try so hard to make you happy! If you are trying to relax and enjoy the moment this is the place for you. No crazy drunks or young partygoers, which is just perfect. Other than the missing iPhone incident, the hotel is good.

• Stayed August 2013
Bethesda, MD
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

I am finishing up a 3 day stay at the BlueBay Villas Doradas. I did not have high expectations as rates for this all inclusive hotel are low now, and my objective was to have breakfast and dinner and sleep at the hotel. During the days I have been exploring beaches, towns and cities way beyond Playa Dorada.

First Impressions: the gate guard was friendly and facilitated parking right inside the hotel driveway. Parking space in the entrance driveway is limited and I appreciated this as I would be using my vehicle daily. The lobby is nice and airy. I received a cool towel and drink rightvaway, Front desk satff were friendly and helpful in expediting check in, and one of the friendly bellhops helped me get my things to my room. The only negative during check in was a concerted attempt to see if I would be interested in learning about their vacation club (I wasn't).

I received a back of the house room with a goid view of....the fence that separates this hotel from the next hotel"s parking lot. I was miffed at first, but after realizing they have nightly shows, these are the most quiet rooms. Along the way I could see there were 3 pools...a Spa pool for those interested in peace and quiet, a sports pool where they seemed to have constant water volleyball matches, and a general pool with a swim up bar.

None of the rooms is on the beach itself...getting to the beach is a short walk along wooden bridge that traverses a large pond with manglar groves. The beach is great...plenty of fine sand and the water is warm. Waves are small and fine for smaller children. I walked along the beach the first afternoon and there are many hotels on either side of this property. This is a low season and coincides with a three day weekend here so most guests at this and neighboring hotels were locals.

The rooms are large but very basic in terms of furnishings. Two firm queen beds were ncluded. Food was highly varied for breakfast and dinner. There are options to accomodate a wide range of tastes. The quality of the food was average, but for under a 100/night for the room inclusing three meals and all you can drink this is good value.

The only negatives I' d mention are: too much nickel and diming. Internet usage is US $25 for 25 hours of usage (this is the minimum they provide for your computer). Drinks at the lobby bar are not included. And using the in room safe costs us$3/night. Plus...you can't just charge this stuff to your room or call it in...I had to pay for the looby drink and the safe at the front desk, and for the internet with the internet guy. There was no hot water the first day. On the second day I asked whether we were supposed to get hot water I was informed they had had a problem for several days in the block I was assigned and they would finish fixing it that day. Lo and behold they actually did fix it. They should have informed up front they had this issue before assigning the room. Lastly, they provide 4 drinks in the in room fridge but no bottle cap opener.

Despite the last paragraph I think this is still a good value and it suited my purpose just fine.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Ko Phangan, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

This hotel was great, very clean, food was good, pool entertainment was great, i would love to go back someday. The beach is spotless there is lots and lots to do, if u want guaranteed sunshine and a great hotel then don't hesitate to book up for here x

• Stayed September 2012

Been to BlueBay Villas Doradas Adults Only Resort? Share your experiences!