“Our honeymoon at Blue Bay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of BlueBay Villas Doradas Adults Only

You added BlueBay Villas Doradas Adults Only to your Saves list
BlueBay Villas Doradas Adults Only
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Calle Principal Complejo Playa Dorada nr 538, Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic   |
Offers & Announcements
15% off room rate
Ranked #20 of 44 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Kent, New York
“Our honeymoon at Blue Bay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We travelled to the Dominican for the first time ever for our honeymoon. On arrival we were really impressed with the hotel. The reception staff were very helpful and friendly. We were a little disappointed with our room as they knew it was our honeymoon. There are a lot of villas near the pool which we later found out were used for vacation club guests who are on the whole Dominicans. These honeymooners get banners hung from their frontdoors !!
The whole complex was extremely clean and tidy. You would see cleaning staff throughout the day wherever you were on the complex. Everyday our room was cleaned and tidied and fresh flower petals were scattered in various places.
The food was excellent. There was a large selection for everybody. The waiting staff were the best. Especially Antonio. They made our meals a joy without being obtrusive.
The crew were the highlight of the day around the complex. James Bond is MAD... No other word for him. They are all an asset to your hotel.
The one BIG bugbear is that on the weekends from Friday till Sunday the locals descend on the place. They mostly own the holiday villas. Once they turn up you may as well be invisible to the staff around the hotel. They are bombarded with attention to get them to buy the time shares. They are noisy to say the least. They got in the pool covered in sun screen ( even though a sign says it is mandatory to shower first). Once they parked themselves at the pool bar you couldn't get near it. Their drinks were also served in glasses instead of plastic cups. Overall they did not fit in with the peaceful and tranquil setting we were led to believe we were heading for. Having said that they were mostly all friendly. If this is the case to bump up takings in the winter months then it should be stated before people book.
We were also disappointed with the fact that as an all inclusive resort you couldnt get anything to eat during the day unless you wanted a cooked meal. No snacks or sandwiches.
On the whole our trip was wonderful. We really enjoyed ourselves and we are glad we visited Blue Bay

Room Tip: Rooms nearer the pool or entertainment area would be noisy in the summer but quieter anywhere else.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (562)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
southampton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

This was our 2nd visit, once again we had a lovely holiday. Very relaxing and time to regenerate. Cant complain about much except maybe the swim up bar was a bit grimy, probably due to all the people sat around it, especially at weekends. I was a bit concerned about their hygiene habits, if you know what I mean. Also the actual bar felt quite slimy and debris often floated in the near vicinity. I don't think that guests should be allowed to sit there and smoke as cigarette ash etc. fell into the pool. We used the other pools. We met a few youngsters who were bored though, but in Blue Bay's defence it is advertised as quiet and relaxing, however I do feel the entertainment has lapsed. There are less crew and the majority of the entertainment consists of guests making fools of themselves. I'm afraid I pay to go on holiday to be entertained and NOT be the entertainment, it was mostly quite embarrassing. We did a couple of trips; the city tour with cable car, well worth it. Also to Bravissimo, a fantastic night which gave both of us a lump in our throats, it is a magnificent place with brilliant food and a Vegas style show. Not to be missed.

Dartmouth, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Check in was smooth after an early morning flight. Four other couples from same flight were also checking in. They were prepared for us, with a nice cold drink and cold cloth. Paid for our safety deposit box (which I think should be included in price, since they recommend - first time we have ever had to pay for one) and our room was ready. I did ask about an upgraded room and gentleman checking us in laughed and said we had the "gold package" so nothing more to upgrade too. Taken to our room by Carlos, who was the most amazing - the only asset we found at the front desk area. We had requested a king bed and room was two doubles pushed together, which was okay but a long crawl out of bed in the middle of night if you had to pee:) Once again I asked Carlos about upgrade and once again was told "why you have a great room here - spacious, etc." Room was very basic but hey you don't go to the south to stay in your room. Like I do at every resort I read any info given to us about the resort - read about the a la cartes - book at guest services desk - if you want to book for the current day - 9 -2; reserve for following day - 9 - 8( this from the welcome pamphlet in room, which I have with me as I am writing this). Unfortunately we didn't go on our first day as we headed straight to the beach and ended up in bed early since we had been up since 3 a.m.- and I figured no issue since I had read the protocol. We were up early and at the beach for the day on the next and figured we had lots of time to book our reservations. Before heading to the buffet for dinner we stopped at the desk to book to find no one there, with a sign up saying closed. We spotted the Concierge desk across the lobby so headed there - the woman at the Concierge desk said "oh, no they are gone for the day". When I questioned saying the resort information said opened until 8 pm she said no they were usually only there until 5. She did pick up phone to call to see if anyone around and they were gone. Then she proceeded to ask us if were interested in the Vacation Club - um, NO and where I come from the Concierge is someone you go to for help not for the big sell. Was not impressed. So finally the next morning we went to the desk at 9 to book our meals - wanted for the next night and our last two nights (we were supposed to be guaranteed 4 a al cartes with the "gold package" and we only needed 3). We sit down with young man and he very bluntly says "you are too late, why are booking so late, there is nothing left!!" I was like "pardon me but your booklet states these are your hours and this is the procedure" - his response "No it doesn't". Well I don't really being appreciated being called a liar. So after sparring back and forth he "squeezes" us into three evenings. Then I ask about an upgrade (we came to the resort with extra cash, as we always do at resorts, for upgrading. We have never had a problem at any resort with upgrade, after all that is the name of the game at most places - more money! He says no, that is not possible then proceeded to pick up the phone and start talking to someone in Spanish - I have never been treated so rudely in my life! Especially as a paying customer. Now some may think that we had been rude but that is not the case - we both work in customer service and if either one of us treated a customer/client the way he did, we would be reprimanded. Asked if we could talk to the Manager and were told not available. We left the desk, feeling quite aggravated - great way to feel on a birthday rest and relaxation trip - but not before stating that what I had read of reviews was spot on - that I would definitely never recommend the resort. Went to the beach then onto the buffet at lunch. After lunch as we were leaving the buffet, this young man finds us and tells us that magically an upgraded room has opened up and that we are welcome to look at it - and if we wanted it there would be no extra charge (we were quite willing to pay, as stated we have at other resorts). We looked and we took - it was in one of the bungalows and was quite nice. Still can not understand why this was such a hassle, we found out by talking to other guests that resort was far from 100% occupancy.
That really was the only negative about the resort - the beds were quite hard and rooms were sparse with not much storage space, a little improvisation is needed. I have been reading that they are doing overhauls on the rooms, which is good. We had the shower head fall of in first room, and it was fixed right away the same day. And had a problem with our safe, it was one of the last few older safes and it would not open - not a good thing to happen when you have an excursion booked for that day - but locksmith came and my spouse went off with him and the safe to the workshop, where he proceeded to blowtorch it open - my spouse had visions of our passports, tickets and extra money going up in smoke. It was all fixed before we were picked up for our excursion.
Once you got past the front desk, the resort staff were simply amazing - everyone from the cleaners, wait staff, bartenders, animation team and room attendants. A special notice has to be said about Demaris - our night maid at the second room - absolutely outstanding - every resort should have at least one Demaris.
We didn't have a problem at all with the Vacation Club people, we always keep a low profile and always stay at the beach when at resorts. We were only approached once by one guy at the pool as we were walking through midway through our week and we said no not interested. So really didn't have an issue as others have had.
The vendors on the beach could be a pain but a firm no usually sent them on their way. Loved Cheapy Willy, still have my anklet on he gave me.
Great beach! Just don't understand negatives comments about it being a horrible beach - so what if it isn't white sand - the water is warm and the beach is nice.
Food - at first it is good then nearing the end of the week it was the same everyday, not much change in variety. Loved the Asian restaurant and also the Seafood restaurant - which by the way, we were squeezed into, and they were only 1/4 full.
The grounds were immaculate except for the first stinky part of the walkway to the beach. Short walk to the mall - had an issue trying to get diet Pepsi on the resort - Carlos actually offered to go buy for us, which we declined - we just walked to the store and bought for the room.
Excursions - we did the dune buggy, which we booked through James at the mall - so much fun, for sure a highlight of the trip. And we did the Catamaran, which we booked with one of the guys on the beach - highly recommend - we had never before done the catarmaran and we don't know why, an A-1 day and an A-1 crew.
So my overall rating of the resort is only a 3, and that is from the front desk staff - not even a thank you for staying, have a safe trip home, when checking out. The rest of the staff brought the rating up for sure. They really should stop concentrating so much on The Vacation Club - and put a little more effort into the other paying customers. As stated, we were willing to pay up to $500 for an upgrade and were turned down at every attempt. This has never happened to us, most resorts are more than happy to take more money from you. I would not recommend the "gold" package - only thing extra is free wifi and a champagne breakfast. You are supposed to have the 4 a la cartes but good luck! Couple from Ontario we met, they tried to book their 4 dinners the day they arrived and they couldn't - met the same barrier we did.
The adult only resort category is quite competitive and if this resort wants to keep up then they have some reorganizing to do. A good start is the rooms, which they are doing.
I just couldn't understand why anyone would want to buy into the Vacation Club, much nicer places around. I am thinking that the price must be considerably lower than others because I really would not want to go back to this resort every year for 30 years.

Room Tip: In booking your room I would stay away from building 8 or villa 3 or 4 - they are back on to the sti...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

Just come home from a 2 week holiday and had a fab time the crew was so much fun playing all the games with us an I won a bottle of rum so was even better George an mayo r the funnyest guys at the place will miss them a lot room was gr8 an food was fab I will defo be going back next year

Jersey City, NJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

My husband and I traveled to D.R. for the first time with another couple. I will say this...the staff made the trip amazing and memorable! They went out of their way to extend the best customer service.

Upon arrival, we were greeted with the most delicious sweet tea. That immediately set the tone of excellent customer service that was extended the duration of the trip.

Check-in: The front desk staff was very efficient in checking us in. Be sure to have a print-out of your voucher/receipt as documentation, just in case. They also made copies of our passports (I'm assuming for verification and security). We were given a map of the grounds. At that time, we also made reservations for dinner at the a la carte restaurants for two of the three evenings we were there. Beware that, after your check-in, the VIP staff will try to encourage you to upgrade your package. We politely declined.

Baggage: They held our baggage in the lobby area while they prepped our room. The bags were later delivered to our room.

Room: Our room was very clean and was one of the newer rooms on-site. We checked in a bit early, so our originally booked room wasn't available. The front desk staff worked to find one that was clean and available...which turned out to be a room with two double-beds, instead of one king. No problem. My husband and I slept in one double-bed. It was semi-comfy. The lack of towels was an issue. I called the front desk (recepcion) several times to request a fresh sets of towels and waited about 30 minutes for them to be delivered.

Food: The buffet was ok. The food was mildly seasoned. My favorite was the pasta station, at which you give the chef a plate of your selections and he prepares it on the spot. It's fresh and hot. Breakfast - traditional. Lunch - variety. Dinner - traditional. Our favorite meal was dinner at the Asian fusion restaurant on-site. Be sure to make reservations upon check-in.

Beverages: The alcoholic beverages were not served with top shelf liquor, which was fine. We really enjoyed the pina colada mixed frozen drink, which is served at the pool bar.

Swimming Pool: We enjoyed hanging in the swimming pools. Neither were too crowded and allowed us to actually swim with plenty of space. We also played volleyball with other resort guests, which was a fun activity.

Spa: Just hours before we checked out, my husband and I went to the spa to get a couple's massage. IT WAS AMAZING! Highly, highly recommended.

Entertainment: On the last evening, we decided to partake in on-site entertainment provided by the staff. We were excited to watch a show presented to us. Little to our knowledge did we know we'd become the talent. My friend and I were asked to participate in the "Miss Blue Bay 2013 Pageant." Done. Lol! We had to perform meringue, imitate our spouses and other semi-embarrassing acts. Nonetheless, it was memorable and fun. We didn't win, but were gifted with bottles of rum as a souvenir :)

Money: We decided not to exchange our US dollars for pesos. Do keep in mind, however, that the US dollar has a higher rate and greater value, of course. The staff graciously and enthusiastically accepted our gratuities in US money.

Excursion: We booked an excursion to Paradise Island via Cayo Arena Tours, located NW of Puerta Plata. We took a bus ride (air conditioned bus) for 1.5 hours to our destination. The bus held 20 people, which we picked up from other resorts along the way. It was a great cultural experience, as we were able to observe a third world country firsthand including coming across herds of cows in the middle of the dirt road we traveled. The tour guides explained the area and gave us a thorough historical perspective as we rode through the town. We were able to take tons of pictures. We finally arrived at the Cayo Arena gift shop/restaurant to change into our swim gear, for those who needed to prep.

We got back on the bus and finally arrived at the destination. A beach. We put on life vests and loaded into three different speedboats (nervously) when we saw the vast ocean - miles and miles and miles. Simply beautiful, yes, but for those persons like me who aren't strong swimmers, I was a bit nervous. We proceeded toward Paradise Island. The ride was beautiful and a bit bumpy. I had to remember to stay calm and enjoy the beautiful nature. We finally arrived to the paraside island. It is indeed a small paradise. Sand with a few huts. Beautiful clear shallow water...which gets deeper the further you travel. We unloaded and walked to our assigned group hut. We put our belongings down (all was safe) and received a mini talk about snorkeling. They gave us rum/coke and fresh fruit then we ventured out to go snorkeling. When I say "ventured," we waded in the water until we reached waist deep and proceeded to swim and look at beautiful blue fish. It was a very controlled and safe environment. For the stronger swimmers, a tour guide led them out a bit farther into a deeper area, but not too far. We enjoyed that for about 30 minutes then chilled on the "beach" part for the remainder of the stay on the island. We brought towels so we could lay out, drink and take a million pics. We bought our own underwater camera and snapped some shots while snorkeling, too. The scene is perfect for a photo shoot, lol. After 2 hours or so, we loaded back into the speed boat, returned to shore, back to the bus. We returned to the Cayo Arena restaurant for a buffet lunch (beans, rice, salad, fried chicken). It was ok. We hopped back on the bus and returned to our resort. Paradise Island was the highlight of our trip. It was worth $60pp!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

I stayed at Blue Bay from Feb 4-feb 11, 2013, This was my first time in Dominican Republic. The room was great, food was awesome, drinks in the pool with Juan was amazing, the front desk was very attentive.

The best time I had was the entertainment and entertainers.. The best entertainer I met was Jorge.. Jorge was a very vibrant, energetic, courteous to everybody. If I had any questions regarding anything, I asked Jorge and he always tended to my needs and if he did not know answer he found out from someone else.. The nightly entertainment was always a joy to watch.. I never Missed a show. I especially like when Jorge and his crew would engage customers to get involved with the show.. that was really fun to watch... I found Jorge to be the best of the best as an entertainer.. Best nightly entertainment I ever experienced.. I would definitely go back to Blue bay as a holiday.. and I really hope Jorge is still working there... :)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Farnham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

I stayed at Bluebay in May 2013 with a friend I can say its the best holiday ive been on! The staff were all so nice, the hotel- being an adults only was very nice, its nice and quiet and no fight for a sunbed. The beach is really nice and the bar is good for grabbing some food in the middle of the day, or late at night! There was a big selection of food in the buffet restaurant which was good, you would always find something that you could eat.

The entertainment team were amazing, George, Mayo and Commando! They work so hard and get as many people as possible involved in the pool games and other activities throughout the day. They also do a trip to the local nightclub every evening which we went on once, it was good and the drinks weren't too expensive. (about $10 for two vodkas and coke) The nightclub does fill up with a lot of Dominicans but if you go with the entertainment team from the hotel then you don't get hassled by other people. I don't think I would go here without a large group of people or without the entertainment team. The evening entertainment was always really good, it does finish at 11.00 but we found most people would either just go back to their room or go down to the beach bar for a couple of drinks.

The room we stayed in was really nice! Overlooking the spa pool at the far end of the complex, it was really quiet here so didn't get disturbed at all. The room was nice with air con, bathroom was nice size and good shower! The hairdryer in our room was broken at first so we called the reception and straightaway someone came out and replaced it!

We went on quite a lot of trips whilst we were out there.

Paradise Island- A 2 hour coach journey to where you get the speedboat to the island. A little sand bar with a couple of shacks for shade. You spend about 2 hours on the island which is perfect as once you've had a snorkel and a bit of a sunbathe then you've had enough.

Ocean World- We did the royal swim (an hour with dolphins) and did the sealion encounter which was amazing. It was quite expensive but was worth it as a once in a lifetime experience! If we didn't do the encounters it would have been quite a long day as whilst there are other things you can do it wouldn't fill up a whole day.

Extreme Adventure- This was a new trip by Thomson which included Zipwiring, Horseriding and jumping and sliding down 12 waterfalls! Was such a good day! For the waterfall part of the day you have to climb a massive hill for about 45 minutes but once you get to the start of the waterfalls you forget about the massive climb! The staff were brilliant and made you feel very safe.

I cant think of many downpoints to the hotel other than at the weekends there are a lot of Dominicans who come into the hotel. They don't cause any trouble but it is a bit of a change to the quieter days in the week.

Overall I can say this holiday has got to be the best ive been on- just wish it was longer! Because the hotel is small you get to know pretty much everyone and we made some great friends whilst we were out there. I would definitely go back!

Room Tip: The rooms by the spa pool are nice and quiet.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Been to BlueBay Villas Doradas Adults Only? Share your experiences!