Second stay at Blue Bay, El Dorado, Puerto Plata, DR. Last trip was in July 2010
It was restorative and delightful for us. Just what we needed for a mid-winter break. Lots of reading, relaxing, and sleeping in the sun.
The resort is small compared to others in the area. I still got lots of exercise walking and swimming.
The landscaping is well maintained and lovely.
BEACH: Everything I wanted. The sand is not rocky. The seaweed is raked up every morning. The water is comfortable.
EXTREME SHORTAGE OF BEACH CHAIRS. By 7:00 AM all beach beds and chairs were taken, mostly with towels; not people.
On the plus side. One morning I woke at 5:00 and walked to the beach. The walkway is lit, the beach bar is open, and the fellows are there and ready to set up chairs. I watched the stars until sunrise.
Say "No, thank you." to the vendors. Be very firm if they try to sit on your bed or chair.
No beach fleas.
Negative: There is a walkway to the beach that is attractive. Unfortunately there is a stagnant pool of water along that walkway. That swamp/puddle stinks so much that I held my breath when passing in both February, rainy season, and summer.
POOLS: The bar pool is separate from the other main pool. That works for me. Neither pool is huge. Bar pool had water aerobics.
Volleyball was midday in the other pool. I was always able to swim laps, float around, and relax in that pool. Best of all for me, there are several beds poolside. One was always available when I wanted one.
The "serenity pool" really needs maintenance. The railing for the steps is STILL loose and rocks.
FOOD: plentiful and OK. I found the beef distasteful/inedible but the chicken and turkey were very good. I often gathered other chopped vegetables for the pasta bar.
I had a good chuckle about the "cranberry sauce" for the turkey. My best guess is that a can of jellied cranberry sauce was added to the turkey gravy.
The bread is worth the calories. On the bread table there is a bowl of spiced chopped tomatoes that make a tasty relish on many dishes and salads.
Chocolate croissants were available each morning. Delicious dark chocolate.
Smoothies: The morning fresh smoothies were no longer available! That was disappointing. There was a yogurt dressing for fresh fruit at breakfast so I made do with that. There are also tasty juices.
Salads: There were always an assortment of choices for salads. Balsamic vinegar was a nice find.
I rarely drink alcohol but suspect that the vodka was watered down. Wine was dreadful but the champagne was good.
I recommend bringing insulated cups.
Timeshare Salespeople: Someone here wrote that they can not talk to you on first and last day. That worked on the 1st day. Day 2 my husband told them that he had "pledged" himself to another salesperson. That was respected and we were not bothered.
Beds, pillows, and linens are lumpy, lumpy, and thin.
Rooms are bland but we did not plan on staying in the room.
INTERNET: knocked off often. $60/device/week.
BUDGET RENT A CAR: UNRELIABLE!!!!!!!!!!! Better of getting a driver. Budget rented us a car that was not insured. It was impounded by the police. Budget wanted us to hire a taxi to go pick up the rental car. They were disrespectful and argumentative.
Do not be afraid to ask for a driver/cab to take you for a half day in Puerto Plata. We had fun shopping and drinking beer at a beach bar while watching the kite-surfers.
We were there the 3rd week of February. Seemed to me that most people were over 55 years of age.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- BlueBay Villas Doradas is an Adults Only 24 hour All Inclusive resort in Puerto Plata, was completely refurbished in 2006 providing facilities and rooms of the highest quality. This hotel in Puerto Plata, which is only for the over 18s, is an ideal place for couples to relax or enjoy their honeymoon or wedding. Its location - literally next to the 18-hole Playa Dorada golf course designed by Robert Trent Jones – makes it a favourite among golfers.The hotel’s rooms and suites are equipped to the highest standard, in keeping with the quality of the resort and its recent refurbishment – all include cable TV, mini bars and ironing facilities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with T4B, Booking.com, Expedia, Tingo, Travelocity, BookIt.com, Otel, Priceline, Hotels.com, Odigeo and Venere so you can book your BlueBay Villas Doradas Adults Only Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bluebay Villas Doradas Hotel Puerto Plata
- Bluebay Hotel Puerto Plata
- Bluebay Hotel Doradas
- Blue Bay Getaway Villas Doradas
- Blue Bay Getaway Dominican Republic