“Absolutely fantastic!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of ClubHotel Riu Merengue

Save Saved
You added ClubHotel Riu Merengue to your Saves list
ClubHotel Riu Merengue
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Bahia de Maimon, Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Up to $2000 Resort Credit
Ranked #9 of 41 hotels in Puerto Plata
Atherstone, United Kingdom
“Absolutely fantastic!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

I love this hotel! I have been twice on a family holiday and I would definatley go again. The hotel is beautiful, the staff are really friendly, the food is beautiful and there is soo much choice. The entertainment at night is always very good. There are 3 hotels connected together and they share a beach which is really cool, the beach is long so you can walk along it. Would recommend to anyone!!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

3,769 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (438)
  • Polish first
Elizabeth, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

My family and I went for two nights (including my parents) and had a blast (The perfect weather help abundantly). We really enjoy the food and the extra excursion that the resort offered. The excursions offered were great, but it was something extra that we had to pay out of pocket which is reasonable. My son enjoyed the children playground even though there wasn’t much items in the kids section. The staff was great and pleasant to be around, specially the personal working in the restaurants. The only restaurant that we went too was the, “Los Almendros,” and they had a variety of great food. The only issue that we encounter was the A/C on our room. The A/C in our room wasn’t working properly. As a result, we called the front desk and they send the maintenance personnel to work on the issue and after working on the unit, the A/C was blowing a faint air, but it was not cold (It was difficult sleeping at night). All in all, we had a great stay with a minor problem.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My family and I visited the Riu Merengue from August 12th to the 19th. There were 10 of us in total and we had a great time. While our resort was significantly lacking in elegance compared to the Riu Bachata, the fact that we had access to everything except dinner on the other resort really made up for it. There were two downfalls; the first being the amount of locals on the resort. We were largely outnumbered by Dominicans who were spending the day, weekend, or entire week on the resort. The second negative was the lack of English spoken by the resort staff. There were huge language barriers, but we managed. I overheard a few other Canadian tourists complaining about the lack of friendliness and lack of English, but ultimately, you get what you pay for. We paid $800 for the week and we definitely got our money's worth. But unless you're paying big bucks, it's unfair to have extravagant expectations. The food was good, the rooms were small but served their intended purpose, the staff were friendly. Ultimately, it was between a 3.5 and 4.5 star resort. The beach was nice, however it is VERY rocky and I would recommend bringing water shoes with you if you intend to swim in the beach water. We did two excursions. The first excursion was the Outback and it was AMAZING! We were hosted by Julian who spoke good English, was well versed in his history, and brought us to see the home of a local named Papo and try their coffee and hot chocolate grown from their very own backyard. There was an open bar on the bus which was great to not miss out on any alcohol while off the resort. And the restaurant they took us to to eat had a lot of food and the quality of the food was even better than the resort! I had 5 pieces of fried chicken and it went down perfectly. The second excursion we did was a city tour of Puerto Plata. We wanted to do the cable car as well but had two seniors with us so skipped that part. We did get to the base of the cable car and it wasn't as long of a ride as I had thought it would be but considering it's only an extra few dollars it might have been worth the view. In terms of the resort's entertainment, the resort's animation team did an amazing job. They had different shows every night, everything from Rock n' Roll to Michael Jackson to a Grease re-enactment. On Monday night, the Riu Bachata had karaoke for the guests which was a lot of fun and I would suggest getting up on stage for the memories. The Riu Bachata seemed to have a lot more tourists and the swim-up bar was a great place to spend the day. The bartenders there are great. Lastly, the disco. It's on the Riu Merengue resort so you get people from Bachata there as well. I don't know why, but you have to pay for your drinks in the disco. I recommend pre-drinking on the resort before going in to save some money. And when you get there, don't expect a lot of English music, or any at all. It seems to be strictly Latin music, which is fine except considering that's all you hear on the resort, you might wanna shake your butt to something English. During the weekends when there are a lot of locals don't expect anything other than Merengue and Bachata music and dancing. One thing I really liked about this resort is that unlike a lot of places, they still take great care of you even if you don't tip. I went back and gave them all something before I left for their hospitality, especially the maids. They are very appreciative of whatever you can give them, and believe me, we've got a lot more on any given day than they do. Overall, great vacation if you've got humble expectations and are looking to stay at a modest resort.

Room Tip: We had to switch rooms due to some "supernatural" activity if you know what I mean. Don...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Roselle, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

first i want to say that we been to this resort 5 times over the last 2 years,and im sorry to say it will probably be the last! the resort is being over run with locals.i pay for 7days and only get to enjoy 4.friday,saturday, and sunday,it all belongs to the locals.there are no seats in the buffet there are no seats at the snack bar,kids are running all over the place,do your self a favor look some where else.my wife and i enjoyed this resort the last few years however this past year there has been a noticable change with management and employees ownership is sooner or later going to have to decide who is more important the people paying a thousand bucks for a ocean front room or the locals .asta la vista

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Dundee, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My husband and I stayed here back in May 2013 (not 2014 as stated) with my in laws. The hotel was clean and all staff friendly. Bar service was great but beware the cocktails are in fact just different flavoured slushies with your choice of spirit poured in. Good variety of food.

The entertainment team are quite insistent and pushy to get you involved in the activities throughout the day, not ideal if you just want to relax by the pool. Never had any problem getting a sunbed, but maybe because May is a quieter time of year. Stay clear of the pool with the swim up bar if you want peace to read/listen to music as the young group holidays tend to stay here and throw litter in pool etc.

Beautiful scenery, cracking beach, great staff and the optics in your room are a bonus! Only reason I didn't give 5 out of 5 is because at the weekend when the locals come and stay, they let their kids run riot, leaving mess in the pool and eat like there is no tomorrow and they have no respect for the other guests or the property. Poor hotel staff try their best but they are out of control at times. At first I thought I was being fussy but it turns out several others have had the same experience, which is a shame.

Take advantage of the trips on offer as Puerto Plata isn't the type of place where you could take a wander into the town, it seems very dangerous.

Worthwhile visiting the Brugal rum factory. Yummy! And also, when ordering at the bar, be specific and ask for Brugal rum otherwise they will give you bog standard rum. Brugal is phenomenal, even if you're not a big rum drinker I urge you to try it!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
New york
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

The hotel is nice but the room has a 12 inch tv and the ac is very weak. The restaraunts are all located outside and tend to become very hot! In my room I found and was forced to kill 3 cockroaches! The reception laughed when I told them about the cockroaches! It was digusting and the roaches crawled on us at night! Very disgusting room in cleanliness!

• Stayed August 2014
Newport Gwent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I booked this holiday to celebrate my wife's 50th Birthday, before we booked & after I read numerous reviews about this hotel. I have to say now after our visit that if you have booked you have no worries at all, as long as you are not exspecting 5* luxury, if thats what your after then pay another £1000 & get it. What you will find is a hotel that has some of the best friendliest hard working staff you could ask for, working in 30de gree heat to make your holiday spiecial !. Its right on a beutiful beach & if you walk past the shacks selling tac at the end of the beach you'll find 3 bays which you can have almost all to your self. We had 17days here in March/April & the weather was very good,constant 30 broken up by a few hrs of rain now & again. I'm not a fussy eater, however my wife is picky & neither of us could fault the food, the steak restraunt & the italian were lovely too.
We went to the sea life centre & swam with dolphins, sting rays & sharks which was brilliant (The highlight of the trip for my wife) I think it was excellent value for money (we did the royal swim).
I would have no quarms about going back to this hotel, its the lowest priced hotel in the caribian & represents great value for money, as you have use of all the facilities of the Batchata as well.

Room Tip: Visit the sea life centre
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to ClubHotel Riu Merengue? Share your experiences!