We stayed from the end f July for 3 weeks and had a fantastic time. We had originally been extremely worried about what to expect given the reviews but we had nothing to worry about.
The rooms are a bit dated but we found them to be okay and who can complain when the view is palm trees and the beach.
There are 3 different pools that cold be used but we mainly stuck to the Merengue because it's more child friendly. The pool staff and in particular Danny were great and made us feel really welcome. There were always sun bed available and that was with 11 of us so cant understand the problem.
The bar staff were fantastic. Even when it was busy you were never made to wait. Diaz in particular was great with us and ensured that we had no problems.
The massages on the beach were out of this world. Maria was our favourite.
And what can I say about the entertainment team? They were great. Maria was fantastic with the kids during the day and then later at the disco. The others including sexy belly, Bon Bon, cheeky monkey, mini me, sexy Lucy, spaghetti and candy were so friendly and tried really hard to ensure that everybody was happy. We loved the beach party the best and would definitely recommend them doing tht more than once a fortnight. The parties on Caribbean street were good as well
Only thing we didn't really like was the break in the middle with international music.
The food was fine as well. There was always a lot of choice and even though I'm a fussy eater I had no problems. The waiters at the restaurant were so friendly and accommodating especially javier.
We all dreaded the weekends coming because of the reviews but again there was no need. Yes it got busier but here were no problems. The locals were great and really knew how to enjoy themselves. They did not cause any problems. In fact I would say it was some of the British that didn't know how to behave. The way they spoke to people and he faces they made at them made we ashamed to be from the same country as them. Why shouldn't the locals come and enjoy the resort. Would we be happy not to be allowed to go to places in the UK because we are locals?
All in all we have had a great three weeks and would definitely recommend the place to others.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Merengue
- Clubhotel Riu Merengue Hotel
- Club Hotel Riu Merengue
- Clubhotel Riu Merengue Puerto Plata
- Riu Merengue Dominican Republic
- Riu Merengue Puerto Plata
- Rui Merengue
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Located on the beach in Maimon Bay * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * Located in the Riu Resort, near ClubHotels Riu Bachata and Riu Mambo * Main building and 1-story bungalow complex * Surrounded by 15,000 m2 / 18,000 sq. yards of tropical gardens * 9 km / 5.5 miles from Puerto Plata * 150 m / 495 ft. from Caribbean Street * 25 km / 15.5 miles from Puerto Plata Intl. Airport * 300 m / 990 ft. from a bus stop * Credit cards accepted: Visa, MasterCard, Amex, Diners ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Cheap Tickets, Priceline, BookIt.com, Otel and Tingo so you can book your ClubHotel Riu Merengue reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.