A quick review but feel free to ask me questions.
Rooms - not so great but you are only there to sleep. Maids did a wonderful job. Beds are uncomfortable as mentioned but after the bar you don't notice!
Food- I though the buffets was better than the ala cartes. I liked breakfast the best but hubby liked dinner the best. Never went hunger. Food was good and no tummy problems. Did get a bit old after a few days
Drinks - Watered down, some are not with alcohol unless you ask. I'm not a big drinker so I didn't mind.
Pool- very nice until the animaction team comes and plays music. I never want to hear those two songs again! Or trademark catchphrases of the head guy. This was great for families just wasn't our scene.
Beach- Great. Not the white sand on the Caribbean sea but still beauttiful. Small rocks didn't need water shoes. Paddleboats and kayaks were fun. Hubby loved the topless women.
Excursions - Parasailing boat was broken so I didnt get to do that. Did horseback riding through Scuba Caribe $30 pp for 3 hours. Not bad for the price but the beach was dirty and the guide kind of creepy. Outback Safari , $79 pp was the best one we did! Jesse, Scooby and Julian were all great. The boogie boarding was awesome. Also did the Banana Republic Catamaran $60 pp, was okay expecting more snorkling time. Took 2 hours to get to reef. I was also expecting the boat with a water slide as hubby isnt a snorkeler but was laughed at when I asked. The boat had been broken for 2 months. Rum and beer was free flowing. Our last trip was hiring a taxi and guide for $30 total to take us on a city tour. Pedro took us the Brugal, cigar and all other places we asked such as stores, lunch etc.
I also get a massage from Elizabeth on the last hut on the Mambo side beach huts. It was $30 for an hour and by far the best massage I have had even compared to the high class spas here in NYC.
Staff- Most of the staff was very nice but there a front desk guy hassling us for tips. Wilton at the front desk was great and made sure I had a oceanview building as I requested. Maids were great as were bartenders. Chefs and waitstaff were also very nice. Scuba Caribe staff was a bit aloof.
Overall it was a good vacation for under $3000! I wont be back but I would recommend it for families on a budget or a girls/guys weekend.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Located on the beach in Maimon Bay * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * Located in the Riu Resort, near ClubHotels Riu Bachata and Riu Mambo * Main building and 1-story bungalow complex * Surrounded by 15,000 m2 / 18,000 sq. yards of tropical gardens * 9 km / 5.5 miles from Puerto Plata * 150 m / 495 ft. from Caribbean Street * 25 km / 15.5 miles from Puerto Plata Intl. Airport * 300 m / 990 ft. from a bus stop * Credit cards accepted: Visa, MasterCard, Amex, Diners ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, BookIt.com, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Despegar.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your ClubHotel Riu Merengue reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Clubhotel Riu Merengue Hotel
- Club Hotel Riu Merengue
- Clubhotel Riu Merengue Puerto Plata
- Riu Merengue Dominican Republic
- Riu Merengue Puerto Plata
- Rui Merengue