“You get what you pay for at the RIU Mambo” 3 of 5 stars
Review of ClubHotel Riu Merengue

You added ClubHotel Riu Merengue to your Saves list
ClubHotel Riu Merengue
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Bahia de Maimon, Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Ranked #11 of 42 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Watertown, New York
“You get what you pay for at the RIU Mambo”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2008

A quick review but feel free to ask me questions.

Rooms - not so great but you are only there to sleep. Maids did a wonderful job. Beds are uncomfortable as mentioned but after the bar you don't notice!

Food- I though the buffets was better than the ala cartes. I liked breakfast the best but hubby liked dinner the best. Never went hunger. Food was good and no tummy problems. Did get a bit old after a few days

Drinks - Watered down, some are not with alcohol unless you ask. I'm not a big drinker so I didn't mind.

Pool- very nice until the animaction team comes and plays music. I never want to hear those two songs again! Or trademark catchphrases of the head guy. This was great for families just wasn't our scene.

Beach- Great. Not the white sand on the Caribbean sea but still beauttiful. Small rocks didn't need water shoes. Paddleboats and kayaks were fun. Hubby loved the topless women.

Excursions - Parasailing boat was broken so I didnt get to do that. Did horseback riding through Scuba Caribe $30 pp for 3 hours. Not bad for the price but the beach was dirty and the guide kind of creepy. Outback Safari , $79 pp was the best one we did! Jesse, Scooby and Julian were all great. The boogie boarding was awesome. Also did the Banana Republic Catamaran $60 pp, was okay expecting more snorkling time. Took 2 hours to get to reef. I was also expecting the boat with a water slide as hubby isnt a snorkeler but was laughed at when I asked. The boat had been broken for 2 months. Rum and beer was free flowing. Our last trip was hiring a taxi and guide for $30 total to take us on a city tour. Pedro took us the Brugal, cigar and all other places we asked such as stores, lunch etc.

I also get a massage from Elizabeth on the last hut on the Mambo side beach huts. It was $30 for an hour and by far the best massage I have had even compared to the high class spas here in NYC.

Staff- Most of the staff was very nice but there a front desk guy hassling us for tips. Wilton at the front desk was great and made sure I had a oceanview building as I requested. Maids were great as were bartenders. Chefs and waitstaff were also very nice. Scuba Caribe staff was a bit aloof.

Overall it was a good vacation for under $3000! I wont be back but I would recommend it for families on a budget or a girls/guys weekend.

• Liked — Beach/Pool , Staff
  • Disliked — Rooms
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (475)
  • Polish first
Cape May Court House, N.J.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2008

Trip Advisor
Trip Report

At: Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic
Hotel : Riu Merengue- standard room
Address Bahia De Maimon, Puerto Plata, POP, DR
Length of stay- seven nights
May 3 to May 9, 2008

I liked the Riu Merengue. My room had a nice tile floor with an outside balcony. The mini bar was stocked with vodka, gin, rum, and whiskey. The hard Liquor was second shelf, so I had to use a liberal hand when pouring to get a strong drink. It was also stocked with two pepsi's, two diet cola's, two tonic water, and club soda's and two beers. The min fridge is re stocked every two days, which I found very adequate. Bottled water is also supplied. Make sure it is sealed.
DON'T DRINK THE WATER FROM THE TAP UNLESS YOU WANT TO BECOME VERY SICK FOR 5 OR SIX DAYS.
The 20 inch T.V. had poor reception on the English speaking channels, a few Spanish channels came in clear. I remember about 40 channels.
There is a room safe in the closet.
The grounds of the resort are well kept and landscaped. There is about a mile of beach and three hotels. You can use any pool, bar, or night club on the properties, but you must eat meals at your hotel.
If you want very good service at the resort bars, tip your bartender a few dollars each night.
The resort also has a shoppers row- sundries, pharmacy, gym, cigars, and a small game room.
If you visit the resorts web site, they state men must wear a jacket to dinner. Nonsense. I wore a jacket my first night and I was cooked along with my dinner. I was the only fool, correction, person to wear a jacket in a dining hall with two hundred people. Wear casual, or classy casual, and you'll be fine. The "jacket policy" is probably only enforced to throw out an occasional unruly person.
The Beach is very nice with plenty of chaise chairs for everyone. The ocean was very rocky if you went in about 10 feet. Once over the rocks, the sea became a submerged Savannah with grass growing on the bottom. It was about three feet deep and you can wade out quite far in thigh deep water. The resort was between two rocky headlands of water. I did not detect any strong currents, but this beach ( Atlantic Ocean ? ) is not very good for swimming or snorkeling.
As you come to either end of the resorts beach boundary, there are shacks that sell souvenir. Be leery of the cigars. Most are over priced or of poor quality. The vanilla cigars are good. Most item's, probably all, can be bartered over. Most vendors were polite, but there was definitely pressure to buy. If you make a right on the beach, a hut is advertising one hour massages for U.S. $ 40:00. I did not get a massage here, but it might be worth a try. One shop keeper warned me not to continue down the beach, as it became isolated and possibly I could be robbed. There was a warning sign not to continue posted on a tree.
The food was surprisingly good for Buffet style. Each night, the Buffet would feature a carved turkey, roasted pork ( very good ) and of course, endless pasta dishes, beef, chicken, pork and stir fry's, and endless variations. Usually, one fish dish. The grouper fish was excellent both nights I tried it. Try it with the fish gravy. I do wish they had more sea food selections, and prime rib of beef at least one night would have been nice.
Three kinds of wine and beer are served complimentary at your request by wait staff.
Two kinds of soup- usually passable- O.K., I'm a bit of a soup Nazi when it comes to soup.
There was also a complete salad bar, cheese and fruit. One night I had a wedge of bleu cheese for dessert !
A decent desert bar with pastries, and a ice cream sundae bar round out your dining experience.
Breakfast was a nice affair, with almost any thing you would want. Scrambled eggs, fried eggs, sunny side or over, made to order omelets, French toast, pancakes that were excellent one morning, and passable the next, and your usual mix of cereal ( hot and cold ) toast, pastries, bagels, and fruit.
Do try the morning juice bar, six different blends of fresh squeezed juice. I really liked the banana smoothie.
The Merengue had two sit down restaurants, Italian and a steak house. Both were decent, but the steaks are not the same quality as in the states. You must make reservations before 10:00 am in the main Buffet room for these restaurants. The main attraction for both places, after you help yourself at the soup and salad bar, your order is then taken and your dinner, dessert and coffee are served by wait staff.
Lunch was O.K. A salad and Fruit bar, Hamburgers, hot dogs, soup.
The late night snacks, usually after hitting the bars and nightclubs, was only passable. Usually Hamburgers, French Fries, pizza.
The water and ice in the restaurants and bars are purified.
I am a bit of a gourmand, and there is a LOT of food. I was basically happy with the food.
My final thoughts on the Riu Merengue are it is a beautiful resort, and if you don't mind staying in the resort, you will have a great time. I like to roam and explore the country side by myself , even if that means walking or taking a local bus, and there is a safety issue. Many parts of the island were very bland and not scenic, but I did tour every where.
It is the most economical of all the islands for what you get.

Renova spa- I had a very good massage by Jessy. Ask for the Buy three massage-get one free, before YOUR first massage $ 70:00 dollars for fifty minutes. I had the deep tissue. Sports, Swedish and others therapies avaliable.
Located on middle of beach. Main office on shoppers row.
www.renovaspa.com

Tours around the Island

Outback Safari $ 79:00 A huge open truck takes you through the country side. Visit a native house, and be served delicious spiced coffee made with cinnamon and brown sugar. Visit a local farm and learn native plants. A refreshing swim in a river. A boat tour and local spiders and snakes. Decent lunch. An ocean swim on an empty beach. A stop at an souvenir stand. Sit behind the cab to save your back. Excellent guides. Highly recommended.

Cayo Paraiso $ 90:00 dollars. A twisty drive thru the mountains ( one person became car sick, and I almost did ) and you arrive at the ocean. A speed boat whisks you to a sandbar in the ocean, where each company has huts set up. snorkeling gear is supplied, and the snorkeling is very good. Fresh fruit, rum and soda is supplied, along with a "sandwich" of one slice of ham.
You return to the coast and visit the mangroves. Then a lunch of fish or chicken and pasta. Long drive thru boring country side of dried out pastures on a dirt road. Stop at a cigar factory and return to your hotel. Recommended.

Freestyle Catamaran- $ 79:00 Dollars .What I thought would be a scenic sail down the coast turned into a horse powered cruise. The reef at one spot appeared dead. Another reef was not much better, with a lack of reef colors and fish. Lunch consisted of rolls, lunch meat turkey, ham, and a choice of mayo or mustard. Hard boiled eggs and a weak looking pasta salad was supplied. Don't bother going back for seconds, everyone had one sandwich and the "Buffet" was complete.
Beer, rum and soda was dispensed, and that was the extent of the "Bar" So, the lunch and open bar can be summed up as "joke".
The "highlight" of this trip was when I was whistled back to the boat from snorkeling. The crew decided to have a "Biggest splash" contest. Gee, I thought it was a snorkeling adventure .
On the cruise back, the crew entertained us with singing and dancing. Don't ask. At the completion of the tour, the crew told us they hoped we had a good time. And if we did not, don't tell anyone ! The final insult was the tip jar, which a crew member shoved in everyone's face. My rating ? Save your money.

I used Apple vacations- my thanks to local representative Gustavo for arranging the tours and his advice.

All tours- bring ticket, bathing suit, sunblock, towel, extra money.

• Liked — Clean, well kept grounds
  • Disliked — Not much to do off the resort grounds
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2008

Well what can we say other than this was a fantastic holiday. The hotel itself was very good, we have stayed in better rooms but they were sufficient. We loved the optic's & the mini fridge. the shower was also a good factor our only fault with the room was the 2 beds that were pushed together instead of the 1 king sized bed we were expecting. Also it doesn't matter what room you have there is no privecy on the balcony. However, the buildings from the outside are very pretty. Great location, only 30 mininutes drive from the airport. Also having a choice of 3 hotels was also a bonus to us even though the Merengue in our opinion was far the best for day/evening entertainment. The Mambo seemed the quieter but had a lovely pool & beach bar, The merengue had mad entertainment & a disco and The Baschetta had a beautiful pool & swim up bar.The Merengue had wonderful staff especially Elvis69,Micky Mouse & Coco Cola. The food was great, If you can't find anything to eat then you are extremly fussy!!! Again the only fault is the al a carte system, you had to book your table between 10-10.30 on the morning you wanted to eat so unless you were an early riser & joined the queue at 9.30 you missed out. We attempted to book a table 4 times & each time the only available time was the 6.30 sitting. But to be honest the food was so good in the buffet & snack bar it really didn't matter. I really cannot say anyrthing else negative, in our opinion this was excellent value for money with great staff, great entertainment, fab food, clean beach, good range of watersports, comfy beds, clean rooms. Would we go back??? WITHOUT A DOUBT, SEE YOU NEXT YEAR......

• Liked — Great Shower, OPTIC'S & Min ifridge
  • Disliked — 2 Beds Put Together Instead of 1 King Size Bed
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2008

Was there from May 26 to June 5, 2008.

The one thing I thought I would never have to suffer from happened.
On the first night was bitten on the back of my arm by some insect while sitting in a rattan chair in the room. Did not think more of it, after all it as a tropical area. That night i slept fine and no problems, but the next night while I slept, was bitten over 60 times by bedbugs. i went to the front desk to complain, and they were very concerned and had the sheets changed. that night i was bitten again twice on my back. Thank goodness i brought an air mattress with me for the ocean; i slept on it the rest of the stay and had no more bites. the bugs must be in the old worn out mattresses i guess.

i noticed at the pool about 10 other guests with bedbug bites and they said they had the same experience. Complained and the sheets were changed and they still got bitten again. One couple from Denmark said they complained about the awful worn out mattresses and the bedbugs, and got two new mattresses. I should have complained more after the second set of bites in retrospect. so, bring an air mattress to sleep on and you will be fine. found out after i returned that the bite in the rattan chair was probably a bedbug also.

i have photos of my legs which i will attach later, but wanted to get this notice out first.

• Liked — Snorkling
  • Disliked — Bedbugs
  • Stayed May 2008
Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2008

After spending a year alone with my husband in Iraq, all I wanted to do was sit by the pool or crystal clear, blue water on a lounge chair and veg out. This trip was nothing like that. The price of the trip was amazing. That was the deciding factor for us, $1400 for 7 nights including plane tickets.

Check in and first day:
We paid $50 each for a hotel transfer in an airconditioned bus. We were greeted by many people out of customs offering us rides but we just said "no" and looked for the sign for our guy. The bus was very nice. I figured out why they include curtains on the bus windows because if you are afraid of dying in a car.... don't look. People drive all over the roads... it can give you a heart attack to see a huge truck coming right at you only to get back over at the last second.
We checked in and ended up in a room all the way on the other side of the complex.... next to the staff wash room and dorms. It stunk as well as it was next to a farm. If you get building 26 ask for a room change. We requested a change and while they could not provide that day, they did give us a new room later the following day. It was right next to the main building, pool, and other places so it was great. We were definitely happy.

As other's stated, the air conditioning in the rooms sucked. I don't know what it was but it was ok during the day (some days) and then at night got very hot and humid. I am a huge air conditioning person so it bothered me. Other people not so much.

The beds were horrid. I do mean horrid. They were two full size beds on casters shoved together so don't plan on cuddling too much unless you want to end up on the floor during the middle of the night.

The water in the showers left a film in my hair so even when I tried to do it it felt like it was still dirty. Make sure you use the plugs in the tub at night. My husband woke up to a 3 inch cock roach in the tub he figured it climbed up the drain... once we pluged the drains when they weren't in use there weren't anymore. This is not a big thing.. no one else reported this nor did we see any walking around the resort.

The beach was very dissapointing. It was rocky and the water was no where near blue or clear. A lot of seaweed even on the Mambo side. There were a lot of ants on the beach so be careful. And locals do come up and bug you about getting your hair braided, etc. We only spent one day on the beach.

The pools were awesome. They were never crowded, even when they were doing water aerobics or snorkling lessons you had so much room to do whatever you wanted. Lots of lounge chairs everywhere.

Drinks were tasty although not strong at all, I do suspect them of watering down the bottles of alcohol. I drank a lot and only got a small buzz by the end of the night. Even after 3 "shooters" I felt nothing.

The food was great. If you are a foodie, then you would not like it but I am very picky and found so much I could eat. It was repeatative but not terribly. You'll want to try the Italian and Steakhouse "restaurants" once but it'll get old after that. The food there was good too. The snack bar was a joke it had burgers and fries. Again I am very picky and hated both because they were very grissly (spell). I hate biting into bone while eating something soft. yuck.
If you are a seafood lover, you will be dissapointed, they had some fish and calamarie but that was it. No crab, lobster, shrimp, etc... not even at the special restaurants.

We did an excursion on the Tip Top catermaran for $79 each. It was so great!! They said the boat can fit 75 people on it. If there were more than 30 people I would have not liked it at all. We had about 20 and it was perfect. While driving out of the shore, you can lounge on the nets or just chill out. No drinking until after the snorkling of course. The crew played music and was very entertaining. The snorkling wasn't the best. It was just about 50 foot deep water and only had one thing of coral. you could see about 100 yards away, very blue water, which is a sign of awesome coral reefs... I don't know why they didn't take us there. You could not travel very far... they had us roped off haha.

Back on the boat they took us to a very small village of about 50 locals. It was very primative there and they offered you cocolocos which were so refreshing... nothing like a freezing cold fresh coconut with a straw in it and a splash of Brugal rum.

We treked through the village and ate a dominican lunch of rice and beans and grilled chicken... there was also some potato salad stuff but I did not eat that. It was awesome! So good!

You could either swim to and from shore to the boat or you could take the dingy... I am not in the best of shape and I chose to swim. It was a nice swim. Take your time and you'll be fine. It felt good that I could accomplish that.

The other excursion we did was the ATVs... we went through our travel rep and it was through the local town. It took us to a very very dirty beach where people were harrassing me to buy stuff from him. He didnt realize I could understand him when he was talking about me after I said "no" to him.
They then took us to a very dirty river where the locals were eating lunch. You have to realize that these people don't believe in trash cans. The whole country is full of litter so don't be surprised.
After talking with other people, the other ATV trip which was through the Scuba Shop (located on the meringue beach) was much nicer. I had a very very fun time as it was my first time on an ATV, but I would try the Scuba Shops as they take you through the forrest (which was the site of the film Jurrasic Park's scene where they are flying over the island).

Now for the animation team... pleave give these people the credit they deserve. I was never once approached to come up and do whatever with them... if you didn't wanna go they left you alone... they could tell who was going to be annoyed and who wasn't. They get there about 9am and are there until 1am most days. And never have I seen them without energy and smiles.
The shows were very corny and often annoying but whatever.

If you like it the nightclub was nice... there wre a lot of people on the dance floor and you didn't have to wait a long time for drinks.

I would think this would be a great vacation for families esspecially teen agers. Although they do have what looks like a great kids program, I am pretty sure you have to pay extra for it. I could be wrong.

I wanted a quiet vacation where we would be pampered every second of the day and this was not it. There were no waiters getting drinks, no 24 hour food, no room service, and no crystal blue water. I did not like the city of Puerto Plata and the people were very pushy... if I met one more person who said their name was "Mr. Cheapy Cheapy" I would have screamed.

Again, this place would be great for a family with teens or younger kids. I would not recommend this for older people, young couples, and I did not see may singles at all.

• Liked — The Pool
  • Disliked — The beach was horrible
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2008

My sister and I just returned from a 5 night stay at the Riu Mambo. Nothing but good things to say. We enjoyed our stay. The food was fantastic. The pool and beach and scenery were great. The staff was friendly. Only negatives were that the bed was not that comfortable and our request for a closer building wasnt given to the hotel prior to our checkin. The bathroom and shower were great--the shower was great. The manager, Susy is fantastic. She gave us a new room which we loved and vouchers for massages at the spa! We booked a city tour through Mel Tours at the end of the beach which was HORRIBLE. Upon our return home, we realized we were not taken to see the lighthouse or the real amber museum. Our tour guide didnt show us any of the architecture and the fort was supposedly closed on the day of our tour. DONT USE MEL TOURS. I feel cheated. Otherwise, the trip was great and the DR is beautiful as are the people. We will be returning, perhaps to Punta Cana or Santo Domingo (to view the architecture).

• Liked — Beach, use of 3 resort
  • Disliked — Bedding
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
scotland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2008

my fiance and i were forced to take this holiday 36hrs before departure because thomas cook overbooked our hotel in egypt that we booked a year previously and this one was the best of the options available that fitted our annual leave from work and other requirements. first impressions were not that great - dont know if it was the disappointment of not being on the original holiday we paid for - we found it very humid, to the extent you stepped out of air con rooms and you were immediately drenched, on arrival at the hotel we were given our room keys and we had to make our way to our room with out any assistance - room was at the very back of the resort opposite the staff store room.

the room was basic, 2 beds pushed together, one of which dipped down in the middle, reported this to reception after i noticed beds being removed from others rooms, but this was never sorted so it made sleeping very uncomfortable, also the aircon didnt seem to work properly, the ceiling fan only seemed to circulate the muggy air. the minibar in room wasnt that great, we got 3 bottles of beer and 3 bottles of pepsi every other day, the local spirits on the gantry were like parafin and after our litre of jack daniels from duty free ran dry we had to egt drinks from the pool bar to take back to the room while getting ready to go out at night.

the buffet -breakfast and dinner - became very boring after 4 days despite the mexican and dominican theme nights, it was basically a choice of fish, beef or pork.

the a la carte steakhouse and italian were basically the same restaurant but with a difference in main course, it did provide a nice change in that your food was brought to the table for you.

the biggest problem i found with this hotel was the animation staff, we booked our holiday to egypt because we wanted to relax by the pool/beach, top up our tans and have a few drinks, we have been to cuba before and the reason we settled for this hotel is because we - wrongly - assumed it would be like other caribbean resorts, relaxing and chilled out, dont get me wrong they work long hours and are very energetic but when your lying, having a wee siesta on a sun lounger and you get woke up by people pulling at you and screaming to play horse racing, even after you have repeatedly told them you just want to chill out, then you can imagine it becomes very annoying, started to feel like butlins in the caribbean after a few days.

we went on 2 excursions, one to santo domingo and the columbus ocean discovery boat trip.
having been to havana, santo domingo pales by comparison, we were constantly followed by street children offering to polish my trainers, and men selling the same meregue cds and beads despite saying no thank you tens of times we were followed from we got off the coach until we got back on and it frankley ruined the trip, the columbus ocean trip however was fantastic, at $55 more than the catamaran trip it is billed as being more exclusive. it was brilliant we travelled by coach for 2 hours - around 20 in the tour compared to 2 coach loads on the catamaran - we then board a yacht ,on board we helped ourself to a breakfast of bread meat and fresh fruit, we were brought drinks and constant refills by the crew for the 2 hours on the boat, so you can just lie on deck and chill out, we docked in a beautiful bay - very similar to one of the greek islands, were we could jump in the warm ocean, we were then offered drinks on a floating bar, it was great to be sitting on a float in the ocean drinking cuba libres, when we got back on the boat we were offered champagne and oysters, before we went ashore to a private beach were we were offered coco locos - fresh coconuts cut open and filled with rum - and we had our delicious buffet lunch, you also had the option of a banana boat ride, all of which was included in the price, the trip continued with a ride on a speed boat across the open ocean to a sandbank, where you can sit on the white sand and drink all you want from the open bar, or you can join the snorkelling tour on the reef, which is excellent.

one point about the weather in the dom rep, while we were here for the last 2 weeks in may, it rained heavily for 5 days and it was cloudy ever other day, i know it is approaching the hurricane/rainy season but i have been informed it is like this most of the year in the dominican.

the dominican people in general are not the friendliest i have came across, i understand they are a developing country, but we were constantly badgered for tips and although we did tip often and when we felt it deserved, we rarely received a thank you and as the saying goes manners dont cost anything

overall i would say this hotel is good for a last minute holiday - if i had booked this holiday a good while in advance, i would have been really disappointed - but if you want a typical caribbean holiday, with beautiful white sand beaches - fyi the beach here is very gravelely and in parts the sand felt like broken glass - you would be much better going to cuba!

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to ClubHotel Riu Merengue? Share your experiences!