We have now been here 3 times but we always go in May. Reading recent reviews I can see how people would be disappointed with locals coming in at weekends.
When we went from May 27th for 2 weeks there were a few locals come in at the weekends but the only trouble they caused was the pushing in at the restaurant. Needless to say, I 'politely advised' them to get out of my way!!
The hotel is not 5 star but more 4 star. They are very nice there and always willing to help. Food can be a bit repetitive but you are not going to starve. There is loads to do or you can just chill like we did for the 2 weeks.
We will go back but like I say, it will be in May and not after this. Thomson need to do something with the hotel to stop locals destroying peoples holidays or people just won't go anymore to there,which is a shame as the actual hotel is quite nice.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Located on the beach in Maimon Bay * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * Located in the Riu Resort, near ClubHotels Riu Bachata and Riu Mambo * Main building and 1-story bungalow complex * Surrounded by 15,000 m2 / 18,000 sq. yards of tropical gardens * 9 km / 5.5 miles from Puerto Plata * 150 m / 495 ft. from Caribbean Street * 25 km / 15.5 miles from Puerto Plata Intl. Airport * 300 m / 990 ft. from a bus stop * Credit cards accepted: Visa, MasterCard, Amex, Diners ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., BookIt.com, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, HotelTravel.com, Hotels.com, Despegar.com and Priceline so you can book your ClubHotel Riu Merengue reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Clubhotel Riu Merengue Hotel
- Club Hotel Riu Merengue
- Clubhotel Riu Merengue Puerto Plata
- Riu Merengue Dominican Republic
- Riu Merengue Puerto Plata
- Rui Merengue