It was bad b/c:
1) black mold on a shower ceiling (prohibited by most of Health Departments)
2) Internet speed - download 0.09 Mbps; uploading - 0.04 Mbps. It's 10,000+ (!!!) lower than people have in EU or America. I tested it three days in a row. Hotel clerks could do nothing. At that speed you can send/receive SMS, once I was able to use Skype and its IM, but no websites work propely.
3) the place needs an investment, but it looks that they move in an opposite direction and try to save. the palce includes three hotels, and now one of them is closed. They say renovation, I'd say - not enough customers to occupy three of them.
4) repetitive food and poor drinks (mostly local - low quality, exeption - Rum Brugal Extra Viejo; Barcelo Anejo)
5) old biege towels
6) very old beds and matresses, you don't want to see them uncovered
7) a lot of locals with bunch of kids on EACH weekends (noise, overcroweded)
8) 4-5 nights out of 14 was awaken with drunken screaming at 3-4 am
9) most of hotel's beach is rocky, difficult to step on it and even swim, but you can find good spots
10) minor - they charge your credit card on premises rather than through online banking, and it will cost you additional ~3% ($50 in my case)
11) it has only one working restaurant at a time, another one is located at Riu Bachata (walkable dist). At dinner you can use this one or "so to speak" a-la-carte which has a very limited menu.
It was good b/c
1) very nice, manicured, and relatively large territory icl. long walkway along the sea
2) friendly personnel
3) good rum and coffee espresso
3) decent room (if it's for a couple) and balcony sizes
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Located on the beach in Maimon Bay * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * Located in the Riu Resort, near ClubHotels Riu Bachata and Riu Mambo * Main building and 1-story bungalow complex * Surrounded by 15,000 m2 / 18,000 sq. yards of tropical gardens * 9 km / 5.5 miles from Puerto Plata * 150 m / 495 ft. from Caribbean Street * 25 km / 15.5 miles from Puerto Plata Intl. Airport * 300 m / 990 ft. from a bus stop * Credit cards accepted: Visa, MasterCard, Amex, Diners ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Priceline, Orbitz and Hotels.com so you can book your ClubHotel Riu Merengue reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Clubhotel Riu Merengue Hotel
- Club Hotel Riu Merengue
- Clubhotel Riu Merengue Puerto Plata
- Riu Merengue Dominican Republic
- Riu Merengue Puerto Plata
- Rui Merengue