My family & I thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Merengue. Not 5 star by any means but if thats what you want then be prepared to pay the 5 star price.
Lets start off with the not so good.
The locals on a weekend can be a bit of a handfull at times but nothing to complain to loudly about (except one guy who shut our pool by leaving a little going away present instead of walking the 50 paces or so to the toilets)
Food in the snack bar (steakhouse) can be a bit repetative (my opinion).
One of the entertainment team did try to con a few of the guests with a story of needing a medical to keep his job there. All for $40 never mind
Rooms a bit tired but hey so what its only for sleeping in. Be careful with the electrics as well.
Now the good
Main restaurant top notch both food & staff. Some of the themed nights were fabulous.
Hotel staff ie. reception, room cleaners, porters & grounds cleaners never stopped from morning till night. Nothing was too much trouble. Even the hotel director Sousa was very approachable.
The entertainment staff were superb, left you alone if you didn't want to join in.
Pool very clean & staff kept on top of it
Beach very nice even though we didn't use it much except for some games & the kids clubs.
All the bar & restaurant staff were first class.We have 4 girls aged 12,9,6 & 4 they absolutely loved the holiday.
First Choice reps were very good, took an interest in what you had to say & weren't too pushy on the excursions.
The staff in the restaurant even made a fuss of my daughter for her 9th birthday with a cake & several of them singing happy birthday to her.
Snorkelling off the beach was great, just went out on my own.
Trips were quite expensive but I think that is the norm for the Dominican (and there's 6 of us).
Night time entertainment was on the whole very good ie. Africa show, Michael Jackson tribute etc. The kids used to get presented with certificates on stage for winning games in the kids club on a night.
Overall a very good holiday & we are planning our next visit in 2013 for defo
Special hello to several of the staff Cheeky monkey, chicken legs, bombon, Kiko, tequila, bambu, Madonna & especially Mamma Tina (kids club). plus Sousa keep up the great work.
Can't wait to come back again & many thanks for a truly memorable vacation.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Located on the beach in Maimon Bay * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * Located in the Riu Resort, near ClubHotels Riu Bachata and Riu Mambo * Main building and 1-story bungalow complex * Surrounded by 15,000 m2 / 18,000 sq. yards of tropical gardens * 9 km / 5.5 miles from Puerto Plata * 150 m / 495 ft. from Caribbean Street * 25 km / 15.5 miles from Puerto Plata Intl. Airport * 300 m / 990 ft. from a bus stop * Credit cards accepted: Visa, MasterCard, Amex, Diners ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Priceline, Orbitz and Hotels.com so you can book your ClubHotel Riu Merengue reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Clubhotel Riu Merengue Hotel
- Club Hotel Riu Merengue
- Clubhotel Riu Merengue Puerto Plata
- Riu Merengue Dominican Republic
- Riu Merengue Puerto Plata
- Rui Merengue