“Please Read!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Costa Dorada

You added Iberostar Costa Dorada to your Saves list
Iberostar Costa Dorada
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Luperon km 4 | Marapica, Costa Dorada, Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #3 of 44 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Please Read!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2005

Well where do i start this hotel is amazing!! please read this before u go, and for all those people who had any bad coments about this hotel are just nit picking.I went the the iberostar for xmas and had an amazing 2weeks this hotel can not be faulted. im not going to write u a book because you wont read it all. for all of use who love the white silky beaches the south of the island is better but please please dont let that put u of i was at the south two years ago and when i read the reveiws about there being lots of sea weed i was realy getting cold feet but it realy isnt as bad as some people have made it out to be. If u decide to go on any excurions dont use the hotel go down onto the beach they are much cheaper and more helpful. i recomend the paradise islnd its is amazing!!!
well il keep the best bit till last the dominicans,, these are the nicest most genuine people you will ever meet they will do anything they can to help you ecpecialy the staff you have to make a effort to speak to them because the make your holiday so much better.the star friends are amazing i realy dont no how they do it they work 6/7 days from 9-1in the morning and you never see them without a smile on there face. The best guy out them all is scooby he has got to be the most genuine honest person i hav ever met he realy made our holiday he even came to see us away on our last day and it was his day of he had us all in floods off tears,he became part of our family and we have kept in touch with him since wev came home!!! so if your are going please say hello!!

i hope you have found this helpful because after i read some of the reveiws people had wrote i was honestly not wanting to go but i cant stress how amazing this hotel actually is!!! feel free to email me if u have any questions.

• Stayed December 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (752)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2005

We were due to stay at Iberostar in Playa Del Carmen but Wilma blew us to the Dominican.
Turned out to be fantastic value in a great resort.
We went with Airtours and good tip is to upgrade to PremierGold. Worth extra space especially if over 6'
Our rep pushed VIP lounge at airport for our return: this is a waste of money - don't bother. Airport is interesting and has plenty duty free, bars etc.
Resort was brilliant.
Food consistently excellent throughout. Buffet was great but we like service restaurants in the evening and we really enjoyed them. Especially the Mexican and Tropical restaurants. We liked the Mexican so much we asked for an extra visit and given no problem. Guest Services really do go the extra mile.
NB were not ourselves and never saw anyone sick throughout our stay.
Drinks were speedily served and international brands are freely available - if you ask. Cocktails are great especially the caparinya (phonetically spelt as forgot how hic!)- get Yorkie at the lobby bar to make as hers are the best!
Whilst we tipped not many did and service was not affected.
Rooms were spacious, modern, air-con quiet and efficient and a $2 tip per day got decorated towel swan + chocs. (No tip no swan!)
Beach is good for sunbathing but not very for swimming. No point snorkeling.
Pool area is large but best to get spots early. Says you can’t but everyone does. Get your towels from the poolside hut 8-8.30am and put them on your chosen loungers with a book, get breakfast then go relax!
No security problems at any time.
Entertainment was great every night. They put on a show with obvious enjoyment and enthusiasm.
Same entertainers were keeping everyone amused and getting those that wanted into games etc around pool and beach. They really are a talented and fit bunch.
Visited Puerto Plata but not our thing. Million$ homes next to open sewered slums. Well it is a third world country and miles behind Mexico.
We got well bitten by mossie's and used the repellants. Most didn't use and didn't get bitten!!
Overall this is the best value best overall standard resort we have stayed in. The management and staff are of the highest standard we have ever experienced.

London, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2005

My wife and I stayed at the Iberostar at Puerto Plata for one week from the 16th of November. Prior to the trip, we began to get really cold feet and thought this might end up being a disastrous experience, full of football shirts, vomit by the pool, etc. However, we found this fear to be unfounded, and enjoyed a lovely time at a highly respectable hotel in a beautiful setting.

The hotel has good facilities, is kept extremely clean, boasts friendly and helpful staff, serves good food (although slightly limited in choice), and can certainly be recommended. The beach is v picturesque, but the seaweed might be a problem for some. The pool is enormous and, like the beach, has an army of staff who are busy everyday trying to keep everything clean. Breakfast and lunch at the Iberostar are exceptional, although dinner didn't quite hit the same peaks yet remained good.

There's not a great deal to do in terms of sight-seeing (Puerto Plata is pretty non-descript), but if you're the sporty type, then the watersports, golf, and tennis should keep you happy. There are a few excursions available, but my advice is NOT to book these through the hotel or tour operator. Simply walk out the maingate and walk for a couple of minutes in either direction to find some local companies who will take of you.

The Dominicans we met take tourism v seriously and the it seems all the locals realise exactly how much we mean to their economy. As a result, they are v welcoming and also quite grateful for your visit. If you can, try to give something back, even if it is simply by recomending the Dominican Republic to friends.

• Stayed November 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2005

A busy hotel, but such ammazing staff, I quickly became used to the exillerating atmosphere. This hotel is the first truely all inclusive I have been to. Travwlling long haul twice a year for many years.
Entertainment great. Watersports exceptional. Rooms spotless and comfortable. T.V. good range of stations available. Food a Gormets delight. Management understanding and first class. Everything about this hotel was good, I will certainly be returning.

Stayed December 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2005

Me and a friend who are in our 20's stayed at the inberostar had the most amazing time. The hotel is beautiful the culture is unbelievable. The staff is sooo wonderful they make you feel like you are at home. Star Friends did a great job to keep you entertained. Loved it. I had such a great time that we are actually going back next year and we are trying to recruit more people to come with us next year. I was actually tearing up when we were leaving cause I had such a good time. The food is really great.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2005

We stayed at the Iberostar the first week of December 2005. The resort is absolutely beautiful as soon as you enter the lobby with the turtle pond and the flamingo pond right there to enjoy. Check in went very smoothly and we stayed in building 6000. They were the closest to the beach and farthest from the lobby which was fine with us because it was very quite at night but close to the action during the day.

The food was excellent every night. I thought the buffet had a nice variety all the time and the presentation was great. The specialty restaurants were very good also. We really enjoyed the Brazilian the best.

The shows were ok. The two night that you should not miss is the Broadway Hits and Lion King. They were fabulous!!

One excursion that so wonderful was the Outback Safari. I was a little apprehensive before going but after we were on our way thoroughly enjoyed our trip. The Dominican Republic is truly a beautiful island !! The one that we thought was not worth the money was Ocean World. They do not have enough to keep you busy all day even if you buy into the special events. The bus picks you up at 8:30 am and your not picked up until 5:00 or later. You cannot go back to the hotel earlier. This we did not like at all - we would have liked to go back to the hotel a couple of hours earlier.

December was a wonderful time to go because it was before holiday time and it was not crowded but it also is their rainy season. We had a few days of rain - but compared to where I live, I would take rain over snow any day!!

We will definately be returning in a few years !!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2005

Well what can I say? The management team could not do a better job. This was the best holiday I have ever been on!! me and my friend (both 20 yrs old) went on the 21st November till 28th November, this was my second time returning to the hotel and second time round was just as good. I made so many friends (first and second time) with the hotel staff and visitors.

*AIRPORT*
We flew with Thomas cook airlines, although it is a long flight it was comfortable and we had good movies to watch. We also took a pen and pad of paper and made our own entertainment, and if you get too bored talk to the people next to you or the staff. Just don’t let the flight put you off as the best bit is still to come.
When you come off the flight before you go through passport control you have to have
20 us dollars to buy your visa (you can pay in pesos but is cheaper in dollars, you can also buy this is London before you fly which is a lot easier.

Compared to Gatwick airport they are faster at getting our bags off the plane which was a big surprise!! We stepped off the plane and they were there.
When you walk out of the airport before you find your rep you will have porters in blue and green who will offer to help you with your bags, be warned they will want a tip when they have helped you with your bags they will take English if it is a note!

It is about a 20 min till you get to the hotel this is including the drop offs at the other hotels so it is not bad at all compared to one drop off which will be on your coach which takes them an hour and half (ha-ha)

*ARRIVAL AT THE HOTEL*
:) You step off the coach they put your bag to one side and check-in and as soon as you step into the hotel they welcome you with a big smile and a glass of fruit punch. When you have checked-in they will take you and your bag directly to your room on a golf buggy which is fun.

*grounds*
The hotel grounds are so nice it’s like a dream, orchards and red flowers everywhere every morning you wake up and the gardeners are doing a well good job of keeping it all tidy.

*RESTAURANT*
The restaurants are really good so much choose!!
During the day there is the restaurant by the pool which has a wide variety and if your kid’s dnt like Caribbean food there is also food the kids would love like pizza, chips, chicken. Or you can go to the buffet restaurant during the day but you do have to be wearing proper clothing and shoes.
In the evening there is the buffet and three restaurants which are all brilliant!!
On your way in to the buffet restaurant in the evening there is normally a theme set up and the staff are out side dressed up including the starfriends who great you with a big smile.

*HEALTH SWEET*
Here is where the Jacuzzis are, the men’s and females are separate. there is one hot and one cold they are great to relax in!! The staff are really friendly! there is also a gym there, which has a personal assistant,(this is also free), they also do pedicures, manicures and they also have a hair dressers I can recommend all of these as the first time I went was for my dads wedding and we had these done, we even had the staff singing while doing these they are such friendly outgoing people. I also recommend the massages wow so relaxing I nearly fell asleep. There is so many treatments you have to go and have a look

*POOL*
The pool is amazing! it is not heated but it doesn’t need to be as it is just the right temp, when your hot take a dip to keep cool. it is split in to sections one section is for ball games starfriend hold games here like water polo ibero games etc, one is shallow which is where the starfriends hold the water aerobics, and a part just for swimming, which is where they teach scuba diving at 3 every afternoon which is also free and fun!! And in the middle is a Jacuzzi. The pool is always being cleaned, two of the most memorable cleaner are Henry and Juan they are really friendly and both have amazing greeny coloured eyes.

*BEACH*
The beach is fab nice sandy beach and if you get too bored on the beach the starfriends do beach games through out the day so why not join in!!
also there are people walking up and down the beach offering hair braiding and offering you to go look round there shops if you want to it is safe if you dnt want to just say no thank you and they will go!!
When you walk onto the beach if you turn left and walk up to the huts you will be greeted by lots of friendly Dom rep people wanting you to look around there stalls!! They like it when you barging with them!! If you see George and Jesus say hi and Kerrie with blue eyes says hi they will give you a good price.
if you turn right up the beach there are a few more huts but if you keep walking you will come to a shopping centre called the plaza (it is safe its a bit like a tourist attraction) there is plenty of shops here selling allsorts, like jewellery, bags, make up, souvenirs, paper shops and even a pizza hut!!

*BEDROOMS*
WOW beds are so comfy, and a single bed is not a single bed!! There more like queen sized beds.
Every morning the maids come they make the beds clean the place top to bottom. They also leave flowers all over the room and bathroom, they make swans, hearts and all sorts on the end of the bed its sooo pretty!!
If you leave any of your clothes around they put them in patterns on your bed!! There is a mini bar that is filled every day, and a TV (it even has mtv)
We used to give a dollar a day as a tip for the maid.

*night club*
What can I say?
I have lots of memories from this club, and all good!
They play all sorts of music including, R&B hip hop, meringue, cheese every thing! The DJ is so good. The bar staff are cool as well (they even looked after ma stuff for me so I didn’t have ta hold it)
and they star the evening off with a club dance, dnt be shy you have to get up and do it too, just think off all the others who feel silly like you do!!

*SHOWS*
WOW, the shows are brilliant but the one not to be missed is 'THE LION KING SHOW' it nearly made me cry both times I saw it!! It’s not too be missed!!
The singers are out of this world! And the professional dancers are brill too! There’s rafel, Leo and then there’s oendy and many more!!

*STAFF*
Well what can I say I can’t mention one member off staff we didn’t get on with..

~bar staff
They are so friendly and some can chat for Dom rep!! Make sure you have a chat with Ricardo at the lobby bar; he's a loony if ya down for any reason he’ll cheer ya up for sure. Also there is Julian he’s so cute a bit shy sometimes but he comes out of his shell once he know you!!
~restaurant staff
Well you’re meeted and greeted by them when you enter the restaurant then you go into the buffet and every food section you go to has different chefs and they all greet you with a smile and ask how you are. And if you have any Questions about the food they will help you all they can. Then you take a seat every waiter/ess have there own section and by the end of your holiday you will realise that you and everyone else have your own favourite section, mine was ran by Domingo and Victor, they were always so happy and both really funny and were brill to chat too. I gave them both a big tip at the end.

~reception staff
They are the first to great you and the last to say bye. They are very helpful people and will help you with anything. And when you finished clubbing and have had too much too drink I used to take a wonder over too reception and chat with them (god knows what about) Jose Luis works 11 pm till 7am so I was always chatting with him he’s a sweat heart as is Marco who was a witness at my dads wedding.

~singers
There s four singers, two men and two ladies (one is pregnant, but still loos good) wow they are amazing!! I have never heard someone as good as they are. I wish I could sing like them.

~ Professional dancers
Well what can I say? They are amazing, they have so much skill. And they work so hard practicing through out the day. and are really friendly people.

~starfriends
With out all the star friends the holiday would not have been the same. They work 16 hours a day 6-7 days a week. They do activities through out the day, they dnt bug you in to the games but they do encourage you in to doing the games. They like to get involved with the games as well, they join in with the water polo they play the beach games. They also go round and talk with people to get to know them and find out if they are enjoying there holidays.
When you go to pick up your towels you will be greeted by Flor she was a animator for 7 years, but know she works in the hut, she is the most genuine person I know and could not be friendlier I love her to pieces.
Then in the evenings they all dress up to welcome you as you are going into dinner. Then they get ready for the show they all join in with the shows. before and after the shows they like to get people up to dance, which some people are shy about but others not..
Then come 11.30 its time to go to the night club they do there club dance. Then they get up and start dancing like everyone else.

But seriously take the time to talk and get to know them as they are brilliant people and love to listen as well as talk.
I want to thank all of them (my friends): Tun Tun, Roni(scobby) Isaac, Flor, Alex, Cucurulu, Francisco, Starly, Cecile, Victor. But most of all the best are the animators managers Quimo and Franklin they are they best (big kisses).

Well I will see you all in March/ April love ya’s.

• Stayed November 2005

Been to Iberostar Costa Dorada? Share your experiences!