“where to start” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Costa Dorada

You added Iberostar Costa Dorada to your Saves list
Iberostar Costa Dorada
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Luperon km 4 | Marapica, Costa Dorada, Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #3 of 44 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Ireland
“where to start”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2004

From reading all the reveiws here I was positive that we were gonna have a fab time. However that was not to be so.

The food was alright bar the once my husband got food poisoing and the twice I did, so thus after this feeding time became a bit of a chore. Also down at the pool restaurant the chickens and hens were allowed to room through the restaurant, which I thought was extremely un-hygenic especially with soo many young children running about.

The night entertainment was not our cup of tea and to be truthful we would have described it as suicidal. The shows are basically the same every night and unless you like cabaret and the shouting of one, two, three, super, super and onze, douze, trez (excuse the spelling) every single night you are gonna be mighty peeved with the nightly torture.

The disco - well to call it a disco or nite club is an insult to any well run disco. The music is exactly the same each evening. However the truck half out of the wall does look mighty cool, such a pity about the repeated music as it has the potential to be fantastic. There is also air conditioning in there as well which can provide much needed cool air at times!!

Bar all of the above, the rest of the hotel was lovely, the beach was lovely and clean, cleaned every morning. The rooms were nice and spacious, we had upgraded to a junior suite.

But would I recommend this place .......... in two words NO WAY!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (754)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2004

We were at the Iberostar Costa Dorada to attend my son's wedding. We arrived there on 12 July 2004, 13 of us were there for this very special occasion. It was fantastic, we went with First Choice from Glasgow (suggest you upgrade on the flight it was well worth the extra, loads of room)

The hotel was exellent the rooms very clean and spacious, the food was very good the buffet had always a great choice something different to try each night.
The service in the hotel was 1st class and all of the staff were exellent very helpful and pleasent and would do anything for you nothing was to much trouble (and you did'nt have to tip them every 5 minutes).
We went to the beach every day which was great there was always a breeze to cool you down and loads of sunbeds available however, the pool was very busy and most of the sunbeds were gone by 7.30am being reserved with towels and 1 shoe etc.

The wedding was perfection a dream made in paradise words cannot discribe our thoughts of that day it was perfect. I would recommened this hotel without question, 4 of our party have already booked to returning to this hotel again next year what more can I say.

• Stayed July 2004
London, ON
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2004

It's been awhile since I've been back, as I stayed at the Costa Dorada from May 15th-22nd. I travelled with only my girlfriend and had a wonderful time! I have to say it wasn't my first time to the Dominican, but the people, the tropical weather, and a good price will definitely keep me going back. I'll write about as much of the trip that I can to tell you of how fantastic the entire vacation was and to give you all the information I can! Where to begin...

Food:
The buffet was fantastic! It had a lot of different things every day so you had some variety (of course, there were always certain basics if you wanted to eat the same thing) and the food was always being refilled so if something was out you didn't have to wait long to get some.
The a la carte restaurants were great! We didn't go to the mexican (after reading some advice from other trip goers) so we can't give any information on that, but the other two were great! Signing up for the a la carte restaurants was also easy, as they gave you a time and date stamped receipt for when you were to go there, as well as no large lineups to wait in for a reservation. The Brazilian was a tad confusing, as it started and ended like a buffet, while in the middle they had waitresses coming around to your table with kabobs and sliced different types of meat for you. The International is more like a restaurant, as you sit down with menu and get to order what you'd like. Both quite tasty though.

Staff:
The Star Friends are phenomenal! A few of them spend all morning and afternoon with the children at the resort setting up a show for the evening. They are everywhere in the resort and are always having fun. The staff in the restaurant are great, we sat in the same area of the buffet every day and the gentleman who was there got to know us was very friendly.

Entertainment:
The entertainment was also quite good. There was an array of shows each evening, beginning with the children if you finish dinner early enough. The adult shows have a mix of dancing, culture and gymnastics. Several of the shows also had crowd participation if you were brave enough, though they were usually quite funny. Mike the emcee was superb as he always got the crowd to enjoy the show! A personal favourite of mine was the Pale Pala song that you could hear after the show on a daily event, I wish I could get a soundtrack of the music they were playing for our trip! Just a note passed forward from previous people as well, next to the buffet there is a posting on what show is playing that night, and if you feel the need to miss a show skip the "International Show" as it left a lot to be desired. Other than that, the entertainment was remarkable.

Rooms:
The room we were able to get was fantastic! It had an ocean view lined with palm trees, a king sized bed and a large sitting area and patio. I couldn't have asked for a better room. The maids would leave towel and flower animals on random days for you to take a look at. The air conditioning was good and it had 3 settings, so it wasn't either freezing or boiling in the room.

Trips:
We had a travel rep explain to us on our second day about every trip that was offered at our resort which was very helpful. We went on two separate snorkelling excursions which was great, I personally am an avid fish watcher. What I might recommend would be to only take one, as generally it was the same fish you would see for each trip so you might want to do another trip. One of our vacations was a trip to Cayo Paradiso, a small island surrounded by coral. It was a good trip but seemed a little long, and if you have a storm the day before bring something to sit on for the boat rides as the metal seats and the large waves act like a meat tenderizer.

Weather:
Being the rainy season when we went, it did rain quite a lot for the week. Probably rained 2-3 days collectively. Some just small showers, some full out thunderstorms. By no means did it ruin our trip, but it would have been nicer for more sunshine! Just keep in mind the sun gets VERY hot and do your best not to burn, it definitely doesn't take long for it to happen. I don't claim to be a meteorologist, but I wonder if the grounds being next to the mountain might have something to do with the added rainfall, and that it might not just have been the time of year we travelled.

Beach:
The beach actually was the only downfall of the resort. It's small and in the water near the shore there is a lot of coral very close to the surface. We also found it very windy at the beach, and it's possible it was in part to the weather, but the palm trees lining the area between the beach and the pool made it a much nicer time to sunbathe at the pool chairs. There were always plenty of chairs out on the beach though, possibly everyone else had the same thoughts as we did.

Pool:
The best asset to the resort was by far the pool. The pool was HUGE! It had a "hot tub" in the middle (what is consisting of the warm pool water and bubble jets) and a large area at one end with a volleyball net. It was in a Y shape and there was a lot of area to swim. This definitely made up for shortcomings with the beach. Keep in mind there are some children at the resort so there might be mild horseplay, however in the week we were there not once did we encounter a situation in the pool where we were annoyed and it was always large enough that we could just swim to another area and be alone!

The resort was beautiful and well kept! The pool was definitely designed to attract the vacationers away from the beach! The staff was outstanding! The resort definitely deserves the 4 1/2 star rating it received. I will definitely go back, and the vacation has made us want to seek out other Iberostar resorts around the world to stay in. If you have any questions, feel free to email us, we'd be glad to answer anything!

A DEFINITE recommendation for any travellers. You'll have an absolutely fantastic time!

Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2004

This I have to say is long over due, but better late than never. We stayed here in Nov/02, and have to say it is a very beautiful hotel. I really don't have anything bad to say except to pool is quite deep for the most part, it doesn't much of a shallow end for the non -swimmers. The food, entertainment, a la carte, grounds and buildings were absolutely beautiful and wonderful. I give it 10 out of 10.

Lancs uk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2004

Stayed here for a fortnight from 17th August. Glad I read the other reviews and took their advice especially bringing lots of high factor suntan lotion. The weather was incredibly hot and there is little respite from the heat as most of the restaurant and bar areas do not have AC. Booked a trip with Martin Espinal- much cheaper than big tour operators and we had total flexibility. Our kids would not have been interested in Rum factories or Amber museums so they were not on visited on our puerto plata tour. Our guide spoke perfect English and informed us of many facts about life in DR. We also visited Ocean World for the Dolphin Swim which was a "once in a life time" thing however if we go back we would do it again. The Star friends and staff at this hotel make it what it is. I would recommend this to families of all ages, some couples may find it noisy in school holiday periods. Kids got their hair braided on the beach and I did not haggle the price as it was still cheaper than the hotel. The lady I dealt with offered to braid it again before we returned home (as it does come out from swimming in the pool) for no extra charge she just asked for the shampoo and creams we had left over. I also gave her some pens and pencils for her kids which were gratefully received!

the Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2004

We just came back from this beautiful hotel and lovely people! It's boring here in the Netherlands and we want to go back as soon as possible

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2004

The iberostar is like a home from home only with the decent weather! From the moment we arrived the reception staff were pleased to meet us and couldn't do enough for us. Everywhere you went within the complex the staff were friendly. Especially the star friends, they made my holiday. So if the management of the hotel read this please give special thanks to Tun Tun, Fransico and company.
The shows were excellent and the dancers amazing. If you get a chance to go to the disco, GO! Its great fun and a laugh.
The food was fantastic, i've never seen so much choice. The al a carte restaurants are beautiful. In the Brazillian i have never seen or eaten so much meat in my life! There is also a vast vegitarian option which is beautiful everywhere. Again special thanks to all the staff, it was the best time of my life. A great family hotel for all ages, The Iberostar has not seen the last of me!!!

Been to Iberostar Costa Dorada? Share your experiences!