“Healthy or ILL You’re Well Looked After” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Costa Dorada

You added Iberostar Costa Dorada to your Saves list
Iberostar Costa Dorada
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Luperon km 4 | Marapica, Costa Dorada, Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #3 of 44 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Mount Albert
“Healthy or ILL You’re Well Looked After”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

I chose this hotel based on the reviews from Trip Advisor. On reading many of them I do not remember anyone mentioning the 24 hr Medical Clinic and the Dr they have on site. So I feel this info is very important for those who have a sensitive stomach or have other health concerns when travelling. I will describe my health experience further down. We just got back this week and the hotel was everything people’s reviews said it was. This Iberostar is a huge complex, spacious, very well laid out, incredible manicured grounds surrounding all the buildings, spotless inside and out, very beautiful and palatial. The security is high which is great. No locals I noticed were allowed inside as with other resorts. No aggressive vendors, just a few close to the beach who will ask you then leave on saying no. If you leave the complex then the vendors will be aggressive. We went on the guided city tour/cable car and enjoyed it. There is so much to do in this complex including well organized activities there is no reason to leave the property. I enjoyed the yoga on the beach every morning at 10:00 with Dede, she was great. I have been in the Caribbean many times and I have a sensitive stomach. I have been sick in other places and despite the great well prepared food choices here I got sick again. This is no fault of the hotel I ate something I know I should not have. I got so sick I couldn’t walk or leave my room and I had to have the Medical Clinic called. This was 6:00am. We were in building #6 so they came with a wheel chair to get me and then upon my agreement took me by the complex’s ambulance to the hospital in Puerto Plata. I was very concerned but my partner stayed by my side during the whole experience. It is extremely important to have good medical insurance when travelling, which I did. I was admitted immediately and taken to a private room with a pullout couch. The nurses and Dr were very thorough and caring. An IV was started at the hotel with medication and I was also given a standard antibiotic in the hospital once discovered through testing that I had a bacterial infection from something I ingested. I stayed in the hospital overnight and 1 ½ days in total then released at my request. Upon my return the hotel staff showed much concern and was great. It took me another couple of days of relaxation to get better. The point here is that I have not been in a resort where there was top quality professional medical staff on duty 24 hrs a day. Although I had a difficult experience it was handled in a professional caring way. I can’t express enough gratitude I have for the medical staff in this hotel. This is a top quality hotel and the overall hotel staff showed this in their pride and professionalism. The service and politeness given to guests was what one would expect in a top hotel. I would go back to this hotel in a heartbeat and will recommend it to anyone. We give a special thanks to Kennedy in the buffet and Luis our Hotel Representative. Thanks Iberostar, we will see you again sometime.

Room Tip: Buildings 5, 6 ,1 - 3rd floors are the quietest, farthest from the lobby, restaurants and closer to...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (755)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Thame, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

We have been twice before to this Hotel. Our third visit was good but we found it was perhaps more geared to 18-40 year olds. In the past there had been quiet areas, whereas this time more music was playing wherever you went including the beach. The entertainment staff were anxious to get good reviews and were constantly telling us to make a point of marking them down as very good. They were good but you dont want to be reminded constantly. We preferred to tip when we received good service, but we found in the main it didnt work like that, many people tipped to get good service, but we were not prepared to do this. Our waiter at our regular table was brilliant and worked very hard. Our room was kept lovely and spotless. It is advisable to take strong cream for bites, if you are prone to get bitten, as the mos'es came out daytime as well as night. The shows were very good and the entertainment staff did work very hard day and evening.
Food was good, but not as good as our previous visits. Post takes about 3 weeks to be delivered home. Generaally we have a good time, but would think hard before returning.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

Please keep in mind this review is for Dominican Republic, not Manhattan.

Reception Area: Open, roomy, welcoming and comfortable

Cleanliness: Excellent with no little reptiles running around. Occasionally, there was a peacock nearby :-) Rooms are clean and tidy. Glasses are clean. Still recommend you to take all your shots before going.

Room space: Very comfortable for 2

Safety: Room has safe. Front hotel gate is guarded at all time and there was a second gate outside the hotel for additional safety. Being next to a casino could bring younger crowds nearby. We walked the area by foot at night and we felt safe.

Convenience: You could use their local transportation such as buses or passenger vans, private taxi, and local taxi (much cheaper but require some Spanish) Location is great. Very easy to get around.

Food: Good for this 4 star hotel. Always someone waiting to serve you during the entire day with a smile. We went out a couple nights until 2:00AM and they grilled us steaks :-)

Amenities: Disco was adequate because most guests were well behaved but good music kept the atmosphere going. Swimming pool was a good size. There were tennis courts and a full size basketball. We love them all!!

Beach: Next to the beach and there were lots to do. Perfect for family, couples or even guys to hang out for a relaxing day.

Staff: Very friendly and always helpful. As drinks were free, the bartenders were always attentive and understood English well.

Entertainment: There were nightly entertainments and excursions (during the day time) available at the resort.

The only pet peeve I had was our departure flight was in the early evening but we had to check out at noon. They were kind enough to take care of the luggage but we had no place to rest or shower after outdoor activities. We ended up paying for an extra half day of accommodation that we thought should be included in the package.

Otherwise, we were satisfy with our experience at the Iberostar Costa Dorada. Highly recommend to all travellers: families, singles, adults, friends-get-together, romantic couples!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Doncaster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014 via mobile

Absolutely love this place, been 6 times and returning soon..The food is amazing, the cleanliness is superb, the staff are second to non. We renewed our wedding vows here, everything was faultless. Perfect place for a wedding!..would just like to know if the barman Ricardo is still here, also Mama Maria?

Stayed February 2013
Portsmouth RI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

Great service . Beautiful resort with great food. I usually eat vegan and all the beautifully colored food choices were served in a healthy way - fantastic for me! My friends and husband loved all the choices as well. I preferred the buffet but the three restaurants were good too. Everything is FRESH FRESH FRESH!! And plentiful. The resort is so laid back and relaxing. The bartenders are friendly, especially Andy who seemed to be working everywhere. We loved Efrain - he made great mojitos - and he reminded us of Big Papi with his enchanting smile and playful personality. The staff are all great We went with 2 other couples and everyone had a great time. I don"t know how you could go wrong at the Iberostar. Let me thank the management for the surprise birthday cake in my room Yum! One thing I would prefer is that the dancing lessons at the dance club take place an hour before music time. 12:30 in the afternoon is a bit early: I'd still be at the beach. And the plastic chaise lounges at poolside were a bit uncomfortable, literally a pain in the back for my husband. I preferred the canvas lounge chairs at the beach.

Room Tip: We stayed in 6013 . We asked to be by the beach on the first floor and that"s what we got and w...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Bowmanville, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

just returned on jan.26th 2014. 5 couples, we had a perfect vacation. great food, very clean resort,fun entertainment every night. we did the rum factory tour, cable ride was ok, lot of walking. the rest was disappointing, very pushy people, glad to get back to the resort. this is my 4th iberostar and my best so far. thank you adelma my room cleaner,pretty towel art! room 5101.

Room Tip: rooms 9000 are closest to lobby and 5000 is closest to beach. all rooms are good
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

Great hotel, the site is super clean, beautiful and clean rooms and the food was simply excellent !!! The hotel staff are just wonderful people ... very friendly, helpful, always very kind and welcome to answer any questions we had. Lovely place that we recommend.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

Been to Iberostar Costa Dorada? Share your experiences!