“Amazing vacation, beautiful hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Costa Dorada

You added Iberostar Costa Dorada to your Saves list
Iberostar Costa Dorada
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Luperon km 4 | Marapica, Costa Dorada, Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #3 of 44 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Toronto
“Amazing vacation, beautiful hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

We just came back from Iberostar Costa Dorada, or should I say from Paradise. We were 2 couples with 2 kids (4 and 13)
The hotel is so beautiful and very well maintained, thanks to the staff!
Staff in this hotel is absolutely brilliant. Starting from the maid who cleaned our room spotless everyday and buffet waiters who where so nice to us and our little girl. Once she wondered to the lobby while we were having breakfast and we couldn't find her, but our waiter went to the lobby and brought her to us. Unfortunately I don't remember his name, maybe Santos? (Thank you!) Not all of them speak English but it doesn't get in the way of serving the tourists.

Beach was the most beautiful beach, even that the water wasn't very clear due to seaweeds and the sand wasn't as white as in Turks and Caicos but I liked that the beach is surrounded with trees, you always have a shadow. And you can walk miles, if you don't mind locals. The locals always approached us, but they were very polite and friendly, we even went to the public beach one day to swim with locals. They are very nice people, very intelligent.

Pools. Very nice and big, with warm water and shallow edge for the kids. But we mostly spend time at the beach, and only after 5 pm came to the pool. Yes, on weekends it was a bit crowded with locals, but that's normal. And shame on you guys who complain about the locals being rude or invasive. Don't forget, this is their country, they pay money for it too and maybe they have a different way to relax or express themselves.

Food. Was very good. Good variety, lots of fresh fish and seafood, lobsters, everything...I don't understand why people complain about food. The only thing that i didn't like is the Brazilian restaurant, because it was too hot to eat, no air condition, no fans. The beef was very good, but the chicken was still raw. I guess we went the wrong day because other people really enjoyed it.
Nice paella on the beach.

Entertainment. I really liked it, some of them were very professionals, some of them not so, but its was better than in the other hotels anyway. Especially Brazilian dance:)

Lobby and surroundings. The most beautiful lobby with lots of cozy places to sit and enjoy your drink, lots of vegetation, flamingos, turtles, birds.

The most important thing - no mosquito or sand flies at all! I didn't get one bite, usually I'm the first who gets bitten. No ants in the room ether. Everything is clean and very well maintained.

The last night we received a surprise gift from executive assistant manager, the bottle of rum, plate of fruits and nicely decorated table. Thank you very much for this nice gesture!

The last thing that I want to mention is the kids club. For older kids it might be perfect but for my 4 yrs old was just OK. The girl who works there doesn't look that she enjoying what she's doing or she simple doesn't love kids, or maybe i got the wrong impression because she always had stone cold face when talking to me, even after i tipped her. She always asked to come back to pick up kids at 12 pm, even its says they open till 12.30 pm. Afternoon the same - pick up at 4.30 instead of 5 pm. No big deal, but i had a feeling that she just want to get rid of them. But she was good organizing kids night shows but as i mention it works only with older kids.

Anyway, the hotel is simple the best where i stayed so far. And i would highly recommend to all my friends - with kids or without kids. I don't think i would come back, but only because the world is so big to explore and the life is so short.

Room Tip: We asked for upper floor room and we got it. Block # 6. Beautiful view, closer to the beach, to the...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Costa Dorada, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Dear Guest,
On behalf of the hotel Management, we want to thank you for choosing Iberostar Costa Dorada for your family holiday and for taking time to write some comments about your stay among us.
We want to express you how satisfied we are to read that you and especially your children enjoyed “an amazing vacation” among us, as you stated in the review, due to the daily and nightly wide options for entertainment, our beautiful family friendly premises, the variety of our gastronomy and the friendliness of our staff. In Iberostar we aim to ensure our guests to “enjoy being a Star”. We have communicated Santos that his service made you feel especial and our Star Friends Manager your feedback about our Kids Club.
We are looking forward to see you in our hotel again; please do not hesitate to contact us to help you enjoy your next visit.
Yours Sincerely,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (790)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Gatineau, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

I went here for a wedding and the place was absolutely beautiful. We were greeted with drinks, very warm smiles and helpful people. It's really not far from the airport, so that's a bonus. As soon as we were checked in, we went to eat and relax. The food there is really good. Dominican night at the Buffet was fantastic, they have this really good coffee you must try. As for the restaurants, they are all good, my favorite though was the Brazilian one.The day of the wedding everything was perfect. We got picked up by a really nice employee (Melvin) in a golf cart so we don't all have to walk in our heals to the Gazebo where the wedding took place. The ceremony went well, the picture taking session went well. All in all, this was my best trip ever! Drinks were good, food was good and staff was really nice and helpful! I recomment this place to anyone that wants to have fun and/or relax.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,
We thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Iberostar Costa Dorada with the Online Community.
We would like to express how glad we are to read that your whole stay including the wedding ceremony was unforgettable from the first moment you walked into our Front Desk. In Iberostar we aim our guests to live unforgettable experiences during holidays. We have communicated Melvin that his service left you a nice impression.
We are looking forward to welcome you back; please feel free to contact us to assist you before your next visit.
With regards,
Nashville, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

I recently stayed at the Iberostar Costa Dorada and I was not pleased with many things. Lets start with the rooms. Our party had 6 rooms rented and they all smelled like sewage water. The sheets and pillow cases felt sticky and wet. I figured it was maybe just a coincidence, but I checked the other rooms and they were all the same. Some of my friends woke up with small bug bites on there feet and arms. I inspected the bed before we checked out and there were bed bugs visible. The food was horrible and had absolutely no taste at all. We ate the same buffet everyday for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I was so tired of the food I did not even eat one day. When we first arrived the staff was polite but we soon realized that it was an act. Some of my friends brought some girls back from the club next to our hotel and the desk clerk told them they would have to pay $58 dollars to bring them in. My friend goes all the way to his room to get more money and he gets back and the desk clerk tells him it $68 dollars. I told the desk clerk that I was standing there and clearly heard him say $58 but he said "that's the price my friend." The next day they bumped the price up for $72, which clearly meant that they had no rules set for this matter. No one EVER told us that we would be charged to bring girls to the hotel. The next day we were checking out and they required us to have out towel cards at check out, but they only told us this as we were checking out. The room are not close to the front desk and my group had a flight to catch. The desk clerk made everyone go and get there cards or we could pay $10 for a "lost card" fee. This is the worst experience I have had at a resort in my life. I would recommend no one to ever stay there.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
We have no longer comments as according to our records, your group was out of the hotel during the day making excursions and during the evening looking forward for companions who were not allowed to be on the hotel as they break our "family friendly ambiance" policy as we explained you and your friends. We regret that Tripadvisor do not work on the riability of the reviews posted on their website.
Sincerely yours,
Oshawa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

I use trip advisor before booking any holiday, and have learned it is most important to find the reviews that best represent myself and my family. So, We are a Canadian family of 4 with kids 11 and 6 years old.
We flew out with Air Transat which was a good flight, on time and very smooth. One catch they failed to notify us of is the flight home there is a small flight from Peurto Plata to Samana to pick up others (your flight is extended by just over and hour due to this).
We stayed at the ICD from Aug 26 - Sep 2 and booked a Juniour Suite room 5116. The room as many have described is plain but clean. The only thing you get with a Juniour Suite is a room that is about six feet longer. If you are thinking there is this amazing ocean view, not really, too many trees. You will need to take one of those adaptors if you have multiple three pronged devices.
The resort itself is beautiful and very clean. Staff is as advertised, very friendly. The issues that I read about most were the pool and the situation with the locals. The pool is large and very warm. Yes there is discolouring around the edges and some guy squirts cleaner on it and scrubs it throughout the day but we didn't see any effects on our swim wear or skin. The weekend we were there the local situation was not bad at all. There was a slight increase but it certainly did not ruin our trip in any way.
The beach is nice but not great. The ocean does wash up seaweed on most days and the water is not the most clearest we have been to.
The kids club is well run by Connie, thank you for looking after our kids and putting them in the night shows, they truly loved it.
Overall our family will return to this resort and we had no real issues at all and for the price ($3200) we really cant beat it.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,
We want to thank you for taking time to write a review about your stay at Iberostar Costa Dorada and in the name of the hotel Management and the whole team we also thank you for choosing our hotel for your family vacations.
We want to express how satisfied we are to read that your positive valuation our varied gastronomy; and the cleanness and beauty of our premises, the wide options for daily and nightly entertainment for all ages and the friendliness of our team. In Iberostar we are committed to provide an excellent service to our beloved guests as Connie did with your children at the kids club.
We are looking forward to welcome you back again. Please feel free to contact us before your arrival.
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

The best resort in Puerto Plata, service was irreprochable. The room was very cleaned as well as resort facilities. What amazed me was the snack bar at night, very complete and with service, which is a lot better compared to the other resorts I stayed at. The food itself was okay. If I do go back to Puerto Plata, I would most probably choose this resort again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,
Thank you for posting a review on Tripadvisor about your stay at Iberostar Costa Dorada and for choosing our hotel premises as your holiday’s destination.
We are very pleased to acknowledge that the kindness and excellent service of our staff as our varied gastronomy have ensured you unforgettable ten experiences, as we aim in Iberostar Hotels and Resorts.
We will be glad to welcome you back and remain at your entire disposition for any assistance before your next visit.
With regards,
Knoxville
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

We went as a group of 13 guys and were expecting to have a great time. The pool was great and we had a blast playing volleyball and basketball in the pool. When it came time to eat the food was the worst food I have ever ate. The food had no taste and looked like it was all frozen and just warmed up. We had the same food for breakfast, lunch, and dinner at the buffet the whole time we were there. When we went out to the bars and few of my friends picked up girls they were charged $67.5 per girl to bring back. I thought this was a little outrageous especially when we were never told of this. The next night the guy asked for $72 dollars. The staff at night was very rude but the staff in the morning was very nice. We had 7 rooms and all of our rooms smelt like sewage. The beds felt like they were 30 years old and I had to get a massage which I would say was worth every penny. The massage runs $25 dollars for 1 hour. I would not recommend this resort to anyone that wants to have a good time and eat a good meal. The last night we took a taxi and went to a restaurant because we couldn't eat the nasty food one more day.

Room Tip: 2nd floor if you want the view of the pool
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Costa Dorada, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Dear guest,
We thank you for choosing Iberostar Costa Dorada for your vacations and also for taking the time to post a review about your stay.
As we informed you personally Iberostar Costa Dorada is a family hotel in which visitors and extra guests non included in must match our family friendly ambiance. We regret to acknowledge that you and your friends could not understand our policies and posted this review.
In case you decide to visit our premises and behaving with our rules related to our “family friendly ambience”, we will be more than pleased to assist you before your arrival.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

Me and my girlfriend stayed here for a week and had a lovely time nice food beer etc, My problem was the weekend when the hotel was packed with the locals with no manners or respect . i have read a few post now and it seems this weekend business is bringing the name of the hotel down. Also i think they need to step security up on the beach to stop you getting hassled by lucky lucky men . they pretend to work for the hotel and take you down the orange market. apart from that it was a great experience, would i go again i would say YES.

Room Tip: rooms on top face pool or sea
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,
On behalf of the Hotel Management, we thank you for choosing Iberostar Costa Dorada for your holidays and for posting your feedback about your experience at our grounds.
We are very pleased to read that your holiday among us was pleasant. In Iberostar we aim to ensure unforgettable experiences to our valuable costumers without discrimination based on nationalities.
We will be honored to welcome you back again. Please feel free to contact us before your return.