“Thanks iberostar for a brilliant holiday” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Costa Dorada

You added Iberostar Costa Dorada to your Saves list
Iberostar Costa Dorada
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Luperon km 4 | Marapica, Costa Dorada, Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #3 of 42 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Thanks iberostar for a brilliant holiday”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

Me my fiancé and my mam travelled to the iberostar costa dorada, 9th sept 2012 and returned at 23rd September. When we arrived at the hotel we were greeted by hotel staff who gave us a lovely refreshing cocktail which was lovely after a 9hr flight. We go checked in quite quickly after filling all the forms in, we were in block 7 on the top floor, I emailed the hotel before I arrived so I could get this block as it is the quieter of them. We had to wait a little while for our cases to come to us, which is one thing we didnt like. After receiving our bags we got changed and headed to the beach bar for a drink. Wow beach bar is fabulous as its lovely and cool to sit and escape the sun.
FOOD
We went to the buffet restaurant on our first night and the food was outstanding, all the meals were absolutely fantastic, there's nothing I could complain about food wise, as there's always something to eat. Every night is different in the restaurant as they have theme nights the best night of all was the Dominican night where they set alight to some coffee beans with rum which was gorgeous. They also have some a la carte restaurants but we didn't try these as the buffet restaurant was lovely. The snack bar at lunch time is repetitive but it has something there for everyone to eat. Popcorn fabulous, ice cream to die for especially in the heat. The evening snack bar after 10pm does some fantastic burgers which are to die for.
POOL AND BEACH
Most of our holiday was spent sat around the pool. There was always beds at 8am around the pool no need to run down at 6 to put your towels on them. The pool has many activities which run from 9-30 am till 5pm which if you didn't want to get involved you didn't have to. Everyday there's a man who cleans inside the pool as there's yellow stains around the outside, the only thing I can say is don't wear a white costume as mine turned yellow don't know if it was sun tan lotion or chlorine, at least they were keeping it clean. There's to platforms in the pool which are excellent sun beds if you want to catch the sun. Maybes this hotel could do with a swim up bar.
The beach is always clean and didn't have that much seaweed when we had a look, our first week we were there they released some turtles into the sea which I thoroughly enjoyed watching, it's not often you go away and see something so spectacular.
All the staff are brilliant the reception staff couldn't do enough to help you, the bar staff are fabulous and give you generous portions of alcohol. The waiters in the restaurant are fantastic always saying hello and asking if your alright. When sat around the pool you will see some photographers come around who are brilliant, they don't pester you if you don't wanna buy your photos you don't have to I have to say a hello to ericka who works day in and day out all day and all night. These staff members work long hours for very little pay. There's a few of the ladies who were pregnant and I felt sorry for them having to work in the heat. One of the ladies didn't feel well so she went home. The girl who does the towels is always smiling and is also pregnant hope all the babies are well.
The entertainment staff work all day from 9 am to 12am at night this is a long time especially if not many people want to join in the activities. The shows could do with an update but there's to which I did enjoy as that was the lion king show and the pool show which was fantastic. One night out of the week they have a beach party which they have a bonfire. Strange sitting on a beach with a bonfire alight but it's romantic setting.
The only bad thing I have to complain about mainly is the locals the first week we were here.
It wasn't too bad, the next week the whole pool was crowded. In the restaurant the waiters would serve the locals first before coming to us, but through the week they would do anything to help you. I know they are entitled to a holiday but there's manners when you go to theses resorts.
We travelled with first choice and our rep dindo was fabulous we needed a bottle of anejo rum and dindo went to his local shop and bought us some and delivered it the day we went home.
My fiancé celebrated his birthday here and the hotel gave him a cake and I received a red roséas they thought it was my birthday.
Thanks iberostar for a brilliant holiday.

Room Tip: 7213 this is a fantastic room, everything works in the room, only thing to watch is the door handles...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Costa Dorada, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Dear Guest,
We would like to thank you for posting a review about your stay at the Iberostar Costa Dorada, and for choosing Iberostar Hotels and Resorts for your holidays and birthday celebration.
In the name of Mr. Pedro Morales, Hotel Manager, we want to express how glad we are to know that you had a memorable holiday among us. We are very pleased to hear that our friendly staffs, our varied gastronomy, our beautiful premises and the wide options of daily and nightly activitities proposed by our Star Friends were part of your “brilliant holidays”, as you stated in the review. Our Iberostar Costa Dorada team is happy to know that their work left you a remarkable impression.
We kindly invite you to give us a new visit; please contact us before your arrival.
Yours Sincerely,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (662)
  • Polish first
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

My wife and I stayed for two weeks, we chose this place as our Honeymoon. We wanted sun, sea, food and alcohol!! And that is what we got. We stepped off the plane into an oven !

We didn't take maleria tablets, we took full strength 50% deet insect spray, there is not that many mozies flying around , I thought there would be loads, needless to say we're home and fine, I did get bitten about 5 times in two weeks. I think 3 of them where sand bugs?

First of all ,well done Moz , for catching that 150lb black marlin, It's true I saw him do it !

What I didnt understand from reviews I'd read was about " the locals come into the hotel" let me explain, Some Dominicans like to holiday too,And they go to this hotel for a weekend break and pay , and I suspect to other hotels too, just like we would at home so dont worry it's not a problem.

The food in the buffet is pretty good to be honest, it's not top quality but I didn't struggle to fill my plates, salad kept over ice, fish, bread, cold meat, eggs, hot meats,burger,pasta much more,, ( there was lobster one night I ate two whole lobsters, it was fantastic,The specialty restaurants are not very good at all, but are worth a try, you can buy wine from a wine list which we did, we managed to get a really nice sauvignon blanc for 10 quid.( we got the same bottle on our return it was that nice ) I must add that the service in ALL the restaurants and at the buffet was fantastic,we bought a bottle of cheap champagne in the Brazilian,it was opened like a true proffesional and he always had an eye on our glasses to top them up.(Louis). The food was not a problem for us.

Our room was good, no problems, the ac was always on,(greeted by much needed cold air after sun bathing) we used the safe, and iron/board, shower, and a bath all good, toilet fine, towels fine, maid fine, tv fine, fridge with mini bar consisting of water, coke,fanta , and two beers replenished every other day without exception.our room was on the top floor of block 5, with no noise what so ever for two weeks, total bliss for us.

Now for the important information. The bars are great, the lager is good enough it's like carling, or fosters. The cocktails are ramed full of booze , there is no other way I can put it . Mega , a double would be a weak one ! A friend looked at me as we stood at the bar in disbelief as we watched our drinks being made, and he said " it's like they are paying them to get rid of it " .no problems , with the drinks no dodgy hangovers, or sore heads. Lots to try.lots of ice. Great stuff.

The beach is wet and sandy.
Lots of little fish.
Palm trees
Great for sun bathing ,swimming, drinking, dancing,watching nature.great.
(I run from entertainment teams , it pains me to say these guys are funny and not at all annoying)
I am the proud owner of not one , not two but three coveted iberostar peak caps ! From winning some of the beach games, yes I played beach games. ( there's something wrong with the air rifle )

We went deepsea fishing and realised a dream ! It was increadable , a dream come true just to be there when we caught a marlin, at one point I thought we where going to need a bigger boat. What more do I need to say ? 150 lb easy I thought it was gona kill the deck hand at one point! High five big man.well done

I took a four piece travel rod and tackle for beach fishing, I took a mixed bag to see if... but nothing I'm not sure it's the place for it, it is further off the beach, but I don't fancy fighting a canou on the waves for a maybe fish. After the marlin I didn't care.haha

To surmise souly on our trip we both really did enjoy it here, the hotel is good , the beach is good, the food and drink is good,the weather is hot and sunny but it was the staff that where great and it was them and their hard work that made our holiday a memory we will never forget. Go.

Thank you all at the iberostar well done.

(And Thank you to our Tomson holiday rep Dindo his proffesionalism,dedication and hard work are testimony to the HR department at Tomson. We felt like we where looked after and given some simple but important advice as soon as we arrived keeping our best interests at heart, ensuring we had a happy and a safe holiday from day one. Dindo was an excellent representation of Tomson we will be more then happy to continue using Tomson again and again. Well done )

Room Tip: If you want a quiet room away from pool noise etc, block 5 top floor was perfect for us, I think I h...
Dear guest,
We would like to thank you for having chosen Iberostar Costa Dorada as your Honeymoon destination, and for having taken time to post a review about your experience.
In the name of the Hotel Manager, Mr. Pedro Morales, we want to express you how glad we are to read that you had a wonderful experience among us, and once again congratulations for your wedding. In Iberostar we aim to ensure memorable stays to our beloved guests through a friendly staff and a varied gastronomy as well as beautiful landscapes. We will congratulate Luis at the Brazilian restaurant for contributing to enjoy your stay.
We are looking forward to welcome you back again, and please contact us before your arrival, so we can ensure you another great five star experience,
durham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

6 of us stayed on the 20th of september 2012- the 4th of october have to say the staff are much frendly than other hotels slipped one day when i got some drinks the waiters helped me up and braught the drinks round to the sundbed that i was at. entertainment was brilliant cappuchino, eddie murphy, shakira, maria, gg, pepsi cola, connie, bielka. the maids was really great at making your rooms it was clean and they make swans and other animals out of towels and a heart aswell. visited the spa have to say the service is really good my nanna had a massage and she loved it the jacuzzi is good theirs 2 one is really hot and the other one is cool. went on some trips paradise island, mega trucks, oceon world and the catamaran. if you go on the mega trucks bring plenty of sweets toys pencils or other stuff thats cheap cos the kids will be really grateful and you go horse back riding but if you don't like horses or alergic to them do go on them tell the people. the food is really good have the same every day like pizza, ice cream and other food their is vegetarian food. the drinks are really good try the iberostar cocktail its really nice and the zombie they put plenty of alcohol in. the waiters are really nice have to say nelson is realy helpful. the pool is really warm would go again don't read the negative reviews.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Costa Dorada, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Dear guest,
Thank you for posting a review in Tripadvisor about your visit to Iberostar Costa Dorada. In the name of the Hotel Manager, Mr. Pedro Morales, we thank you for choosing our hotel for your holidays.
We are very satisfied to hear that you had a memorable stay among us. Our Star Friends as well as the whole Iberostar Costa Dorada team are committed to provide the best service to our beloved guests. Thank you for highlighting the service provided by Nelson at the buffet and our entertainers: Cappuchino, Eddie Murphy, Shakira, Maria, GG, Pepsi Cola, Connie, Bielka.
We are looking forward to welcome you back, please contact us before your arrival.
Hatboro, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

I've done a number of all inclusives over the past 10 years. This is one of my favorites! My husband and I went in October 2012 and booked our trip through jetBlue Airlines. We spoke with Trish who worked with us, our budget and our timing. She did a fantastic job with accurately presenting our options and helping us to select this resort.
The rooms were comfortable and clean. They have beer, soda and water in the rooms. Housekeeping came like clockwork each day and there were plenty of towels.
The food was excellent for an all inclusive. One of my complaints at past resorts is they seem to try and make the food "American" rather than giving the visitor a taste of traditional or local food. They did a great of serving a variety of foods and there was plenty of really fresh fruits and veggies. We couldn't believe the fabulous job they did daily with desserts, coffees and drinks.
Everyone on the staff was helpful and a pleasure to be around! Cesarin, Santo, Maria, Tony Elvin (makes the best rum drinks!).
This resort is in nice condition, the staff stays on top of the repairs and such and it shows.
If you are a 4 star traveler in the US you will not be disappointed with this hotel.
We are looking forward to going back next year with friends.

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view room. We upgraded for a small charge and it was worth the money. I also reco...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear guest BarbaraB,
First at all, we would like to thank you for having chosen Iberostar Costa Dorada for your vacation and for taking time to write some comments about your stay.
On behalf of the Hotel Manager, Mr. Pedro Morales, we want to express how satisfied we are to read that you enjoyed a “wonderful vacation” according to the title of your review. In Iberostar we are committed to ensure to our beloved guest to feel as “stars” during their holidays. We will congratulate Cesarin, Santo, Maria, Tony Elvin for helping us to achieve our goal with their remarkable work.
We are already looking forward to see you in our facilities, please feel free to contact us again before your next visit.
uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

We stayed at the Costa Dorada for two weeks and had a great holiday.
We stayed in block 7 overlooking the pool and everything worked fine.
The food at the speciality restaurants was very good and the buffet was varied and lots of choice.
The lobby bar is the best place for cocktails.
We found all the staff from gardeners through to front desk to be friendly and helpful.
The star friends did a brilliant job and were there to entertain all day but were never too pushy if you just wanted to relax.
I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Costa Dorada, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Dear guest,
Thank you for posting a review about your stay at the Iberostar Costa Dorada and for choosing our hotel for your holidays.
In the name of the Hotel Manager, Mr. Pedro Morales, we want to express you our satisfaction to acknowledge that you had “a great holiday”, as you stated in the review, due to the excellent service provided by our friendly staff and our varied gastronomy. In Iberostar we are committed to ensure a memorable stay to our beloved guests.
We are looking forward to welcome you back; please contact us before your arrival.
Chester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

My wife and I stayed 23rd Sept - 7th Oct and had an excellent time. The accomodation was clean and comfortable - we stayed in room 6011 which was quiet and had sea views. The food was brilliant and the service was excellent especially from Lucia who looked after us in the evening serving drinks etc. The entertainment wasn't the best we have seen but still very good. Worth watching the Lion King. We sunbathed by the sea most of the time as the pool was abit too noisy especially with locals at the weekend - however it is a minor point. Quite windy in the afternoons while we were there which meant that the sea was quite churned up so no good for snorkelling!! There is alot of seaweed on the beach but it is cleaned up every day. No problem getting a sunbed as plenty available. Look out for the old guy selling wooden parrots, he is a real character!! Overall we would recommend this hotel to anybody looking for a superior level of service, food quality and cleanliness. We hope to go back in the not too distant future. See you soon!!

Dear guest,
We want to thank you for your choosing our hotel for your holidays and for writing a review about your experience at the Iberostar Costa Dorada.
In the name of Mr. Pedro Morales, Hotel Manager, it is a pleasure for us to read that you have had an excellent experience during your visit to our hotel. In Iberostar we aim to ensure unforgettable experiences to our beloved guests. We will congratulate Lucia for contributing to achieve our goal during your holidays.
We are already willing to welcome you back, please contact us to assist you for your next visit.
Hamburg, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

We stayed there for two weeks and we enjoyed every minute!
The food was fabulious, the drinks where gerat!The staff was soo unbelievable friendly and helpful!
Everything was just perfect!!We would recommend to everyone and will come back!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,
On the behalf of Hotel Manager, Mr. Pedro Morales, we thank you for posting a review about your experience and for choosing Iberostar Costa Dorada for your holidays.
We are very pleased to hear that the service provided by our staff members and our varied gastronomy ensured you a memorable holiday as we aim in Iberostar Hotels and Resorts.
We are looking forward to welcome you back again. Please contact us before your arrival.
With kindest regards,

Been to Iberostar Costa Dorada? Share your experiences!