This resort has seen better days but the staff are extremely friendly and the food is good. The buffet restaurant is the best as the A La Carte ones are'nt up to much. I was left wondering if there is a discount to be had if you had several tattoos as it was a game of trying to spot someone that didn't look like a Chav or a "gangsta" such was the array of body art on display. Call me a snob but it gave the place a certain image when everyone you saw was adorned with tattoos that would make a Maurii envious! Entertainment breaks the advertising mis- descriptions act. Beautiful beaches on your doorstep and snorkeling was good even though the reef is mainly dead. Still plenty of fish to see. We went in the middle of June for 2 weeks and the wind on the beach is constant and makes it a bit difficult for watersports.
If you are doing tours, save yourself a fortune and book direct. We did horse riding with lorilar ranch and it was a faultless, highly enjoyable tour. We also did the Puerto Plata tour of the cable car ride, the rum factory, cigar and amber factory ourselves and the taxi from Gran Ventana cost $40 with tickets for the cable car over and above this.
The 27 waterfall tour was quoted at $75 each with First Choice but we got a taxi ourselves from the hotel for $50 for four people and the price for the waterfall tickets are between 8 and 12 dollars each. Best place to buy souvenirs is the flea market on the beach about 15 minute walk to the left from Gran Ventana beach. Volcanic rock Necklace for 100 pesos compared to the original asking price of up to 1250pesos. Avoid booking the dune buggies with James in the playa dorado complex as this was the only tour we did through a middle man who was a really nice guy but the outfit that ran the buggies are a shambles. Our buggy broke down after the gear drive literally fell off, we than were given another buggy which broke down three times and all the buggies had tyres with punctures repaired with wadding stuffed in the holes. Very few steered very well because of warped tyres and axles. You can buy a video of this tour for$30 -don't waste your money.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Despegar.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Ventana Beach Hotel
- Gran Ventana Dominican Republic
- Gran Ventana Puerto Plata
- Gran Ventana Beach Resort Puerto Plata
- Hotel Gran Ventana Beach
- Grand Ventana Beach Resort
- Gran Ventana Hotel Dominican Republic