“great place for a relaxing vacation” 5 of 5 stars
Review of VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort

You added VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort to your Saves list
VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Dorada | PO Box 22, Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #5 of 44 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Toronto, Canada
“great place for a relaxing vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

The resort has good taste, is full of color, the interior gardens fill with birds in the morning, food is better than average, beach and swimming pools fine. More interesting activities can be found close by: sand buggies, horseback riding, very good para-sailing, snorkeling, terraced waterfall that can be used for wet tobogganing, swimming with dolphins etc. We played beach volley with Brits and had some conversations with Dutch and German folks.
In my opinion food was quite diverse. I particularly liked local food: yucca, veggies, plantains, creole cuisine and ripe fruits. I remembered one evening we had exceptional lamb roast but only a minor fraction of tourists even tried it.
The evenings had a beach party, 10 minutes toward the town. There is also a disco close to the mall but I found that less attractive.
I found locals to be very live and helpful (I speak basic Spanish) and respectful. We took a motorcycle taxi to town, purchased Brugal for friends back home and had fun.

On the less bright side, I was a bit surprised by the number of zombies sitting all day in the same chairs, eating the same hot dog, pizza and fries days after days while complaining about various reasons. They lighted for few seconds when I shown them how to spot hummingbirds but lights went back off when animation called the daily bingo game.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (725)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
PORT COLBORNE
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I returned for our 8th visit , to this home away from home , the staff were fantastic , food !! Great, e mailed resort with our room request before leaving , and was pleasantly surprised !! Had great room just what we asked for , loved a quit drink at the beach bar at night, just relax and take in the sounds of the rolling waves , hats off to management for keeping our experience consistent , year after year , I would recommend this hotel , for a nice quiet , vacation

• Stayed February 2013
Woodstock, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

Just returned from our holiday at Gran Ventana. The staff is great. The food is plentiful. The beach is fantastic with lots of lounge chairs and cabanas. It is near the mall. The bed was a king and hard but the room and maid service were great. The night show is not good but the lunch after is nice. The casinos are bad and the taxi drivers will charge you to go to them even if taxis are free to casinos in the compound. I would definately go there again. The pool is great for adults and kids.

Room Tip: Overlook the ocean
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

The resort is great, food, drinks, the staff is great making you feel at home.. needs a few renovations in rooms.. but I been to almost all resorts In Puerto Plata but I always come back to to this one. Ramiro is the best Bartender... you will love this place if you are not looking for a fancy resort but a resort with great service and food.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

I have no idea why that hotel is #2 in Puerto Plata. I agree that food is not bad but no body going for food on vacation. And even for 4.5 star hotel food could be better: meat never was tender and always not cooked properly, really poor variety of fruits.I think significant problems with that hotel are service and beach. Even with generous tips our room was poorly cleaned and one day wasn't cleaned until 4. Mini bar wasn't re-stocked daily. Beach was clean but there was a lot of seaweed. Is was impossible to swim without aqua shoes and beach is not adapted for swimming at all because there no sand under your feet: just wees and broken corals which easily hurt your feet. After first swimming my daughter hurt her feet which was bleeding so badly. I was many times for Cuba. I agree that food there worst but as I mention no body going for food on vacation and beaches so much better in Cuba. I wouldn't go back to this hotel or to Dominician....I will head back to Cuba.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

Just returned from Gran Ventana. My husband and I had a great time. The rooms were very clean. The bed was alittle hard but still had good sleep.
We ate at two of the restaurants the Octopus and Ocean Grill. The food at both was excellent. The italian restaurant was closed so we were not able to eat there. The buffet had lots of variety,
The pool and grounds were kept clean. There was always people cleaning around the pool.
The animation team work very hard to keep the visitors to the resort happy. Scooby Doo and Mickey Mouse were alot of fun.
We took a excursion to Paradise Island where the snorkeling was very good. Snorkeling off the beach at the resort was not good at all. They didn't have flippers to fit my husband so bring your own if you want them.
We did not spend much time at the beach due to the vendors. They come by every few minutes to sell you something. This is their living so I couldn't be upset with them.
I word to the wise. Bring your towel with you. Don't leave it on the back of your pool chair. We had ours taken and there is a $20US charge for them.
I would like to thanks the Sunwing Rep. who made the arrangments to get my bag i left at the hotel.
We will be returning next year.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Montreal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

I have stayed at 4 different resorts in DR, and I was highly impressed with this place. I came back yesterday, and I think it is the best place to stay in Puerto Plata. The rooms are super clean, and they have big sliding doors overlooking a nice balcony with a partial ocean view. It was nice to sit there with a drink. Beds were fine. AC worked well as well. I had emailed the hotel requesting a second floor with a view and that I got.
I thought the food was excellent. There are tons of choices and it was always tasty. There is a tapa section for lunch that has very fun food, from stuffed tomatoes with tuna salad, bocconcini and tomatoes with pesto, to caesar salad, etc. Even the pasta at the buffet was good. There were tons of differents types of salad all the time and lots of excellent fruits in the morning. The A la Carte restaurants were good as well. We had brought our own wine for those restaurants and ate seafood mostly, and it was very good, from the calmars at the restaurant on the beach to seafood pasta at the Italian place.
The staff are truly super nice. They smile all the time and since I speak a little Spanish they always appreciated the effort and went out of their way to ensure you had everything you needed. Very friendly people. It is the same with vendors on the beach; say Gracias with a smile and they will return it and walk away.
I mostly spent my time on the beach which is always super clean but what I also liked is that they have no music by the pool area until happy hour. This is a quiet hotel geared for quiet people, and if you are looking for a peaceful place to read a book, consider this hotel.
I will go back there definately

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort? Share your experiences!