“Gran Ventana <3” 5 of 5 stars
Review of VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort

You added VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort to your Saves list
VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Dorada | PO Box 22, Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #5 of 42 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Scarborough, United Kingdom
“Gran Ventana <3”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

i have just got back from here, and oh my god it is such an amazing place! i can not understand why people are complaining about it, its lovely! all the staff are amazing and very very hard working! the entertainment staff are excellent, they defo make your holiday!! Even the vendors on the beach were friendly, yeah they ask you to buy things, but thats there job! Thats how they make a living, get money to look after there families, youve just gotta understand there life and where they are coming from! all in all everything was perfect, and i am proud to say i will be returning with my mum next year in November and this time were going for 3weeks instead of 2, this is because we enjoyed it that much! i defo reccomend this hotel!
Thinking about visiting the Dominican? GRAN VENTANA is your answer! You will not be let down! :)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (627)
  • Polish first
Miller Place, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

I went by myself to Puerto Plata and stayed at the VH Gran Ventana. The hotel was not fancy but your typical carribean resort. The staff was very friendly. Beware that everything in the hotel is an x-tra charge. Internet service was only avail in the lobby for a fee of $6US/hr. Do not forget to bring anything either because there was a small selection in their gift shop. The buffet was extensive but for the small selections avail it was good. The bar had limited drink selections and you really couldn't request a drink. There was a nice band that played over the weekends..a mix of spanish and english music. The beach was clean but the vendors will drive you insane!

Room Tip: If you like action, get a room pool-side view because every room has a balcony.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
JBohmann, Public Relations Manager at VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Thank you for posting your comments about your recent stay. We are delighted to read that overall you enjoyed your stay with our hotel. Thank you so much for your kind words about our staff. We are sorry to hear you were bothered on the beach. We did want to let you know that as of December 1st, the resort WiFi is now free of charge! Your comments are valuable to us so that we can continue to improve our service. We do hope to welcome you back in the near future.
Poughkeepsie, New York, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

I will say this... I went to the Gran Ventana with high expectations. It sat so high on the list of Hotels for Puerto Plata, that I thought for sure it would be awesome.

The reception was good. Welcomed with some nice fruty drinks and the staff was top notch in receiving us. They put me and the people I went with in different ends of the hotel and would not accommodate us as we wanted without one of us sacrificing our king bed suite. So we were far apart. As I walk in my room, the first thing I see is a TV from the 80's sitting on the desk that looked horrific, i rarely watch TV and when I checked out they apologized for it, they say it should have not been there. No coffee maker and no iron in the room either, HUGE NO NO, in my book.

The food the first day was bland and nothing to cry home about it, the worst part was the selection, which was very limited every night of the week. The service was good but it was clear they did not have enough staff for the demand, but the staff they did have worked VERY hard to please us. The food did get better in the buffet restaurant, BUT the selections were still very limiting.

The beach was nice and big, but the vendors get to you after a while. Just too many of them and I understand they are just making a living, but I wished it was a private beach towards the end of my stay.

The rooms and grounds were impeccable. The hotel does work very hard to have a very clean environment and everything seemed to always be pristine.

The A La Carte restaurants were phenomenon.

The whole thing about the locals and the weekends I did not see. I did speak to the hotel staff and they kept mentioning that was not the case any weekend. It was not the case the weekend I was there.

Lastly, no nightclub or after hours entertainment. Big NO NO as well. If you wanted after hours you had to go outside the resort. After 1130PM, they have a cart with sandwiches, hot dogs and limited drink options and nothing else.

Room Tip: The A La Carte is the way to go. The buffet has limited options.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Scarborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

My daughter and I stayed here for 2 wks 11th-25th Nov 2012 first impressions lovely.The next day we took a 5min walk to the plaza shopping mal and was approached by many sleezes that dont take no for an answer this was very off putting.We headed back to the hotel and didnt go out for 3 days we felt like we were in jail.On the plus side the food was good no one starved the staff were very friendly and everywhere were spotless they were always cleaning.The entertainment was rubbish on a night that they brought in on a plus the entertainment team that are there was good the shows that they put on for us.The vendors on the beach were a pain at first but once they got to know you they left you alone.
We will be back next year as you couldnt wish for nicer peole in the hotel and i will be recommending this hotel

Room Tip: Our room was a standard twin and it was perfect
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

I couldn't believe this resort and the service they offered. They discriminate against their own people and any person of color. They have an obvious partition in their dining area and forget getting a reservation at their exclusive steakhouse. I couldn't believe that I had to resort to speaking English to their waiters and staff to get decent service anywhere on the resort grounds. If you're not sitting in the "reserved" dining hall for breakfast or lunch you can forget getting your drink refilled or having your table cleaned in a timely manner. The rooms are beautiful and housekeeping made it a priority to have your room spotless while you we're away. The pool was also very nice. It's a shame, such a beautiful resort with a disturbing form of hospitality. When I became aware of their obvious discrimination I was absolutely disgusted. I can assure you, I will never go back there again. You'd be better off in Punta Cana where they know how to treat all their guests equally.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Hamlin, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

My wife been to the grand twice had a great time , food was excellent the room clean and the staff was great. We will be going back again in May. This is our 9th time to the dominican in 10 years the weather is great.the games we played were fun and the staff un beleavable an fun.

Room Tip: GO .in late April or Early may weather is great. Second floor is great on the ocean side .
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Happy Valley Goose Bay, NL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

The resort is so nice and clean, there was staff constantly sweeping, wiping, cleaning. I don't really understand the negative posts about this resort, besides the vendors (which were outside of the gates and when you step foot to the beach, which the resort can't do anything about anyway) the hotel you can't ask for better service.
Everyone was pretty eager to please and all smiles 99% of the time. They really appreciate the tips, it wasn't often that we were without our water being topped up or wondering where our food was. Only once was the waitor slow bringing us dessert and only once did I see a guy roll his eyes when I walked towards him at the bar, it was 9:30 in the morning and the bar wasn't open when I went to get water, not knowing that by the coffee stand was a full water stand there, poor guy, I understood though, these are hard working people who work a lot of hours without many days off, or that many people tipping them. Their food is great and they have a wide selection, but it can get old by the end of the week. Usually for breakfast- cheeses, meats, oatmeal or cornmeal, scrambled eggs, boiled eggs, chiliean poached eggs, fried salami or bacon, breakfast sausage, toast, bread, beans and some local traditional food. Best meal of the day :)
The young guy at the front desk was always with a big smile, so pleasant. One of the greeters at the resturant/buffet and the cleaning lady would always ask how the baby was, being a big resort it was nice to know you're not just another number in the crowd :)
We tipped our cleaner Lidia everyday along with giving her little gifts that we picked up at dollarama like panty hose, bobby pins, candy, toys for children, and smelly things. She was so grateful and kind, definately a great addition to the VH Gran Ventana staff. It was nice to hear that one of her daughers or grand daughters liked one of the toys we left for her. She always made us feel special and tried talking to us.
We also tipped the buffet or resturant staff, usually 100 pesos a day. I would reccomend that if you're comforted by english speaking people, to find a waitor that speaks decent english and when he comes around to tip him, he'll usually be the same guy to come back. The only uncomfortable thing I found was that I don't speak any Spanish and the waitor that served us always seemed to translate whatever I said in english to spanish and made me feel kind of bad cause he never said it with a smile or joked around that my spanish is terrible, which I wouldnt have taken offense to :p Well, at least I came back able to say Hi- hola, very good- muy bien and thanks very much- mucho gracias and no thanks- no gracias. haha.
I also reccomend that you travel with a group of people, it's more fun that way. Take advantage of all the things they offer at the resort- bikes, water sports and go on excursions. I was 2 months pregnant went I went down and only could do the city tour, unless I signed a waiver before going on any of the other tours, so I didnt bother so it was kind of slow but nice to sit back in the sun and read. So take a book, sun tan lotion and book as many things to do as you can. I reccomend the outback safari, ocean world, and 27 or 12 waterfalls. I would also reccomend that if you like privacy and a quiet area, that building 3, the out outside of the main building on your way to the mall theres a quiet area with a pool that is nice to sit and sunbathe, read or swim.

Room Tip: Closest to the ocean are the quietest. 1333 is nice, it faces the ocean and you can't hear much...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort? Share your experiences!