“Good Value for the money” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Paradise Playa Dorada

Save Saved
You added Grand Paradise Playa Dorada to your Saves list
Grand Paradise Playa Dorada
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Complejo Playa Dorada | P.O. Box 337, Puerto Plata 332, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #8 of 41 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Toronto, Canada
“Good Value for the money”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

My fella and I stayed at this resort from Oct 6th to the 13th. I dont often write reviews wanted to recently after reading what some people had written after we returned home form this resort.
I believe it is important to write an honest review,as people,including myself,use this information to decide how to spend there vacation dollars.

Rooms:

We stayed in room 1423 on the 2nd floor,Ocean View. The room was nice.Clean but a bit small. Air conditioner worked great.I like it to be nice and cold in the room at night for sleeping and it was! I requested an extra blanket for my fella,but you can control the temp in the room and set it to what YOU like.
Yes you only get one card for the room that runs the air conditioner,but it was fine. Our room stayed cool when we were gone. (your room card runs the AC in the room. You put it in the slot in the door. When you take it out it turns off)
The view was "ok" trees block some of the view of the ocean but still glad we chose Ocean View. It was nice and quite and I am a VERY light sleeper. We were close to everything. Beds were firm,pillows were ok,but a bit lumpy lol
No coffee makers in the rooms at this resort
Water and pop only in the fridge

Beach:

Beaches were again just "ok" we like to snorkel. There was a little spot on the beach to the right. A little crop of rocks that had lots of little fish and a bit of coral to see,but you have to get very close as the water is not very clear. Was a bit creepy at time because the current would push you in even closer to the rocks if your not careful and I dont want to touch seaweed lol it creeps me out
Venders were a bother. Nice people though. Just trying to make a living. We eventually got to know them as we saw the same ones everyday.I did buy a few things. but it did get a little annoying. They came by every 10 min Id say. We found if we went to the beach latter in the day there was less of them. This is something you would have to be prepared for as it IS a problem. One vender asked if we would trade our sunscreen for something he was selling when we were ready to go home,as it is so expensive to buy sunscreen there. Were were happy to do so.

Pool:

Pool was an ok size for the amount of people who were at the resort (maybe 60 in total when we were there) but would be crowded at high season. ALSO there were only 8 umbrellas at the pool when we went and it went down to 6 the last few days. They may have been cleaning or repairing them,Im not sure,but we could have used a few more and there wernt many people there....lots of chairs though!?

Food:

Ok this was hard for me lol. Im a vegetarian. I dont eat any fish or chicken either. I had to eat ALLOT of rice and beans. Every Lunch and dinner.I told my boyfriend that I was pretending I was on "Survivor" lol There were also boiled potato at EVERY meal I could also have some cheese or lettuces, onions or tomato and bread...but not much else. I always found something but I cant remember when I ate so many carbs!
My fella on the other hand said he though the food was good from the selections he had to choose from. The best "resort food" he has had so far, he said They had different " meat" stations at every lunch and dinner, sometimes a pasta station aswell as an omelet station for breakfast.I think they were fixing up the main buffet, The last half of the week it opened back up and we had allot more selection.
They did a very nice dinner by the pool on Thursday night. They had to move everything over. It must have been allot of work. It was very nice. They passed out comment cards this night. I gave my honest opinion about the food,and for the days following, I would say the food improved immensely! Much more selection for vegetarians.
We were given comment cards 3 times in total the week we were there. They really seem to care what everyone thought. I told the lady handing out the cards how I thought the food had improved since the first comment card. She seamed genuinely happy to hear that.
...and no they wernt just giving them to "the locals" as one other reviewer had said. Seriously how would you be able to tell who the "locals"were anyway? Because of there language and skin colour? ...dont get out much I guess lol

touching on the "locals" thing
I really dont get why some people would say that "Locals" crowded into the resort on the weekends? We had people staying at the resort from Chilli, Puerto Rico when we were there? Are these the people you ment? ....what because there skin was brown? We also had some people from Canada there who spoke Spanish and had brown skin?....were they the "locals" you spoke of? The resort is open to any who would like to come. Your not any better then anyone else. If there were "locals" there I would have never known,and who cares anyway?
geesh,some people..........

Service:

We found the service to be great! Sometimes we had three different people looking after us we didnt know who to tip.( Not because we were trying to buy drugs or sleep with the Animation team like other reviewers had said of some vacationers lol BECAUSE WE TIPPED ....and maybe because we were nice to them? lol ) .We left a couple bucks after every meal and at the bar. They REALLY appreciated it. Took great care of us.

Shows were just ok. Gave you something to do, but nothing spectacular.

Animation team were allot of fun. We didn't play any of the games or dance ( we're lame lol) but they still tried to get us involved but weren't pushy ...

last min tips:

- if your getting a massage,the older lady is better at it then the younger lady :)

- change your money at the airport. The front desk didnt have any change,and coulnt break bills. You would have to go to the mall down the street and the exchange is very high

-snacks are HALF the price at the mall down the street then at the store at the resort.....if you dont mind fending off more "sellers" They are aggressive in there! lol

-Time share presentation will take you HOURS if you chose to go. lol

All and all great value for the money spent. We paid 570$ taxes and all,per person for an Ocean view room. So how could you complain, people who came at the same time as we did!?You cant beat that!

Send me a message if you have any questions. Id be happy to help! :)

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (282)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Let me first start by saying that I rely heavily on the reviews I read here on Trip Advisor, but am thinking that perhaps that isn't as good an idea as I thought.
My girlfriend and I have done a fair bit of travelling. We are not posh, but do like cleanliness, and safety. We are not fancy, but, do enjoy experiencing the finer things whenever we can.
This is my first review, and really the only reason I decided to leave one, was from reading some of the nasty reviews that I have read regarding this resort in particular.
We just returned a week ago today, and read some of the reviews from people that have been to this resort within a similar time frame as us - one in-particular must have been there the exact time we were.
I have to correct these individuals, as it's not fair for those using this site to help with their travels, nor is it fair to the people that are trying to make a living at these resorts. Now, I am not opposed to bad reviews when they are accurate, as I believe that if you are in the hospitality industry, you must meet certain standards - but when I read things that are simply wrong, malicious, or ignorant - it just makes me angry.
This resort is just fine. If you think you are worth something more than the rest of us normal people, or if you think that you should be living the life of a prince, then I must ask why you are even staying in Dominican to begin with? Perhaps you should stay where the other rich people go, and not try to save a few dollars by going to one of these affordable places.
This place is clean. The grounds, the rooms, and the pool. The staff very friendly, and accommodating. It is a small resort, and while I must admit, when first arriving, the buffet was a little less than desirable, - and not for any other reason other than lack of variety - but, after a couple of days when the actual buffet was re-opened after some renovations, it was just fine. Of all the places in the Caribbean we have been to, this one did have a better idea of what seasoning is when cooking. And, although it's not "american-ized" to it's fullest - let's remember YOU ARE NOT IN AMERICA. And if you would rather be, then perhaps you should go to Florida.
One night a week, and we got to experience this on the Thursday night we were there, the staff work extra hard to put all the tables, with candle light, around the pool deck - bring all the food and the chefs outside, including a roast turkey chef, and beef or chicken kabob chef, plus all the other entrées, and desserts outside. It was a lot of extra work, and the wait staff were great. But, it was simply so management could show appreciation to their guests. It was very nice to have the nice music, the candlelight, out under the palm trees, and stars - simply, for no other reason, than to show "thanks" to the guests of the hotel. There was also a lady bringing around comment cards for people to share their thoughts. If this place didn't care, as a few of the other ignorant reviewers implied, why bother to do all this.
Now, there is one down-side to this place, and I wouldn't entirely blame the resort, as the beach it has, is a public beach, but, it's the vendors - and although this is the only place we have stayed in in Dominican, apparently from others we spoke to, they are bad all over the island. Nonetheless, it can get very annoying to be asked to buy, or look at stuff every ten minutes.
When we were there, which of course is down time, the resort is not busy by any means. We had most of the pool to ourselves, as well as most of the beaches to ourselves, and we prefer it that way - hence travelling in the down time - but, when they do let the "locals" in on the weekends, there was no issue. They kept to themselves with their families, didn't cause "extra noise", or "eat all the food". We hardly realized they were there, except things seemed a little busier. And from Spanish speaking people rather than English or German ones - so I can only assume they were even local. Regardless - they were not a "nuisance" as implied.
We did have an ocean view room - and it was nice. Not very big, but clean, and quite pleasant. The tv worked, but was "snowy" - so if you are going to a resort to hang out in your room - well - what is there to say to that.
Over all, I would say that we would return to this place - at the same price we paid in down time - and if we decided not to, it would be only because of the vendors everywhere - not for anything the resort itself did wrong.
If you like a small, quaint, quiet resort, with 2 nice beaches, a large pool, and pleasant staff, this would be a good place to relax. If you are there to party, this might not be the place for you. If you are there to watch TV, this may not be the place for you. But, over all, it was a great week.
And no, we didn't see any signs of "drug abuse", or "Sleeping around" by the staff - and to be frank, I am not sure, that if it were going on, that I would have known anyway, unless I was in some way trying to participate in that kind of stuff.
Please don't make things up, or exaggerate if you are trying to leave a helpful review for other travellers - it's just not fair to anyone.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW via mobile

I enjoyed the overall vacation.
Food- was good- could have been a little warmer
Animation- LOVED THESE GUYS- my fav was Aris- & Zappato
Pool- was nice- could have been cleaner
Biggest like-the staff including pool bartender and wait staff
Biggest dislike- Too many plastic chairs- breakfast lunch and dinner and show all on plastic chairs was way too much- I have been to multiple resorts in DR and they manage to have comfy outdoor furniture so no reason this resort cant have comfy weather resistant at least for dinner and show.

Might go back but not for sure- other than to see the staff and get treated to outstanding service! They made our vacation.

• Stayed October 2014
Rockville Centre, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

This review may get a little lengthy due to the fact that im a huge worrier and I rely on reviews so I try to give a spot on review so check in was a brezze they do offer wifi 2 packages 1 is 28 for 3 days or 48 for a week sad thing about that was yu can only put 1 device on ur connection and it doesnt work in rooms unless yu get a room net to there hotspots which are at the bars and lobby and pool pretty much anywhere outside the room was noce had a junior sweet 2 beds in seperate rooms with a kitchenette big bathroom but a tiny tub/shower combo 2 pools 1 big one with a swim up bar a kid pool and seperate jacuzzi all nice never to crowded or anything the food was nice variety between days and also between meals they have snacks sum times chips a dip or sandwhich or wings and hot dogs the a la carta Is open on certain days (gud luck trying to get a reservation) this resort is older and a hit smaller but the grounds are well kept they have night time shows bit the animation omg they are all the best a few of them I noticed was there all day everyday they make ur stay I promise you there are so sweet and just so passionate about there job I wish I could jame them all they were great I rate it 3.5 trust me over look the bad reviews and id recommend this resort it isnt perfect so dont expect 5 star quality but it is a great just amazing resort and the staff are mostly friendly and definitely try to learn some spanish most of them speak very little english

Stayed October 2014, traveled with friends
London, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

Let me first explain "Superior Ocen View Room" at this resort does not mean a Superior Room! Don't be naive as we were and pay the extra $. Our "Superior" room was old, smelly and dirty upon arrival. Had to pay an additional $140.00 to upgrade to a clean room. Staff are rude, food is barely edible and numerous people we met fell ill eating the food at this resort. Locals stampede into this resort Friday evenings and finally get out late Sunday. They are loud, discard their cups in the pool instead of throwing them out, spit in the pool and clean out the barely edible food buffet. It was disgusting. Public washrooms were filthy. I had to ask staff to clean them but ended up going to our room to use the facilities instead. I would discourage anyone wanting a peaceful, relaxing vacation from every even thinking of this resort. I would also suggest to NOLITOURS they reconsider offering this below average rip off resort. The only good I can say is that the weather was beautiful. Had one day of clouds and a bit of rain. I can't believe some of the reviews I have read on this site saying the resort was clean and the staff friendly???? I am not one of those travellers who expect 5* service for a 3* price but folks this place wasn't even a 3*! I would put it at a 2* at best. We have travelled extensively to many many resorts. Next time we will stay away from Puerto Plata like so many others we have spoken to. Appreantly there have been 7 resorts close in Puerto Plata in the last few months. Pretty sure this one will join them at some point if drastic measures are not taken!

Room Tip: Save your money, don't upgrade!
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Loved this place. Yes it's a smaller, older resort. Which means lots of charm and beautiful grounds.
Pool is great, lots of chairs and umbrellas. Elvis at the swim up bar what can I say other than your amazing, humble and make the best drinks ever!
Animation staff are always doing fun and crazy things to keep you busy and entertained. Javier you rock!
Beds are comfortable but you may want to bring your own pillows.
Food was great at the buffet and a la carte. Serving staff friendly and attentive.
Vendors on the beach are downright annoying and bothersome but that's not the resorts fault. Water is crystal clear and so warm.
All in all my family of four. Myself, husband and two children had a wonderful time and can't wait to go back.
Don't go expecting a 5 star and you won't be disappointed, ignore the nay sayers post and enjoy all this beautiful resort has to offer.

Stayed October 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

The hotel was amazing, clean and a great location. The staff were amazing, friendly and always smiling. Aristomedes,javier,luciano and joancarlos made the trip even better. Always smiling and funny. It wouldn't have been the same without them. Aris was the best ;)
mucho mucho gracias

Adios.

• Stayed October 2014

Been to Grand Paradise Playa Dorada? Share your experiences!