“Nice Stay” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Paradise Playa Dorada

You added Grand Paradise Playa Dorada to your Saves list
Grand Paradise Playa Dorada
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Complejo Playa Dorada | P.O. Box 337, Puerto Plata 332, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #9 of 42 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Pennsauken, New Jersey
“Nice Stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

I stay with my wife and 3 year old daugther for 1 week at the resort. From Friday afternoon until Sunday the locals are in and they trash the resort leaving empty cups all over the resort. At the buffet they let their kids do what ever they want and you can't enjoy your meals. I would recomend saving your ala carta reservation for the weekend since you are only allow 2 reservations per guest. After the locals leave the resort returns into a paradise. The beach is excellent and beautiful and the view is screen saver quality. The staff is very excellent and are always willing to do everything they can to help you have a good vacation especially the gentlemen that is the waiter at the ala carta restaurant he is excellent. At the beach you must get the foot massage from the lady that walks on the beach offering it to the tourist you wont regret. There are also a few beach vendors but if you don't want to buy just said no and they walk away.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms 2nd or 3rd level only. On the 1st level you don't get any privacy as the kitche...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (295)
Pontypridd, Wales, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Ive recently stayed at this hotel.......It was soooo amazing. THE ENTERTAINMENT TEAM (MANNY) & (DONKEY) Soooo funny. Worked very hard to keep everyone entertained. They both made my holiday. Because of them i will be booking this hotel again for next year. Best time of my life. Miss you all guys :)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Edmonton, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

I am a frequent offender at Playa Dorada and loved my stay at Grand Paradise. The entertainment team was extremely engaging - especially Donkey and Manny!!! Their jobs are nearly impossible during the slow season but they always went above and beyond with daily games and other activities.

Rooms were clean and have been renovated with modern touches. Food was well presented and provided a variety.

Room Tip: I always ask for a room with an ocean view. If you ask when booking you often pay more, however mos...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013 via mobile

From the time we arrived the staff made our stay enjoyable and comforting. The food was quite good, with a decent variety of food thru the week. We found the entertainment and supporting staff particularly good. Senior Donkey maid us feel at home and maid sure everyone was having fun. Thanks Donkey. We will be going back. Met lots of friendly people, both Dominicans and tourists. Always felt safe. Location is very good. We have done our share of travelling and can easily say it was our best holiday ever. Thanks to all the staff.

• Stayed April 2013
Stayner, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

Recently stayed for 1 week. It was a beautiful resort. Staff is second to none. We were treated like royalty. Rooms were very clean. Manny, Rafeal and Chi Chi were 3 of the nicest people I have ever met. They went out of their way to see that our stay was comfortable and that we didnt want for anything. Cant wait to go back and visit all of the wonderful people I met there. The beach was the most beautiful I have ever seen.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Santiago, República Dominicana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

We went for a couple of days with the family. The rooms were the best of it. They're renewed with LCD Tv and new furniture, and super clean also. The food is ok and drinks are in the down side. But for spending in my case US$60 per person/night i think it was a good deal!!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

Let me start off by thanking the entertainment team - DONKEY, MANNY, CHISPA, CHERRY (and a few more, can't remember their names) without these people our trip would have been completely boring! Even though the resort was dead (we were there during low season) the entertainment team always had us involved with daily activities. These guys really work their butts off!

Room: Our room was clean, pretty up to date. A few ants in the bathroom, but nothing to complain about. We got 2 bottles of water plus 1 pop a day (near the end of the week our housekeeping attendant gave us a few more pop) disappointed there was NO beer in the fridge. If you want beer for your room, your best bet is to walk to the plaza close by and purchase some.

Beach/excursions: The beach area was a little small, but nice. Be prepared to be approached constantly by vendors and people wanting you to book tours with them. At first I thought they were part of the hotel, but they are not! my opinion if your planning to do an excursion book with your hotel rep or with Speedy (by the kids pool) he's very helpful and kind.

Food: I was really disappointed of the buffet. Not much of a selection compared to past resorts I've been to. My family got sick from the food! though I was fine (I was very careful on what I ate and limited myself) I would recommend staying away from the burgers at the "snack bar" as they're sitting in water for long periods of time (yuck) a lot of people we talked to through out our stay had also became ill...so be careful. I would also stay away from the water unless its bottled! Was not impressed with the Italian a la carte, the food was just blah for my liking but the Grill a la carte wasn't so bad (I had the pork chops and they were pretty good)

Low season weekends: During low season a lot of locals come to stay on the weekends. Didn't bother us one bit, the place became more live. We were advised to keep our beach towels close to us on the weekends so locals wouldn't take them. The lady who was giving out the towels was great and always had a smile on her face :)

Bars/Bartenders: Since it was low season, we didn't have any trouble waiting for drinks at the bar. The bartenders were really friendly, my fav was RAFAEL, he was quick and never let us go thirsty! there was also another young gentlemen who served us a lot at the swim up bar (can't remember his name either) but he was awesome too!

I can't comment too much about the lobby staff as we never needed them. But check in was pretty fast, staff was friendly. Didn't have any problem there at all. The concierge guys are great, hard working and friendly as well.

Over all our stay was pretty good, Probably wouldn't go back to this resort because of the food. We did meet some awesome people that i'm sadly going to miss. (Donkey, Manny and Chispa xo)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Janett J, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Paradise Playa Dorada, responded to this review, June 15, 2013
Dear 416lady,

On behalf of Grand Paradise Playa Dorada, we sincerely appreciate your comments.

We are truly thankful for your review and for letting us know about your experience, we feel sad because we could not please your total satisfaction but we thank you for your kind remarks. We will congratulate Donkey, Manny & Chispa for their great job.

Yours sincerely

Been to Grand Paradise Playa Dorada? Share your experiences!