“Entertainment team makes this resort!! beware of the food” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Paradise Playa Dorada

You added Grand Paradise Playa Dorada to your Saves list
Grand Paradise Playa Dorada
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Complejo Playa Dorada | P.O. Box 337, Puerto Plata 332, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #8 of 42 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Toronto
“Entertainment team makes this resort!! beware of the food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

Let me start off by thanking the entertainment team - DONKEY, MANNY, CHISPA, CHERRY (and a few more, can't remember their names) without these people our trip would have been completely boring! Even though the resort was dead (we were there during low season) the entertainment team always had us involved with daily activities. These guys really work their butts off!

Room: Our room was clean, pretty up to date. A few ants in the bathroom, but nothing to complain about. We got 2 bottles of water plus 1 pop a day (near the end of the week our housekeeping attendant gave us a few more pop) disappointed there was NO beer in the fridge. If you want beer for your room, your best bet is to walk to the plaza close by and purchase some.

Beach/excursions: The beach area was a little small, but nice. Be prepared to be approached constantly by vendors and people wanting you to book tours with them. At first I thought they were part of the hotel, but they are not! my opinion if your planning to do an excursion book with your hotel rep or with Speedy (by the kids pool) he's very helpful and kind.

Food: I was really disappointed of the buffet. Not much of a selection compared to past resorts I've been to. My family got sick from the food! though I was fine (I was very careful on what I ate and limited myself) I would recommend staying away from the burgers at the "snack bar" as they're sitting in water for long periods of time (yuck) a lot of people we talked to through out our stay had also became ill...so be careful. I would also stay away from the water unless its bottled! Was not impressed with the Italian a la carte, the food was just blah for my liking but the Grill a la carte wasn't so bad (I had the pork chops and they were pretty good)

Low season weekends: During low season a lot of locals come to stay on the weekends. Didn't bother us one bit, the place became more live. We were advised to keep our beach towels close to us on the weekends so locals wouldn't take them. The lady who was giving out the towels was great and always had a smile on her face :)

Bars/Bartenders: Since it was low season, we didn't have any trouble waiting for drinks at the bar. The bartenders were really friendly, my fav was RAFAEL, he was quick and never let us go thirsty! there was also another young gentlemen who served us a lot at the swim up bar (can't remember his name either) but he was awesome too!

I can't comment too much about the lobby staff as we never needed them. But check in was pretty fast, staff was friendly. Didn't have any problem there at all. The concierge guys are great, hard working and friendly as well.

Over all our stay was pretty good, Probably wouldn't go back to this resort because of the food. We did meet some awesome people that i'm sadly going to miss. (Donkey, Manny and Chispa xo)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Janett J, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Paradise Playa Dorada, responded to this review, June 15, 2013
Dear 416lady,

On behalf of Grand Paradise Playa Dorada, we sincerely appreciate your comments.

We are truly thankful for your review and for letting us know about your experience, we feel sad because we could not please your total satisfaction but we thank you for your kind remarks. We will congratulate Donkey, Manny & Chispa for their great job.

Yours sincerely

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
Wellesley, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

My husband and I returned home on Monday after a 7 day stay at the Grand Paradise. We both felt it was a great experience/resort for the money we paid but also agreed there were some things that could have made the stay better.

We should have realized it was "off" season, which resulted in the on site Casino and 1 of the only 2 A La Cartes to be closed down. This was a little disappointing since the website said nothing about this. On a positive note the staff were great and offered to take us to the local Casino on a nightly basis... The views were amazing and we received a free upgrade to a Ocean View Suite from our Ocean View Superior Room when we let the front desk know an ant party had taken place in our bathroom sink the night before. (Literally 500+ ants) We were really happy with how quickly they resolved the issue for us, and at no additional charge.

The Food. There were good things included in the Buffet and things we didnt care for. Like any Buffet you stick with the things you have tried and like and steer clear of the things you don't. It would have been nice to have another food option other then the A La Cartes since we only were able to book twice during the trip. When we did go the Italian night wasn't too good. The couple we went with and my husband and I ended up getting sick and learned another couple did to. The Grill night was definitely better, I would suggest booking that over the Italian!

The best part of the trip was the staff at the resort. They definitely make it their main goal to ensure the guests are having a good time, and are well taken care of. Donkey and Manny were hilarious and made our trip. They got us up and dancing, were fantastic on the microphone for pumping up the guests, climbed coconut trees for us to try coconut milk, played basketball with us, ate with us... it was great and made the trip memorable. The bartenders were great as well, especially the tall guy who works the bar near the pool. We never waited for drinks, even when the locals came in on the weekend and took the place over.

The worst part of the trip was the stomach issues and the fact everyone we spoke with had them as well. We later heard the resort had issues with water contamination although the resort never mentioned that to us. Many mornings, afternoons and evenings were spent in the bathroom. For this reason the plane ride home was also pretty brutal and the first time the seat belt sign went off everyone from our resort was up in line for the bathroom pretty quickly. We found out at the airport many people who stayed at out hotel were also sick, we just hadn't seen them throughout the week to realize. We don't know if it was the food but something was definitely up. My husband still isn't feeling right and we've been home 4 days.

Throughout our stay we know of 2 couples who left the resort, one to go home and one to another hotel. I don't think this resort is 5+ stars or a "party zone" but the website never made it seem like it was so we were fine with what was there. As mentioned previously for the price we paid, it was a good deal overall. If I could change one thing it would be more bars, and to have felt better throughout the week. Definitely do a day excursion, we did the Rum Tour and Cable Car and it was great time!

Thanks again to the staff, like I said we thought you were awesome! And to Cheeks- I will not miss the views.lol...

-Ginger and Canada

Room Tip: Superior Ocean Room Suite or Garden View Suite- double the space! Get on the second floor, less nois...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Krista-M2013,

We're thankful you for yours comments regarding your stay in our property. We feel sorry that we could not fill all your expectations as you wanted. Please know that we are taking care about the remarks you made. At the same time we would like to inform you that our hotel is audited every month for quality control to prevent any infection o issues. Our water is 100% decontaminated and certified by the Ministry of Public Health and Quality Control department, based in your information, we did not received any medical report from you or any other customer.

We will congratulate Donkey & Manny for their outstanding job and performance.

We apologize if it some point we didn't fill all your expectations. We hope to welcome back in the nearest future.

Best regards.
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

I've been to the most of the hotels in that complex and decided to try this one since it has so many good reviews. Will keep it simple and to the point

Let's start with the good things

-Breakfast place has a nice ocean view
-New and super comfy beach chairs that don't hit your back and are easy to adjust
-Nice Italian a la carte restaurant

Sadly there were more things we personally found to be negative

-Deck in the room had sticky greasy stains when we checked in
-No ceiling fans in the rooms, sleeping under air conditioner makes me sick easily
-No orange juice =(
-Bathroom supplies were limited to 2 bottles of shampoo and we had to ask to have them renewed and 2 bars of soap
-The beach area is tiny and kinda hidden in the corner without umbrellas

There were about 30 people at the resort and originally we blamed it on low season until in the evening we walked to a nearby hotel where it was packed and where we moved on the second day of our stay.

To be fair, I'd say if you want a quiet peaceful vacation without much action and people around Grand Paradise is the place to stay. NOT a good choice for party animals looking for meeting new friends, bright and loud entertainment team and fun activities.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Janett J, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Paradise Playa Dorada, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Dear Lola M,

We appreciate you took some time to write a comment and at the same time we are sorry to know that we could not fulfill your expectations. We are taking note about the remark you made.

We hope you give us a second chance to visit us.

Best regards
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Indifferent and rude service. Food was airline quality.. The room hasn't been renovated in 50 years. Tried to have a friend visit me after hours. Got treated like a criminal. These people suck. End of story.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

By all standards this resort is a good choice if on a budget.
It was clean, food was what you would expect at a 3 star.
All staff was helpful.
I would just ask one thing of people travelling. If something happens that is
unavoidable by the staff and tour operator ie: a hot water pipe breaking. please do not
take it out on them. Problems are not resolved as quickly in the Dominican Republic as they are in more modern countries. But they do try. It won't kill you to have a cold shower. I realize you have paid for your vacation but things happen.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

I just got back yesterday from my trip to Puerto Plata, where we stayed @ the Grand Paradise. This was my first trip to the Dominican and it was a great one. The people you meet there are very friendly and the staff is amazing, and it's the little things they do that make your stay enjoyable.

Food: The food was good, it does get a little repetitive but there are plenty of choices for you to enjoy a nice meal. The Buffet selection is rather small compared to Cuba as well as there is only one station where they make the food in front of you, where in Cuba you usually would get 3-4 stations. They have 2 A La Carte Restaurants, the Grill & Italian. The food there was excellent along with fantastic service. Every meal was cooked well and David the waiter was spot on and one of the best workers I have met on vacation. If you are nice to them they will allow you to go to the A La Carte more than twice. If David is working make sure to order a "Special Coffee" they are fantastic.

Beach: The beach is very nice, It is not the best beach that I have seen but it is a very nice view with the mountain adding to the scenery on the left side. It is great if you like to go on a morning walk because it is quite long. The only negative and this is probably the only negative with the resort is the beach vendors. Be aware that they will come up to you everyday and try and sell you stuff. If you say no thank you they will walk away kindly. It does take some patience to deal with this all week but that being said, they are nice people trying to make a living and you can have conversations with them it just get's a little annoying when your trying to relax on the beach.

Pool: Although it is not a big pool, it was nice and it does have a swim up bar. Everyone fit pretty comfortably, if the place is packed that would probably be the only negative but there was always plenty of room.

Staff: The staff was excellent, they had a great team that helped people when they were sick from the sun or had too much to drink. The bartenders are friendly, the maids always say hello and ask you how you are doing. The people at the reception were friendly and always helped when you needed something.

Entertainment: There was always something happening by the pool, whether is was aerobics, darts, games, volleyball ect. This was thanks to Manny which is the best activities staff member I have ever met. He was awesome, and really got the place going throughout the entire day. The night time shows were ok, the Michael Jackson show was enjoyable, the singers they brought in were decent and the Karaoke night was hilarious because its right next to the bar, so you can figure out why that was so enjoyable.

Weekends: On the weekend unfortunately they do invite the locals that live in the city to come and spend the weekend there to fill up the rooms. I did not experience any problems but they do ask that you keep all belongings and towels with you because they will take them if they are left unguarded. The staff doesn't even want them there because they are rude to them, but it's only from Friday - Sunday @ noon, so it is not a huge deal.

In conclusion this resort was great, you will have a lot of fun and meet plenty of great people. The only negative will be the beach vendors but everything else was excellent. I met a few people that have been there 18+ times, so that just tells you how comfortable they are with the resort and out of every destination they always choose this one. I would definitely go back because there were so many pros that out way the cons. You will have a great time if you choose Grand Paradise, if your looking for something that is 5 stars then this is not the place for you.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

I would not recommend people to go during low season!

The buffet wasn't big! It was always the same everyday! The pool wasn't the cleanest either!

Because it was low season they would let in locals during the weekend to make more money, and that would suck because the animation team would only put their attention on them and you had to be careful with your towel because the locals would steal them.

The animation team wasn't the best! We wouldn't see them during the day,except for manny and cherry! But the bartenders were amazing!

But, when something was broken they would come right away and fix it!

I would like to personally thank cherry,manny, and the lifeguard(the tall one) for making this trip a little better. Is there a way we can reach them to thank them personally?

• Stayed May 2013

Been to Grand Paradise Playa Dorada? Share your experiences!