“Time share torture” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Paradise Playa Dorada

Save Saved
You added Grand Paradise Playa Dorada to your Saves list
Grand Paradise Playa Dorada
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Complejo Playa Dorada | P.O. Box 337, Puerto Plata 332, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #12 of 42 hotels in Puerto Plata
Toronto, Canada
“Time share torture”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We spent the entire week last year trying to avoid time-share salespeople. On the beach, on our way lunch/dinner, by the pool, everywhere, we were followed, harrassed by time share salespeople, presumably with the hotel. We politely we weren't interested day after day after day. We pretended we spoke another language, ignored them etc. Nothing worked. I like to go on a holiday where I can do what I want to do and not simply be someone to sell something to. Would never return.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Janett J, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Paradise Playa Dorada, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Dear Blink 89,

On behalf of Grand Paradise Playa Dorada, we sincerely appreciate your comments which are for us a real feedback.

We feel sorry about the points that you mention you went through with your vacations, you can be sure that we already transferred the message to all the departments involved. Our main priority is to feel our guests welcome and become their allies during their treasured vacations.

We can guarantee you that the negative issues that you experienced do not represent the culture and tradition of service in our resort.

Best regards

1,882 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
Waterford, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

We went to Grand Paradise from Feb 15 to Feb 22.

Before going on the trip I saw a lot of negative reviews and I was really worried about the quality of the trip. Needless to say the resort was great and I have no complaints at all!

Rooms: We got room 1640 which is on the fourth floor. I went on this vacation with my friend. We each got our own room, a kitchenette. The beds were comfortable, I had great sleep every night. Our room was located in building 14 so it was facing the ocean. When going to bed we could hear the waves. The maids did a great job cleaning the rooms, always fresh new towels and drinks were always restocked. My friend and I left little gifts and tips. You get one room key per room, and you need it to activate air conditioning. Don't be concerned about the room getting too hot because the AC works extremely well and cools down the rooms in no time.

Food: A lot of the reviews said that food was bad, that is very untrue. I am a rather picky eater and I was never hungry! There was always food which was delicious.
For breakfast there is an omelette bar every day, it is delicious! One can always find fresh fruit, scrambled eggs, sausages, potatoes, cereals and much more. What other breakfast food do you need! There are also different kinds of juices, milks and hot drinks.
For lunch there was variety as well. Salads, hot and cold meat, potatoes, rice, vegetables and fruit. There were also a lot of desserts, different stuff every day.
For dinner there was the most variety, with salads that are different from lunch and hot food as well. I strongly advise you to check out the grill every night which is on the right side as soon as you walk in. Every night they have a special there and I was always happy with it. It ranges from steak, chicken, kebabs, stir fry, tacos and many more. All of which were delicious. There is also all kinds of pasta available for those who like it.
Also make reservations at the other two restaurants, we liked Eden better because of the kind of food offered there. During the day at the Eden restaurant there is a snack bar, it is also open starting at midnight.
Sometimes there is a little line up in front of the buffet, but the wait was never longer than 5 minutes. They were very quick to seat people so long waits were never an issue and we went during reading week so it was busy!
*Side note: none of us got sick from the food and we ate a variety of everything.

Service: The service was so friendly! All of the workers starting with gardeners, cleaning ladies and all of waiters and waitresses always smiled and said hello. While eating the waiters are very quick to fill up drinks and provide drinks from the bar as well.
Entertainment staff was amazing! Especially Happy Man, Manny and Donkey. The shows which they put on were hilarious and they always recruited people from the crowd which was entertaining. They always walked up and talked to everyone around the resort and were extremely friendly. Keep up the great work!

Overall it was a great experience, I wish I never listened to the negative reviews because the trip was very good. Would definitely go back again!

Room Tip: We were in room 1640, it was great as are all rooms on the 4th floor because they are a lot bigger t...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Kasi Z,

On behalf of Grand Paradise Playa Dorada, we sincerely appreciate your comments.

We are glad that you enjoyed your stay at our Hotel. It is obvious that you have enjoyed your stay ,as much as we did, taking care of you. We are indeed delighted . Thank you for your wonderful comments and for spending your holidays with us. .

We all look forward to welcome you back in the nearest future.

We are very pleased to know that our employees were one of the reasons that you enjoyed your vacation. We will congratulate Happy Man, Manny & Donkey for their hard work and performance.

Warm regards from all of us.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

My wife and I visit this resort every February and it is truly our second home. This year we visited for 2 weeks from February 4- 18th. After we arrived, the assistant manager, Ms. DeLaCruz came to our room to personally welcome us back! The entire staff is fantastic from our check in to our maid service, the food, the excursions, the entertainment, and of course the beautiful, beautiful, beautiful beach. I give this resort an A+.

The entertainment was just fabulous. They had a bonfire on Saturday night with guest entertainers and special appearances from entertainers from their celebration of Carnival. Every night there were different guest entertainers. The staff entertainers were fantastic.They were very accommodating and kept you involved with their high energy level.The Michael Jackson show was superb. The magic act kept us spell bound. The dancers were great. Our favorite staff entertainers were LaBaby and Ada. Bon Bon @ the towel hut always had a smile on her face.

Our favorite servers were Shayla, Pablo, Eduardo,and Mario. The food in the buffet was very good. When the buffet was closed, the snack buffet was excellent, especially the chicken wings and french fries. The Valentine Romance Dinner on the beach with lobster and champagne was a romantic, memorable event for my wife and I.

A short walk up the beach to the Orange Market is run by many vendors. Our favorite was Winston who had great business savvy and many things to buy. He volunteered to pick us up with his family and take us to Carnival. We sat in the VIP stand and the celebration was awesome. Next to the Orange Market is a great restaurant called Hispanolia, owned by Franscois. We had lobster and champagne!

As we sat on the beach, many vendors came by to show us their crafts. We bought bracelets, necklaces, and rings and was very happy to do so. This is a very poor country. We tipped as often as we could to show our appreciation for the great services we received. We had great massages on the beach from Teresa.

This resort is very well managed by Mr. Cid and Ms DeLaCruz. We can't wait to return in February to our second home.

Jerome and Connie Brocks from Washington, DC USA

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Janett J, Manager at Grand Paradise Playa Dorada, responded to this review, February 23, 2013
Dear Jerome & Connie,

We are very proud to read your thoughtful comments about your stays at our resort. On behalf of Grand Paradise Playa Dorada, we sincerely appreciate it.

It is rewarding to learn that we have set a standard of quality and service for you and your wife, that we have been able to maintain through the years, and that is the reason why you return to GPD year after year.

Be sure that your kind comments will be shared to all the mentioned members of our staff. We want to extend our gratitude for your loyalty and for posting review. Rest assure that we will be pleased to welcome you one more time to this, your home.

Best regards from all of us,
London, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

This resort was exactly what we thought it would be. We paid a fairly inexpensive rate, and got what we paid for. Not saying this is a bad resort at all! Just you get what you pay for.

Rooms were very clean and always restocked everyday with 1 bottle of pop (either Sprite or Coke, they choose) and a large bottle of water - No alcohol. Also, we didnt purchase a safe ket, but felt very comfortable leaving our belongings in the room while we were at the pool. We had a room in the 19 block that we could see the pool from, and this is also where the nightly shows were done - VERY NOISY, if you have children, or need to have naps without noise don't stay in the 19 block!!!

Food - Ok, I am a really picky eater... I did find things to eat, but I always stuck with the same things, rice, potatoes, veggies ect. By the third day the food gets a little boring. Do not go to the Al-Cartes (?spelling) they are horrible, we left in the middle of dinner and went to the buffet. The one good thing was they had a fresh omlette bar every morning, which was fabulous!!!

Entertainment - There is ALWAYS something going on, sometimes I felt like I was attending a day camp! - Manny was super nice and always put a smile on everyones face, Hi Manny!!!! There is water arobics twice a day at the pool, and the music changes to very loud and very energentic, it was a little much at time since I was wanting to take my afternoon siesta :)

Overall great relaxing vacation, and we met amazing new people!!! We would go back again if the price was right!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Janett J, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Paradise Playa Dorada, responded to this review, February 23, 2013
Dear Lisa D.

It is very gratifying to know that you have had an amazing vacation at our hotel. On behalf of Grand Paradise Playa Dorada, we truly appreciate your comments.

Be sure that we will take note about your remark regarding the variation of the food.

We feel proud that our employees made your vacations marvelous. We will congratulate Manny, for his great job.

Thank you for sharing your opinion at this web site. We hope to see you soon

Best regards form all of us,
West Winfield, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

My wife treated me to the Grand Paradise for my 50th B'day present from 2/11-2/18/13, and we had a fantastic time. By far, they had the best beach we've ever been to. During the day, we spent our time enjoying the warm sun and ocean, with frequent trips to the pool to enjoy the activities or games. In the evening, we enjoyed Michaelangelo's for our dinner, where the food was outstanding. Other days we had the buffet, where they had a very good variety. Everynight the entertainment crew would put on a different show, all of which were hilarious. Manny was the funniest, but Donkey and Happy Man were very good also. The snorkeling was my favorite! Reefs right off of the beach, with so many beautiful fish! We've paid for snorkeling on many vacations, and none could compare with the Grand Paradise, and best of all, it was free!!! This was definately a memorable trip, and my wife and I wouldn't hesitate to return for another vacation. All the staff was very courteous, from the house keeping to the security. Antonio in security was especially friendly! Thank you everyone at the Grand Paradise for making our vacation a great one!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Janett J, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Paradise Playa Dorada, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Dear Dem104

It is truly a pleasure for us to learn that you enjoyed your vacations at our hotel. On behalf of Grand Paradise Playa Dorada, we sincerely appreciate.

We are thankful for your kind comments regarding your stay in our property. It is pleasant to know that we were able to provide you with a great stay.

Thank you for writing your experience and for choosing our resort for celebrating your birthday. Please be sure that we will congratulate Manny, Donkey & Happy Mann for their hardworking.

We look forward your next visit in a near future.

Best regards from all of us,
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

stayed at the grand paradise playa dorada january 14 to the 21st. It was a good time. The food was average, the weather was nice. The beach was nice too. The animation was ok. The only one i really think did a great job was Manny. The rest were either rude or ignored you unless you spoke spanish. Super Joe was good too. The shows were good and it was quite loud till pretty late. Would i go back there no i would not. I would try another hotel like the riu merengue which i have gone quite a few times. I have to say the view from the restaurant is marvelous but thats all it has. I think if they change some of the staff and food it would be a better vacation.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Frankford, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

This January we took our two boys (7 & 3)on our first all inclusive family vacation. WE HAD A BLAST!!!
The food was good, the entertainment was good, the resort was wonderful and the staff was perfect. Manny one of the entertainment co-ordinators was very nice and was always trying to get the kids involved.
The buffet restaurant and the snack bar were great, the kids always found something they liked. Our dinner server that we had every night was Sheila (chella) and my youngest som took quite a shining to her....he still askes when are we going back to see Sheila. The manager Alcides was very nice and always checking on us. If I could remember everyones name I woud give them all recongnition here as they were all great. but Sheila was our Favorite. We met some great people who were also from Canada and have kept in touch with them. My husband says when we look for another vacation he would consider this one for sure!!
Another great thing was there is a kids pool but there is also a childrens section connected to the adult pool so you do not feel secluded!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Been to Grand Paradise Playa Dorada? Share your experiences!