“Very Nice!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Paradise Playa Dorada

Save Saved
You added Grand Paradise Playa Dorada to your Saves list
Grand Paradise Playa Dorada
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Complejo Playa Dorada | P.O. Box 337, Puerto Plata 332, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #8 of 41 Hotels in Puerto Plata
London, Canada
“Very Nice!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

This resort was exactly what we thought it would be. We paid a fairly inexpensive rate, and got what we paid for. Not saying this is a bad resort at all! Just you get what you pay for.

Rooms were very clean and always restocked everyday with 1 bottle of pop (either Sprite or Coke, they choose) and a large bottle of water - No alcohol. Also, we didnt purchase a safe ket, but felt very comfortable leaving our belongings in the room while we were at the pool. We had a room in the 19 block that we could see the pool from, and this is also where the nightly shows were done - VERY NOISY, if you have children, or need to have naps without noise don't stay in the 19 block!!!

Food - Ok, I am a really picky eater... I did find things to eat, but I always stuck with the same things, rice, potatoes, veggies ect. By the third day the food gets a little boring. Do not go to the Al-Cartes (?spelling) they are horrible, we left in the middle of dinner and went to the buffet. The one good thing was they had a fresh omlette bar every morning, which was fabulous!!!

Entertainment - There is ALWAYS something going on, sometimes I felt like I was attending a day camp! - Manny was super nice and always put a smile on everyones face, Hi Manny!!!! There is water arobics twice a day at the pool, and the music changes to very loud and very energentic, it was a little much at time since I was wanting to take my afternoon siesta :)

Overall great relaxing vacation, and we met amazing new people!!! We would go back again if the price was right!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Janett J, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Paradise Playa Dorada, responded to this review, February 23, 2013
Dear Lisa D.

It is very gratifying to know that you have had an amazing vacation at our hotel. On behalf of Grand Paradise Playa Dorada, we truly appreciate your comments.

Be sure that we will take note about your remark regarding the variation of the food.

We feel proud that our employees made your vacations marvelous. We will congratulate Manny, for his great job.

Thank you for sharing your opinion at this web site. We hope to see you soon

Best regards form all of us,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
West Winfield, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

My wife treated me to the Grand Paradise for my 50th B'day present from 2/11-2/18/13, and we had a fantastic time. By far, they had the best beach we've ever been to. During the day, we spent our time enjoying the warm sun and ocean, with frequent trips to the pool to enjoy the activities or games. In the evening, we enjoyed Michaelangelo's for our dinner, where the food was outstanding. Other days we had the buffet, where they had a very good variety. Everynight the entertainment crew would put on a different show, all of which were hilarious. Manny was the funniest, but Donkey and Happy Man were very good also. The snorkeling was my favorite! Reefs right off of the beach, with so many beautiful fish! We've paid for snorkeling on many vacations, and none could compare with the Grand Paradise, and best of all, it was free!!! This was definately a memorable trip, and my wife and I wouldn't hesitate to return for another vacation. All the staff was very courteous, from the house keeping to the security. Antonio in security was especially friendly! Thank you everyone at the Grand Paradise for making our vacation a great one!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Janett J, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Paradise Playa Dorada, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Dear Dem104

It is truly a pleasure for us to learn that you enjoyed your vacations at our hotel. On behalf of Grand Paradise Playa Dorada, we sincerely appreciate.

We are thankful for your kind comments regarding your stay in our property. It is pleasant to know that we were able to provide you with a great stay.

Thank you for writing your experience and for choosing our resort for celebrating your birthday. Please be sure that we will congratulate Manny, Donkey & Happy Mann for their hardworking.

We look forward your next visit in a near future.

Best regards from all of us,
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

stayed at the grand paradise playa dorada january 14 to the 21st. It was a good time. The food was average, the weather was nice. The beach was nice too. The animation was ok. The only one i really think did a great job was Manny. The rest were either rude or ignored you unless you spoke spanish. Super Joe was good too. The shows were good and it was quite loud till pretty late. Would i go back there no i would not. I would try another hotel like the riu merengue which i have gone quite a few times. I have to say the view from the restaurant is marvelous but thats all it has. I think if they change some of the staff and food it would be a better vacation.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Frankford, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

This January we took our two boys (7 & 3)on our first all inclusive family vacation. WE HAD A BLAST!!!
The food was good, the entertainment was good, the resort was wonderful and the staff was perfect. Manny one of the entertainment co-ordinators was very nice and was always trying to get the kids involved.
The buffet restaurant and the snack bar were great, the kids always found something they liked. Our dinner server that we had every night was Sheila (chella) and my youngest som took quite a shining to her....he still askes when are we going back to see Sheila. The manager Alcides was very nice and always checking on us. If I could remember everyones name I woud give them all recongnition here as they were all great. but Sheila was our Favorite. We met some great people who were also from Canada and have kept in touch with them. My husband says when we look for another vacation he would consider this one for sure!!
Another great thing was there is a kids pool but there is also a childrens section connected to the adult pool so you do not feel secluded!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

We are having a marvellous time here. Everyone here is extremely friendly and helpful. I don't understand the adverse comments made, I think if you treat these very hard working people decently you will be reciprocated. This is our 4th time here at this hotel and would return again. The entertainment crew is marvellous, especially Happy Boy, who we have gotten to know quite well and enjoy his company.
Sylvia S

Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Laval, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

this is a little hotel, but the view at meal time is wow....My review is for the great help my hubby and I got.I took sick on the 5th day...7 am: doctor does not come to the room..so they decided to wheelchair me to the lobby and then a cab to the clinique...wow what service....Julio took charge...translating...advising and even came back to get us at the clinique after receiving very good care..Intravinus,antibiotic..and within 30 mins.wow thank you all.... lise trip feb.1 to 8 .2013

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

My boyfriend and I went to this resort from Feb 2-9. I had mixed feelings after reading the reviews, but really, what the hell is the problem with people? Yes, it's not a 5 star, and yes, you don't get fancy little towels on your bed, but this place was just awesome for what we wanted. The beds were incredibly comfortable, rooms were spotless, lots of hot water, bottled water provided everyday, food was good. If you want luxury, then you need to go somewhere else!! The thing that stood out the most about this resort was the people working there!! I didn't find the front reception people overly warm, but the rest by far were fabulous people. Dalbin the Bell Boy was such a great help, Fausto - the night manager - awesome guy!! He even met us on his day off at an orphanage to hand out toys!! Bon Bon was the gal at the Pool area handing out towels - always giving out free hugs and a huge smile!! Rafael (the supervisor at the Buffet in the mornings) bent over backwards for you, so did Luis and Jesus. Ruth, the hostess and Denisse were great gals to talk to at the buffet. The Buffet is right at the beach - beautiful spot to eat everyday! There was a wide variety of foods and they had a different theme every night. The Mexican night was my favourite. I am an INCREDIBLY picky eater, and there was always something there for me to eat without having to live off of french fries. My guy was sick, however that was from too much sun/heat. Was our second last day and he over did it. But there were no issues with food, drinks, or otherwise!! We took in the Ocean World excursion, swam with the dolphins and sea lions - excellent excursion. Also did the "Boogie Bikes" which are really dune buggy's and boy, did we get plastered in mud!! But it was fun!! BEWARE - DO NOT BOOK EXCURSIONS THRU THE SHOP AT THE PLAYA DORADA PLAZA. We booked a morning in Sousa for snorkelling, being promised that the 70 dollars (US) for the two of us included all kinds of things, only to arrive and find out we had to fork out another 50 dollars US for a boat to take us out and you couldn't sit down on the beach chairs without paying for those too. We were picked up in this guy's private vehicle which had no exhaust, so the fumes were terrible. It was an AWFUL excursion - would have been so much better if we had have booked thru the resort!! So when your tour guide warns you about booking outside the resort - do yourself a favour and LISTEN TO THEM!!
This resort is an excellent value for the money. This was my third time to this complex, having stayed years ago at the Gran Ventana and the Flamenco (now Bavaro). This resort is right at the point, so you have the longest amount of sun and lots of room on the beach. Yes the vendors are constantly around, but just a firm no thank you and they move on. They are trying to make a living too. The vendors at the Orange Market can be pricey. This is a market just down the beach from the resort. The nightlife isn't all that exciting, so if your into the shows, you won't find over the top shows here. But there is always something going on! By far, I can say I was very happy here and would go back!

Room Tip: We booked a Superior Garden View room, and were given the third level of Building One with a great v...