“Return Traveller who is returning again!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Paradise Playa Dorada

Save Saved
You added Grand Paradise Playa Dorada to your Saves list
Grand Paradise Playa Dorada
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Complejo Playa Dorada | P.O. Box 337, Puerto Plata 332, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #8 of 41 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Johnstown, Canada
“Return Traveller who is returning again!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

I like to come to this site and read what people are saying and I am shocked by some of the negative reviews that I see. We have been to Puerto Plata several times to different hotels but since our first visit to this hotel we keep coming back here.
We have had no problem with the food and always found that there was a good variety of food and all our meals were enjoyable. We have ate at all the restaurants and always a good expierience. The staff I will say are very friendly some of them even remember you from being there before, and I have never been snubbed by any of the workers. Service can sometimes be slow but if you can walk there is no reason you cannot go get your own coffee or tea why should you expect to be waited on hand and foot. You can go get your own food why not your beverage. Also if you give the waiters a little tip now and then they are even more willing to help you.
Beach is the best along the whole strip.
Any problems with our room were promptly repaired within hours of reporting the problem.
Staff at the front desk was very courteous and helpful I also believe if you are nice to the people and treat them with respect they will treat you the same way. Some of the rudest people I have met while on vacation have been some of the people who are vacationing. Some are very pushy and direspectable to the peolpe like us who are there to have a good time also,and I have seen them be rude to the workers. People who handle plates and food then put it back then if they get sick blame it on the hotel. That being said we have also met a lot of very nice people, who are courteous, friendly and people who I would like to see again. Do not put down the workers who for the most part are trying to deal with demanding guests, yes they are getting paid but show them some kindness and it will be returned. Also you tip waiters or waitresses at home why not tip these people also.
We stayed in a suite the last time and are doing the same this time and our room was very nice and the maids keep it very clean. Would like to try an ocean front room but I think most of them are occupied by people who either own the unit or are on time sharing.
We are going back on Feb 11th for 2 weeks and we are looking forward to an enjoyable 2 weeks.
Do not be afraid to go to this resort it is clean, good food, friendly people and good service at a great value. Location is also great short walk 5 min or less puts you at shops, bars, restaurants, casinos or other nightlife. We have also found it to be a very safe area.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Janett J, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Paradise Playa Dorada, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Dear Evangeline F,

We are very proud to read your thoughtful comments about your stay at our resort. It is rewarding to learn that we have set a standard of quality and service for you and your family that we have been able to maintain through the years and that is the reason why you return to Grand Paradise Playa Dorada year after year.

We want to extend our gratitude for your loyalty and for posting review. Rest assure that we will be pleased to welcome you one more time to your second home.

Warm regards from all of us,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (282)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

After staying at another hotel in the Dominican Republic for one week that was terrible (avoid Bahia principe San Juan!) we booked in to stay at the grand paradise for our last week.
It was amazing. It had a beautiful beach with white sand and blue water. One large swimming pool with swim up bar an one children's pool which was great for my two young sons who couldn't swim. Furthermore a large jacuzzi spa.
On arrival the staff were helpful and friendly Manny went out of his way to make sure we knew all about the entertainment and made us feel really welcome.
In addition to this it was my sons birthday, Friesta and Bon Bon went all out and arranged a birthday party and provided a free cake, popcorn and drinks. They are truly a credit to the grand paradise. They made our holiday, seeing friendly faces that were always there to help out. They also provided a children's club for 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours in the afternoon which the children really enjoyed.
The rooms were clean. The buffet style food was good with lots of choice.
Unfortunately due to my sons falling asleep early we didn't make the entertainment but from what others told us it was amazing. With a weekly bonfire and fireworks held on the beach.
The beach sellers were also friendly, there was no pressure to buy anything, just say no and they leave you alone.
All in all it was a brilliant holiday that we should have experienced in our first hotel.
There are local shops and bars 5 minuets away and a Pizza Hut too!
Ocean world is well worth a visit, there you can swim with dolphins. It is more like a zoo with birds etc. and even has a white tiger!
Brilliant resort we will return soon!

• Stayed December 2012
Dear Vickers0

We are thankful for your sharing your comments regarding your stay in our property. On behalf of Grand Paradise Playa Dorada, we sincerely appreciate it.

It is pleasant to know that you had a delightful stay and that your enjoyed with our friendly staff. Please be sure that we will congratulate Manny, Fresita & Bombon for their excellent performance and hard work.

We look forward your next vacations at Grand Paradise Playa Dorada.

Best regards
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

Was meaning to write this review As I came back; however, the holiday season requires a great dealing of time. :) Nonetheless, here we go.

Traveled with my wife on the 15th of December until the 22nd. Now I am an avid TRIPADVISOR reader. I am a person who considers the opinions of others as a guideline, but not as a ultimate decision maker. A great deal of responses regarding this hotel were negative (bad food, terrible service, etc.). Yet, I was completely shocked by how fabricated they were. The thing is people, if you want luxury - GO PAY FOR IT! This hotel is beautiful -- simple and pleasant with gorgeous rooms, and spectacular cuisine. Many people expect their own chauffeur or butler (NOT GONNA HAPPEN). The workers are EXTREMELY respectful and on point (sometimes I would even get to the middle of my drink without having a waiter refill me all the way to the TOP - dos cerveza por favor LOL).

ROOMS -
We stayed in the 18 block (if you go as a group you may just be split -- alot of groups were not together). Beautiful spacious beds, nice TV, a decent amount of English channels (whos watching TV anyway when your on vacay). Not a large room we had because it was just for two and it was just fine. Slept VERY VERY VERY well.

RESORT -
2 Bars - latest they are open is until 1am (not the best situation if you are looking for wild times) but still great for strong drinks. Tequila sunrise, Cuba Libre, or just straight shots will get you faded. BELIEVE ME!! LOL

SERVICE -
Incredible! I was getting treated as if I was someone they were awaiting arrival for. I can attest to all of the groups we met as well saying the same thing. Guerys is incredible and very down to Earth. Hearing a lot of the servers attempt English is incredible and fun. The interaction was absolutely amazing. always smiling and appreciating your company. Tips were well deserved and earned. (They do better jobs than North American servers simply because they arent giving the spoiled lives we have. They come from humble upbringings and work hard -- which I appreciated and loved to see as I am a reflection of them.)

FOOD-
By far this is every travelers most important category. Bad food = Bad trip. Not HERE!! The buffet (Hibiscus) the most excellent food ever. A new rice platter every day (from curry rice with lamb, pineapple rice with chicken, etc.) SWEET BBQ ribs, great chicken platters. Pasta every night if you needed, and the greatest soup combos. Now the A la carte we only had one night (Edens). Its on the beach and we were dazzled. PLEASE PEOPLE GO AND GET YOU TWO HELPINGS OF THE FISH FILET. the greatest texture and taste. ***One negative was if you missed breakfast you would have to wait until 12pm to get the 12-4pm snack bar (they also had great finger foods and burgers, hot dogs, nachos, wings.)

ENTERTAINMENT-
Well I personally wasn't a fan because I am usually eating dinner while its going on LOL. But i heard it was good. Nice music, disco is good. I mean personally if it was for me and the boys I wouldnt go because We need a little more wildness; however, for me and my lady we were satisfied. BON BON and Freshta were exceptional, great people always smiling!!!

BEACH -
Beautiful sand, great water. Always WAVY having me washed up on shore. For all my Canadian that are poutine lovers. Walk to the left of the beach until you reach the Orange Market - LOBSTER POUTINE served for 4US 350RD as well as an assortment of other dishes. Quebec guy is their for years with his cuisine. Divine food i kid you not.

The only MAJOR negative for me was we had a late flight 10pm at night. Check out is 1pm and is you requested to stay longer it was 30 -50 US. That needs to be fixed. If there is vacancy, you will need to accommodate your guests. That is my only concern fellow TripAdvisor members. If you leave late you will need to leave you baggage at the front and be on the resort with no room. FIX IT because it is a great place.

Great trip, great people. Go drink, dine, dance, swim and enjoy!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Janett J, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Paradise Playa Dorada, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Dear Bigga B,

We are glad that you enjoyed your stay at our Hotel. Thank you for your wonderful comments and for spending your holidays with us. It is obvious that you have enjoyed your stay as much as we did taking care of you. We are indeed delighted.

We all look forward to welcome you back in the nearest future.

We are very pleased to know that our employees were one of the reasons that you enjoyed your vacation. We will congratulate Bombon & Fresita for their hard work and performance.

Thank you so much for choosing our hotel as your second home.

Warm regards from all of us.
Aurora, Ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

I'm really disappointed with this hotel that we went to. Bought my parents this trip for their 50th but mom was sick and dad came alone with me.... Both my dad and I and many, many people got food poisoning for about a day and 1/2 that it wasn't fun. I've been travelling every year to 4*'s or more and never got this sick. And it sure wasn't the alcohol as I barely drink.
Also there is so much I could say, the vendors on the beach were beyond annoying and they worked for the hotel, and the time share people same thing, they just didn't give it a rest by the pool, you could never ever catch a break or have some piece and quiet that the guests were constantly telling them off..... they didn't seem to understand that NO, meant NO..
When it came to checking in, that was a joke on its own, they were beyound slow and I asked them why they put me on the ground floor and they said that you had stated I was a senior? (really i'm 38 do I look it???) The only way I knew it was ground as the bellboy had told me where my room was, then I immediately budded back in line to say that I'm a single Female traveller and not staying on a ground floor, But after some hesitation and dirty looks from the Female manager, they changed my room which was a good thing as none of the patio doors locked at all which wasn't fun at night wondering if someone would come into my room. The manager was a miserable woman and seems very annoyed etc from the second we got there. LIKE SMILE, it won't hurt you....

CHECK-OUT
The week of check out I was able to check out early since I had my dads room to hold the luggage but , are you ready. I gave them my keys etc and they said I didn't owe anything for charges which I already knew as I never called to Canada or anything. When my dad went to check out the week after (as he stayed for 2 weeks) they had the nerve to ask if he knew someone with the same last name and my dad played it smart, and said why, there are many people with same last names and then they're like well you must be related and she OWES us $ for calling rooms in the hotel etc. Seriously, since when does it cost calling ROOM to ROOM? Never? They were trying to scam my dad for $ which is a joke and good thing he was smart enough to say, you guys are crooks, it never costs a person to call each others room in a hotel ever... and if she owed you $ then you needed to ask her when she checked out as it's no ones responsibility to pay for another persons bill and if she owed you $ then why would you let her check out without collecting it????.
I never called anyone but my dads room a few times and they almost wanted $10US for this... like give me a break. And if I owed them $ they wouldn't have given me my check-out slip to get on the bus now would they, and my dad has no reason to lie about this. He was so angry and I'm quite disappointed to, never again will I be traveling back to Pt.Plata again and he had issues at a different hotel too in Sept.. so it's like a pattern there... i have been to Pt.Cana many many times and never in my life went thru all the points above. I hope this HOTEL never gets business again...

FOOD -Boy that was a joke !!! I'm not picky as I've stayed at 2 * in Cuba and it was edable....but, . SAME food constantly.. they served Chicken almost daily at the grill, if it wasn't the whole chicken, it was chicken breast... like how much chicken can a person eat.. and the smallest buffet choices I've ever seen esp, for a 4* which was far from it!!! AND good luck getting a waiter half of the time, they were slow and so understaffed that if you could get your own drink it would have been faster.....esp. for breakfast when you wanted a coffee...

HOTEL ROOM-The hotel room was also a joke too..yes it was clean but you could never shut the darn a/c off.. the only way you could was to pull the key out, but then you couldnt' even watch tv or have lights in the room which was a joke esp. on the day i was sooooooooooo sick and the last thing i wanted was the air on at all as i had the shakes too... and you couldn't lock the patio door....

BEACH-if you want piece and quiet... forget going there as I mentioned above the vendors are like paranas... and so annoying, they don't take NO for an answer!!! And there are no PALAPA's... so if you want shade at all.. GOOD luck to you !!! Never have I been to a hotel where there are no palapas ever!!! And its soooooooooooo dirty, esp. if you go to the left side after the wooden fence.. it constantly had like a blackish thick tar substance washing up... and was soooooo dead and deserted, alot of hotels closing down etc... so it makes me wonder why?

Anyways, Noli Tours Reps need to know this so they can look into this so that future travellers don't get taken advantage of like this. Esp. inexperienced ones..... AND SENIORS like my dad...

WOULD NOT RECOMMEND this hotel at all to anyone...

Room Tip: Do not get a room closest to the pool bar especially if you want to rest. Every night the live musi...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Dear Valentina 416,

We are thankful for your sharing your experience regarding your stay in our property. On behalf of Grand Paradise Playa Dorada, we sincerely appreciate your comments which are for us a real feedback.

We regret that you and families did not find your stay at our resort satisfactory, we are committed to providing the utmost in customer service and we appreciate when our clients take the time out their busy schedules to make us aware of their bad and good experience of their holidays.

On the other hand, we must say that your comment about our general services of our resort really surprises, as you can read at the review on this web site, it is not usual that we received this kind of remarks, but the contrary, we usually receive positive feedback regarding this topic, being a highlight in the trip of the majority of the reviewers. Furthermore, please allow us to inform that our resort is monthly audited in all issues related to internal (staff members) and external (guests) hygiene and sanitary conditions. Therefore the corresponding procedures related to this topic are meticulously carried out in all the areas of our resort and we did receive any medical report from you or one of your partners. Regarding the phone calls from your father’s room, we looked at our historic and effectively your father had made several local and internationally phone calls that were paid for him at his check-out time. We will take prompt action about the issues that you reported with the food air conditioner and seller on the beach.

We have sent your comments to the different departmental Managers.

Once again we apologize any unfortunately situation.

Kind regards
Frankfurt, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Since it was my first time in the Dominican Republic, I didn't really know what to expect. Arriving at the hotel, I was overwhelmed: a huge complex directly located at the beach, nice little bars with Dominican music, three different types of restaurants and all staff members had a warm and friendly smile on their faces.
The rooms are clean, spacious, they have a nice style, are well decorated and I felt like being at home from the first moment on.
The restaurants provide various kinds of food (fish, chicken, pasta, delicious sauces), different types of salads and desserts. Every week there are different theme nights with corrrespondent buffets.
For all of you who like action, the Playa Dorada is a good starting point for various excursions (don't book the trips with your tour guide, but with the sellers at the beach! I booked there twice and was not disappointed).
Finally, the most important reason for me to come back to the Dominican Republic and Grand Paradise Playa Dorada are the people who live there. Thanks to the whole team of entertainers, especially to Fresita (a very honest and happy person - I really enjoyed my time with her!), Bon Bon (has always a warm smile on her face), Super Joe (delighted my stay and really knows how to entertain people) and of course to Many and La Chispa. It is a real pleasure to know all of you and I am proud of having spent my holidays together with you. Whenever one has a problem, those guys are willing to help you and make your stay at Grand Paradise an unforgettable time.
Thanks for everything! I hope to come back as soon as possible!
To those people who are searching for a hotel at Playa Dorada: Choose the Grand Paradise, it is really worth it!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Janett J, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Paradise Playa Dorada, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
Dear Cindy L,

It is with reward that we read that your vacations at our resort were awesome. On behalf of Grand Paradise Playa Dorada, we sincerely appreciate it.

We are more than happy know that your enjoyed your stay with the variety in our offer. We are grateful for taking your time to post your review and for your recommendations. We hope that you will return to our resort in a near future.

Our Customer satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to continuously improve our quality.
Thanks so much for recognize the hard work from our employees, please be sure that we will congratulate the staff from animation, Fresita, Bombon, Super Joe & Chispa for their excellent Performance.

Warm regards from all of us,
Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

Stayed at this resort the 1st week of December with my girlfreind. This was my third time to the Playa Dorada complex and I got an excellent deal for one week. This resort is a great deal for the price and has a little more action for younger peropl (25 to 35). There's an upper level game room with pool tables and I spent quite a bit of time playing and meeting people there. Staff was great and friendly especially the animation staff. My girl freind loved Fresita who was always smiling and laughing. The buffet had quite a few choices and for sevn days you shouldn't get bored. The beach is really nice and you can wal for an hour at lease either way, soft sand and most parts do not have much waves. If I can get the same deal I would definetly come back.

Room Tip: Try to get an upper level room if available
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Janett J, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Paradise Playa Dorada, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Dear Torontoboy10,

On behalf of Grand Paradise Playa Dorada, we sincerely appreciate your comments. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay at our Hotel.

Thank you for your wonderful comments and for spending your holidays with us. We all look forward to welcome you back in the nearest future.

It is really a pleasure to know that our employees were one of the reasons that you enjoyed your vacation. We will congratulate Fresita for her hard work and performance.

Thank you so much for choosing our hotel.

Warm regards from all of us.
Stirling, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

The hotel was tidy, freshly painted, but older. The staff were incredible, friendly and helpful. Amazing beach, but usually more vendors than tourists. The food was plentiful, but routine. The a la carte Italian restaurant was less than ok. We were made to feel very unwelcome, and not offered any dessert, and had to ask for drinks. The waiter was rude and argumentative (?)..very strange. We were there with another couple and a friend. As it was advertised as a 4 + star, we were expecting a little better than wine made with a powder!

Room Tip: block 14 has the best views of the ocean, but only on the top floor
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Christine M,

We want to express our gratitude for choosing our resort for your vacation. On behalf of Grand Paradise Playa Dorada, we sincerely appreciate it .

On the other hand, we regret to read about your comments of the personal of Michelangelo Restaurant, it is really surprises, as you can read at the review on this web site, it is not usual that we received this kind of remarks, but the contrary, we usually receive positive feedback regarding this topic, being a highlight in the trip of the majority of the reviewers. We are conducting an investigation with all personnel involved,to avoid future complaints.

We regret once again your situation as hope that you give us another chance to give you the service you deserve during your holidays.

Best regards

Been to Grand Paradise Playa Dorada? Share your experiences!