“great food,great animation,clean hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Paradise Playa Dorada

Save Saved
You added Grand Paradise Playa Dorada to your Saves list
Grand Paradise Playa Dorada
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Complejo Playa Dorada | P.O. Box 337, Puerto Plata 332, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #12 of 43 hotels in Puerto Plata
Montreal, Canada
“great food,great animation,clean hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

we travel quit a lot and know that on most packages you buy...something is likely not to be as you expected.well,this hotel is a first...great site ,clean,great food,great spot on the beach,great animation...Fresita and Manny we re great in entertaining us.You can get to the city by taxi for about $20.00 us round trip.And could almost walk to the city by the beach if you re willing to go on a 1.5 hr walk.As for the city,well,its safe and suprisingly clean compared to most spanish cities.Would definitely go back at this hotel if it was not that the planet is so full of new places to visit.Rated 4 out of 5 just because nobody ever gets 100%,not even me!jerry and Helena.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Janett J, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Paradise Playa Dorada, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Dear Jerryboy66,

On behalf of Grand Paradise Playa Dorada, we sincerely appreciate your comments. We are more than glad that you enjoyed your stay at our resort.

Thank you for your wonderful comments and for giving us the opportunity to spent your holidays with us. It is great when our customer recognize the excellent work from our employees, we will congratulate Fresita & Manny.

We all look forward to welcome you back in the nearest future.

Best regards

1,784 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
Fife, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

had great fun great fun for the kids an awsome animation team fresita she is awsome with the kids would well go back would like to have a better choice of menu especally for the kids and i didnt like when they let he local people in they take over everthing but it s only at the weekend so we just booked alicantie restaraunts but its awsome during the day and night there is always something to do

Room Tip: pool view are best
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Janett J, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Paradise Playa Dorada, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Dear Dianne B,

We want to express our gratitude for choosing our resort for your vacation. On behalf of Grand Paradise Playa Dorada, we sincerely appreciate it.

It is pleasant to know that you had a delightful stay with us and also that you had an enjoyable time with the company of Fresita. Please be sure that we will congratulate her, for her excellent work and performance.

On the other hand we would like to let you know that the hotel welcomes all guests without distinction.

We all look forward to welcome back in the nearest future.

Kind regards
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

It was my first time in Dominican republic and all I have to say is that I was almost crying the departure day.I really enjoyed every second of my stay. The staff was welcoming and always smiling. The food was actually pretty good and diversified (don't expect 5* restaurant food). The beach is very good too but it's always full of sellers but it's the same for all beach in Dominican republic I think. Sellers are kind and always have smiles so it's not that annoying. I met a lot of people in hotel and some of them became friends. So all I have to say if you're hesitating of going to this hotel I strongly advise you to go personally i didn't regret it and I will be back if I have chance too.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Dear Walidalli,

It is truly a pleasure for us to Know that you enjoyed your vacations at our resort. On behalf of Grand Paradise Playa Dorada, we sincerely appreciate it.

We are thankful for your kind comments regarding your stay in our property. It is pleasant to know that we were able to provide you with a great stay. We are thankful for writing your experience and for choosing our resort .

We look forward your next visit in a near future.

Warm regards from all of us.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

Just got back from a relaxing vacation. The staff was great,especially ( Fresita.) She was a joy and very knowledgeable. The beach was first rate. Remember to bring insect repellent and sunblock.
Restaurant staff was friendly and the food was good

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Janett J, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Paradise Playa Dorada, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Dear Chasewillians,

It is very gratifying to know that you had an amazing vacation at our resort. On behalf of Grand Paradise Playa Dorada, we sincerely appreciate it.

It is pleasant to know that you had a delightful stay with us and also that you had an enjoyable time with the company of Fresita and the staff from the restaurant, we will be more than glad to share your comments with them.

We look forward your next vacations at Grand Paradise Playa Dorada.

Best regards,
Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

Staff very, very nice and helpful. Units kept clean, walk-in impression of unit pretty good, look a little deeper, not so much. Couch and chair nasty stains, window trim loose...window wobbles in the breeze, had unit with kitchen in the event I wanted to cook something even though all inclusive. Kitchen functional, however no pots, pans, utensils, etc...why have kitchen then? Had an issue with the toliet, fixed before I even could turn in work order. Maid discovered while cleaning and reported to maintenance, awesome! Food quality, it'll push a turd out. Grounds beautiful, beach nice because lots of open space. Pool nice. Jacuzzi, not heated. Staff hosts activities around pool, sound system way, way too loud (and I like loud).

Heads Up One. Was told, can't confirm. Check out time is 1pm, that's when I did; however if your flight is later and you try to kill time at resort, you will be charged a full day if you don't tell them you're staying before 1pm. Tell them before 1pm and you are charged less.

Heads Up Two. There is a stand alone "bank" near a plaza within walking distance of resort, best exchange rate.

Heads Up Three. ATM push out only pesos.

Heads Up Four. Book tours through "Tours By James". He's located in plaza; he's from Georgia.

Heads Up Five. English Pub in plaza...Phil's, go see Phil and Alex and have an apple cider beer. He has wi-fi too if you're a customer.

Heads Up Six. Beware of "Lifestyle Vacations" Staff grabbing you at resort where they will announce they will be your concierge for the day and show you town. They will take you to another resort for a tour. Didn't know that's what I was getting into. FYI: Other resort absolutely gorgeous..."timeshare lite" deal. If you decide to go take your swim suit with you cuz I was told I could hang out there all day, all inclusive.

Heads Up Seven. Lots of vendors on the beach, never ending. Polite, but tiresome to see. Ignore them, they may ignore you, say no they'll usually keep moving. Secret weapon. Whether plugged in or not, headphones were a great deterrent.

I didn't hate it, didn't love it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Dear Steve B,

It is with reward that we learn that your vacations at our resort were awesome. On behalf of Grand Paradise Playa Dorada, we sincerely appreciate it.

We are grateful for taking your time to post your review and for your recommendations. We would like answer your question about the Kitchen in the room, the resort has a club member, that some times do not utilizes their all inclusive, in this situation they are allow to use the Kitchen located in the room, but they have to provide their own article for the kitchen.

We hope that you will return to our resort in a near future.

Kind regards.
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Just got back from a week of vacation. Made nice friends and got to say totally worth the money.

First thing first want to say to those who claim the staff is stealing, NOT TRUE! I lost my wallet full of cash, instead of blaming the staff or anyone else I simply went to the help desk and reported it. They put the word around immediately and same afternoon my wallet was found on the beach by one of the security staff (*JULIO*) and returned to help desk. Thank you Julio.

The staff is very friendly, and makes everyone feel comfortable at the resort. The entertainment was great. But for the rainy days they can make more effort to bring people together, like setting up tournaments of foosball or ping-pong, there are lots of things to do with better organization.

Because of reviews that I read I asked for a room on second floor, which was changed, no problem. But it seemed like it wasn’t used for a while, a little dusty and tiny little bugs and ants where around but it was cleaned immediately the next morning and every time I asked for room service they did a great job. The problem is being Caribbean they should know better that their rooms and bathrooms should have a drain for cleaning floors. I have seen it in most resorts and it will make the job much easier for the cleaning staff and the result would be shiny spotless rooms. I will consider that for my next stay. I still will recommend that you take a bug spray with you since you might have to pay 12$ for buying one!!!

Now about the air conditioner!!! It comes on when you use your room key. Strange way of saving energy especially when there is only one key available per room. I think it would be better to put screens on windows since the weather is beautiful and if I had screens I wouldn’t needed the AC at all. But I haven’t seen it in any resort to be honest. I guess they don’t want us to leave windows open.

Restaurant staff I should say most of them are very friendly and do a great job. I don’t expect them to smile all the time as other reviewers complained, I just expect a good service which most of them delivered. Unfortunately I don’t remember any name to mention. But it would be nice if some things are self-service and available all day like coffee or tea. It can get busy and you might sit for a while to get one. I think for busy days there was not enough staff available to serve everyone. The food, I loved the fish and passion fruit. If you go there don’t miss them.

To wrap it up, I was afraid when I read the bad reviews about the hotel but most of them were not an issue for me like watering the drinks, who cares I think it is pretty smart. The beach was beautiful and I could always find a spot to stay away from vendors. I would say if they get a spot to offer their merchandise as opposed to walking around, people can have their relaxing time on the beach and they might actually get more attention and sale.

I had fun I hope you too.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are very nice!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Janett J, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Paradise Playa Dorada, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Dear Guest,

It is truly a pleasure for us to know that you enjoyed your vacations at our resort. On behalf of Grand Paradise Playa Dorada, we sincerely appreciate it.

It is pleasant to know that you had a delightful stay with us. Please be sure that we will congratulate Julio Gonzalez for his hard work and performance.

We all look forward to welcome back in the nearest future.

Warm regards form all of us.
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I just returned from this resort. I was traveling with 2 young kids and quite disappointed over all.

The Resort Positives:
The resort is in a nice location with lots of beach area, the layout of the resort is also nice with the center having a pool, theatre, a la carte restaurant, bar and games room. The rooms are set out around the perimeter. They have a nice main pool and Jacuzzi (water is cold) and a kid’s pool for the children. They have a fantastic kid’s club area. The room we had was very large and nice. I must say the rooms are the largest that I have had and I have been to more than 10 resorts in the Caribbean. The came with a little kitchen area that had a fridge, two burner stove and sink; however, no pots, dishes or utensils are provided. But who would want to cook when all your meals are provided! The food was awesome, very flavourful. The maid service was great, without us asking, she left us extra towels and blankets for the kids.

The Resort Negatives:
The kids club is really, really dirty. The foosball table was caked with dirt.
The buffet restaurant never had clean cups available for tea/coffee; the table clothes were very wrinkled and dirty as they are not changed between meals.
The hotel is in need of repairs, we had a substantial amount of rain and many areas were leaking water.
One of my kids got severely bitten by mosquitoes and something else, the swelling on her leg took 4 days to come down. I gave her Benadryl for allergies and children’s Advil but she was still in pain.
The beach does not have the soft white sand; there are many twigs and rocks in the sand. There are an insane amount of vendors selling things on the beach. They come around constantly, several times a day and their prices are crazy. We found it was much cheaper to purchase alcohol and souvenirs at the airport.
There is only one bar that makes cappuccinos and it was often broken down.
There was a horrible rotten smell in the bar by the main pool, it could make you gag.
Beware as drink glasses are only rinsed with water and not washed properly.
The evening entertainment was of very poor quality. The shows in the theatre were not very entertaining and not done in good taste.

Other:
We did an excursion on the Jeep Safari to see the waterfalls. Beware as this is not a trip for young kids to take. We had to cross over numerous rivers, not using bridges but rather treading through the water. The currents were strong so this made it much harder. You will wreck your shoes when you do this. Both of my kids had to be carried (4 & 6 years old) as the water was too deep for them to try walking through. The Jeep Safari is a full day trip. In the morning you drive through Puerto Plata, you do not stop to do any sight seeing there. They you go to see how figurines and trinkets are made, off course they take you to the local market to buy these items. Then you go to see how coffee and cocoa are made and again are in another local market. After you go for lunch and then off to the water falls.
Besides the amount of time that is spent a local markets selling trinkets and souvenirs this trip would be great for adventurous adults but not children.

Room Tip: Building 14 & 16 have very nice ocean view rooms, however require that you pay for an ocean view...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Janett J, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Paradise Playa Dorada, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Dear Jojo S,

On the other hand we lament that your stay was not satisfactory, please know that we are taking proper actions to improve those area that you reported. We are committed to providing the utmost in customer service.

Thanks so much for recognize the great service or our maid & food.

Warm regards from all of us.

Been to Grand Paradise Playa Dorada? Share your experiences!