“Thanks to Jose Pilar, Fresita and Manny” 3 of 5 stars

Best prices from these 6 sites
Save Saved
You added Grand Paradise Playa Dorada to your Saves list
Grand Paradise Playa Dorada
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Complejo Playa Dorada | P.O. Box 337, Puerto Plata 332, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #8 of 41 Hotels in Puerto Plata
South Shore, Kentucky, United States
“Thanks to Jose Pilar, Fresita and Manny”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

The bartenders and entertainers made everyone feel welcome. Rooms were cleaned every day and were located close to beach. There was a small shopping mall close to the property that you could walk to, pharmacy close by. The food was good with large selection to choose from, with a couple of restaurants that you could make reservation to eat, food was excellent at restaurants. All employees smiled and were very "Happy, Happy". The beach was clean but there were sand fleas everywhere and they were biting everyone causing a lot of problems. Could not go on the beach without getting attacked by sales people on the beach or getting attacked by sand fleas. If you need something talk to Sandy (sales person at beach) she speaks very good English and knows at least 6 different languages, very helpful. Remember she is a trying to make a living with her sales so still "wheel and deal". For water sports talk to Carlos aka "Speedy" at resort he will work with you on prices for water adventures. If you get the opportunity, you need to take Safari but do not do the water falls with the Safari unless you are in very good physical shape. It was fun but dangerous and I would not advise anyone with heart, resp or other physical problems to attempt the water falls, and no children should go on falls. There is a place you can swim at bottom of falls while waiting for others to return from jumping the falls and I suggest you get a life jacket for swimming. This is a very educational Safari and is well worth the money, remember to "wheel and deal" on prices, best person to talk to is Sandy on the beach. There is a lot of things to do at the resort, many games were played such as bingo, darts, dance lessons, karaoke, guess the movie, etc. "Manny" entertainer at resort, makes all these games very fun and enjoyable. All the other guests were very nice, happy, enjoyable to get to know, everyone had a good time while we were there. Security was very good, I did not feel unsafe or uncomfortable at all during my stay. If this is you first time at Puerto Plata,Dominican Republic - I would recommend this resort. You will want to come back.

Room Tip: Rooms with beach view are quieter. Rooms facing pool area and bar area are not as quiet but fun to s...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Janett J, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Paradise Playa Dorada, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Dear Guest,

We are thankful for you writing your experience and for choosing our resort for expending your holidays. On behalf of Grand Paradise Playa Dorada, we sincerely appreciate it.

We are more than happy to know that you recognize the good service that we offer. We will congratulate Fresita, Manny & Jose Pilar for their hard work and performance.

We all look forward to welcome back in the nearest future.

Kind regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (280)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

Everyone there from maids, gardeners, bartenders and entertainment were amazing. The resort was so close to here airport and Its right on the beach. Food was amazing met amazing people. Jose the bartender was always a show stopper making amazing drinks and adding his flare. Entertainment staff Super Joe, Manny, Chispa & Carmen were all great always made us feel welcome and had a blast playing all the games and watching the other entertainment. Overall it was an amazing trip, amazing resort and amazing people. I will definately be seeing them again. Until next time xoxo

• Stayed November 2012
Dear EternalSunshine87,

It is truly a pleasure for us to know that you really enjoyed your vacations in our resort. On behalf of Grand Paradise Playa Dorada, we sincerely appreciate it .

We are thankful for your kind comments regarding your stay in our property and for letting the community know about your pleasant experience.

Thank you so much for recognize the hard work from our employee. We will congratulate Jose Pilar, Carmen Lantigua, Super Joe, Manny & Chispa for their excellent job.

We look forward your next visit in a near future.
south shore ky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

I just returned back to the states late last night.. After spending just one week, I felt a connection of the heart to a few of the hotel employee's.. Everyone made us feel very welcome.. I had a great time.. A very special thank you goes to Fresita and Manny.. They made my week very special.. They both are family to me now..

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear kelebek43,

We are thankful for your sharing your comments regarding your stay in our property. On behalf of Grand Paradise Playa Dorada, we sincerely appreciate it.

It's pleasant to know that you've had a delightful stay and that your enjoyed your holiday with our friendly animation team. We will extend the congratulations to Manny & Fresita for their hard work and performance.

Best regards from all of us.
Midland, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

some of the best people you will meet work there....love them.......rooms were very clean

it is located directly on a lovely sandy beach that was cleaned several times...a day...it is in a complex with around 14 other hotels so you have a long beach to walk along - in the shopping mall in the middle of the complex are a bunch of stores to buy food, pizza, gifts and many other things. I highly recommend that .... if your flight leaves late in the day but you still need to check out by 1pm they will give you a room to shower in. This way you just leave your large luggage with the front desk and take your carry-on around with your change of clothing, passport etc until it's time to leave. Some things I think that could be improved upon: - with the renos they did not include a deadbolt on the entrance door which I feel should be on every hotel door for added security when you're sleeping - take some snacks with you. I arrived after the restaurant closed on Saturday night and although they generously offered to make a plate up for me I had brought something to tide me over. I must mention too that they offer snacks after midnight by the beach if you wanted to wait until then. I have stayed at 4 of the hotels in the complex as well as others in the Dominican and this is the one I keep returning to. I hope you enjoy it too.also the night life on the complex is great! dont be afraid to leave the resort

Room Tip: i was on the 3rd floor good sleep very quite
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Janett J, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Paradise Playa Dorada, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Dear Amanda M.

We are more than happy to read your review about our resort, on behalf of Grand Paradise Playa Dorada, we sincerely appreciate.

We are thankful for your comments about the cleanliness and maintenance of our facilities. It a pleasure to welcome back again in the nearest future.

Thanks so much for choosing us as your second home.

Warm regards
Buffalo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

We just got back from a week at The Grand Paradise Playa Dorada. The rooms were great, the staff was accommodating, the food was good, the beer good and cold, the mixed drinks were watered down and the wine undrinkable.
Knowing this was only a 3 1/2 to 4 star beach hotel our expectations were low. The rooms turned out to be great, well maintained and very clean. The food was very good, but not a huge assortment. The restaurant was nice, open-air and beach front. We didn't mind that the drinks were watery and wine undrinkable - the beer was cold and good. What we did mind was the constant pestering by the time share and beach sales people. It was unbelievable. As you walked down from your room, through the complex, you were attacked by the time share sellers. Then when you went onto the beach, you had to pass a wall of beach sales people. As you sat on the beach, someone came by every 5 minutes - no exaguration. It was very uncomfortable. For this reason, we would not go back to this resort and could not recommend it to others. We travel often, and this was our 6th time to the Dominican Republic. We have never seen a sales force such as this.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Janett J, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Paradise Playa Dorada, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Dear RPM6484,

On behalf of Grand Paradise Playa Dorada, we are really happy to know that you enjoyed our hotel but regretting to read, that we will not be able to welcome back in the future.

We appreciated your opinion and we are taking proper actions about the issues that you mentioned in your review.

We encourage you to visit us again and give us the opportunity to changes your expectation.

Warm regards
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

First of all I have to say the workers and animators are awesome, especially Manny and Super Joe! Everything was great except our mini fridge didnt work the whole week, and we had only 1 day out of 7 with hot water. We did get some compensation in the end but it would have been nice to have a hot shower and the hot tub working. Other than that, very worth it!

• Stayed November 2012
Dear Itsmallory,

It is truly a pleasure for us to know that you enjoyed your vacations in our hotel. On behalf of Grand Paradise Playa Dorada, we sincerely appreciate it.

Thank you so much for recognize the hard work of our animation team. We love knowing that our employees were one of the reasons why our guests enjoy their stay. We will congratulate Manny and Super Joe for their great performance.

We apologize once again for the problems that you had with hot water and the fridge, please know that negative issues that you experienced do not represent the culture and tradition of service in our resort.

We hope to welcome you back in the nearest future.

Best regards
Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

This was my 3rd trip to the Grand Paradise which has been renovated and updated in many areas.

Here are some of the reasons I love this hotel:

- only 15 minutes from the airport so you don't have a long ride to and from the airport
- it is located directly on a lovely sandy beach that was cleaned several times while I was there to get rid of the seaweed and other things that wash up after storms or high tides
- it is in a complex with around 14 other hotels so you have a long beach to walk along
- in the shopping mall in the middle of the complex are a bunch of stores to buy food, pizza, gifts and many other things. I highly recommend that you go see Alberto Rosario at the LARIMAR SHOP as he has lovely jewelry both in silver and gold and he does wonderful custom work if you want something done specially. I have bought several things from him and never been disappointed.
- the buffet restaurant is directly on the beach (the only one like it in the Playa Dorada complex) so every meal you can gaze out at the beautiful ocean instead of spending the time in an enclosed room. To me this is one of their best hotel features.
- the staff try their best to help whenever it is in their power to do so. I had an issue with the balcony door that they tried to resolve and although I was not happy that they didn't get it fixed they did try.
- the rooms are redecorated and the bathrooms were lovely. They even had a small fridge (with bottled water and pop) and flat screen tv and the balcony panels were glass so you could be seated and still see the ocean.
- I stayed in 1431 which was a small room with one double bed and looked over the beach. It was on the 3rd floor which is not a problem if you don't mind the stairs and is near the restaurant and pools. A perfect location in my viewpoint.
- It was quiet after the shows at 11pm so you always had a great sleep
- I found the food acceptable. There was always something that filled me up but if you are looking for fine dining then you may be disappointed. There was more variety on the weekends when the local people came to enjoy the hotel.
- the grounds are beautiful, well groomed and kept clean and tidy
- the staff from the maids, front desk (Demarys), servers and bartenders (Joseph) were polite and cheerful
- you got a free hour of wireless to use the internet which was a bonus. The cost if you wanted more time is $3 USD for 1/2 hour or $5 USD for 1 hour which was reasonable.
- if your flight leaves late in the day but you still need to check out by 1pm they will give you a room to shower in. This way you just leave your large luggage with the front desk and take your carry-on around with your change of clothing, passport etc until it's time to leave.

Some things I think that could be improved upon:

- there was no hot water for 5 of the 7 days which wasn't a huge deal but still would be nicer if it didn't happen. They did give us a $25 voucher to use the next time we go to Grand Paradise.
- the wine was not good but that's not a vacation spoiler for me
- I know that it is rated as a 4 star but I think it should really be a 3 or 3 1/2 star.
- I would love to have a listing of the channels so that you could tell which were English. There were around 7 English ones plus a sports and weather channel. I brought a small DVD player which helped on rainy nights as I didn't find that there was much on the tv channels anyway.
- remember that to rent a safe lock to store your documents, money etc it costs $20 USD for the week

I am including a short list of things I always bring that may be helpful.
- poncho or rain coat, umbrella so that if it does rain you can still get out to look around
- a travel mug for all those yummy slushy drinks that will stay cold on the beach
- sunburn ointment
- Polysporin and bandaids
- extension cord if you need to charge anything you can put it up on the dresser
- your favorite tea (I don't like coffee without cream so I bring tea for a hot drink)
- small gifts to bring the staff although money is more helpful
- a towel since you may need one after you have handed in your towel card when checking out

Room Tip: Room 1431 overlooks the beach but is small and only has a double bed. The buildings #14 and #16 ove...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Janett J, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Paradise Playa Dorada, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Dear Sam09876,

We are thankful for your sharing your comments regarding your stay in our property. On behalf of Grand Paradise Playa Dorada we sincerely appreciate it.

It is pleasant to know that you had a delightful stay and that recognize the hard work from our employee. We are very proud to read your comments about your 3rd stay at our resort.

Please be sure that we will take note about your remark regarding with the issues that you mentioned and for your next visit you will be able to see the changes.

Thank you for sharing your opinion with the community about your experience.

We all look forward to welcome you back in the nearest future.

Best regards from all of us.

Been to Grand Paradise Playa Dorada? Share your experiences!