“Great Location, I would definitely go again” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Paradise Playa Dorada

Save Saved
You added Grand Paradise Playa Dorada to your Saves list
Grand Paradise Playa Dorada
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Complejo Playa Dorada | P.O. Box 337, Puerto Plata 332, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #12 of 41 hotels in Puerto Plata
Ontario
“Great Location, I would definitely go again”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

This was my 3rd trip to the Grand Paradise which has been renovated and updated in many areas.

Here are some of the reasons I love this hotel:

- only 15 minutes from the airport so you don't have a long ride to and from the airport
- it is located directly on a lovely sandy beach that was cleaned several times while I was there to get rid of the seaweed and other things that wash up after storms or high tides
- it is in a complex with around 14 other hotels so you have a long beach to walk along
- in the shopping mall in the middle of the complex are a bunch of stores to buy food, pizza, gifts and many other things. I highly recommend that you go see Alberto Rosario at the LARIMAR SHOP as he has lovely jewelry both in silver and gold and he does wonderful custom work if you want something done specially. I have bought several things from him and never been disappointed.
- the buffet restaurant is directly on the beach (the only one like it in the Playa Dorada complex) so every meal you can gaze out at the beautiful ocean instead of spending the time in an enclosed room. To me this is one of their best hotel features.
- the staff try their best to help whenever it is in their power to do so. I had an issue with the balcony door that they tried to resolve and although I was not happy that they didn't get it fixed they did try.
- the rooms are redecorated and the bathrooms were lovely. They even had a small fridge (with bottled water and pop) and flat screen tv and the balcony panels were glass so you could be seated and still see the ocean.
- I stayed in 1431 which was a small room with one double bed and looked over the beach. It was on the 3rd floor which is not a problem if you don't mind the stairs and is near the restaurant and pools. A perfect location in my viewpoint.
- It was quiet after the shows at 11pm so you always had a great sleep
- I found the food acceptable. There was always something that filled me up but if you are looking for fine dining then you may be disappointed. There was more variety on the weekends when the local people came to enjoy the hotel.
- the grounds are beautiful, well groomed and kept clean and tidy
- the staff from the maids, front desk (Demarys), servers and bartenders (Joseph) were polite and cheerful
- you got a free hour of wireless to use the internet which was a bonus. The cost if you wanted more time is $3 USD for 1/2 hour or $5 USD for 1 hour which was reasonable.
- if your flight leaves late in the day but you still need to check out by 1pm they will give you a room to shower in. This way you just leave your large luggage with the front desk and take your carry-on around with your change of clothing, passport etc until it's time to leave.

Some things I think that could be improved upon:

- with the renos they did not include a deadbolt on the entrance door which I feel should be on every hotel door for added security when you're sleeping
- take some snacks with you. I arrived after the restaurant closed on Saturday night and although they generously offered to make a plate up for me I had brought something to tide me over. I must mention too that they offer snacks after midnight by the beach if you wanted to wait until then.
- there was no hot water for 5 of the 7 days which wasn't a huge deal but still would be nicer if it didn't happen. They did give us a $25 voucher to use the next time we go to Grand Paradise.
- the wine was not good but that's not a vacation spoiler for me
- I know that it is rated as a 4 star but I think it should really be a 3 or 3 1/2 star.
- I would love to have a listing of the channels so that you could tell which were English. There were around 7 English ones plus a sports and weather channel. I brought a small DVD player which helped on rainy nights as I didn't find that there was much on the tv channels anyway.
- remember that to rent a safe lock to store your documents, money etc it costs $20 USD for the week

I am including a short list of things I always bring that may be helpful.
- poncho or rain coat, umbrella so that if it does rain you can still get out to look around
- a travel mug for all those yummy slushy drinks that will stay cold on the beach
- sunburn ointment
- Polysporin and bandaids
- extension cord if you need to charge anything you can put it up on the dresser
- your favorite tea (I don't like coffee without cream so I bring tea for a hot drink)
- small gifts to bring the staff although money is more helpful
- a towel since you may need one after you have handed in your towel card when checking out

I have stayed at 4 of the hotels in the complex as well as others in the Dominican and this is the one I keep returning to. I hope you enjoy it too.

Room Tip: Room 1431 overlooks the beach but is small and only has a double bed. The buildings #14 and #16 ove...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Janett J, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Paradise Playa Dorada, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Dear Sam09876,

We are thankful for your sharing your comments regarding your stay in our property. On behalf of Grand Paradise Playa Dorada we sincerely appreciate it.

It is pleasant to know that you had a delightful stay and that recognize the hard work from our employee. We are very proud to read your comments about your 3rd stay at our resort.

Please be sure that we will take note about your remark regarding with the issues that you mentioned and for your next visit you will be able to see the changes.

Thank you for sharing your opinion with the community about your experience.

We all look forward to welcome you back in the nearest future.

Best regards from all of us.

1,878 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
Cornwall, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

I've been to Puerto Plata many times and the best place I've stayed is Grand Paradise. I try to go at least twice a year.The staff and management are alway very pleasent,the rooms are very nice and clean, the food is good always something to eat. Everyone always has a smile and hello for you. There will always be people who no matter what you do aren't going to be happy, you have to remember this is another country very different from ours. So be respectful of their culture, we would expect that if they were vacationing in our country and they would probably not like some of our ways of life either.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Janett J, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Paradise Playa Dorada, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
Dear guest,

On behalf of Grand Paradise Playa, we sincerely appreciate your comments. we appreciate when our clients take the time out their busy schedules to make us aware of their good experience of their holidays.

We are more than happy to know that you enjoyed your vacations and to know that we will receive you again in the nearest future. We all look forward to welcome back.

Thanks so much for recognize our attractive and the hard work from our employee.

Warm regards
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Went here for a week and met amazing people! The staff was pleasent, some more then others. Entertainment staff were amazing, super Joe was great!! Resort was really nice, and well kept. The only down fall was when on the beach the amount of people that would try to sell you things. They were very pushy and wouldn't stop. This also included people that were trying to get you to go on trips or buy into the time shares. Food wasn't too bad for the Dominican, we brought ketchup and our snacks to help us get through. Bartering with people of the resort was easy enough, however, when they brought vendors in some nights, they were not willing to barter as much. We met a great group of people while being down there. All vacationers were also very easy to talk with and get along with. The shows in the evening where great and the activities throughout the day weren't too bad. The pool bar wasn't open late enough, it closed before the pool did. When on the beach, to get away from everyone hasseling you, you weren't near the bar, and the beach bar was closed. The al carte dinners where very good! the pork chops were amazing and they always had food available, which was nice.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Janett J, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Paradise Playa Dorada, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Dear guest,

On behalf of Grand Paradise Playa Dorada we sincerely appreciate your comments. Thank you for you for giving us the opportunity to serve you as you deserves. We are indeed delighted to know that you've had a great vacation.

We have already sent the message to the administration of the beach sellers and we will take proper actions.

Kind regards
NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012 via mobile

I had a great time and the staff was very friendly and helpful. Food was great hotel was clean and located in a great area by nightclubs. I would definitely go there a gain and recommend this hotel to everyone

• Stayed June 2012
Dear guest,

Thanks so much for posting your comments, on behalf of Grand Paradise Playa Dorada we sincerely appreciate it.

It's a pleasure for to know that you enjoyed your vacation and that next time we will receive you as a repeat guest.

Hope to see you in the nearest future.

Kind regards
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012 via mobile

i really likéd the beach is very nice the hotel is excellent the room's arr very beautiful.welcoming the staff of the hotrl very helpful especially a waiter that i met that is called eduardo bravo i recommend this hotel to spend the best holiday :)

• Stayed April 2012
Dear guest,

On behalf of Grand Paradise Playa, we would like to thank you for posting your comments, it is obvious that you have enjoyed your stay as much as we did taking care of you. We are indeed delighted. We all look forward to welcome you back in the nearest future.

Is a pleasure to know that our employees were one of the reasons that you enjoyed your vacation. We will congratulate Eduardo Bravo for his hard work and performance.

Warm regards
Brig
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I really like it there. The hotel is good also the rooms nice and clean. I defenitely will come back to this beautifull place. Everyone is very friendly. Especially Eduardo Bravo who is working in the restaurant stayed in my memories . He was a very friendly , handsome and reliable guy. Hope to be back there soon ! :)

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Dear guest,

Thanks so much for posting your comments, on behalf of Grand Paradise Playa we sincerely appreciate.

We are glad that you enjoyed you holidays with us and that our employee were one of the reason that you've had a wonderful vacations, we will congratulate Eduardo Bravo for his hard work and performance.

We all look forward to welcome you back in the nearest future.

Kind regards from all of us.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

Everyone working at the resort was incredibly friendly especially the animators specifically Maireni(Manny) and "Super Joe". Everyone really does their best to try to make your stay as fun filled and comfortable as possible, my main dislike was the exaggerated number of vendors on the beach. The resort was always clean and the rooms were well kept, a few devices didnt work in the room such as the refridgerator and the tv for a few days and we lost hot water for 4 days during our 7 day stay due to lightning storms. The food was good but there were times when we would be hungry between meals and the buffet/restaurants would be closed between lunch and supper. Overall i would recommend the Grand Paradise resort and will look into another vacation there next year!

• Stayed November 2012
Janett J, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Paradise Playa Dorada, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear guest,

On behalf of Grand Paradise Playa Dorada, we sincerely appreciate your comments. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay at our Hotel.

Thank you for posting your comments and for letting us know about you experience. We are indeed delighted. We all look forward to welcome you back in the nearest future.

We are very pleased to know that our employees were one of the reasons that you enjoyed your vacation. We will congratulate Manny and Super Joe for their hard work and performance.

warm regards.

Been to Grand Paradise Playa Dorada? Share your experiences!