My husband and I stayed at the Grand Paradise from 11/5 to 11/12 and enjoyed it very much.
As usual, after reading the reviews before we left I started to wonder what we had gotten ourselves into. Sometimes I wonder what expectations people must have to so critically rate resorts. This was not a 5 star resort, and we had no grand allusions of it being one.
It was a great 3 ½ star resort.
Our room was a pool view. I had wanted an ocean view, but was glad that we had this room when the rain began. We had 3 days of torrential rains and wind. An ocean view would have made it so we couldn’t sit on our balcony, which is what we did on the rainy days.
We ate at the buffet most meals and were pleased with what it had to offer. There was never a time that we had nothing to choose from! The buffet restaurant has such a beautiful view of the ocean that you couldn’t help but enjoy it. We ate at Michelango’s once and enjoyed it as well.
I never encountered one person who worked at this resort who did not have a smile on their face and a “hola, come esta” on their lips.
The weekend was full with locals coming in. The only issue there was that the pool became extremely loud all afternoon, but they were on vacation too. The restaurant did become quite crowded and they opened the 2nd floor. No big deal. We never felt uncomfortable or put out.
My only bone of contention is the vendors. We had been to Playa Dorada 2 times before as well as Punta Cana 3 times and yearly to St. Martin and we never have encountered the level of these vendors. They would go by, and we did buy from a couple of them. The others would just pester you to no end. One day I was sitting by myself and one went by and I said “no thank you”. The vendor gave me such an evil look and kept staring down at me. I was feeling quite uncomfortable at this point. I know the economy is bad and everyone needs to make a living, but their persistence was very frustrating. They would hang around our resort and stay all day. Then they would stand at the wall and hold items up while you were in the dining room. Something should be done about this.
All in all it is a great resort in a wonderful location.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, HotelTravel.com, Despegar.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Priceline, Odigeo and Low Cost Holidays so you can book your Grand Paradise Playa Dorada reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Paradise Playa Dorada Hotel Puerto Plata
- Paradise Beach Club Puerto Plata
- Paradise Beach Resort Casino
- Paradise Beach Puerto Plata
- Paradise Beach Club Casino