“Second Timer Thats Planning on Coming Back For A Third” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Paradise Playa Dorada

Save Saved
You added Grand Paradise Playa Dorada to your Saves list
Grand Paradise Playa Dorada
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Complejo Playa Dorada | P.O. Box 337, Puerto Plata 332, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #11 of 43 hotels in Puerto Plata
Biddeford
“Second Timer Thats Planning on Coming Back For A Third”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

This resort is amazing. I really don't understand all of the negative comments. I travel quite often and have visited many of the islands and this was, by far, my favorite resort. It is true that the food is pretty much the same day in and day out but there is plenty to choose from and it is of great quality. I didn't care much for the chicken at Michelangelos but the steak at Edens was delicious. It is also true that the sales people on the beach are very pushy but they are all very friendly and part of the culture. I got to know everyone of them on a personal basis and they are just hard workers trying to earn a living. There is always something going on at this resort and the staff is amazing. There is constantly either an aerobics class, a game or a show going on. The staff really takes the time to get to know everyone and they are so friendly that my husband and I compared them to Disney World employees. I had such a great time with Jose Pilar, Super Joe and Manny. They really did a lot to make our vacation memorable. Even in the three days of rain, we had a great time. This was our second stay at this resort and I am already planning number three.

I will admit that all 7 of us came down with "Travelers Diarrhea" that some seem to think is food poisoning but I have seen food poisoning and have worked in the food industry and have never seen a case of food poisoning that lasted 1.5 days and didn't consist of vomiting.

Anyone that doesn't like this resort probably fails to remember that it is the Dominican Republic and isn't as civilized as the states so you probably shouldn't be expecting The Hamptons or Hawaii.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Janett J, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Paradise Playa Dorada, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear Melissa,

On behalf of Grand Paradise Playa Dorada, thanks so much for your great comments.

We are more than happy to know that you are a loyal repeat customer. We are indeed delighted and glad that you enjoyed your stay at our Hotel and look forward to welcome you back in the nearest future.

Thanks for the comment which clarify the situation with traveler's diarrhea.

Is our pleasure to know that our employees were one of the reasons that you enjoyed your vacation. We will congratulate Jose Pilar, Super Joe and Manny for their great work and performance.

Thank you so much for choosing us.

Kind regards from all of us,

1,876 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
Biddeford, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Everything about this resort was awesome. The beach was beautiful with plenty of beach chairs to use. The salesman on the beach were a bit pushy, but they were very friendly and willing to help you up. The food was good, and enjoyable however it was the same day to day. Any negatives I may of had about this place were offset by the entertainment and the staff. The staff became your friends, and it did not take long for them to actually learn my name. I had a great experience with one staff member, Jose Pilar. He was always saying hey, and making sure we were taking care of. He made the trip to the island excellent. I will be returning to this resort. It was a wonderful experience!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Janett J, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Paradise Playa Dorada, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for having chosen Grand Paradise Playa and for such beautiful comments about our resort and staff .

Please be sure that we are taking proper actions about the selection of the food.

We are very pleased to know that our employees were one of the reasons that you enjoyed your vacation. We will congratulate José Pilar for his hard work and performance.

Warms regards from all of us.
Cleveland, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

We checked in on Sunday after being told by an on-online dot com that I had booked for two adults & two kids; the hotel only had us booked for two adults. They GM accommodated us, , however, the rest of the stay was nightmarish. First of all, we had NO hot water from 11/11 until 11/16; the front desk blamed the heavy rain from the previous days, couldn't get parts, etc, etc. Everyday they said "the hot water will be on today...." Nope. Our first room had a dysfunctional TV, the toilet backed up and the phone didn't work. After numerous calls, they moved us to a room that stunk of heavy cigar smoke-they claimed they had no other rooms available. Well, after it rained, the roof leaked over my daughter's bed; their solution, wipe down the ceiling and turn up the air conditioning, "it only condensation," they said!!? Now, when we initially arrived we were given towel cards, the towel attendant kept the cards and gave us 4 towels we were to use the entire remainder of the trip! When we checked out, they demanded the cards and the greasy towels and then charge us $45.00 or they would NOT allow us to check out or call a cab!!! You would think that after two room changes, NO hot water
a leaky ceciling, blaring lating music up to 11;00 at night, etc, etc, they would have taken something OFF the bill-NOT added onto it! So here I am, still suffering the effects of food poisoning from my stay, and if anyone decides to stay there, you do so at your own risk! I WANT MY MONEY BACK!!

Isle of Man, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Our experience was unique, we are customer repeaters and last year like this year we had a great time. Last year we met our friend Janet and she really helped us with our room this year we came back and she gave us an excellent upgrade to a suite overlooking the pool, the room was very nice and the service was very good as always. The most regrettable thing about this trip was to listen to the agency from England would no longer be traveling to Puerto Plata, but we would look for a way to come back.

Ask for Janet she helps a lot

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thanks so much for posting your comments. On behalf of Grand Paradise Playa Dorada, we sincerely appreciate it.

We are delighted for your loyalty and for recognize our services . I really appreciate your wonderful comments about my person.

We look forward to welcome you back in the nearest future.

Kind regards,
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I would say that this hotel is on the downslope of it's life despite having excellent beaches, vistas, landscaping and waiters. I and a number of people from Toronto got food poisoning, the week of 3/Nov/12, ruining 3 days of our trip. I had to avail myself of the clinic which was quite good actually at treating food poisoning, they like to call it travelers diarrhea, I suspect they have lots of people to treat. The food in this place is horrible and it appears the menu is tailored to the locals who show up in droves on the weekend. I had Chicken Parmesan at Michelangelos that was inedible, how do you screw that up? How does an Italian restaurant not smell of sauce and cheese? The meats all taste the same and the grill they use reeks of rancid grease, it's nauseating. By the end of the week I was reduced to eating their breads and pastries and coffee, which are quite good actually, The food at Edens was marginally better. The wines they serve at dinner are terrible, the whites tasted watered down and the reds had the clarity of grape juice. The beer is fine.

The rooms are very nice and tiled beautifully with mahogany in abundance and we had a nice garden view balcony overlooking the pool areas. The phone never worked which meant walks to reception often, and the toilet was unreliable. Trust me you will need a working toilet when they give you food poisoning. We reported both not working but they were never fixed, others in our group reported the same. There were no remotes for the TV's, apparently the locals steal them. You will need a safe, this will cost you $20 for the week.
If you want a peaceful vacation this is not the resort for you. Right outside our window was the bar and pool area at which they will play supersonic fast, overly loud latin music with a heavy base beat and some jerk blaring on a microphone at any point between 9:30 am and 11pm. I use to like Latin music, I hate it now. In the bar area of the pool there is a nauseating smell emanating that I swear smells like a dead body is rotting there, it will make you gag.

Then there are the 100 or so vendors that are allowed to sell you product or services on the beach, they are incessant and relentless. I'm not exaggerating when I say you can be approached every 5 seconds but you will not go 5 minutes without someone pestering you.
We took a tour with Puerto Plata runners and it became clear that the purpose of this excursion is to get you to buy more of their product with many stops along a terrible road through beautiful mountainous beach country. The reward was an amazing private beach to play at for an afternoon, very memorable.
What pains me about this country is the lack of pride they take in keeping it a paradise. There is garbage everywhere dumped on the sides of the road and in any vacant lot, many buildings are hovels in downtown Puerto Plata. It also pains me that this country still can't deliver safe drinking water and safe food to eat in the 21st century. That should be paramount, a basic human right! Why do we continue to accept this as an acceptable inconvenience when we travel to latin america? I'm not, I will take my travel dollars elsewhere.

Room Tip: get a beach side
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

On behalf of Grand Paradise Playa Dorada, we sincerely appreciate your comments which are for us a real feedback.
We regret to read about the bad experience you had during your stay. We are committed to providing the utmost in customer service and we appreciate when our mutual clients take the time out their busy schedules to make us aware of their bad and good experience of their holidays. We feel sorry that our hotel was not up to your expectation.

We have sent your comments to the different departments for improve and take proper actions for those areas that you reported.

We Would like to thank you for recognize our waiters and attractions. We encourage you to visit us again and give us of the opportunity to show you the changes we have made.

Sincerely apologize for any unfortunate inconvenience.

Warm regards from all of us.
Wasaga Beach, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

We discovered this bit of "Paradise" about 18 yrs. ago, & have returned once a year ever since!

We've traveled extensively throughout the world and stayed in all kinds of accommodations, but The Grand Paradise continues to be a hotel we want to return to as often as we can....
It's a hotel with a huge following and retains a high volume of repeaters year after year.

There are things we look for when planning a "beach vacation" & two of them are cleanliness and being directly on the beach. Can't beat The Grand Paradise on these two "must haves!"

The main dining room, on a point, with views of the ocean & the mountain on all sides, boasts the most spectacular view! No other hotel in Puerto Plata can say the same!
There's an assortment of all kinds of local & international foods that is sure to please everyone!

The location is amazing, with plaza, complete with medical clinic, no more than a five minute walk.
I used that clinic last year, and from first hand experience, I was treated royally, not just by the medical staff, but also by guest services, & hotel employees afterwards.
NO, it wasn't the food that caused my illness - I caught the flu from one of the new arrivals!

We can and do often, walk to town while exercising caution of course, as we would in any city!

Preferring a suite on the ground floor, we feel completely safe, knowing security patrols the beautiful impeccably kept grounds 24/7.

We approach everyone with respect & courtesy, and can only say they respond in the same courteous & respectful manner!

Problems are fixed quickly, when the hotel's protocol for reporting a problem is followed properly.
Instructions are in the room.....

Would we return to the Grand Paradise - YOU BET WE WOULD! - AGAIN & AGAIN & AGAIN!

We'll be returning in early December 2012, and can hardly wait to arrive!

See you soon Grand Paradise!

Rete & Repeat

Room Tip: Recommending a room is an individual thing.... A review earlier this month recommended not staying...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Rita & Peter,

Thanks so much for so such wonderful comments. On behalf of Grand Paradise Playa Dorada we really appreciate it.

Is our pleasure to welcome you back every year. Thank you for choosing us and for letting the community know about all your great experiences you've had with us.

Please feel welcome always in your second home.

We will see you soon.

Warms regards from all of us.
Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I must say that my experience was awesome, good weather, good hospitality, excellent excursions and especially spectacular hotel. My husband and I had decided that this would be our last trip to the Dominican Republic because we felt that we had already seen and known everything from this country, but it was not. We visited grand paradise hotel in October 22, to be honest on arrival we were not impressed by the lobby, it looked a little off, but we knew we had paid for a 4 star hotel and we were not going to find automatic glass doors or air conditioning, our check in was quick and the guys who looked after us were very nice, indeed our expectations were different and we thought we would find a motel rather than hotel, but you know what?? Waoo what a surprised for us, from the moment we walked into our room until day of our departure. All employees starting from the security guy is in the reception lobby to the people who were always cut the grass were really polite. The only thing that didn’t impress us was the food, but you know, with the attention you get from the waiters you have forgotten any displeasure. I want to thank the manager Jannete, thanks for such extraordinarily rich treatment; you return our illusions to visit that country again. Your treatment made the difference at all. Thanks for providing a first class service, rest assured that we will return.

Room Tip: We started in block 17 and it was really quiet.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Janett J, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Paradise Playa Dorada, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Dear Guest,

On behalf of Grand Paradise Playa Dorada, thanks so much for such nice comments it‘s really a pleasure that our employees were one of the reasons that you enjoyed your holidays. We are more than happy to know that we will be honored to receive you again in a nearest future.

We are taking proper action about the improvement of the food and please be sure that for your next visit you will be able to see the change that we have made.

Thank you for choosing us and for such a beautiful comment about my person.

Warm regards from all of us

Been to Grand Paradise Playa Dorada? Share your experiences!