“Gorgeous holiday!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Paradise Playa Dorada

You added Grand Paradise Playa Dorada to your Saves list
Grand Paradise Playa Dorada
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Complejo Playa Dorada | P.O. Box 337, Puerto Plata 332, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #9 of 44 Hotels in Puerto Plata
London, United Kingdom
“Gorgeous holiday!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

Before we flew I had read so many bad reviews for this place and was really starting to worry about being really disappointed when we arrived. But disappointed I wasn't! I can't understand how so many people can complain about the place. We had a fabulous holiday. Yes - it's not perfect, but it's not a 5* and we only paid £800 for 2 weeks all inclusive, you can't expect to be staying in some kind of palace for that price.

I'll start with the staff - everyone was really lovely and couldn't do enough for you. The bar staff and the restaurant staff (all bar one or two) were all lovely and cheerful and the service was great, although sometimes a little slower when the resort was busy but that's to be expected I'd say. But the people that really made our holiday fabulous were the animation team. I can't say enough about Chiky, Pepe, Barbie, La Chispa and Super Joe. They were all amazing. They made our stay so fun. My husband loves to get involved in everything and he had so much fun with them. They were all fabulous - a real credit to the hotel. We will miss them a lot!

The rooms were beautiful, when we booked with Thomas Cook we requested a sea view which we got with no problem but didn't pay any extra. Our room was lovely, overlooking the beach with a big kingsize bed, a built in wardrobe, a big desk/dressing table, large TV and balcony. The bathroom was fine, and everything was clean. Our maid Dulce was an absolute sweetheart, we met her on a few occasions and she was nothing but sweet. She cleaned our room perfectly every day.

The food was fine - I read lots of bad reviews on the food but didn't find any problems with the main buffet. The restaurant was lovely, open plan by the sea - it was lovely to eat breakfast by the beach. The food was good - yes after a while it did get a little repetitive but there was always something for everyone. A range of meats and fish, rice, beans, potatoes, pasta, vegetables plus salads, cold cuts and cheese, breads and deserts. Always something being freshly cooked on the grill. Breakfast got a little boring for me as it was pretty much the same every day but I get bored of breakfast at home so it was nothing unsual for me - the selection was big. The a la carte restaurants on the other hand were not great. Eden Steakhouse, the soup was great but I asked for my meat well done but it came out very pink. I was too put off by then to send it back. The Michaelangelos restaurant was nice but that night myself and someone else who had the same meal were very sick with V&D all night... that was the day before I flew and I've still felt funny for a few days. Apart from that I was not sick all holiday.

The entertainment was great, there were games and aerobics going on through the day and then a show or some kind of live music etc every night. The bars were great, the alcohol was good - a good range of cocktails for the ladies. There is a nightclub that starts at 11 until 1 - drinks are still included. It's a laugh in there but it is mostly spanish music or english cheese such as YMCA. Coco Bongo in the plaza is good though.

I also read lots of complaints about the locals - these reviews are really over the top. Yes, a lot of locals come over on a Friday/Saturday until Sunday but they do not swamp the place. We quite enjoyed it, it's nice to meet people of a different culture etc. Yes they can be a bit rude and push in the queues etc but this is just their nature. We met some great locals and enjoyed the weekends with them. There were however a few issues such as there are only lifeguards at the weekends when the locals are there and it seems it is one rule for them and one rule for everyone else.

The pool is lovely, lots of space and sunbeds with a swim up bar. The beach is gorgeous, lovely white sand and clear water. The vendors do get annoying but just say no politely and they will leave. I did however get a nice pedicure on the beach from a vendor.

I would recommend you do the Paradise Island trip, it's beautiful and so much fun! Do not however book it through Thomas Cook as it's $80 dollars. Take a wander down to the plaza (2 mins from resort) and book with the guy named James. He has a little office there and did the trip for $50 - all insured etc and was fab.

All in all I had a fab holiday, met some great people. Go to this resort with an open mind and looking to have fun and you will be fine. Don't go expecting 5 star as it's not that. Feel free to inbox me with any questions!

Room Tip: Request when you book for a sea view quiet room.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (358)
Bonao, Dominican Republic
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

the service is very good ,,,,,,the rooms are comfortable and so exotic....good natural decoration in all the areas,at the restaurants the food is very healthy and variety...animation department is the best specially with LA BOMBA....the explosivest guy .....ufffffffffffff the shows are impresive....never i had seen ever ...the beach is fantastic and teh swimming pool is relax....

but the most important are the employeers that take care of you all the time....

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Sainte-Therese, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

We have been 15 times to the Grand Paradise and will go back again. It has been renovated and the rooms are good. The food is excellent and the service just perfect. All the employees are devoted to their customers, particularly Paula Reyes Castillo at the reception

Room Tip: Just ask Paula for an ocean front room if available
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

This was our first time to this hotel and the area, the staff are fantastic and could not have been more helpful, Watch Out /Rafael was extremely attentive and went out of his way to make sure we had the best time ever. Would definitely recommend this hotel and go back again.

Room Tip: We had a sea view suit and it was fantastic.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

I go twice a year for a mission trip to this hotel and playa dorada and the people at this hotel have been extremely nice and helpful, my maid named Nereida Polanco was super kind and went out of her way to help me and accomodate me as well as making me feel welcomed, flowers were brought to my room and kindness and safety was the overall feeling during my stay. The rest of my 50 people team were very happy with the care we got too...

Room Tip: choose building 14 or 16 with ocean view, is far from the noise, close to food and the view is amazi...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Cannock, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

We visited from 20th Sep to 4th Oct ... Well we're do I start ...

The revews I had read before we went made me wonder why I had booked it.
And when we actually got there it looked amazing, the staff at the reception were very helpful and the bell boy took our luggage to our rooms (gave 100 peso) when we opened the door and saw the view, well our hearts melted (sea view) it was brilliant, the room was spacious and very clean including kingsize bed, large wardrobe, large digital tv ontop of the large unit, fridge and coffee making facilities and the bathroom was huge with plenty of hot water all the time.

We attended the beach restaurant and were amazed by the different variety of food. We never went without and was very nice food freshly made with lots to choose from. Every night there was a theme to what we ate such as Mexican, BBQ, Italian etc.

The waiters were brilliant we never went without water or a beverage during our meal and our plates were cleared as soon as we had finished eating.

No complaint about the food or staff from us.

The pool and spa was cleaned daily and it was fantastic just to jump in as the weather was so hot.

The bar staff and entertainment staff were brilliant we tried every cocktail going some we never heard of.

Beach towels changed daily clean and so soft, we were advised by BON BON (towel lady) Don't lose the towels it's $15 to pay for a replacement card which is needed to get the towels.

I need to mention the Pit Stop, this is just outside the resort $25 each we were advised by Bon Bon to go and so glad we did, we laughed all day racing go-karts there were 4 tracks you can go on. It's fun and in the price you get a photo and snack.

We also did the city trip where you go to the Rum factory, Cigar factory, Jewlery factory, Cathedral, Castle and Ocean world where we had lunch. It was lovely, an experience to be tried.

Toiletries we left and I also left a few clothes just to help out the locals.

(Just to advise all try to keep to your returning luggage allowance as they can be very strict ).

We have no bad review just go and try this hotel for yourself it's FANTASTIC, BRILLIANT, AMAZING DREAM COME TRUE

Room Tip: Rooms near the pool bar get all the evening noise so if you are wanting to go bed early you will. It...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Kitchener, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

We stayed here a year ago and are now looking to go away again so I thought I would check out the reviews and see if anything had changed. Apparently not much.

I have to admit that we found the locals showing up on the weekend really did lesson our experience. They were everywhere and took over everything.

While we participated in the games all week and won nothing, the weekend came and it was the locals participaing and they were winning bottles of rum.

I must say though that the entertainment staff were all very accomodating and we had a lot of fund with them during the week.

Sure the food is nothing spectacular, but there was always something to eat and although the basics never changed there was something different everynight.

Our biggest problem during the whole week was with the Nolitour Rep. Believe me when I say that if you have a problem they will not help you. You are entirely on your own.

Not a terrible place, not a wonderful place, but you get what you pay for.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask that you are not in the attic. Although we were told it was an ocean view you lit...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Grand Paradise Playa Dorada? Share your experiences!