“Beware of Royal Vacation Timeshare People!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Paradise Playa Dorada

Save Saved
You added Grand Paradise Playa Dorada to your Saves list
Grand Paradise Playa Dorada
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Complejo Playa Dorada | P.O. Box 337, Puerto Plata 332, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #12 of 43 hotels in Puerto Plata
canada
“Beware of Royal Vacation Timeshare People!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012

This was our 13th visit to Grand Paradise. Staff as always were great; that's what keeps us coming back. Unfortunately, there are way too many timeshare parasites around the hotel. They prey on the young and inebriated tourists. A young couple from B.C. got sucked in for $14,000 @ 9.9% for 30 years. Fortunately,, they didn't give a credit card #. After speaking with them, I was accosted by one of the Royal people who threatened me;" You are in my country; Be careful what you say about Royal" I immediately complained to the manager of the resort, who spoke with the offending person, and the young couple got their contract ripped up. We will return to Paradise, but be warned!!

Room Tip: Building 3 is quiet, away from the entertainment at night
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

1,880 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
Ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

As this was our second trip, two weeks last year and again two weeks
this year we were prepared for this resort. We find the greatest plus are the guests.
Being small, everyone is really friendly. Food is okay, checkin was a nightmare-
long lines. We insisted on porter leading the way having such a hard time last year.
All being well we will return next year. Forget the ala carte restaurants-buffet provides
better choice and the most delicious carrots ever. Two seniors from Campbellford, Ontario

Room Tip: Ask for ground floor if stairs are a problem. Shower had no separation- next time a walkin shower.
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2012

just got back from my trip to puerto plata yesterday. the food was excellent, rooms ok, animation pretty good. lots of the staff members were not very welcoming, when we checked in it took forever and they didnt even say hi when we arrived. some servers are nice, others make you feel guilty for being there and not wanted. overall we still had fun. i also noticed that people are trying to rip you off everywhere and want tips for everything. so if u want to buy any souvenirs, compare a lot of shops and u need to bargain. also get smaller dollar bills ready cuz pretty much every single person will ask you for tips, no matter where you go. if you book a tour its good to buy candy before cuz you will run into kids begging you for money and candies and if you dont give enough they will show you the middle finger. i've been to punta cana before and liked it there way better so check out a few more places before booking there.

Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

After reading a number of the reviews posted here, we were quite hesitant to book this resort, however, after checking the reviews of several other DR resorts, this seemed pretty much the one with the `Least Risk`. We booked this one and went with a low expectation. We were most pleasantly surprised.

The resort is clean, safe, and well maintained. The lobby is bright, open and inviting. The desk staff was most welcoming and pleasant to deal with. We received our key to our room as well as 2 cards for beach towels. Upon our arrival to our room, we were blown away. We had scored an ocean view second floor room, with a balcony. The room was bright, clean, and spacious. And the view was spectacular. The beach was right outside our window, and the ocean was right there in all it`s magnificance.

During our week long stay, the room was always cleaned to perfection, the bed sheets were changed regularly, the floors were cleaned and toilet amenities were always restocked, as was the fridge. (For my wife to offer this comment, it HAD to be good!).

Activities at the resort, were fairly sparce and a bit too late at night for our liking, however, there were many who enjoyed the variety of things to enjoy.

The buffet, was clean, and always appeared to offer new items, although most of the selection was pretty much the same day to day. The coffee was hot, and the desserts were quite varied. Of course, the view and atmosphere in the buffet were always A+.

We tried the Italian restaurant one evening and found the food to be very similar to what was offered at the buffet. Since the food was included in the price of the resort, we couldn`t really complain.

Overall, we are quite surprised by the negative reviews which are being posted about this resort. We did not encounter any of the negative items which others seem to have come across. From the desk staff, to the cleaning staff, to the restaurant staff, all were polite, friendly and always well dressed and groomed. And, most importantly, we felt safe anywhere within the resort.

We would definitely recommend this resort without hesitation. We were pleasantly surprised.
Thanks to all resort staff for a most memorable stay.

Theresa and Bob A.
Ottawa Ontario Canada

Sarnia, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

First time staying at this resort and we knew there was a soft renovation done on it before we got there. Overall.... not bad, not great, but not bad. Rooms were average, food wasn't good but I loved the animation team. They were lots of fun! Always made you feel welcome. Pool was great, drinks were great, beach was great!
We had some trouble with getting the right room as soon as we got there but that got fixed within a couple of hours. Phone didn't work in our room but really.... did I go on vacation to use the phone? No.... so it didn't make that much of a difference.
Food.... not good... not a lot of variety. Some days were better than others but for the most part the food wasn't up to my standards.
I would have to say that I would go back to the resort because of the animation team! They are a FANTASTIC group of people! Very high energy, very fun... definitely made the trip worth it! I miss all of them already!!!
Hope to go back soon and visit!!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

My husband and I returned yesterday from the Grand Paradise Playa Dorada. This was our first trip ever.
I will break it down in a little bit. I want to start off by saying we had a great time. We were pleased with the resort and plan to return in two years and ask for the exact room we had! Ok here we go!
Pick up at the airport was quick and the airport porters were great. Please tip them, they are the ones whose shirts say volunteer. The drive to the resort wasan experience! OMG - the Dominican people drive crazy!! lol There are 4 or 5 people on a scooter and they pass on the right-it is nuts. Everyone goes when they want do not drive in the DR. We arrived at the resort and when they pack your luggage in the trailer it is packed tight, remember to pack breakables carefully as it is a little roughly treated. No big deal though.
Check In - The check in was fast for the people ahead of us but it took a little longer for us and this is a good thing. We had booked a standard room and I had emailed them 2 weeks before to let them know we are celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary and my 40th bday. These were the reasons for the trip. They did not have record of our email so Francis at the desk asked us to comeback in a half an hour. We went back and he gave us a room, ocean front in building 16 and it had a kitchenette and king size bed. It wasn't ready yet so we toddled off to explore. When the room was ready the porter took our luggage for us. One thing that I forgot- don't panic when you get to the resort- they leave your luggage outside the entrance until you are checked in- this freaked out hubby who didn't want to leave it but there are people there to watch it.
Room- It was a great room with an ocean view on the bottom floor. There are little signs pointing to each room block, I found it very easy to navigate. Room was clean and smelled fresh, ther were no signs of bugs or problems of any kind. The fridge was noisy but it isn't a Maytag right! There was water and coke in it. The bedding was white and there were accents of blues and browns. Very nice. We went exploring after getting settled and ran into a maid. I introduced myself to her and she told me ger name was Carmin. She was not my maid but she said "Hola Wendy" everytime she saw me all week! Mildrl was my maid and we left her goodies and two American dollars everyday. I left her a note with the items stating that it was a gift for her, this is neccessary for security purposes. If I wanted extra pop I would leave it with the note and we always got what we needed. She also made designs with the blanket at the end of the bed. Se also greeted me by name all week. They must have great memories as there are a lot of people around. We had hot water everyday and there was a power outage on Wed. We were not there all day so it was less than a half an hour for us. I went to the desk and they told me that it was being repaired. Good enough for me I am in no hurry I'm on vacation!!!
When we went exploring( looking for the bar :) we were approached by Miguel of the green shirt. Beware he will tell you he is promoting the resort and will want you to go to a meeting with him. We flat out asked him if it was timeshare he said no. We said ok but tomorrow as we just arrived. Come to find out on Tuesday from a rep that he was timeshare so he kept hounding us. We finally told him that we will not go as we do not like being lied to. This came after an experiens on the beach with Lifestyle resort hounds. The Viva wyndmn resort is closed right now for refurb, It has white beds and curtains, banners etc are very inviting to the left of the Grand Paradise on the beach. we went on Tues. and then when we get there of course they told us that they would show us the resort for the future. We said we want only to stay 10 min as I want to shop at the orange market. Come to find out accidentally from another rep that jeep was coming to pick us up to take us to a resort 25 min away. We got up and left- none to pleased Candy ran after us explaining that he gets commision- sorry not interested. Be Aware.
Food- There was so much to eat for all tastes at the buffet. It was hot when required and also cold as required. We tried many new things and were excited everyday. The rum and rasin icecream that I did not discover until Sat. It was so good. I can't say that I liked 100% of everything I tried but there was so much to try. We ate like kings all week. Great staff and clean tables. It was delightful! Have the french toast sooo good! All steak, pork and chicken was too! The buffet did get busier on the weekend when Dominican families came in but no problems with line ups or anything. Everyone seemed to enjoy themselves and I did not hear of anyone getting sick ever. They did want us to use sanitizer a couple of times. No problem. Nobody was fall down drunk either.
We did not take part in any activities or use the pool as we liked the beach more! Very clean and there were always plenty of loungers. The resort wasn't crowded at all. We brought our own towels and I am glad we did- towels were a little grungy looking and I didn't want to have to pay if it went missing so I put the cards in the safe. Oh get the safe its only 20 dollars for the week well worth piece of mind. The beach bar was great, there was one guy that knew our names and took care of us all week.Music was really loud by the pool but only till 11 we were too tired to care most nights.
If you go to the orange market be aware that they are extremely pushy. there are so many shops and all have the same things. We did not bring money the first day as we were exploring- that was ok they will give you the stuff on credit !! You are Canadian so you are honest they say! Very trusting people. Make sure you barter hard! Take a pen and paper to write down who you owe. Very important! We walked the 3-5 klm many many times over the week and made friends with several vendors who were great. Antonio #22 was the greatest, we bartered and traded for items with canadian hats, baseballs and razors etc. Ariel is # 17 and he is a sweetheart. We went again on Sunday and most were closed, he went into another shop to find me a v neck t. Also there is Richard he looks abou 15 and has a great smile. Can't remember his # but please see all of these guys, many others are quite smarmy and you will have a whole lot of new family lol! Please say high from Wendy and James from Canada! Also see China - pronounced Cheena- my husband left behind a couple of paintings in favor of his bubbakeg of beer and she found then for us and kept them till we came back. She wouldn't take a reward so we purchased something.

Great resort and we are going back! Good value and if you expect the worst there will be no pleasing you at all! As they say in the Dominican -Don't worry beeee Happy! We were!

manchester
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

We are regukar visitors to the dom.rep and this was the worst hotel we have ever stayed in.We had days of not having hot water but were considered lucky by some guestsbto have had any kind of water. We complained to the management and was told that was a regular occurrance and was quite normal. We have been to the dom rep 12 times. This was new to us. Dirty beach towels were handed out and we found human excrement on one of ours, maybe that could have come from a guest who was unable to get a bath towel (another problem) and had to use a beach towel instead. The food was kept at a cool temperature, no wonder there were lots of people with upset stomachs. Nothing special about the speciality restaurants, better choice in the main Buffet which is more li9ke a works canteen.

Room Tip: Dont bother
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Grand Paradise Playa Dorada? Share your experiences!