“We Return again” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Paradise Playa Dorada

You added Grand Paradise Playa Dorada to your Saves list
Grand Paradise Playa Dorada
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Complejo Playa Dorada | P.O. Box 337, Puerto Plata 332, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #9 of 44 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Halifax, Canada
“We Return again”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012

We are a couple who stayed here for 2 weeks Feb 27-March 12th. This was our forth time here. Our last visit was in 2010.This is our favorite resort and will return here again.While saying that we felt in 2010 we got better value for our money.In 2010 they had coffeemaker in the rooms. We liked coffee in our room especially on morning my husband went golfing because there was nowhere you could get coffee before 7 am as we often went to the golf course before that.We always found the food to be good but in 2010 we felt that they offered more. We never saw bacon in 2 weeks ,French fries were only 2 or 3 times a week. We were not offer a welcome drink like other times. also they used to have a weekly manager cocktail parties. We did enjoy the cappincino at the pool bar after 10:30 am. We thought the Front desk ws very good. Since we are returning guests they upgraded us to an oceanview room in building 16 . {where we wanted to be}We really liked our cleaning lady Midie. She keep our room very clean and our fridge always had water & pop. We miss Alan at sinners bar.We still believe Paradise has the beach and restaurant. It was great to eat by the ocean and look at the beautiful view.we are looking forward to our next visit.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (358)
Manila, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2012

place was fun and full of young adults. bartenders were nice, service and food was good. rooms were clean. the resort was close to the mall where you can purchase day tours which is cheaper than what the hotel charges. lots to do at the resort, and walking distance to the clubs outside the resort which is safe. locals are very friendly and will party with you.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Dorval, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012 via mobile

Our first visit to Puerto Plata read lots of reviews and decided on Grand Paradise. We made the best decision good staff, food was better than could be expected as I am very picky eater always found too much to eat! Room was acceptable, grounds very well kept, weather was hot with a breeze the beach was excellent as was the pool area, if I had to choose 1 negative thing it would be the drinks, stick to beer,wine,Irish coffee,and simple mixes. Been to Punta Cana and La Romana but enjoyed This vacation the best. Would go back again.

Stayed March 2012
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

First off, I went with my 2 friends. I'm from Toronto, Ontario. My room didn't have a balcony. Second they serve the same food everyday, with some differences here and there. The quality of food was at best a 2.5/5. Thirdly and here's the kicker they water down the alcohol. I hardly drink, maybe once in 3 weeks on average I'd say. However, when I do drink I want good quality alcohol. I figured out we had to tip the bartenders before they would give us real alcohol. And to top it off they don't allow people from other resorts inside the resort.
And this one really pissed me off, they only give you one key card per room regardless if there's 2 people staying in the room. So you have to stay in constant contact with your friend to use the key.
We checked out other resorts and we found that Barcelo was the best one in Playa dorada. I give this resort a 2/5. If you're old and boring. Not planning on having much fun then GRAND PARADISE IN PLAYA DORADA IS FOR YOU OTHERWISE GO TO BARCELO.

• Stayed March 2012
Mount Forest, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2012

We just came back from our vacation at the Grand Paradise.
I asked for an ocean view and ended up with a suite (overlooking the pool and ocean in the background) - which was great for the 4 of us.
Kids had their own room (1 slept on a made up bed and the other on a sofa) but it worked great.
The food was amazing, the resort was beautiful, the staff was great.
I was a little apprehensive based on the reviews I read- they were wrong.
Definitely a great resort and I would definitely return!!!

Jewells.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Manchester, New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2012

It's almost been a year since I vacationed at this resort and I'm writing now to give my opinion after seeing such terrible reviews.

The hotel: The grounds are really beautiful and covered in green grass, plants, and gorgeous gardens. There were a few dirty areas, like near garbage bins and service areas. The lobby was breathtaking when we first arrived. It is all open and very breezy. Pool area was a little crowded. Some people would "reserve" a spot by leaving all of their junk on the chairs and leaving for the day. So this made it a little challenging finding enough chairs to sit together. Beach was nice. A little dirty but the beautiful views and clear water made up for it. Snorkeling in front of the resort was lame but if you walked right down the beach a little was really great. Tip: bring a banana from breakfast, it attracts a lot of fish.

Our room: We stayed in building five in a "superior" room. My sister and I stayed in the apartment like rooms above my mother and her friend. These were separated by a small spiral staircase. It was great having quick access to each others rooms. The rooms looked newly renovated. Bright, fresh paint and modern art work. Although, our upstairs room had no balcony. The bathroom in the upstairs room was very large. We had no problems with hot water, leaks, or cleanliness. We would shower at random times throughout the day and always had hot water. Mini fridge was always refilled with two sodas and a gallon of water(used for brushing teeth and drinking). One day we didn't receive new sodas so we asked and by the time we returned to our room they were cool and in the fridge.

Service: Our first room was a disaster. It was on ground level and right next to the pool/bar area. When we arrived their was loud music and people. The room was nice, but small. We asked if they could move us and they came to our room within 20 minutes with a few card keys to other rooms. Once we found the rooms we liked they helped us move all of our luggage to the new rooms, which was up two flights of stairs. The gentlemen did this with a smile on his face and was genuinely happy when he got a little tip. They women at the front desk was nothing but helpful and kind. She answered all our questions happily. Servers and bartenders could use a little work, but this isn't their fault exactly. At some points they were waiting on 15+ tables. So what is you had to wait 5 minutes for a drink when they served it with a smile and apologized for the wait. Bartenders always seemed too busy to be friendly, but again, not their fault really.

Food: It was alright. I didn't starve and I wasn't blown away either. Breakfast was really great and I've never had such fresh fruit in my life. they had the basics; eggs, cereal, pasta, rice, soups salads. The menu changed daily, so some days were great while others were just alright. Not a lot of flavor in some things so hot sauce went on a lot of what I ate. You eat your meals yards away from the beautiful ocean water. Alcoholic drinks were quite strong but still delicious. Never had to wait longer then a few minutes for a drink.

Getting sick: I have a HUGE history of intestinal issues and I didn't get sick. And I'm talking "I had my large intestine completely removed" kinda issues. I sometimes can't eat a piece of toast without getting sick and I ate everything there without a problem. I did bring my pepto bismol, gas pills, and antibiotics to be safe. I had no issues what so ever on my trip. Maybe I was just lucky or went at the right time or whatever, but if I could eat the food and survive then it must be okay.

Some useful tips: If you plan on doing excursions I recommend walking to the plaza outside the resort to get a better deal. We met with a young man in the resort and his prices were really high and would tell you anything to get you to go on the trips. My friend asked if the boat ride was dangerous and could she fall out of the boat and he answered "yes, very fun". He just wants to sell you the package.

We went to Murdar(spelling?) located somewhere in the shopping plaza and got two trips, the paradise beach snorkeling and the safari ride/waterfalls for 80 bucks all together. Paradise snorkeling trip was great, but be prepared for a 2+hour cramped bus ride there and back. I got so car sick and the guy in front of my had to stop twice to be sick. Safari trip was amazing, got to see everything outside of the resort with a great tour guide.

Overall it was a great trip. While I was there I kept saying I wanted to go back next year, but my family wants to try a different resort in DR. Without expecting too much I had a great time and would happily go back.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Oconomowoc, Wisconsin, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012

A week before leaving for the trip, we e-mailed the resort and asked about ground transportation from the airport. They arranged for a car to meet us. They had a sign with our name on it. It was $35 US and worth it. When we arrived, RCI had arranged for a person to meet us at the door. He showed us the VIP lounge and the person there had all of our check in paperwork ready to go. Then the person who met us took us on a tour and showed us were everything was. We paid $20 US for a lock for the safe in the room. The piece of mind was worth it.

The first room we had was in Building #19 and the view was of the toilets on the side of the pool bar. So, the next day we requested a room change. They moved us to Building #17 over looking the tennis courts, much better. I noticed that even though some of the noise from the pool area did come through the room door, it was not heard in the bedroom (nice and quiet). The room was clean and well kept by our maid Mildred. We did tip her $1 per day and talked with her when we saw her (made friends with her) and she left little designs on our bed, nice little touch. We always had water and soda in the room. When I spild a drink in the room, Mildred was close by and did not hesitate to help clean it up. There must be only on set of towels for each room because they picked up the towels when we were at breakfast, wahed them and brought them back clean in the afternoon. Toilet paper does have to be thrown in the trash instead of flushed. But the is a 3rd world country.

The food at the buffet was good. Not 5 star great or the mother made it, but good. If you want thing to be like they are at home, stay home. I saw that there was spaghetti available at lunch and supper. So, I thought that would be my go to meal if the other food was not good. I ate spaghetti only the last meal there, not because I had to, but because I had not had it yet. NO ONE GOT SICK. People enjoyed what they were eating. However, the fish was only cook half way through, so check it before eating it. The French Toast at breakfeast was great. Staff were always taking down used tables and setting up new ones. If you get there for the second setting you will get a paper napkin instead of cloth. There does not appear to be enough cloth naplins for all settings. Staff in the buffet work very hard. The same staff at breakfeast is the same staff at lunch and supper and they only get one day off per week. We noticed this and complamented the main supervisor. From then on staff made sure we had the table we wanted, our drinks came faster,etc. Coincidence, maybe. But find the good things people do. It goes a long way. Bar staff always took everyone in order. No preference for the locals was noticed on the weekend.

The beach was great. Get your towel out to reserve a chair. We brought our own for this purpose and had no trouble with anything being stolen. Yes, there are quiet a few venders. But be nice and say no thank you and, except for one, they move on. If I was sleeping or predending to sleep, they would say what they had but did not try to wake me.

Entertainment was, except for one guitar player, not real good. But have another drink and they get better.

Staff like to have fun at their job. We only speak a few words of Spanish. But they taugh us some new words and loved it when we used them. The more we tried to speak Spanish, the more they made an effort to use their English. If you feel these people are your servants, you will have problems. This is their country! If you treat them nicely and try to fit in, everyone has fun.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Grand Paradise Playa Dorada? Share your experiences!