“just terrible” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Puerto Plata Beach Resort

Save Saved
You added Puerto Plata Beach Resort to your Saves list
Puerto Plata Beach Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Ave. General Gregorio Luperon | Malecon (city boardwalk), Puerto Plata 07393, Dominican Republic (Formerly Puerto Plata Beach Club & Casino)   |
Ranked #23 of 43 hotels in Puerto Plata
Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic
“just terrible”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

what do those people think to rent something like that. I also have water leaking from the ceiling in the bathroom. I think its not the first time, and you can see a big mold spot there. 2 maintains people came to look at it. saying that it would not com from my apartment, maybe in the apartment above mine and they would check. so nothing happended so far its already 12 pm. They have a rule that nobody can enter the apartment when the renter is not there. what about emergencies? But the cleaning ladys knocked on the door and in the next 2 seconds they wanted to enter the apartment. I had this no disturb sign on the door which was now on the oppisite site meaning they can clean. I asked them who did that, well one cleaninglady did that. Also the housemanager or whatever it is, knocks on the door and in the next 2 seconds the door opens.
They promised me today they would put me in another apartment, will see what happens.
Also no plates, cups nothing.The draws from the dresser you cannot open.
I really recommend not staying even one night there. There are enoght other apartments out there.

Room Tip: Groundfloor apartments are just getting all the car and motobike exhaust.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

38 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Weston, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

This place was amazing! Mind you it's not one of the newer resorts, but there is a grandeur here that you only find in a more established place. We were here 6 years ago and the place was kind of run down but the price was right. We decided to return this year and boy are we glad we did!! There is a new owner and the renovations are everywhere. New restaurant, bar, gym etc. and the staff is so nice. They really go out of their way to make sure you are happy. My kids also had a great time. The concierge organized tours for us that we also enjoyed. Its the kind of place you want to keep coming back to- low key, safe, and easy on the budget. Just what we were looking for!

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Edwards, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

I had an amazing experience and I'm already planning to return in October! My suite was beautiful, two large rooms, vaulted ceilings and nice patio. Huge clean pool with a poolside bar. The staff when above & beyond to accommodate my needs. I felt very safe and welcome here. I spent a lot of time at the Kite Bar which is directly across the street. The GM of Puerto Plata Beach Club even hosted a BBQ at the Kite Bar one night during my stay! I've made some life long friends and I can't wait to return in October!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2012

I have been renting an apartment at the complex for more than a month and overall am extremely satisfied. The price is very reasonable and the location is wonderful on the malecon across the road from the kite boarding beach where there is often a good breeze. I like to swim laps and the complex has a very large pool which is hard to find in the DR, so that is a huge plus for me. Yes, sometimes a bit of water drips in through the roof in heavy rain (my apartment is in the roof), sometimes the cable TV has a few glitches, the the wi-fi is spotty, but I have my own prepaid Internet from Claro which works very well, so that is probably the way to go if you need a reliable Internet connection for business or whatever. For a couple of weeks there was no hot water, but that seems to be fixed now and it is often scalding, so you have to be careful of that. Staff are very helpful and friendly, though don't always have great memories. Hey, this is the Dominican Republic and you have to compare like with like. If I could find a better place in the area to rent an apartment within the same price range, then I would move, but I don't know of one. I have certainly seen plenty of places a lot worse. If you could find an apartment in the US in a location of similar quality, it would cost the earth.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Darlington, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

This place is not up to European standards. There are infrastructure problems everywhere.
Raw sewerage can be smelled at poolside. There is water leaking from our ceiling in the bathroom. Water is leaking under the kitchen sink and under the wash basin in the bathroom.There are lots of tiny mosquitos that leave nasty bites. The WI-FI doesn't work inside the apartment so I have to step onto the balcony to get a signal. The TV cable has worked about half the time we are here. Lots of empty promises are offered and there are lots of unhappy renters here. This place is not ready for prime time.
EK

Room Tip: Choose a renovated room.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Trenton, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2011

The place is under new ownership, the owner is non- caring and just after your money. We were robbed, and friends of ours from Niagara Falls Canada were also robbed a few days later. In my room they broke in the door, when we were at the beach, our friends, they came through the bath room window. When our friends from N F approached the owner, he told us to go somewhere else in very foul language. They are trying to fix the place up, and are certainly charging you a expensive room rate. They are planning to sell of the condos, so they certainly don't want to hear your complaints I have been traveling to Puerto Plata for 10 years now with my wife, we will never stay in that resort again. Heed my warning or find out for yourself.

Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Gibbons, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2011

This hotel is under complete renovation which causes a few small disturbances. Our suite was clean, freshly painted with new ceiling fans and the air conditioner worked well.

The pool is amazing and beautiful. The hotel reception staff spoke and understood english.

The hotel is within walking distance of a major shopping center kind of like walmart wiith everything you need to enjoy a holiday.

Restaurants are not finished yet but they do have a small cafeteria

All in all it was a pleasant experience

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Puerto Plata Beach Resort? Share your experiences!