“Poor place to stay” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Puerto Plata Beach Resort

You added Puerto Plata Beach Resort to your Saves list
Puerto Plata Beach Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Ave. General Gregorio Luperon | Malecon (city boardwalk), Puerto Plata 07393, Dominican Republic (Formerly Puerto Plata Beach Club & Casino)   |
Ranked #25 of 44 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Trenton, Canada
“Poor place to stay”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2011

The place is under new ownership, the owner is non- caring and just after your money. We were robbed, and friends of ours from Niagara Falls Canada were also robbed a few days later. In my room they broke in the door, when we were at the beach, our friends, they came through the bath room window. When our friends from N F approached the owner, he told us to go somewhere else in very foul language. They are trying to fix the place up, and are certainly charging you a expensive room rate. They are planning to sell of the condos, so they certainly don't want to hear your complaints I have been traveling to Puerto Plata for 10 years now with my wife, we will never stay in that resort again. Heed my warning or find out for yourself.

Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Gibbons, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2011

This hotel is under complete renovation which causes a few small disturbances. Our suite was clean, freshly painted with new ceiling fans and the air conditioner worked well.

The pool is amazing and beautiful. The hotel reception staff spoke and understood english.

The hotel is within walking distance of a major shopping center kind of like walmart wiith everything you need to enjoy a holiday.

Restaurants are not finished yet but they do have a small cafeteria

All in all it was a pleasant experience

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Pine Valley, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2011

This review would be higher except for one thing: when I checked in, the night clerk offered me a "special" rate for the room that I later discovered to be the rate for two people occupying instead of one [I was travelling solo]. The rate sheet was very confusing, and stated the prices only in US dollars, which I had to pay in cash because the hotel's credit card facility was not yet up and running [this was at the end of February 2011; the hotel is apparently under new ownership and undergoing major renovations after some years of inattention and hard times]. The receipt written out by the night clerk, however, was in Dominican pesos, and stated the amount for a single person staying. [I did not check the peso amount against the amount I paid in dollars, as it was late at night and I had no calculator.] While chatting with the morning receptionist the next morning, I discovered that I had been charged the double-occupancy rate,and I asked why that was; the morning receptionist didn't know, and of course had only my word that I had paid the double-occupancy rate. She contacted the night clerk by phone, who denied receiving the larger amount. Since I had no documentation to prove my case, I let the matter go.
Otherwise, the hotel is clean, attractive, well-located right on Puerto Plata's boardwalk, quiet, rooms VERY spacious, although under-furnished, beautiful pool, free wi-fi in lobby area, very attractive cafe & bar areas. I wish them well; but they obviously need to monitor their staff and create a billing/check-in system that protects the clientele.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
Roch_Labelle, Manager at Puerto Plata Beach Resort, responded to this review, May 3, 2011
Dear valued members of the Trip Advisor traveling community

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent experience at the Puerto Plata Beach Club & Casino. After reviewing the incident we concluded that the special introductory rate of 54USD single or double (plus tax) was correct and the receipt handed out was accurate.

Our experience shows that travelers coming from abroad prefer being quoted in USD currency although the legal tender in the DR is the Dominican Pesos (DOP).

Following concerns from visitors about the clarity of the rate sheets handed out at the resort we are happy to report that those have been removed and replace with a single sign promoting a year round flat rate starting at 69USD for up to four person, plus tax.

We are also happy to report that the hotel received its credit card affiliation and visitors are now able to settle with Visa or Master Card (AMEX affiliation still pending) as well as cash or travelers checks.

We regret any confusion guests might experience at the resort and the negative impact this might have on the property and management and remain thankful for the opportunity to improve on our services.

Sincerely
The management at the PPBC
Brantford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2007

This was my second time to the resort. The hotel needs some work but everything else was great. The Staff were so helful i really enjoyed my stay I am going back in june

Stayed January 2007
Syracuse, NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2006

Well, we won't forget this place, that's for sure! This hotel is filthy. The electricity went off sporadically during the day as did the water (we were told they needed to conserve so only put the water pump on certain times during the day.) The towels were ripped and frayed (when we got them). There were a couple of days when no towels were available and thankfully we had brought beach towels from home. Very musty, lamps were missing bulbs, sheets were not clean, mold growing in the bathtub. Fortunately, we also had the experience of staying at a cleaner, more comfortable resort so we did not leave the Dominican thinking that this represented their hospitality.

• Stayed March 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2005

my friends and i just went here for one week. when we got there we were a little upset with the hotel,but it soon changed. we had a nice room it was a superior room and it had 2 floors and 3 beds which was a nice surprise. it does look like an older hotel but its still really nice.
The food was very good.There was alot of us who went on this trip and not one of us got sick from the food. There was alot of options every night for dinner,something for everyone. We also really enjoyed the breakfast and lunch. The staff was really good about looking after you during dinner. Your dirty dishes were taken away right after you were finished so the area was always clean. The waiters and bar tenders were very very friendly. We did notice that if you tipped the bartenders you got special treatment. We did this and got better glasses and service. They would also make up a whole tray of drinks for you before the bar closed,so you would have drinks for the rest of the night.
The crowd i went with was very young,so we didnt really enjoy the night entertainment. It was fun for us tho because the beach was very nice to be on at night, and there was also a bar very close by. The bar was very good,they played good music and it was only about a 4 minute walk. My friends and i didnt really enjoy the crazy moon disco that was attached to the hotel,but others seemed to like it.
The pool was very nice and relaxing,they had good music playing the whole time. They also had good music on the beach, which i didnt expect. The beach was awsome,very pretty.
Overall we had a great time. I was a little sketchy after reading some of the other reviews but all my friends and i had and awsome time,and i would go back.
Just a heads up tho, in the dominican you cant flush the toliet paper!

• Stayed January 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2005

Wow this is the first time i have been to an all inclusive and i don't have anything to compare this place too.............but i sure did have a GREAT time. Our room was very very clean, the cleaning staff did a wonderful job. We had freash clean towels everyday. The pool area was very nice, execpt that the pool was ice cold, but that didn't bother me cause i'd rather be in the ocean, which was amazing. The jacuzzi could have been a little warmer as well. The crappy thing about the pool area was trying to find a chair. People would put there towels on a few chairs and leave for 4 hours so no one else can sit on them. C'mon have some curtosy. The beach had white sand and the ocean was so blue. It was a little cool getting into it, but once u got use to it, you don't wanna come out.
The food, was alright, there was always a different theme everday and they tried to have different stuff. Breakfast was great....that eggman sure can make a hell of an omelette. The snack bar was good too when u wanted something quick. We ate at 2 a la carte restaurants, Michealangelo's....appetizers and soup were good...i had pasta, not so good. Edens on the other hand was much much better. The drink bars were wonderful, the bartenders made it so much fun and were so friendly. You gotta try a "Banana Mama" when u have 1 you'll be hooked. The entertainment crue were so friendly and outgoing. Wait until u met "Blackie"......he is a character. The disco Crazy Moon was good too, but it kinda sucked cause u have to pay for your drinks there which can be pricey. The casino on site isn't anything special.....but why would u wanna waste your time in there.
Overall we had a wonderful week and the weather was amazing.....i got the best tan ever!!!
Now that I have been on this all inclsuive I am hooked.

• Stayed February 2005

Been to Puerto Plata Beach Resort? Share your experiences!