“Good value for money” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Celuisma Tropical Playa Dorada

You added Celuisma Tropical Playa Dorada to your Saves list
Celuisma Tropical Playa Dorada
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Dorada, Puerto Plata 11111, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #21 of 42 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Pickering, Canada
“Good value for money”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

I spent a week at this resort in February 2013. Its greatest strength is its proximity to a beautiful beach. Our room was clearly one of the renovated ones--its decoration was a little austere, but it was very clean and the beds were comfortable. We got to see one of the non-renovated rooms on the last day, when we were allowed to use it after check out time. VERY glad we had been in a renovated one. The courtesy room had eye-searing bedspreads, and a cockroach in the bathtub.

In terms of the food, we were able to try all 4 of the theme restaurants, and ate at both the main buffet, and the lunchtime buffet at the beach. The food was pedestrian but adequate. I recommend avoiding beef--some of the chewiest meat I've ever been offered. The fish and chicken were generally good bets. There were many minor, amateurish problems, like running out of cups, rum, diet cola etc. I disagree with the reports of watered-down drinks. I found that everything I ordered had lots of fire in it! At least until they ran out of rum...

The staff were extremely variable in their attitude. Some were very friendly and accomodating, others reserved to the point of near hostility. Our lack of Spanish was likely one source of the problem...but surely anyone who works at this type of resort should be able to deal with English speakers. I got the sense that the employees' attitudes simply reflected their personalities. Evidence of a lack of training.

Most unpleasant were the constant appeals to buy stuff. On the beach we would get harassed every few minutes by someone with sunglasses or stuffed monkeys. And in the resort there were attempts to sell vacations, as well as tourist grot. I can't really fault the resort for the people on the beach, but I would have appreciated not being bothered on the grounds of the resort.

In all, we generally enjoyed our stay. The price was extremely reasonable, and we were tremendously lucky with the weather. We had the concierge book us a private tour of Puerto Plata, which was definitely a highlight of the trip (in spite of getting totally fleeced in some souvenir shops--make sure you negotiate!). But I don't think we'll go back.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
christmas island ,canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

This resort is abit run down,however the staff are wonderful,food was good,animation team were awesome,especially rabbet(Pedro) sexy beast!!if only i was a few yrs younger haha. The shows were very entertaining,funny.We were treated very well by all the staff!!To those who say the drinks are watered down,I THINK NOT!!at least ours were not!!All in all we had a blast and will return next year,maybe for 2 weeks 1 week is just not long enough!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Port of Spain, Trinidad
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

I have been to the Celuisma Tropical. First of all the food is horrible. The rooms are clean and very old. There is one pool . The beach is nice but rough. Locals come in and try to make you gamble when you are playing a friendly game of pool with your family. Well there is no bacon on mornings and the sausages are very hard. There is pasta everyday . The tours are amazing especially the one to Santiago and the cable carts . The country is amazing but not this hotel. My cousin doesn't drink soda when you ask for a fruit punch they mix it with sprite. The pool was clean . The jacuzzi was not all that warm . The staff is helpful. . But we made do and had a fun vacation. I will surely not be coming back here. My next vacation is in Curacao and I can wait . This is all for this review until next time we meet again Trip advisor folks . Bye!

• Stayed February 2013
montreal
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

We stayed at Celuisma Playa Dorada from Feb 22/2013 to March 1/2013 and let me tell you book somewhere else. There are no lamps in the room so the lighting is very low. There are no telephones or alarm clock's in the room either. They leave you 1 roll of toliet paper per day.
They knock on your door at around 8:30 in the morning to take the old towels and they bring you back the new ones at around 4:00 in the afternoon. I asked about this at the front desk and was told they have to wash and dry the towels and then they will give it back to you.
The first room we stayed in the balcony was looking over a swamp and the 2nd room we had there was no hair dryer and the shower dribbled water. The 2nd and third day we were there they were missing hamberger buns and french fries. The 2nd day we were there they did not have any rum at the bar on the beach and as there is only 2 bars that does not say alot.
On our last night there the bar near the lobby had no rum. There is not alot of food choice here and even though they have 4 a la carte restaurants only 2 open each day. The beach was beautiful but the waves are so high that alot of people were getting knocked off there feet.
This hotel is listed as a 3-1/2 star but it is more like a 2 star. Please listen to what everybody is saying in there reviews and book somewhere else you will have a better vacation.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

What happens to these people?
This is my second time at this hotel and still wonderful, beautiful and clean rooms, beautiful gardens, beautiful beach, animation excellent day and night.
The staff is friendly and helpful.
evelin, francisco, mini me, Joseph and all the entertainers kisses to all

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dartmouth, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

My partner and I stayed at the Celuisma Tropical Playa Dorada from March 5-12

We only paid $854.00 each which isn't too bad of a deal!!
The only points I would like to address are:
1. You get what you pay for
2. the rooms are old but clean
3. the Beach was our biggest dissapointment, (it's very dirty we only went in the ocean once)
4. People are "VERY" Friendly
5. Food was always the same everyday, and it was very salty

I would never return

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Winnipeg, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

This resort is garbage.
Water for your room in the hallway if your lucky.
Food was horrible.
Many people had the "bathroom vacation".
Renovations = Paint over the mold.
Entertainment at night is trash.
This hotel welcomes S Trip fools who wrecked the place and robbed the beach bar and generally served the underaged drinkers all day and night.
Depending on your length of stay, expect the same beach vendors everyday to bother you on the beach, with the cheap garbage they sell.
The beach is the beach and is the only thing that is good on this resort. Keep in mind the resort does not own the beach. The resort is horrible.
Staff members were always looking for handouts. Tipping is fine, and I have no problem with that, but they were begging to get something for nothing.
I would suggest you take a real good look at prices in comparison to Cuba or Mexico where you can get a much better hotel and stay and star rating than this over rated dump.
Don't even consider staying at this "hahahahha" resort. What a JOKE.

Room Tip: All rooms suck. No tips.