“Will I Return, Not Sure???” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Puerto Plata

Save Saved
You added Barcelo Puerto Plata to your Saves list
Barcelo Puerto Plata
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Playa Dorada | PO BOX 54, Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #15 of 43 hotels in Puerto Plata
Houston, Texas
“Will I Return, Not Sure???”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

My stay at the Barcelo Puerto Plata was from 5/18 thru 5/28/2013, this was my first visit to the DR and I was very excited. I got a very good deal for my 10 day stay that I just couldn't pass on. After arriving at the hotel I proceeded to the lobby where there were hundreds of "locals" waiting to check in along with myself, because I booked a Club Premium Jr. Suite I knew I would have priority check in, so I thought. I walked over to a desk in the lobby and asked the young lady where do the guests who booked club premium check in she pointed to the area where everyone else was checking in so I walked over and stood in line for quite a long time when I finally got to the desk the clerk quickly whisked me away to a bellman standing by who quickly took me to the Club Premium section to check in, hotel management needs to come up with a better way of this check in process, standing in line was not fun. The clerks at the "club premiun" section were very nice & polite and once I arrived there my check in was quick. I was assigned room 2304 which was away from buildings #16 & #17 which are the club premium section. The room was spacious, and I was satisfied until I opened the fridge and a roach came crawling out, there were these tiny black bugs all over the counter in the bathroom and the mini bar area, but I came prepared with my roach spray, and that was the end of the roach and tiny black bugs.

The Room #2304, came equipped with a mini fridge, coffee maker,small sink, microwave, utensils, cups, safe, blow dryer, iron & ironing board, stereo, dvd player, alarm clock, television, remote control, and a sitting area, robe & slippers. It was more than enough room for one person.

The buffett was a hit or miss on some days.
The Japanese resturant was good.
The Pizza resturant was good.
The Italian resturant not good.
The Mexican resturant not good.
The Beach resturant not good.
Room Service (there is a charge) so I didn't utilize this service.

There was a severe thunderstorm one day and several sections of the ceiling in my room started leaking, even on the bed, I informed the clerk at the club premium desk and I was moved to another room, this time #16101 (master suite) much better room. One more thing about room #2304 the sleeper sofa was filthy after seeing how filthy I never sat on it again. Internet service was good, I was able to get it in both rooms with no problems. The beds in both rooms were comfortable.

My overall stay was okay, the staff were very friendly and helpful. Will I return, probably not, being a travel agent and I travel often there are certain things I've become accustomed too, will I refer clients, not sure about that either.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Barcelopop, General Manager at Barcelo Puerto Plata, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear Guest,

We appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Barceló Puerto Plata on Tripadvisor! It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.
We will share your comments with our team, who we are certain will be encouraged by your remarks. The hotel continuously strives to meet your needs and expectation.
Once again, thank you for your comments. We hope to be able to welcome you again at Barceló Puerto Plata.

2,215 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (310)
  • Polish first
Oshawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

My wife and I spent two weeks at the Barcelo Resort in Puerto Plata (June 19 to July 3). (Here is my husband evaluation):
Weather: Raining from time to time, mainly in the afternoon. Temperature was mild for the time of year.

Property: well kept, clean, and attractive. The hotel is running half capacity. The western building were closed.

Our experience with:

Room – we were given a room on building 12. Buildings 10, 11 and 12, are larger with vast corridors and an open area inside with a lobby that invites conversation. The room we were given corresponded to our request (second floor, two beds). However, people (especially the youngsters) return from the disco or the night entertainment between 12:00 pm and 3:00 am and each group (usually drunk) takes the time to sit at the lobby and talk and scream so loud that it is impossible to sleep. So, if you are party person who do not mind the noise and go to sleep very late, this may be a good option for you. If you do not party or prefer to come to your room earlier and have a peaceful night of rest, stay away from these three buildings. After three nights, we have finally requested and received a room in building 15. Building 1, 2, 14 and 15 are much quieter.

Food – We tried the Mexican, Brazilian restaurants. Restaurants is a very personal issue. People have different tastes. We like Mexican, but what we found there was far from the real Mexican. We did not return. The Brazilian was better. We were there for two weeks and were allowed to have 6 dinners. All things considered, we have preferred the buffet at the general restaurant.

Internet – Internet is expensive. Tip: inside the resort, just behind the building #1 you find a rectangular pergola structure. From there you can access the internet of the Hotel Casa Colonial. The signal is weak, but for email and even for checking the internet it works.

The local Invasion – We have read some remarks about the presence of the local people who choose to spend time at the hotel. Our conviction is that this is their country and they are entitled as everybody else to be there. However, at the weekend they come in great number. In fact, the number exceeds the capacity of the buffet restaurant. It was so crowded that we had difficulty finding a place and above all to reach for some food. One tip: book your “a la carte” restaurant for Friday and especially Saturday night. So, you can avoid the weekend invasion.

We will return? Probably yes. For the price, it is worth.

My wife’s comments: I would return to this hotel. It is SPOTLESS, well maintained. One swimming pool (deep one) was slippery, but they fixed it on the same day! I liked everything, but the client's services. Checking in was very slow, as the check-out. But the worst is the Client's service where you book the restaurants. The young lady there is RUDE. We arrived 5 minutes before 9:00 am and she said "you have to wait". Next time I was waiting and needed a pen, she said (without even looking at me) "I am using my pen right now.” It seems that they have a shortage of pens. This young lady should NEVER be in the client's services.

Room Tip: Rooms on buildings 1,3, 14 15 are quieter and nicer. Air conditioner are quieter, has a bidet, showe...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Barcelopop, General Manager at Barcelo Puerto Plata, responded to this review, July 9, 2013

Riverview, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

The resort turned out to be a disappointment. The grounds of the resort were well manicured and the suite we stayed in was clean and very comfortable, but where the resort lacked and is in need of immediate attention is with their staff and food service. We stayed in the Club Premium area and I will say the server there was great, but he was one of the few. The desk staff was not overly helpful or informative and the priority seating they claim we were given for the restaurants was a joke. We could rarely get the time we wanted, even though we were booking days in advance. The food and the service at the Oriental restaurant was the worst of them all. I will say the pizza place food was not bad, but again the lone staff member was rude and left you with the feeling you were a bother. We dined at 3 of the other restaurants, but none were great and you felt like they did not want you there. Simple requests for things like getting a refill on a drink were met with frustrated looks from the staff.
I guess this is what we get for the low price payed, but the experience could have been much better if the staff seemed to care.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

We appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Barceló Puerto Plata on Tripadvisor! It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from our guest.
We would like to offer our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience that you have experienced.
At the same time you can feel assured that your comments helped us identify or focus on any possible deficiencies that may exist in our hotel and take whatever corrective actions may be necessary.
Once again, thank you for your comments. We deeply regret not having been able to fulfill your expectations in your stay.
Yours Sincerely,

Boca Raton, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

A nice friendly hotel found on Play Dorado. Casino, banking, and shopping is nearby. The staff are very helpful. It is a very nice family getaway. This all Inclusive has Italian, Japanese, and Mexican cuisine by reservation only. The buffet is a typical variety of foods. Something for everyone on the average healthy. A nice beach area. The evening shows are nice family entertainment.

Room Tip: Reservations for the different restaurant are needed a few days in advance.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Barcelopop, General Manager at Barcelo Puerto Plata, responded to this review, July 3, 2013

London, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

We finished off our hectic tour of the north coast in this resort, seeking a bit of rest and relaxation. What we got was rather disappointing from day one! We were first told to park our hired car 7 miles away upon arrival; having driven a good 3 hours from the mountains of Jarabacoa on the roughest pot-holed roads known to man, the last thing we wanted was discussion on where to leave our rather beaten and worn out mode of transportation! We argued our way out of such a suggestion only later to find that the hotel had run out of towels! The locals appeared in their abundance to enjoy their weekend break, leaving us with little choice to choose our reservation for dinner at one of the sought after a la carte restaurants- two were actually completely closed- and this too on a Saturday night! The icing on the cake was the daily $25 charge for wifi! Significant improvements needed here. The food was nice and there was plenty of variety; a shame so many of the staff were so rushed off their feet. More resources required and better organisation all round.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Barcelopop, General Manager at Barcelo Puerto Plata, responded to this review, June 26, 2013

London, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

We stayed in June 2013. The overall layout of the resort was pretty nice--rooms housed in separte buildings instead of one hotel. The room was outdated. Liked that all rooms had patios. Liked the large washroom, but did not appreciate tiny ants in the washroom. A la carte bookings were quite disappointing. Seafood restaurant: Seafood salad was a small plate of finely chopped tasteless seafood. The calamari looked and tasted like it was cooked hours earlier, and deep fried over and over. The Italian was also quite disappointing. The wait for the meal was really long, when it arrived, the codfish and shrimp cannoli tased horrible-it looked and tasted like mush. The buffet and Mexican restaurants were pretty good.The beach was nice, but filled with too many bothersome vendors. The most disappointing aspect was the fact that the daily pool games (about 3 times a day), and the nightly entertainment was conducted 95% in Spanish. There was little attempt at English translation. That defintelry took away from the understanding and enjoyment! The music at the disco was also 95% Spanish music. Would have been nice if other genres of music was also played. If my friends and I were pre warned about the lack of English, we probaably would have chosen elsewhere!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Barcelopop, General Manager at Barcelo Puerto Plata, responded to this review, June 24, 2013

Yours Sincerely,

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

We were there from 12th June to 19th June 2013.It is a very good resort to stay . We found the staff very hard working. They were very polite and eager to serve you. Some of them even remembered what you drank coffee or tea in the morning for breakfast and they will bring without asking. So we felt special and that was very nice. We found the buffet better than a la carte. Food was not bad at all. You will always find something good to eat. Greenery is so amazingly beautiful at this resort and is very well maintained. Check in and check out was very fast, our luggage was picked up on time when we were checking out.
I wish if servers and other staffs could speak more English .Fish was always with bones that made hard to eat. Room was good but they need better shower. Entertainment was not geared towards English speaking guests.In spite of all this we will still go back if we get a chance again JUST because of the Great People.
VJ

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Barcelopop, General Manager at Barcelo Puerto Plata, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to comment regarding your recent stay at Barceló Puerto Plata.
we are delighted to read that your expectations were met or exceeded and that you will return to us when you next visit at Barceló. Your feedback is invaluable and much appreciated, as it enables us to constantly monitor and improve the care and service we provide to our guests. I will share your comments with our team members!
I look forward to welcoming you back to Barceló Puerto Plata..

Hotel Director

Been to Barcelo Puerto Plata? Share your experiences!