“Great hotel and friendly staff” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Puerto Plata

You added Barcelo Puerto Plata to your Saves list
Barcelo Puerto Plata
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Playa Dorada | PO BOX 54, Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic   |
Special Offer
Early booking offer
Ranked #18 of 41 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Mansonville, Canada
“Great hotel and friendly staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

I just spent 2 weeks at that hotel. The food is excellent, the staff super friendly. Cecilia, Jose and Simon, are waiters at the bar at the reception. They are so funny and friendly. Carmen, another staff member is very nice. I usually change places every year, but am considering returning there next year!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Barcelopop, General Manager at Barcelo Puerto Plata, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Dear Guest,

Receive the warmest greetings from Barceló Puerto Plata. We would like to thank you for posting such a delighting comment and for having chosen us to spend your vacations. It is extremely rewarding to read we were able to provide you an excellent vacations and that we were able to fulfill all expectations.
Thank you for such encouraging and positive comments towards our staff and food ; it is very rewarding to read that our staff’s hospitality and friendliness really made a difference and enhanced your vacations. We are glad you enjoyed all activities.
On behalf of our staff, please know it was a pleasure to have served you and we are looking forward to providing you with another dreamy vacation.

Best Regards,

Hotel Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (333)
  • Polish first
Fall River, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

My husband and I just spent a week in Barcelo and we had a great time.
It,s only about 20 minutes from the airport, which is great.we really liked the
food,and the staff was very friendly and helpful,service was great! the beach was
fantastic and so was the pool! I realy enjoyed the events near the pool everyday.
the events were done by some great young men ,especially one by the name of
Edgar and also Juan aka Rayo Boc . 5 stars for them!
The entertainment at night was alot of fun too!

Room Tip: higher floors have better scenic views

Best Regards,

thunder bay
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

We have travelled all over the world and have been to many Caribbean resorts as well, so feel that we can offer you a fair review. We just got back from a week at Barcelo and think it is a very good resort in an excellent location. It is close to the airport and the actual city and is small enough that everything within the resort is handy as well.

Pros:
Spotlessly Clean - we can't imagine that people complain about the cleanliness. Staff were constantly cleaning the pool, manicuring the grounds, scrubbing the grout in the tiled walkways and picking up discarded cups/glasses etc. The trees were even tidied up after a major rainstorm. Yes the paint is rubbing off of the pool floor but it is very clean and well maintained and not a hazard at all.
Rooms - basic but have everything essential. Tv, hair dryer, iron/board, fridge and even a soap/shampoo/conditioner dispenser in the shower. Our beds were made up every time we napped and were turned down at night. 110 outlets were very handy. Fridge stocked with beer, pop, juice boxes and salty snacks.
Water - seemed clean although we never drink it. Pressure was definitely low during the dinner hours when everyone was showering, but that is to be expected. Bottled water was available everywhere and was no issue to obtain.
Food - exceptionally good. We only did 3 restaurants, Italian, Oriental and SeaFood. All were very tasty with nice presentation. Buffet was vast and had numerous options. ie: every morning you had egg choices, pancakes, french toast, meats, veg, fruits, cheeses, breads, pastries, cereals and yoghurts. Lunch and Dinner were similar with additional meat choices, pastas, rice dishes and fresh salad items. if you complain about the food, you certainly must be fussy because there was really nothing missing from the buffet at all.
Beach- large, very clean and great for swimming. Small reef to snorkel in, and very close to the resort. Yes there were 81 vendors walking the beach, but with a friendly "no thank you, have a nice day"...they always went away. We chatted with some (by choice) and found them to be very kind and interesting people....and normally I find vendors very irritating.
Grounds - lovely mangrove to walk through, well kept walkways and foliage. Very attractive and romantic. Lots of shaded areas at the beach and near the pool. Small lizards and lovely birds all over.
Pools - clean and large enough, with swim up bar. Enough activities and yet not too many that it was disturbing.
Staff- reasonably friendly and did not seem motivated by tips at all, which is nice.
Alcohol - top shelf liquor available. Drinks were plentiful and tasty.

Cons -
Accessibility - would be a bit tricky for someone in a wheelchair or with a walker because of the stairs to the a la cartes and the tightness between tables in the buffet. But otherwise the walkways are perfectly fine, as is the beach area. We carried our stroller up and down the stairs to our room with no problems.
Chairs - definitely an issue but only due to the rudeness of other guests who place towels over sunloungers that they are not using. Quite frustrating. Shame on them.

NOISE LEVEL - this is my one major beef. We were in building 10 and we might as well have been on the stage because the noise was overwhelming. We likely could have ignored the situation except that we had a 2 year old with us. Most buildings near the pool/ampitheatre area will be noisy and 10 also gets the noise from the resort behind. i would suggest avoiding it.

Overall - this is one of our favorite resorts and definitely our fave in Puerto Plata. It was clean, safe and fun but small and intimate. service was good, food was delicious and the location was superb.

Room Tip: avoid building 10. We were in 10212, on the 2nd floor (premium). It flooded badly during heavy rai...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to comment regarding your recent stay at Barceló Puerto Plata.
we are delighted to read that your expectations were met or exceeded and that you will return to us when you next visit at Barceló. Your feedback is invaluable and much appreciated, as it enables us to constantly monitor and improve the care and service we provide to our guests. I will share your comments with our team members!

Swinton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

My wife and i ,have stayed here for the last 6 years ,we have met many great friends over the years and they also keep returning ,we even got married here in 2010,everyone is very helpful( the bar men,the waiters and the cleaners )food is great,always something to eat here,the buffet is fine,Italian is great,Brazilian is great,Mexican is also great,never tried the seafood,the rooms are fine,people forget that the Dom rep is a up and coming country and that the stars are not the same as in there own country,the venders on the beach do come up to you,but a polite no thanks and they walk off,and most of the time they leave you alone,you have to remember they are only doing there job.hope to be back again

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Thunder Bay
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

resort is tired and needs some sprucing up...the food was good as were the restaurants...the beach was great except for the vendors...they are extremely annoying...but they leave you alone once you say no thanks...what seems odd to me is that the vendors seem to be only at the Barcelo...we walked the beach daily and they seem to be only located at the Barcelo...the ground of the resort are wonderful...many small buildings surround a central courtyard and pool area...we didn't seem to have a problem getting beach or pool chairs but I don't think the resort was full...cable car and shopping tour were good though they could get rid of the rum factory which was a bottling plant only...5 minutes and done...waste of time...and 2 jewellry stores...not really necessary...all in all we had a good time and the price was right...I guess if you expect awesome food and pristine rooms you must pay for them...please Barcelo do something about the vendors...some guests I talked with will not go back because of this

Room Tip: we stayed in building 1...last room 1110...main floor...was like being in the jungle...looked out ov...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Barcelopop, General Manager at Barcelo Puerto Plata, responded to this review, February 20, 2013

Toronto
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

Overall, I had a decent experience at the Barcelo, but there were some areas that were so unacceptable, that I just couldn't justify giving the resort 3 stars.

PROS:
-Price is decent. We got a pretty good deal when we booked our trip, so I would say the value for what we spent was okay.
-Proximity to beach: it was nice being able to walk to the beach when we felt like it, but then still be really close to the room if we needed to go back. The beach itself is also pretty nice
-Food was pretty good. The buffet does get a little repetitive, but I didn't really mind it. Out of all the meals I ate at the buffet, breakfast was my least favourite. We went to the Brazilian, Mexican, and Oriental a la cartes- I enjoyed all of them, but I would say that the Oriental and Brazilian were my favourite. The pizza place was also pretty good and you don't need a reservation to eat there!

CONS:
-rooms were outdated and falling apart. We were fortunate enough (seriously) to have everything in our room working (TV worked, faucets were good, good water pressure in shower), but man, everything looked like it would break at any moment. The TV was very small and very old and sometimes all we would get was static- we found that hitting (yes, hitting) the TV over the top would sometimes make the static go away. The soap dispensers in the showers were broken and would ooze out shampoo on their own. I brought my own soap and shampoo so I never used the dispensers anyway, but it was gross to have dried bits of shampoo in the shower from the broken dispenser. There were also little ants and bugs infesting the bathroom sink. I assumed that they were coming in through the little window in the bathroom, which actually connected some sort of washing station for the maids to dump their old water from mopping the floors. The smell it produced was gross.
Even the sheets have a weird smell. We asked for our sheets to be changed on the 6th day of our trip (they don't encourage you to change your sheets everyday for environmental reasons), and I'm pretty sure the maid just re-used the old sheets anyway. Our balcony view was of an alley, and we fell asleep to the sounds of drunken yelling and dance music.
-Front desk not very helpful. I noticed that they did get nicer towards the end of our trip, but I noticed that a lot of the time in the beginning, they would talk amongst themselves as if I wasn't there. I didn't feel very welcomed and I felt like I was inconveniencing them by asking questions.
-Vendors on the beach. Although I understand that these men and women need to make a living and provide for their families, it does get tiring saying "no thank you" a dozen times in 20 minutes.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel ONLY if you intend on going on a lot of excursions and don't really care about where you're staying AND you get a really good deal. The pool and beach areas are nice, and the food is pretty good. BUT the rooms are very poor quality and that's where this hotel loses (many) points.

Room Tip: Avoid being anywhere near Coco Bongo - we were in Building 9 and I could not sleep when Coco Bongo w...
Dear Guest,

Please receive the warmest greetings from Barceló Puerto Plata. Thank you for sending along your comments as our guest’s experiences plays a key role in this continuous process. We would like to apologize for not completely fulfilling your expectations and we are deeply sorry for the inconveniences you encountered.
There are always different perceptions with the product and service offered by us; rest assured all these will be addressed to our management team in order to make the corrective changes.
We regret that your disappointment with so many areas of our resort, has been conveyed through this forum and not once on site to any of the Management members, we are very resourceful and would have gladly gone above and beyond to reformulate your experience in order to have you join the hundreds of extremely pleased and satisfied guests of Barcelo Puerto Plata.

We are looking forward to have the opportunity to serve you and most importantly be able to change your perception and regain your trust in our brand.
Yours Sincerely,

Gatineau, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Prestige Class- We were promised so much at booking GOT nothing The service was horrible- Customer Service was non existent!! They made you feel stupid and very incompetent! I have travelled to many places and this has to be the worst experience ever!! Not even tipping made for a friendly enviroment! I was totally shocked.....
The grounds are not amazing but pretty to look at and fairly clean. CHECK IN-FRONT DESK PRESTIGE- Upon our arrival it felt like we were inconveniencing the two ladies responsible for checking guests in. They were rude, arrogant and just did not care we were there. No Smile, No Welcome, they were just more interested in there own conversation in Spanish then there customers checking in. BELLHOP -This person was the only staff member in the entire week to show any kind of customer service. He brought our luggage and showed us to our room. He showed us how to work the door lock. “Someone who understands customer service” , which is a very rare thing at this hotel. THE ROOM - No Water TV did not work No welcome package AND we were PRESTIGE the room was dark... not bad if you are looking for this type of atmosphere... not great if you want to see anything. Perhaps this is why they do it... so you can't see how old everything is... The two double bed were not double beds... they are smaller, The bathroom OMG The toilet at least flushed and it appeared to be clean. The shower head was so old the water trickled out of it and needed to be replaced It finally was after 3 days and numerous phone calls to the front desk!... On the up side... we never ran out of hot water. The counter top was just like the shower... old and painted over several times, you could count the layers of paint by the areas that were chipped off, there is a safe it will cost you an extra $17.00 US dollars if you wish to use. The TV also really old- Thankfully the weather was beautiful so we had no use for it. FOOD - The buffet restaurant... they greet you at the door... that is where the service ends. Go find your own table; nobody will seat you.Once you find a place to sit maybe a server will stop by to offer to get you something to drink. To say that they had the same food over and over again would be an understatement. Variety is not a word that a person would use to describe the selection here. The a la carte restaurants were OK... but honestly they are more of a relief more then anything. DRINKS- Disappointment again... if you like blender drinks when you are on a sunny vacation... don't expect them here, they have a machine kind of like a slurpy machine at all their bars, and a press botton for coffee... One is a Pina Colda and the other is something like a strawberry daiquiri. They pour some rum into a plastic cup and then add their so called solution... within 30 seconds you have a liquid mess that doesn't taste like any blender drink you might be looking forward to. Otherwise their beer is el Presidente and it was always cold... Luckily they make rum in Puerto Plata so they kind of know what they are doing here.... but no credit goes to the hotel staff... they just pour it and hand it to you; No SMILES nothing.. It is the same from the beach staff. Always short on chairs; get there early if you want one. POOLS: they are kept very clean. DINNER RESERVATIONS - There is only one place and one person to make reservations for the a la carte restaurants...They really had no use for you what so ever.... We were more of a nuisance to them, then anything else. You can only book one day in advance; 3 girls behind the desk BUT only one take reservations...line up down the hall. The one good thing was they are a only a good break from the buffet that is about it...If there is one place to try IT would have to be the Oriental...Food Was OK!!! We tried going for Pizza one night we were told we did not need reservations BUT they refused us even though all there tables were empty..... Italian.... was a joke. They turned us away because my dad had shorts on BUT TO our surprise there were others already in the restaurant with SHORTS on....No communication or people skills..Once the attention was brought to those already in the restaurant with shorts they were asked to change into long pants....If they have a rule it should apply to everyone! This resort has alot of potential BUT without communication skills and a friendly enviroment....It is just a sad place to be!!!!! Thank GOD for GREAT weather,,,and GREAT company!
Get your monies worth Go somewhere else TRUST ME!!

Room Tip: Do not go Prestige ..... You will not get anything extra. :(
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

We appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Barceló Puerto Plata on Tripadvisor! It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from our guest.
We would like to offer our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience that you have experienced.
At the same time you can feel assured that your comments helped us identify or focus on any possible deficiencies that may exist in our hotel and take whatever corrective actions may be necessary.
Once again, thank you for your comments. We deeply regret not having been able to fulfill your expectations in your stay.
Yours Sincerely,

Hotel Director

Been to Barcelo Puerto Plata? Share your experiences!