“OK” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Puerto Plata

Save Saved
You added Barcelo Puerto Plata to your Saves list
Barcelo Puerto Plata
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Playa Dorada | PO BOX 54, Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #15 of 43 hotels in Puerto Plata
Toronto
“OK”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

Overall, I had a decent experience at the Barcelo, but there were some areas that were so unacceptable, that I just couldn't justify giving the resort 3 stars.

PROS:
-Price is decent. We got a pretty good deal when we booked our trip, so I would say the value for what we spent was okay.
-Proximity to beach: it was nice being able to walk to the beach when we felt like it, but then still be really close to the room if we needed to go back. The beach itself is also pretty nice
-Food was pretty good. The buffet does get a little repetitive, but I didn't really mind it. Out of all the meals I ate at the buffet, breakfast was my least favourite. We went to the Brazilian, Mexican, and Oriental a la cartes- I enjoyed all of them, but I would say that the Oriental and Brazilian were my favourite. The pizza place was also pretty good and you don't need a reservation to eat there!

CONS:
-rooms were outdated and falling apart. We were fortunate enough (seriously) to have everything in our room working (TV worked, faucets were good, good water pressure in shower), but man, everything looked like it would break at any moment. The TV was very small and very old and sometimes all we would get was static- we found that hitting (yes, hitting) the TV over the top would sometimes make the static go away. The soap dispensers in the showers were broken and would ooze out shampoo on their own. I brought my own soap and shampoo so I never used the dispensers anyway, but it was gross to have dried bits of shampoo in the shower from the broken dispenser. There were also little ants and bugs infesting the bathroom sink. I assumed that they were coming in through the little window in the bathroom, which actually connected some sort of washing station for the maids to dump their old water from mopping the floors. The smell it produced was gross.
Even the sheets have a weird smell. We asked for our sheets to be changed on the 6th day of our trip (they don't encourage you to change your sheets everyday for environmental reasons), and I'm pretty sure the maid just re-used the old sheets anyway. Our balcony view was of an alley, and we fell asleep to the sounds of drunken yelling and dance music.
-Front desk not very helpful. I noticed that they did get nicer towards the end of our trip, but I noticed that a lot of the time in the beginning, they would talk amongst themselves as if I wasn't there. I didn't feel very welcomed and I felt like I was inconveniencing them by asking questions.
-Vendors on the beach. Although I understand that these men and women need to make a living and provide for their families, it does get tiring saying "no thank you" a dozen times in 20 minutes.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel ONLY if you intend on going on a lot of excursions and don't really care about where you're staying AND you get a really good deal. The pool and beach areas are nice, and the food is pretty good. BUT the rooms are very poor quality and that's where this hotel loses (many) points.

Room Tip: Avoid being anywhere near Coco Bongo - we were in Building 9 and I could not sleep when Coco Bongo w...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Barcelopop, General Manager at Barcelo Puerto Plata, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Dear Guest,

Please receive the warmest greetings from Barceló Puerto Plata. Thank you for sending along your comments as our guest’s experiences plays a key role in this continuous process. We would like to apologize for not completely fulfilling your expectations and we are deeply sorry for the inconveniences you encountered.
There are always different perceptions with the product and service offered by us; rest assured all these will be addressed to our management team in order to make the corrective changes.
We regret that your disappointment with so many areas of our resort, has been conveyed through this forum and not once on site to any of the Management members, we are very resourceful and would have gladly gone above and beyond to reformulate your experience in order to have you join the hundreds of extremely pleased and satisfied guests of Barcelo Puerto Plata.

We are looking forward to have the opportunity to serve you and most importantly be able to change your perception and regain your trust in our brand.

2,217 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (310)
  • Polish first
Gatineau, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Prestige Class- We were promised so much at booking GOT nothing The service was horrible- Customer Service was non existent!! They made you feel stupid and very incompetent! I have travelled to many places and this has to be the worst experience ever!! Not even tipping made for a friendly enviroment! I was totally shocked.....
The grounds are not amazing but pretty to look at and fairly clean. CHECK IN-FRONT DESK PRESTIGE- Upon our arrival it felt like we were inconveniencing the two ladies responsible for checking guests in. They were rude, arrogant and just did not care we were there. No Smile, No Welcome, they were just more interested in there own conversation in Spanish then there customers checking in. BELLHOP -This person was the only staff member in the entire week to show any kind of customer service. He brought our luggage and showed us to our room. He showed us how to work the door lock. “Someone who understands customer service” , which is a very rare thing at this hotel. THE ROOM - No Water TV did not work No welcome package AND we were PRESTIGE the room was dark... not bad if you are looking for this type of atmosphere... not great if you want to see anything. Perhaps this is why they do it... so you can't see how old everything is... The two double bed were not double beds... they are smaller, The bathroom OMG The toilet at least flushed and it appeared to be clean. The shower head was so old the water trickled out of it and needed to be replaced It finally was after 3 days and numerous phone calls to the front desk!... On the up side... we never ran out of hot water. The counter top was just like the shower... old and painted over several times, you could count the layers of paint by the areas that were chipped off, there is a safe it will cost you an extra $17.00 US dollars if you wish to use. The TV also really old- Thankfully the weather was beautiful so we had no use for it. FOOD - The buffet restaurant... they greet you at the door... that is where the service ends. Go find your own table; nobody will seat you.Once you find a place to sit maybe a server will stop by to offer to get you something to drink. To say that they had the same food over and over again would be an understatement. Variety is not a word that a person would use to describe the selection here. The a la carte restaurants were OK... but honestly they are more of a relief more then anything. DRINKS- Disappointment again... if you like blender drinks when you are on a sunny vacation... don't expect them here, they have a machine kind of like a slurpy machine at all their bars, and a press botton for coffee... One is a Pina Colda and the other is something like a strawberry daiquiri. They pour some rum into a plastic cup and then add their so called solution... within 30 seconds you have a liquid mess that doesn't taste like any blender drink you might be looking forward to. Otherwise their beer is el Presidente and it was always cold... Luckily they make rum in Puerto Plata so they kind of know what they are doing here.... but no credit goes to the hotel staff... they just pour it and hand it to you; No SMILES nothing.. It is the same from the beach staff. Always short on chairs; get there early if you want one. POOLS: they are kept very clean. DINNER RESERVATIONS - There is only one place and one person to make reservations for the a la carte restaurants...They really had no use for you what so ever.... We were more of a nuisance to them, then anything else. You can only book one day in advance; 3 girls behind the desk BUT only one take reservations...line up down the hall. The one good thing was they are a only a good break from the buffet that is about it...If there is one place to try IT would have to be the Oriental...Food Was OK!!! We tried going for Pizza one night we were told we did not need reservations BUT they refused us even though all there tables were empty..... Italian.... was a joke. They turned us away because my dad had shorts on BUT TO our surprise there were others already in the restaurant with SHORTS on....No communication or people skills..Once the attention was brought to those already in the restaurant with shorts they were asked to change into long pants....If they have a rule it should apply to everyone! This resort has alot of potential BUT without communication skills and a friendly enviroment....It is just a sad place to be!!!!! Thank GOD for GREAT weather,,,and GREAT company!
Get your monies worth Go somewhere else TRUST ME!!

Room Tip: Do not go Prestige ..... You will not get anything extra. :(
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

We appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Barceló Puerto Plata on Tripadvisor! It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from our guest.
We would like to offer our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience that you have experienced.
At the same time you can feel assured that your comments helped us identify or focus on any possible deficiencies that may exist in our hotel and take whatever corrective actions may be necessary.
Once again, thank you for your comments. We deeply regret not having been able to fulfill your expectations in your stay.

Miami, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

The beginning of that song by Mariah Carey is what comes to my mind when I think of this hotel; the days of splendor of this facility are gone. I guess during the 80s or 90s this hotel looked great; nowadays is just a museum of those years. My wife and I got a superior room with partial view to the pool, and full view to the back of the hotel which is a construction area and forest, pretty ugly. Everything was old in the room, toilet faucets, TV set, door handle, pillows, you name it. I think even the shampoo they provided smells like those commonly used in every hotel during the 80s. Of course, that doesn't mean things don't work but...
The GOOD or acceptable:
- Waiters at the restaurant and bar are really nice and you can tell they work a lot.
- Food at the restaurant is acceptable; I ended up eating more than I thought I would.
- The beach is close by, you can walk.
- Nice shopping area; it has colonial style.
- Artists and showmen doing the shows every night really try to entertain.

The BAD:
- The workers at the front desk and costumer service; very bad attitude, it is like they want to make you feel like they are doing you a favor by letting you stay at the hotel.
- Our room wasn't cleaned for two days and when we complained the maid entered our room yelling at us like we were kids, and it was our fault the room was dirty !!!!!REALLY!!!! My wife had an argument with her and i just couldn't believe what i was witnessing. That woman was something....

I give two stars because of the workers you see are doing their job well, but there are reasons enough to give this hotel one star.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Ana Ruiz.
Ottawa Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

We visited Puerto Plata 5 times before but never at Playa Dorada so we tried it this year mainly for the beach witch is truly amazing... the bad part about this aspect of our trip is if you dont wake up at 7am you don't have a chair on the beach and to be honest is not all the Hotel's fault people would reserve seats at the beach in the morning but only came a few hours... this is riduculous... so if the hotel would have 150 more chairs it would help. Another thing it's true that they run out of beach towel every day so just bring your towel and you won't get that problem.
They also have vendors on the beach and i'm not talking about 10 vendors i'm talking about 80 persons asking you every 2 minutes in your face if you want to buy something that was very bizarre and disturbing. The service was difinitely not the best i got too little staff at the bars and the barmans did not seem to know their jobs especially the one in the lobby bar he never knew who to serve next and that became frustrating and even the tips did not make any difference.
We found the food good and we have no complain about this and as for the rooms they were ok and clean, it's true that they would need a little love but everything in our room
worked.

Room Tip: We were in building 15 and it was near the beach and quieter
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

We just returned from this resort and I am saddened to see all the negative reviews here.

To be fair when I am on vacation I do not expect the staff to be at my beck and call and the food to be gourmet. I have regular expectations of what different countries are providing.

I was travelling with two friends, one with food allergies (wheat, dairy etc) and another vegetarian and at no point did they complain about the lack of food. There was far more selection than I had ever seen at any resort and the food was as good as any buffet style meal would be.

Our room was very clean with a nice balcony and surprisingly very quiet. The TV had some good English channels and the fridge got stocked everyday with a bottle of water and some treats free of cost. The chambermaids were respectful that we did not need our room cleaned everyday and only would enter to restock the fridge and towels. Was the bed/bedding the most luxurious..no but it was a bed with pillows and that is all I need.

The service!!! I can not say enough about how polite the staff was. Perhaps these people with the negative opinion are the over privileged non tipping jerks that I had to stand beside at the bar/buffet everyday. The only negative part about our vacation was the other vacationers acting like spoiled brats and treating the staff like slaves.

The beach was very nice and on two occasions there were no chairs so security had a maintenance man get us some!!

The major highlight was the staff a few very wonderful people who need mentioning are Melvin at the disco bar..i can not imagine someone so friendly and fast!! he really made our trip the best!! Obama of the animation team was so great and helpful when we had questions..I wish I had gotten her name but the lady who opens the door at the buffet during breakfast and lunch was so friendly!!

I have worked in the service industry for over 15 years and never in my own country have I received such friendly accommodating service. At times I was mortified by the other tourists behavior but the staff just kept smiling! The service staff even taught me a lesson to bring home and use at my own bar...no matter how terrible a customer is acting just smile and everything will be awesome!!

We have a already planned to return in July and can not wait to see all the staff again!

Room Tip: Area number 5 is away from the pool and is very quiet. Good for sleeping!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

We appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Barceló Puerto Plata on Tripadvisor! It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.
We will share your comments with our team, who we are certain will be encouraged by your remarks. The hotel continuously strives to meet your needs and expectation.
Once again, thank you for your comments. We hope to be able to welcome you again at Barceló Puerto Plata.
Yours sincerely,

stratford
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

If you are still considering this hotel for a vacation - STOP NOW!!
Here are the details of this destination.. I will not call it a resort because that would be giving it too much credit.
It is difficult for me to rate this trip so poorly, as I always like to think positively about my time spent with my family. However I need to make sure that people are aware of what this place is like. Lets face it, we spend our time and money on vacations... we can always make more money... but you can't get back the time spent. My hope is that I can help ensure that some other family does not make the same mistake in choosing this place.

Here we go with the details... just in case you are still reading this and still considering going to Puerto Plata.

LOCATION: There are many other locations for "sun vacations" that are much better in terms of VALUE and QUALITY then Puerto Plata. The first impression we got from the drive from the airport to the hotel is "lack of pride" the general area is "dirty".

Hotel: First impression - I have to be fair here.. the grounds are not amazing... but they were clean.

CHECK IN / FRONT DESK: There will be a common theme here when I talk about service. Upon our arrival it appeared we were "inconveniencing" the two ladies responsible for checking guests in. They were not rude.. they just did not care we were there. No smile... No Welcome... they were just more interested in there own conversation... this should have been the "tip off" that we were not going to have a great vacation.

BELLHOP - Someone should give this guy a promotion!! This person was the only staff member in the entire week to show any kind of customer service. He brought our luggage and showed us to our room. He showed us how to work the door lock... as it did not work properly. He also ensured that our antique t.v. worked, he seemed relieved when it turned on. Lastly he realized that our family was going to require another bed to sleep on. (I will explain next) He stated that he would find another bed and have it set-up right away. To his word when we came back after lunch there it was, all made up. *** If management from the Barcelo is reading this... track down this staff member and seriously consider him for a management position... he understands customers service. A very rare trait at this hotel.

THE ROOM - Disaster!!! As mentioned earlier our door lock had issues.. the room was dark... not bad if you are looking for this type of atmosphere... not great if you want to see anything. Perhaps this is why they do it... so you can't see how old and decrepit everything is. Now I don't expect to have everything to the standards that we are fortunate to have in Canada... but I still have standards. The two "double beds" were well... not double beds... they are smaller then what are our standards are. This is why the bellhop was so kind to get us a third bed. He must have seen the horror in our children's eyes when they thought they were going to have to share such a small bed. The bathroom... if my photography skills were better I would post the picture of our bathroom... just so you could see what I mean. The only saving grace was that the toilet at least "appeared clean" The shower/bathtub was so beaten up. The shower head was so old the water trickled out of it... GOOD NEWS... we never ran out of hot water... not once!!!! The counter top was just like the shower... beaten up and was painted over at least three times.. you could count the layers of paint by the areas that were chipped off. Lastly we had ants... small as they were... there were plenty of them.
OK.. just a couple of more things about the room... there is a safe (it will cost you an extra $17.00 US dollars if you wish to use it) however it is so old I am not sure it is really "safe". The T.V. I mentioned is old as well... but we didn't care about this as we were not on a vacation to watch television.. thankfully the weather was beautiful so we were not in any need to have to use it.

I feel the need to say something positive here... the two pool were clean. Sorry but that is the extent of the good news. If you are still reading this ... PLEASE DO YOURSELF A FAVOUR - DO NOT GO HERE!! The rest is just negative... but I will provide more details.

FOOD - The buffet restaurant... they greet you at the door... that is where the service ends. Go find your own table, nobody will seat you.. promise. Once you find a place to sit..maybe a server will stop by to offer to get you something to drink.. don't expect to have them hurry to serve you though. The process of actually getting your food is ridiculous. They obviously never had anyone put any thought into "people flow" ... it is chaos. This would be liveable if the food was of any quality. To say that they had the same food over and over again would be an understatement. Variety is not a word that a person would use to describe the selection here.
The a la carte restaurants were OK... but honestly they are more of a relief then a delight.

DRINKS: Disappointment again... if you like "blender drinks" when you are on a sunny vacation... don't expect them here. You get better drinks from your local 7-11. That is actually what they have... they have a Slurpy machine at all their bars. One is a Pina Colda slurpy and the other is something like a strawberry daiquiri. They pour some rum into a plastic cup and then add their slurpy solution... within 30 seconds you have a liquid mess that doesn't taste like any blender drink you might be looking forward to. Otherwise their beer is el Presidente, it is cold and wet... will get you through the week. Luckily they make rum in Puerto Plata so they kind of know what they are doing here.... but no credit goes to the hotel... they just pour it and hand it to you.

BEACH / WATER SPORTS - Not much to rave about here... it is a smaller beach front.. always short on chairs.. get there early if you want one. Water sports are almost non-existent... hidden away from the main beach area... they really don't have any free activities to utilize.

POOLS: As mentioned earlier.. they are clean. That is it. There really isn't spectacular about either of the two pools.. they cool you off when you get hot.

OTHER NOTES:
TOWELS - When you get your towel in the morning.. you have to make sure you return it before 6:00pm if not.. you are stuck with it. Their rule is that if you want a clean towel you need to return it at the end of the day and get your card. In return you get a fresh one in the morning. You are not allowed to exchange during the day.. too bad if it gets wet or gets sandy.
DINNER RESERVATIONS - There is only one place / and one person to make reservations for the a la carte restaurants... and it is bizarre. You can only book for the next day. Convenient... nothing I like to do more then stand in line on my holidays to book reservations. (The older I get the fewer things in life I find are worth standing in line for... these restaurants really are not that special to spend a great deal of time waiting in line for... but they are a necessary break from the buffet)

That is it... PLEASE DO YOURSELF A FAVOUR AND DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME AND MONEY AT THIS HOTEL.

Room Tip: Do not go here!!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at Barcelo for a week April 2012..our friends came a few days after
Great location close to the airport.

All a la cartes were great, something for everyone..even the picky eater like myself!..the breads you get are amazing.
TRY THE PIZZA!!..I don't like pizza much but this was the best we had ever eaten!!

The bad reviews are nonsense...100%
Some people complain about small drinking cups..if you are a big drinker bring a large mug of your own..they will gladly fill it..
read the reviews they are helpful...but take them with a grain of salt...

The resort was great even though we had rain for the better part of our stay..the price was right at around $1000..

Visit Jesus at the bar near the stage..its usually not as busy and he makes a great drink!

***If you want a nice day away..there's a great market/shopping area about a half hour walk down the beach..once you hit the beach hang a left and keep on walking..you pass several resorts and a neat shark you can have your picture taken in..keep going! neat little market with lots of souvenirs.***

***FREE WI-FI..if you go through the resort "mall" area with the little shops and out that main exit..cross the street and go ever so slightly left..sort of just enough to get around the corner of the vh gran ventana resort sign..you will see a little cowboy style bar..(also behind that is the shopping centre with a pizza hut lol)..they offer free wifi at the cowboy bar which we found on our first night and used a few times to contact family back home!!..we just sat down and had a Presidente and they didn't mind..depending on the time of year they have sports playing on the tv's also..

Theres no 24hr bars but we just made sure to leave our fridge full for later at night!!

Beautiful resort..we will back back many times I'm sure over the years..

Room Tip: request the 3rd floor..I just enjoyed the beams in the ceiling..something nice to look at.. it was...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to comment regarding your recent stay at Barceló Puerto Plata.
we are delighted to read that your expectations were met or exceeded and that you will return to us when you next visit at Barceló. Your feedback is invaluable and much appreciated, as it enables us to constantly monitor and improve the care and service we provide to our guests. I will share your comments with our team members!
I look forward to welcoming you back to Barceló Puerto Plata..
Yours sincerely,

Hotel Director

Been to Barcelo Puerto Plata? Share your experiences!