“not your typical family hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Puerto Plata

You added Barcelo Puerto Plata to your Saves list
Barcelo Puerto Plata
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Playa Dorada | PO BOX 54, Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic   |
Special Offer
Up to 50% discount
Ranked #17 of 44 Hotels in Puerto Plata
winnipeg
“not your typical family hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

we went down for a last minute vacation to Barcelo because of the great deal we got. we went through many reviews and were very pleased about what people were saying about this resort. we had a great time there. the food was better than most 5 stars with the 6 al la carte rest. plus the buffet put on a good spread every night with the menu changing daily. the entertainment crew was fantastic putting on very good nightly shows and always trying to get people involved in the daily activities through out the day. the beach was very nice and you could always find a chair or shade when needed with a bar and grill right next to the beach to satisfy you through out the day.the only part you had to put up with was the vendors that walk up and down the beach every day hitting on you to buy. they were friendly but always coming back to try to sell to you. the pool area was nice but a little smaller for the size of the resort and number of rooms you would expect it to be quite larger. it did have one swim up bar which always had your regulars parking themselves for an hour or so mid day on the stools making it awkward at times to get in there for a drink. you should always get up before 9am to get a chair at the pool.
they have many sections of this resort different ratings. we were in the prestige section bldg. 10-12 I believe which was where I think you may want to be. this area is closer to the beach and next to the pool area which does not get the noise that the others got around the front and rear entrances which get the bar noise from coco bongo up until 6 am.
now the kicker, this hotel allows their patrons to bring in local girls from the community for the weekend or night to due their business which made my wife very uncomfortable. there were at least a half dozen girls through out our stay parading around with these guys. some of these girls are not even 18 yet the hotel turns a blind eye to this. I'll leave it at that and you can imagine the rest. but overall if you can get past that you will have a great time at this place. the bar and restaurant staff were very friendly and they were always there to get you anything you needed. the grounds were always kept clean and they were doing this all day. the hotel has security on site 24-7 and they were always around if and when needed.
So would we would would go back to this hotel if we got the same the same deal. I think we would definitely try it again since we do not have kids that travel with us.

Room Tip: try to get closer the beach and pool area which would be the prestige section. building 10-12. we st...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Barcelopop, General Manager at Barcelo Puerto Plata, responded to this review, January 19, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our hotel.

We really appreciate your comments, we have taken note and we will consider it to help us for continue to improve our services. Our main goal is to serve all our guests with the highest level of service and satisfaction to which we assure you return stay.

Please feel free to contact myself directly if you are travelling to Puerto Plata again so it will be a pleasure for us to have you as our guest again. We will work to make you enjoy your vacations.

Once again please accept my thanks and I hope that the remainder of your trip to Barcelo Puerto Plata be most enjoyable.

Directora Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (380)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Mississauga, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

this was my first vacation going anywhere and first time going with my boyfriend.... i thought i was going somewhere clean, with good customer service and good food ,... ya right it was horrible and im not over exaggerating. im not a picky person at all but going to a place that has dirty rooms insects all over and horrible food is not acceptable.

the toilet doesnt work theres was no cold water they dont change your bed sheets, pillow casses or covers and it takes them hours to get to your room to fix something and it doesnt even get fixed, the food was disgusting it looked like it was a couple days old they know nothing about cooking all i had to eat there was french fries and bread. you can never book for a la carts cuz they are rarely open and if you do you have to book a day in advance and most of the time its full...you cant relax on the beach because you have people hounding you to buy stuff off of them and they all have the same thing and if you say NO trust me they wont leave you alone... even at the pool you have people coming up to you and asking you to buy stuff. the pools are dirty i dont think they ever clean them and youd be lucky if you get a place to sit let alone a towel. the place is filled with locals vacationing there and they are all young and loud ... good luck relaxing ...

if you want to go on a nice clean relaxing vacation DONT GO TO BARCELO

Room Tip: upgrade but you still have to pay 60 bucks a night
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Barcelopop, General Manager at Barcelo Puerto Plata, responded to this review, January 17, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our hotel.

We really appreciate your feedback, we have taken note and we will consider it to help us for continue to improve our services. Our main goal is to serve all our guests with the highest level of service and satisfaction to which we assure you return stay.

Hotel Director
Hope Mills, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

First to check in it takes over an hour because they are not organize and there is always a big line. The staff there are not friendly andyou could notice that they don't to be there so are always with an attitute. The food is poor quality and they have many clothing ristriction so that you don't consume the food there. Also the room were the restaurant is, is to small so during rush hour it could take like an hour in line to qet your food. On the positive note the the night entertaiment is really good and fun. Oh also the liquor is poor quality like you could drink all day and don't even feel nothing.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

My husband and I recently travelled to Barceló for our honeymoon. It was a last minute decision and we hadn't thoroughly researched it. In retrospect that was a huge mistake. When I travel I am looking forward to a few main things. Sun, relaxation, food, cleanliness, amenities and service. Barceló fell short on all of the things that it had control over. On the other hand, the sun was beaming and beautiful. It was difficult to relax on the beach with neverending harassment by sales people pushing their trinkets on us. It got to the point where I would ignore them and my husband was told off in Spanish because he was so frustrated. Food, especially in my mind, was the biggest let down. Who goes on vacation and LOSES weight? The restaurants (if you could find a reservation) served poor quality foods served by an undermanned staff. The choices, language barrier, slow service and attitude provided by staff was deplorable. Our room was cleaned after 5 pm on 4 out of the 6 nights we spent there. The minibar was restocked twice and one of those times we had to chase the housekeeper down for it. And when I say restock I am talking coffee pouch, 2 beer and a bag of fritos. The amenities that were listed on the site were not The bar/snack bar above the pool was not open once during our stay. Sometimes we would miss the 10:30 deadline for breakfast and be hungry for food. Our only option was the disgusting, thrown together "grilled' food all the way down at the beach. Anyways it was horrible. Not only would I not return to this Barceló but any one in any country.

Stoney Creek, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

I have been to a few resorts before in Mexico, Cuba, Punta Cana Dominican they have all been awesome so it was difficult to like and appreciate Barcelo Puerto Plata.

First off the lobby, buffet wasnt very nice. Usually resorts have nice open rooms that are decorated appropriately this place did not. Also the map is off so we spent a good hour trying to find our rooms.

The food was terrible with the exception of the a la carte italien and the pizzaria. Almost everyone we went on this trip with (group of 6) got sick from the food. The snack bars were enjoyable though, especially the fries- but remember to bring your own ketchup.

The beach has brown sand, its wavy and grassy. Also the wind whips sand at you while laying on the beach however the biggest complaint about the beach is the number of people in blue shirts selling products. Every 2-4 minutes you are being begged and talked into buying their products. It is extremely annoying.

The pool is the same way as the beach just with photographers. None of these people take no as an answer. There was not much entertainment at the pool (especially compared to other resorts) there was water aerobics 2-3 times during the week and a booty shaking contest but that is all.

The entertainment at night sucks. If you want to see a good show that'l make you laugh go to the pre show its just people from the audience up on stage.

The rooms had no bugs at all which is great however the walls are paper thin so you can hear everything going on in everyone elses rooms and in the halls. We stayed in hotel 9 and could hear loud music coming from another resort near by. If you want hot water I suggest taking a shower early in the morning.

If you plan on paying for things like souvenirs or computer time I suggest bringing a lot of $1 bills and $5 as they never ever have change in american currency. I walked all across the resort asing all the shops to break a $10 and no one even the front lobby could do it.

The hotel staff were all extremely nice. There are no complaints about them except that if you want your room cleaned sometimes you are waiing until 4-4:30pm.

Room Tip: Rooms farther back may be quieter
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Stockholm, Sweden
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

It could be a nice hotel but it is very badly maintained. The pool is very dirty, drunk people in the swimup-bar. In one hotelroom the ceiling fell in, food is terrible, everyone we spoke to had been sick at least once, lots of people working in the restaurant but the service is rubbish, the beach is kind of boring and in the Dominicans there are people trying to sell you stuff at the beach every 5 min so it's not very relaxing. Rent an apartment instead, a lot cheaper, you get pool and seaview, you can choose restaurants or cook in the kitchen. In the Dominicans I have stayed at 2 different resorts and at one apartment. Staying at an apartment was way better than any resort I ever been to, anywhere!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Portage la Prairie, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

this resort is good if you like to be in a resort area and like all-inclusive. We found it too isolated for our liking as we have previously stayed in Cabarete and enjoyed being able to get out and about more. The beach was good, they had people cleaning it up frequently. The room was large and we loved our location in building 14, close enough to everything but not noisy as we were not too close to the main pool and activities area or to the Disco. The food in the restaurants was good and we actually enjoyed the buffet more than some of the a la carte restaurants, there was always lots of different foods to chose from. The staff were great, always friendly and helpful and big smiles.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Barcelopop, General Manager at Barcelo Puerto Plata, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our hotel. First of all, we are very happy to heart your stay in our property has been 100% successful as we had hope and for that reason we would like to express our sincere thanks for your comments.

We really appreciate your feedback, we have taken note of it and we will consider helping us for continue to improve our services. Our main goal is to serve all our guests with the highest level of service and satisfaction to which we assure you return stay.

Please feel free to contact myself directly via the below details if you are travelling to Puerto Plata again so it will be a pleasure for us to have you as our guest again. We will work to make you enjoy your vacancies.

Once again please do accept my thanks and I do hope that the remainder of your trip to Barceló Puerto Plata was most enjoyable.

Directora Hotel

Been to Barcelo Puerto Plata? Share your experiences!