“Good for this type of all inclusive hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Puerto Plata

You added Barcelo Puerto Plata to your Saves list
Barcelo Puerto Plata
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Playa Dorada | PO BOX 54, Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic   |
Special Offer
Up to 50% discount
Ranked #17 of 44 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Montreal, Canada
“Good for this type of all inclusive hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

The good points:
- relatively inexpensive
- in general, the personnal is nice and friendly, most are always smiling and very polite (if I say most, it is because some seem to forget that they are dealing with paying customers)
- in general, the service at the buffet and in the specialty restaurants was excellent
- in general, the food was very good and with almost enough variety at the buffet
- coffee was very good
- house wine (both red and white) was good
- close to airport
- nice beach (Playa Dorada)
- quiet sea
- nice pool area
- if one enjoys animation, it was lively and well organized

The bad points:
- hotel is due for a serious renovation (the Barcelo chain is known for very high quality resort 4 stars and more, this one is "only" a 3 stars establishment)
- rooms are fine, but they must be refreshed
- beds are old and, in my opinion, should simply be put out to the garbage
- bathrooms are barely functional (in our first room, the shower head was clogged and the drain didn't work, in our second room, the shower worked fine but the toilet was barely flushing)
- our first room, in building 10, was facing the Coco Bongo discotheque, in a nearby shopping center (cover and unlimited booze for 15$), the noise until 5am was unbearable
- our second room was quieter, completely at the end of building 11,but the guest staying in the room below was always drunk and screaming (when he was not sleeping) (though, not the fault of the hotel)
- the beach was nice and we were able to walk quietly for miles early in the morning however, as soon as the tourists start coming to the beach so are the vendors, lots of them, relentless, one wave after the other, constantly offering hair braids, sunglasses, rhum, cigars, t-shirts and dresses, bracelets, on and on, all day. I understand that they have to make a living and feed their family, but, it never ends, let's say that it grows tiresome
- the drinks at the bar (margaritas, rhum punch, etc) were ordinary
- finaly, the specialty restaurants, for some of them, one can make a reservation the day before, except for the "oriental" where one must reserve only on the morning of the day when it will be open for supper; you have to go through the "guest services clerk" and one of the clerk really doesn't like her job, we called her Miss Smiley, that was not really enjoyable.

Conclusion : If you enjoy a lively resort, want to party, drink a lot of booze and don't mind the noise, that's a good place to go. If you are looking for a nice and quiet place, take the time to look elsewhere.

Finally, a congratulation note to the Air Canada Vacations representative, Mr Guy Sanschagrin, he does an excellent job, knows Puerto Plata, where to go, what to avoid and so on. He took care of us and made sure that we get a quieter room.

Room Tip: Try to reserve a suite or a room in the Premium Club area.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (379)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

I spent 24 hours at the Barcelo because my flight was delayed due to a seal breaking on the landing gear of the plane. All 200 of us that were to fly home were checked in as quickly as possible around 11pm Saturday night after giving the hotel short notice.

Plus of the hotel:
- I was given room 9304 which was large, clean, had 2 double beds, a table and chairs, side tables, dresser, clock, fridge, coffee maker and older model tv.
- the hotel meals were lovely with great variety but this could have been due to the many local people who came for the weekend
- the staff were very welcoming and helped me in several instances with a cheerful attitude
- the beach has some thatched shade that is great to snooze under
- there are some areas of the beach where you are not suppose to swim. I'm not sure why but it is posted.

Negatives:
- room 9304 looks over a bar that was so loud that it kept me up until 5am when it finally closed.
- there was no hot water in the morning but it was fixed by the afternoon
- the restaurant is a lovely room but I would love to have it like the Grand Paradise which overlooks the ocean
- the beach is quite a walk through the mangrove trees (and swamp) to get to
- the balcony door did not lock but the entrance door did have a deadbolt

This was only for a 1 day stay so I don't have much more to add. The Barcelo was a newer hotel and I would probably rate it a 4 star but I still prefer the Grand Paradise.

Room Tip: The #9 building overlooks a very noisy bar that stays open until 5am Sunday morning and makes a terr...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

My Family and I have been to this hotel many many times….. Not once has Barcelo Puerto Plata let me down.My husband proposed and we were married there. As any place I visit, your attitude will dictate your time. Go with an open mind and the knowledge that in other countries food will taste different, service will be different. Sit, Relax and enjoy the experience.

FOOD- OH my yumminess! My husband is a vegetarian and was very very happy with the many choices. I loved EVERYTHING! The omelet bar, pasta bar, fresh meats.The mangu and yucca in the AM.Be open minded people!

Staff- LOVED THEM! So friendly, happy and always willing to help.

Room – we have a bit of a leak once, that was quickly corrected. Then the toilet run over a bit, quickly corrected as well.

Over all, I only have positive things to say about Barcelo Puerto Plata. I am currently planning my March 2013 trip and CANNOT WAIT!!!!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Mississauga, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Rooms - awful! The bedding smelt like wet dog, which made it impossible to sleep. The shower offered only cold water multiple times during our stay. The rooms are really just rundown apartments with no views. Dirty rooms, dirty bathroom with waste from other rooms showing up in your toilet, and no water in the mini bar.

Bar - what I can I say besides horrible drinks?

Food - is ranging from mediocre to awful. Service is non-existent. Please do yourself a favor and not say here,

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Boston
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

room was very old, but clean: tiny old TV from the 80s. Bathtub looked like the paint peeled off and was painted over. very cheap decor. But clean.
The power went out at least 5 times a night. usually for 5-10 minutes, a few times for 30 minutes to an hour. There was no back up generator, so no emergency lighting or exit signs or any illumination at all. It was pitch black in the room and throughout the resort. When the sky was cloudy and the stars and moon could not shine through, you literally felt like you were in a cave or completely blind when standing out in the open, could not tell where to go.
The food was awful. Worse than any cheap buffet I've ever tried in the states. Very poor selection, almost no veriety at all.

The buffet:

- for salad bar only dehydrated iceberg lattice, tasteless unripened tomatoes, cucumbers, only 1 kind of dressing at lunch
and dinner and no dressing at all in the morning.
- the meat had a rubber texture and was impossible to bite into
- the same food every day, no verity
- rice, boiled potatoes, heavily overcooked vegetables, canned overcooked beans, pizza and pasta.
one day we had to navigate through very thick cloud of smoke in the buffet to get food because their exhaust fans broke in the kitchen.

The restaurants:

we went to Italian, Mexican and Seafood and every entree we ordered was exactly the same. All salads came from the buffet
and always consisted of dehydrated iceberg lattice, tasteless unripened tomatoes, cucumbers. All the vegetables were cut the
same way. Sometimes they would throw a piece of avocado on it an call it an avocado salad.
Every time we ordered fish no matter what it said on the menu: salmon, sea bass, mahi-mahi or anything else, it actually was just the local fish (called dorado i think) with a different sauce on top! In every restaurant.
When we ordered calamari the brought out shrimp using an excuse that calamari was not good, but one of us was allergic to
shrimp, so they gave her canned mushrooms instead!
All the pastries had a strong smell and taste of baking soda. The cake we ordered was stale and dry, at least 2 weeks old.

the beach:

was dirty, seaweed, wood debris and garbage wash up on the shore. The sand was rock hard and very dark color.

One of our rooms got flooded during the rain.

One day there were no clean/dry beach towels because the laundry was not working -- due to power outage.

We paid for wi-fi and could never get it to work. The signal was either not there or very weak, kept logging you out.

the shows:
very very much on a budget in terms of props and costumes. The dancers tried their best.

Highlights:

cheap
close to airport 20 min
staff, especially the animation crew were very nice, entertaining and accommodating.
Honestly, if it was not for the animation/show guys our vacation would probably be ruined. They saved the day by always making us laugh, recommending things to do and providing information on the local attractions if you are a seasoned traveler looking for a good deal it is better to get a nice non-all inclusive hotel near the beach in Cabarete. great beach, lots of restaurants on the beach with bars, DJs, rooftop and beach front dining, cheap massage on the beach. I think that's what we'll do if we ever go back to DR.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Blackburn, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Stayed at the Barcelo Puerto Plata for 2 weeks in October 2012, this was our third visit to this hotel, although previously it was call Occidental Grand Flamenco. Had a great holiday, weather was fantastic but very humid and it did rain practically every day-sometimes for 5 minutes! if you where unlucky. My wife and I cannot find many faults with the hotel, but it did not have the same ambiance as when Occidental ran it. We stayed in the Premier club and we met some fantastic people, a wedding party from the USA - what a great family, a couple from New Jersey who sounded just like Sylvester Stallone as the famous ROCKY, also Canadians and Dominican families. The staff in the Premier suite are absolutely fantastic - special mentions have to go to NORBERTO, a stalwart, has been there for over 20 years, CARLOS - what a guy, went out of his way to look after you. Then there was RAPHAEL one of the nicest and friendliest persons person you could ever hope to meet - a true star. Then you have the girls in reception led by YOHAIRA, so helpfull, friendly and would (and did) go the extra mile to make sure all was ok.
It is a shame that of the 17 or so hotels that originally occupied the sea front, less than half now remain and it is noticeable with the derilict hotels surrounding the few that remain.
As for the hotel itself - yes - it does seem to be getting tired, but is it worth going again, yes I think so but the area does need some investment. Had no problems with the Al-a-carte restaurants, the food was good but not as good as our previous visits.
Just a final note, it seems that we would find it difficult to return as the major holiday companies seem to have discarded the hotel for the next season - anybody got any further info on this.
If you do go there is no reason why you would not enjoy your stay.

Room Tip: Go premium
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
North Bergen, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I am of Dominican descent, however, a US Citizen who was raised and has lived in New York my entire life. As such I wanted to visit family members I had not seen in over 20 years. This was a family trip and we booked 3 junior suites (premium/ not sure what you pay for as you will note soon). Upon our arrival we were taken to the Premium check in, which was nice because it is a separate check-in area then the general population. Problem was we spoke Spanish to the employees thinking it would be better since it is their first language, although not mine, and it was all downhill from there! I am a frequent traveler and thereby immediately inquired about the reservations process for the restaurants and was advised we had to call every morning to make the reservation for that night's desired restaurant. To my surprise though, the very next morning as I sat in the office waiting for a wi-fi access code another couple who had just checked in and spoke English requested restaurant reservations for the entire duration of their stay (10 people in total) and they were accommodated. From that point on I refused to speak Spanish to anyone in the premises as clearly there is a preference in treatment. It may be because a lot of locals do stay in this premise (bare that in mind). More importantly, however, is the fact that one employee will give you one answer and the other will give you another! If you find someone who takes a liking to you, you will have an amazing time as for the most part the rooms are nice and clean (a bit worn down but kept in good conditions).

The beach is okay, I suggest taking a cab to one of the nearby beaches which are nicer. Pool area is very nice and was my favorite area of the hotel. The “premium” was only useful to me for wi-fi services! The top shelf drinks (which is what you pay for the premium package for) are kept in only one section (the premium section) of the hotel and if you are by the beach or the pool area and want a drink, guess where you have to go? That’s right, back to the premium section of the hotel! Overall the stay is not horrible but the service could be better!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Barcelo Puerto Plata? Share your experiences!