“Would go back again!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Puerto Plata

You added Barcelo Puerto Plata to your Saves list
Barcelo Puerto Plata
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Playa Dorada | PO BOX 54, Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic   |
Special Offer
Early booking offer
Ranked #18 of 42 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Brantford, Ontario, Canada
“Would go back again!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2012

We arrived at this resort to a heavy rain storm on March 22nd and it continued the next day. The staff explained it was unusual but they always help you make the best of it. We were a bit disappointed with our original room in building 1, 3rd floor right behind the show pavilion and all you could see was a dirty roof with air conditioning units. To our despair it was actually raining through the wooden ceiling as well both in the room and on the balcony. Thank goodness it was a corner room with a second window looking out at the mountain. It was very hard to sleep that evening with all the noise from the show as well. That is the end of my whining! The next day the Transit on staff rep. helped us relocate to a much nicer room in building 12. This is a newer building, very quiet and the last one before the beach and the seafood/disco restaurant. The staff are all delightful and will go out of there way to help you. As far as food, anyone claiming there was "nothing to eat" must have a very irregular diet. I have celiac disease so if finding food was going to be a task, I would know. Every day there was an amazing variety of food. I don't even think there was a breakfast item that you could have that they missed except perhaps for bran cereal that my hubby likes. The sausage and bacon may not be exactly as in N. America but that is what you get. The other restaurants were great as well, those that we were able to try. They did somehow confuse our bookings and we were not able to try them all, our friends who did, enjoyed them all.
Drinks were always available and if you made a request they would attempt to fulfill it. On the rainy days there are some nice shops both in the resort and right next door in the two story shopping plaza. Do you get accosted by pedlars, yes but if you tell them no thankyou they leave you alone. I actually found the organized pedlars on the beach more menacing than the ones at the plaza. The beach was lovely. So many people told us that we were going to an inferior beach but as far as I am concerned coming from Ontario where our sand is brown too, who cares what colour the sand is? They cleaned the beach every day of debris and garbage and the water was a very nice temperature. If you are a walker or runner you could go for a very long distance very safely. Watch the sand though, it gets hot anytime after lunch from the heat. Don't miss the excursions! I don't think it matters who you buy from just buy at least one. You will enjoy getting to see the country. We did the Runners tour into the jungle where you get to see a bit of the local life and scenery as well as another super beach for body surfing and another lovely meal. This is an entire day of fun! We also did the Cable car tour which takes you into the city and up the mountain to see the sights. This is a good excursion for shoppers to get rum, cigars, jewelery etc. I don't think we would have felt the same if we missed these outings. This is not a rich county in general. So to think that they work so hard at giving you luxury that most of them will never know, be very thankful and enjoy your time away remembering how lucky you are to have the opportunity to travel. We actually saw people looking for food at the garbage dump so it is sad to think of the people complaining about this resort.
Things I would suggest: Save your chair early (one set, not one set at at the pool and one set on the beach like some did)
Take a lot of US $1 for tipping, this goes a long way with your maids and servers.
Take about $25 dollars of extra items from the dollar store to give as gifts. This country is in need of crayons, pencils, pens and writing pads etc. I also took toothbrushes, hair items, soap, clothespins and items that are used in the home as well as small toys.
If you go on the Runners tour, they stop at a school and the children come out for candy. Bring some from home because buying a bag there cost $8 US.
Take adequate sunscreen at least a 60. Others who had 30 burned the first day we did not. If you want a higher value sunscreen there the most they had was 40 at a cost of $25 US.
It was a wonderful trip, we met many people from other countries and I would easily go back again. So my suggestion is stop worrying go and enjoy your trip!

Room Tip: Buildings 11, 12, 14 and 15 are further away from the pool and the show.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (333)
  • Polish first
akulivik
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel and upon arrival I upgraded to the premium section. Well worth it big room quiet and international drinks included such as Bailey. Good internet service, and a quiet spa just for this section. Close to the pool outside the premium gates.I will return to this hotel with my family. This year I traveled alone and enjoyed the hotel. The only complaint is the guests save loungers at both the pool and the beach, this issue needs to be addressed by the hotel even a couple of fights at the pool due to this, not the hotels fault it is the fault of ignorant travellers, they know who they are. Jobwell done by all the staff. See you next time!

Room Tip: Upgrade to the premium section. If you are put in block 7 ask to move Coco Bongo will drive you craz...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Church Point, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

Franciso was the guy we bought out trips from. He is located on the beach. We always found him at the beach entrance. Highly recommended. A lot cheaper and his tour guides were great.

We bought a lot of stuff from pablo at the orange market. His business is Best Deals Gift Shop. He likes Canadians cause his son is in Toronto and goes there all the time. He gave us the better deals than the others.

This resort is very clean and safe. I watched them clean this resort every day. The grounds keepers work hard washing all the walks and grounds every day. Ours rooms were very clean and towels and bar fridge refilled all the time. There is a guard around every corner which gives you a feel that’s its very safe. All the staff work hard to make your trip a great one. All the food was OK. The A LA Cartes that we ate at were very good.

The Air Transat rep that does the A La Cartes we found the be very rude. We were a group of 16 and had a hard time to book the meals. We got the Brazilian for all 16. Only 10 of us could get the Italian and Oriental. She would not even book the rest of them until the next day, by then it was all booked up. She would not book us for the Mexican at all till the next day. We still have no idea why and we didn’t even bother. We were Air Transat Prestige Class which is guaranteed 5 reservations but they wouldn’t book it all at the same time.

This resort has a problem with lounge chairs at both the beach on pool. One day we tried to find one chair to suntan in with no luck. At least 1/3 of them are saved with towels are sandals on them and are not being used. You need to go and save it around 7:00 am if you want one, but then again if someone has balls to take your chair like they did to us then you will still sit on a towel in the sand. Someone took our chairs and we lost our towels. And the towels cost $30.00 US to be replaced. Management told us that we can take any chair not being used, but I was not going to get in a fight with other guest over a chair cause I was on vacation and don’t need the stress.

My problem with this resort was about half the guest were from Quebec. They were very rude. They would cut lines at the buffet so a 5 min wait in line would take about 10 mins. I seen some that would put one towel on two chairs at the beach and one towels on two chairs at the pool. A lady told me that they were 6 of them and only could find one chair at the pool so they shared the one chair while you can see tons of chairs not being used, but two from Que. had two chairs saved in the sun and two chairs saved in the shade at the pool and would not part with them. We had a hard time to sleep. People were very loud shouting in French starting at 6:00 am from room to room and we could hear others shouting in French until 2:00 am. They even shouted from one building to the other. Even tried to sleep at 2:00 in the afternoon, but again no luck. When they couldn’t get service fast enough from the very nice staff at the buffet, they would go grab them by the arm and pull them to their table to get faster service, so again the rest of us had to wait even longer. They didn’t ask the staff for something they would demand it. But again they did pay money for their trip and have the right to do what they want to. But the staff people are still humans that work hard for their money so a little respect goes a long way. Now I’m sure that not all Quebec people are rude like I seen at the resort, And by the way I can understand and speak French, but I’m from Nova Scotia.

I don't think I would go back

Wrentham, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

We have been going to Barcelo Puerto Plata for several years. We just completed a one month stay. It is like going home. The staff is incredible. Our maid Rosa remembers us from year to year and remembers we like extra pillows extra water etc. She and her helper Cecillio anticipate our needs. The restaurants are awesome. I get very upset when I hear people complain where can you go and have a choice of Oriental, Italian, Brazillian, Mexican plus a lavish buffet.We have a special spot on the beach and Cristianno always has our chair ready even if we don"t go to the beach and go in town for the day. If you have any problems example our toilet broke. We called they came within 5 minutes and then we had a follow up call from the desk to make sure it was fixed. I arrives sick from the plane this year and Ylianna Boitel the assisant director was there to greet us and facilitated our getting in to our room in a hurry. Only to have her send dinner directly to our room so I did not have to go out. I can't begin to list all the wonderful employees in the main dinning room at the pool on the beach at the bars.We have been going to Puerto Plata over 25 years and we wish all of those years had been at Barcelo. We have stayed at Jack Tar, Plays Dorado but none equal Barcelo. Almost every member of the staff says welcome home when we arrive. How they can remember us from all the quest they see truly amazes me. But as all the staff says you are now a part of Barcelo's Family. We will be returning again and again. Jim and Donna

Room Tip: Rooms in building 14 or 15 are very quiet and close to the beach path .
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

After reading other reviews I was a bit apprehensive on going to this resort, but boy were they wrong!!
There were 5 of us in our mid 20's and it was our first trip as friends to the Dominican!
To say the least this resort was amazing!!

We arrived sunday night and were given 2 rooms in building 12. Although we booked with Sunquest, building 12 seemed to be the Transat prestige rooms as oppose to normal superior rooms. They were both on the first floor but unfortunatley not right beside each other. But we made do. One of the rooms were given 3 actual beds, instead of 2 and a cot so that was a good surprise! The other room was 2 beds pushed together into a king. Other than the gap in the middle it was fine. Both rooms were big and spacious, with large bathrooms and a balcony. They had only given us 1 key per room, and told us to go back the next day to get more. That was a bit annoying but no big deal because we went back and there were more! No problem with bugs nor lack of hot water nor anything else that others have complained about! The mini fridge was cold and stocked with beer, pop and water, and the air conditioning and fan was always on high blast and our room was freeezing!

The pool was amazing! but as the reviews say if you're not awake to get pool chairs then good luck finding somewhere to sit! We sat in the same place everyday and was up by 8am to get chairs, no big deal though.

Unfortunatley it rained for 2 full days when we were there! Not much someone can do weather wise but the entertainment staff considered to run games and keep us entertained.

That being said, the entertainment staff are great!! But they will pull you up for games so be ready!! And some games and shows do get a little inappropriate but it was great fun!

The food was also amazing!! We got 5 a la cartes and had no problem booking them.Braziallian was the least favourite followed by Italian and the Pizzaria. Oriental was quite good but by far Mexican was the best! The buffet was also very good with different selections everyday. Everymorning there were fresh omlettes being made, and you have to try the banana milkshake, it was amazing!!

The drinks on the resort were awesome too. I lived off brugal white rum! And they arent skimpy on the alcohol so getting a mixed drink needed to be ordered with a little rum (and their version of little is still 3/4 of a glass). Unfortunatley there were no blended drinks that you may get on a 5 star resort, and i love blended drinks, but i made good!

All in all it was an amazing time!! The disco was okay but unfortunatley we ended up going a week that Western Canada had march break so it was all 17 year olds. There is also coco bongos just outside of the resort which is supposed to be a good time.

Room Tip: Buildings 11 & 12 are the transat rooms and they are newer! We didnt book with transat but still...
Kawartha Lakes, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

We visited Puerto Plata for the first time a a couple of weeks ago arriving the week before the March Break rush. We booked Prestige through Transat holidays which was only a bit more money than standard and worth the extra for the building locations and the option to try all five a la carte restaurants. (the Transat reps at the resort, especially Freddie were terrific)
Overall, our impression was positive in every respect. The Barcelo is right on the beach, a beach that stretches as far as anyone would care to stroll with clean sand and ample shelter if you need a break from the direct sun.
The food generally was very good to excellent, with the exception of the Italian and Brazillian steakhouse. We tend to dine late (9:00 +) and both of these prepare their food ahead and it was not good by the time we ate. Oriental, Mexican and Seafood were all very good, although I think it confuses them when someone orders a bottled wine over the included Vino Tinto or Vino Blanco. The were either out of stock or had to send someone to the main bar to retrieve us a bottle. No big deal because when you are on holiday, time is not that precious.
The resort is a nice size, with everything a short stroll from where you are.
Above ALL I was more than impressed with the hospitality and genuine friendliness of the staff. We befriended a few that I expect we will try to stay in contact with. I urge you all to interact as much as possible with the staff. If you visit the lobby bar, (as we did frequently) give a big hello to Simon and Anna... two of the loveliest people I have ever met in the service profession and their somewhat quiet but equally engaging side kick Jose. We had the great pleasure to meet Simon's family and visit their neighbourhood.... it made our trip special in ways that none of the group excursions could come close to.
All in all a fabulous week... pretty good golf course at Play Dorada only a five minute walk from Barcelo... the cattamaran cruise was a blissful day of relaxation in the sun... and the horse back riding run by a girl from Canada was a nice way to see the hillsides and more rural part of the Dominican.
We have family and friends that we compared notes with that went elsewhere... I wouldn`t have traded places with any of them.

Room Tip: we bought the 25 hours for $25 wifi package which was a good deal. Allowed us to post our pictures d...
Hope, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2012

Loud drunk teenagers...
Rude front desk attendants...
Closed restaurants...
Power failures...
Never enough towels...
$$$$ for an upgrade that did not exist...
and a VERY LOUD disco on both sides of the resort....

GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!

Room Tip: AVOID buildings 7, 8 and 9! This is where they place drunk teenagers from Toronto. AVOID buildings...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Barcelo Puerto Plata? Share your experiences!