“The BEST time.....” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 44 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Fort Washington, Maryland, United States
“The BEST time.....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

We are VIP members and we rolled 13 deep this year, 10 of us stayed at our villa and 3 of my cousins used their timeshare from another resort and stayed in the condos! My experience.....1st time there in 2011 was GOOD, stayed in the Crown Suites which were nice except for the one tv in the livingroom and our bathroom leaking from the ceiling for 3 days of our stay. But this year.....I HAD A BLAST!!! After being hospitalized for 3 days from a blood clot, this was a MUCH needed vacation!! We lived like JayZ and Beyonce for 8 days and 7 nights with a 6 bedroom, chef, pool, cabanas, 2 golf carts(makes it easier to get around) and the most AWESOME view of the ocean everyday! Because my family have been members for the past 7 years, we have been "family" with a lot of the staff...Caramelo, Dee, John Cena, Puchi Puchi, Lenny Kravitz and Jhonny Bravo.....my niece Taiylor, my daughter Taaron and cousin Bre's favorites!;o) They make the trip worth it for the kids as well as the adults with their hospitality! Our new "sister" Jahida bends over backwards to take care of us while we are there.....MISS ALL OF THEM!! I will say that a lot of the reviews are somewhat "true" to an extent. However, I can't speak for anyone but myself to say LIFESTYLE HOLIDAYS VACATION CLUB IS THE PLACE TO BE!!! Thank you for the wonderful time and memories and SEE YA NEXT YEAR!!

Room Tip: If you can afford it, become a member......sad but true, you do get better benefits!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (340)
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

We stayed at The Tropical for a total of 6 nights/7days and were a little worried after reading the wide variety of reviews that exist (everything from total crap right through to paradise!). Knowing the price that we paid to stay, conscious of what we should expect, and it's probably fair to say that it probably exceeded my initial expectations.

Checkin was fairly quick and easy, but there wasn't a long line when we arrived, but we did hear some horror stories from people who had a terrible checkin experience, so I think that really comes down to what time you arrive, and how busy things are. We were escorted to our room by a cheerful fellow who pointed out the main things on our way, the room was fine, sure, things looked a little dated, but nothing was broken and the AC worked. My biggest complaints regarding the rooms were that housekeeping was very inconsistent with the time they came, sometimes as early as 8am, sometimes as late as 5pm. The other issue we found was that everything in the room was always damp, even clothes that hadn't been worn were damp. I'm guessing that the AC units don't dehumidify which causes this problem. Most concerning about this (and I heard this from many people that I spoke to) was that by the end of 6 nights, we all felt like we were coming down with a chest infection from the dampness, thankfully that cleared up pretty quick once we got back to the US.

The pools and bars can be a lot of fun, but keep in mind that given what you pay for staying here, everything is done on a budget price. The liquor is the cheapest that they can buy and is pretty nasty. I drank beer the whole time as I just couldn't stomach the cheap and nasty liquors that they served. More staff would be a definite bonus as there was often a quite long wait for service, although if you found a helpful barman and tipped him consistently, he would always be quick to help you (for obvious reasons).

The restaurants were the most disappointing aspect of this trip for me, again, you get what you pay for, but most of the food in the buffet's was quite simply slop. Occasionally it was fantastic, but massive queues for the 'cooked fresh' options, incredibly slow to refill food items that were emptied out and just a generally poor quality of food. Some of the restaurants were significantly better, we tried the Italian, Brazilian and Mexican whilst be were there, Brazilian and Mexican being or definite favourites, so much so that we ate twice at the Mexican (remember, tipping goes a long long way, even for getting tables in restaurants where you don't have a reservation). We didn't have the chance to try the Indian or Asian which we would've liked to try, but we were told that both were of mediocre quality by new friends that had eaten at them.

The tours that are available are ok, but they *always* end with being taken to some locals who try to sell you mountains of mass produced crap posing as something real. If you can say no to those people and step outside the box, then they are generally worth doing and a good way to get away from the resort and see something new and different.

All in all, we probably wouldn't stay again, if for no other reason than there is so much to see in the world, why keep going back to the same place. But seriously, if you don't go in with expectations set to high and and are properly forewarned and educated about what to expect (ignore the reviews at each extreme is probably advisable) then you can certainly have a great time here. Just be aware that (like others have said) they will try and sell you into their Vacation Club, it might be your thing, it might not be, just be aware. They don't get upset if you say no, just be firm about it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Cortlandt Manor NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

This was the most horrible vacation we have every had. The Tropical treated us like crap the first day we came in. The customer service was the worst I have ever seen. The Supervisor at the front desk was rude, inconsiderate and did not care that my family was so unhappy and even rolled her eyes at me. I have never been treated this way! My Aunt and Uncle have a VIP Membership and was appalled at how we were treated. Never go here. Cheap rooms and we had to pay $60 for WiFi for the week. We were basically excluded and looked down upon since we didn't buy into the membership. The only nice person we met was John Cena, he's a great entertainer. I have a membership in Mexico at the Palace resorts and even if your not a member you are still treated well and can go to all the restaurants etc. If you want an amazing vacation contact me.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Yes, it's true what all the reviews say. The resort is one big time share sales pitch. But for $12/day, can you really complain?

There are no lounge chairs directly on the beach and you should be prepared to face an onslaught of sales pitches on the beach as well. In the "VIP" beach, the covered cabanas go fast. Since the sheep all flock to the VIP area, the regular beach is dead which makes it quite ideal and easy to get a cabana! plus if you reserve a cabana close enough to the VIP area, you still can use the free wifi. The sand isn't white and the water isn't turquoise the way you expect to see in the Caribbean. However, it's still a pretty beach. We read reviews about some random sewage pipe that dumped into the ocean near the beach area. We never saw such a thing. The beach was pretty clean.

Food was pretty good overall. Your restaurant choices are limited if you aren't one of the privileged wristbands, but offering a $5 bill to the host will get you pretty far! The Sunday night giant party had great food and good entertainment. Lots of unlimited champagne and good service. Also take the shuttle to the attached resort for more pool, restaurant and beach options!

Keep in mind for $12/day you are not going to be in company with a very classy crowd. Think people from Walmart.

All in all we don't regret our trip but wouldn't go back. We had much better experiences in Mexico!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Maple Grove, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

Only thing good about lifestyle was the VIP beach . Don't book with Cheap Caribbean, you will be treated like crap will not be able to switch out of the horrible rooms at the Lifestyle . Keep in mind this is a huge Resort that has 4 or 5 hotels and makes one big one. The Tropical is the lowest of the lowest. The rooms are old and out dated witch I didn't mind but the pillows smelling like mold I couldn't handle. We got there on a Friday check in wasn't bad , as we walked to our room a women was going off about not having hot water in the building I was in I paid no mind kept walking . We didn't have hot water or AC . We hurried to complain they said they would move us the following morning .......... Yea long story short we were past off to a different set of liars daily until we gave up on being moved. Monday morning came and we had hot water . We checked out Wednesday never had AC . The food on the whole resort was so so but nothing to brag about. The Welcome party was cool with over cooked gummy like lobster

• Stayed May 2013
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

My trip was amazing!! The food, the room, the parties and especially the staff was AMAZING!! To me the staff is what matters the most, if they are rude and unsympathetic then the whole trip is ruined. The water aerobic instrucor, John Cena, would always start the day with a good vibe! He would make sure you are awake and ready to do our morning excersice, which was really refreshing. Through the day there were a bunch activities with the activity directors: Pouchi, Lenny Kravitz, Jonny Bravo and John Cena; who are amazing at

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

I recently had the pleasure of taking a private tour of Tropical Lifestyles for a day. Friends of mine had stayed there and gave it amazingly great reviews so I had to check it out for myself. The staff were more than accommodating and ensured all of our needs were met. If you've ever stayed at another resort in Puerto Plata, you will NEVER want to go back to it. Everything from the rooms (clean, fresh, beautiful, and private), the food (not your average place to eat .... gourmet meals, top of the line snacks, and around the clock service), Bars (anything and everything you could possibly want. The staff made sure they had what you wanted), the pools & beaches (clean, well secured, and tons of activities to keep the guests smiling), and mostly the entertainment staff. I had so much fun watching and participating in the water aerobics with instructor John Cena. He made exercising so much fun. He gave us all so much energy and big smiles. He works so hard and it shows in all of his shows as he is an amazing entertainer to watch. John Cena invited us to The VIP party and we were so glad to go. It was full of so many surprises ... from foam to glitter to fire and tons of dancing. The shows were all immaculate and so entertaining. A big thank you to John Cena for ensuring we had an amazing time. I can't wait to tell all of my friends how right they were about this island of paradise!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Club? Share your experiences!