“Do Not Buy A Membership Here!” 2 of 5 stars

Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Club
Corfresi Beach #2, Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #10 of 42 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Glens Falls, New York
“Do Not Buy A Membership Here!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

I actually liked this place upon my first visit & Membership seemed like a really good deal...but it's not. The owners of this resort are absolute criminals. I purchased a "Gold" Membership about 6 years ago, which guarantees Villa accomodations. I have been back to the resort 4 times in 6 years & each time I arrive I am downgraded to a hotel room. Are the hotel rooms that bad? No, but I paid $25,000 for the "Gold" Membership which is WORTHLESS.

Overall the resort is okay, staff is pretty friendly, food is okay. Serenity Beach is beautiful. If you want a cheap vacation, go ahead, it's worth a "good deal" if you can find one online. But DO NOT buy into their Vacation Club. They are CROOKS! And trust me, if you go down there once, their salesmen will hound you during your stay to buy a membership.

Customer Service knows this too, I think that's why the average CS Rep last a year. All they do is field complaints from angry visitors about how they've been downgraded.

Learned the hard way

Room Tip: If you're not a member, they will probably give you whatever room you want. Presidential suites...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (317)
Huntersville, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

We stayed at the Crown Suites and they were wonderful. We had a 2 bedroom, 2 bath with a full kitchen, living room, and a great patio in the back. The staff was very friendly even if they had us booked for the day before and we had no room. But it was handled and it was nice from there.

I will say that the Crown Suites are pretty laid back because we would go to the Tropical and Confresi and they were always busy. The other 2 always has food there too. So if you want to be in the action go to one of those, but for peace and quiet Crown Suites are it.They have shuttles the go to all the resorts and the beach.

The food was good everywhere. I recommend eating at all the resorts, then you do not get the same food everyday. Make your dinner reservations asap when you get there or early in the morning for dinner. You do not get to go unless you do for the speciality places. I am not a fan of the times for eating because we were always missing lunch, but they do have snacks until dinner. But they do need more options for late night snacks. Yours choices are hot dogs (Do not eat the late night hot dogs!!), hamburgers, and fries everynight! Really, nothing else.

The beach was nice. Not too many people trying to sell you something. I love the beds on the beach. And the food for the beach was great. The Ying Yang spa is wonderful. It was my first time going to a spa and now I want to go more. I hated to leave. Not too much going on the town, but the resort is really all you need for a relaxing vacation. And the was accomplished for me.

Room Tip: As soon as you get there and first thing each morning make your reservations for dinner. Otherwise y...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
College Park, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

I had a lot of other problems that were unconnected to the resort, but I won't let that color my review. In a nutshell...I loved the resort. The property itself was gorgeous, the beaches were incredible, food was awesome, minibar 2 thumbs up, etc. I could tell, though, that my experience was as good as it was because I was VIP. If you go here..go VIP.

On the last night I lost my wallet and the service staff just fell all the way through. No one wanted to help me by looking through lost and found, some members of the staff just ignored me, some made jokes. Even after I got home I called the hotel a few times just to hold out hope. Either no one picked up the phone, or when I tried to explain why I was calling they would just hang up on me. That's...awful.

Also, twice I had to pay for Wi-Fi in order to handle my unconnected problems, and I noticed that you had to pay in cash because they won't charge it to your room. Both times the person did not have change and said that they would bring me my change while I was on the computer. Both times...the person never came back. And when I went to look for them there was always someone else working. All in all I was only shorted $6, but still. I'll just say that there are a lot of negatives and a lot of positives about this place. Also, and I don't want to sound mean, but it would be nice if the front desk staff spoke a little better English. Might have made some things easier.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013 via mobile

There were some wonderful things about this resort and some very bad things. We stayed in the crown villas as part of a wedding party, and were granted VIP wrist bands. I think without VIP wrist bands I would rate this resort a 2. So if you go, go as VIP!

The good: nice pools, nice villas. Loved NV beach! Some excellent helpful staff--especially Luis at NV beach. Our villa was kept very clean. Yin yang spa was beautiful and the staff there helpful/professional. The VIP reps who attended to us were great--especially Carlos. The resort felt very safe. The zip line tour was great!

The bad: the food was pretty bad. Even at the VIP restaurants where you have to get reservations days ahead. The buffet food ended up being some of the most consistently good food available. The drinks seemed watered down. We got different answers every time we asked questions about times and details. Our phone didnt work for days--despite being told constantly it was going to be fixed in 5 minutes. There was early morning construction (before 8 AM) next to our villa. The shuttle service was unpredictable. They try to pressure you in to becoming a member--but not as bad as other time shares I have encountered. The staff at VIP Check in desk were rude and unhelpful. It took over 2 hours to check in. The staff who cleaned our villa were thorough, but they didnt come one day and we had to call. They should allow you to rent a gold cart if you want to pay for it--right now only certain quantities are allows for certain VIP members. Our party had 11 people on it and we only got a 4 person cart!

I had an excellent time because of the people I was with and because of the things that were good about the resort, but I probably wouldn't go back.

• Stayed May 2013
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

I feel like I need to debunk some myths since the reviews on here made me uneasy prior to our stay. We stayed for 10 nights in the Residence Suites through a great deal on Living Social. If you don't have time to read the whole review, know this: This was a GREAT vacation, a wonderful resort, a fantastic room, and there were PLENTY of things to do and eat even being a non-VIP.

Accommodations: The room was basically a one bedroom apartment. It was really nice, very clean (and cleaned daily by the maid), and always stocked with beer, soda, and waters. AC worked wonderfully and the bathroom was large. The bed was extremely firm and the couch was basically a block of wood with thin cushions on it, but we finagled some pillows and made it comfortable enough. View of the ocean and pool from our room. It was a little removed from everything, so it was very quiet and we many times had the pool to ourselves. The Bellini restaurant was very close, so we had easy access to breakfast and lunch if we chose to eat there.

Staff: Staff was friendly and went out of their way to assist us, especially when we tipped a dollar or two.

Dining: Even with non-VIP bracelets, we had I think access to 12 restaurants. Each morning we would call to make a reservation and had an option between 2 restaurants (options were different each day). We broke our reservations a few times so only ended up trying the Dominican (excellent), Asian (good), and Italian (average) restaurants. The buffets were really good at first but I was sick of them by the end of the trip. That could have been avoided if we kept our reservations! They cook their chicken with the bones in so be careful on chicken dishes. We ate everything from raw veggies to ceviche to seafood to medium steak etc etc, never got sick. One staff member recommended not drinking more than 3 pina coladas a day because the coconut milk supposedly could upset your stomach.

Sales: Yes, on the first day there someone picked us up from breakfast for our "welcome package." My boyfriend insisted on following him because he will never turn down a gift, so I begrudgingly gave in. He took us to the offices and gave us run and mama juana mix. Then a sales lady started a sales pitch, and we went back and forth a couple of times politely declining the tour. Eventually she conceded and that's the last we heard of it.

Non-VIP facilities: We had access to multiple beaches and countless pools. 12 restaurants. 2 buffets. Tons of bars (upwards of 10). We felt like we had plenty of things to do and never felt like we were missing anything.

Nightlife: I've seen comments there's nothing to do at night, but that's not true. They always have shows and parties going on, and have multiple bars that are opened past midnight. They do have a couple of clubs but we did not go to them.

Walkability: There are tons of options here (restaurants, bars, beaches, pools, spas, etc). Being a larger resort, naturally there is more walking. But everything was in what I would consider walking distance here at home. It was nothing even close to taking a trip to Paris or New York, for example. Plus it is a beautiful resort so we didn't really mind walking at all. It was very hard to navigate at first because the streets aren't really marked and there are only signs in the Cofresi area. But once we got the hang of it after a couple of days it wasn't an issue at all. If you don't like walking at all, stay in Cofresi or the Tropical which are closer to restaurants and the beaches. But I liked being able to retreat from the action for the night.

Spa: There are 2 spas and I went to the Ying Yang spa. I got the Welcome Package, which was a body exfoliation, massage (you can choose relaxation, aromatherapy, or deep tissue), pedicure, and manicure. The exfoliation was nice, the massage was pretty good (but I could tell sometimes the door was being opened and she was almost inaudibly whispering to someone else, but it was slightly annoying). I would advise against the mani/pedi. The water for the pedicure was hot water brought in in a pitcher, which cooled almost immediately. The whole thing was haphazard, not really a full pedicure, and there was no top coat so it started chipping the next day. For the manicure, one person did my left and the other my right while I sat in the pedicure chair. They were talking Spanish over me and did my nails in two different shapes. Again, no top coat so started chipping the very next day. Save your money!!

Altogether this was an amazing vacation!!! No way would I have expected such a great vacation for how little we paid. It was truly wonderful!

Room Tip: Cofresi and The Tropical are both closer to beaches and restaurants, so there is less walking. The...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013 via mobile

The rooms, pools and ambiance are specutacular. But the food is PREETTY BAD!! Is worst than a enemy dessert! There was rice, beans and the salad didnt look fresh. I supossed that i would see some seafood but it didnt happen: none!

I was starving all the time!
The vip area is ok bug you dont know what things you can enjoy if you are not foreing.

• Stayed May 2013
Great Meadows, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

We had a great time. The staff was very helpful and friendly. Always happy. ChocoChoco and Johnny Bravo were GREAT!!!!!! They were both Friendly, helpful, alot of fun. They made our stay very pleasant and were a joy to be around. Will defintely be back. Dawn P, from New Jersey

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Been to Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Club? Share your experiences!