“You get what you pay for” 2 of 5 stars

Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Club
Corfresi Beach #2, Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #10 of 41 hotels in Puerto Plata
Watertown, South Dakota, United States
“You get what you pay for”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

Just returned from this all inclusive resort 2/3/13.
I was worried after reading other reviews but purchased this 7 day vacation from Cheap Caribbean.com. Our group of 6 purchased this location based on price. Not a good choice.
On day one we checked in late on Sunday and found our room to be poor. The following morning we asked to be moved to another room for many reasons one being the hand held shower head was attached to the shower wall with a nail. To use it you had to pull the shower head and nail out of the hole and then back in to wash. Just not possible to wash..
They did find us another room with a shower head that was at least mounted on the wall.
This is a "Vacation Club"...much like a Timeshare.. Get ready for the massive sales force to attack you the first two days. They will not let up until they get you into a sales meeting.. You can't eat without getting trapped by these animals.
Next is the food... The buffet at this hotel is worst I have ever experienced. One line for eggs which can be very long, and 8 warmers with food but we found most of these were empty and not refilled often. If meats are served in the evening it's tough and poor tasting.
The VIP beach has better food but does not serve until 11am till 5pm. They only serve sandwiches and salads. Now having stated that, we could not order at 11am and were told another 15 to 20 minutes. They will not take orders after 4pm.
In the 7 days of our vacation, the hotel gives you two evening dining reservations. You get what you get... they say you can check with the office each morning for changes but this is a joke. We were given 9pm meals and did manage to have the restaurant let us in at 8pm. No others would do this. So, out of 7 days you are stuck with 5 evening buffets.
The buffets are understaffed and you have to fight in line with all the hotel employees including the "Timeshare" people. (Vacation Club is same as Timeshare).
The beach is small and you can't pull up a chair on the sand. The ocean is very rough here so don't plan on long swim. You can go in the water but you will get beat up by waves.
Unlike Cancun, you don't have to fight for poolside chairs. We found very few used the pool area. Some did go to neighboring beaches or the VIP beach. The hotel bar and entertainment staff are not professional. They spend most of their attention on single female customers and ignoring others.
The seafood restaurant was closed the entire week we were there. They told us due to electrical problems. One of the shareholders told us people got sick eating there so they had to close.
Drinks are limited and poor. Beer is Presidente tap not very cold.... can only drink so much of that.
I know we will never be back to DR.

Room Tip: If you keep complaining they will just keep moving you to another room.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

881 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (284)
Enfield, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

This resort has decent amenities. The food is mediocre - sometimes mystery meat is present. However, LOVED the pasta bar. Always found something that I liked. I can't imagine not being VIP - we had lots of extra amenities, I guess. It was hard to tell what non-VIP members were missing out on. Not the best all inclusive I've ever been on (comparing to the Jewel in Jamaica, Palace resorts & RIUs in Mexico). However, the deals are crazy!!! Worth it for a quick trip, but be careful when comparing to those other resorts. DIdn't like how they were waiting for tips... I tip well, but when deserved.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Squamish, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

I am a member and I brought a couple of friends with me and we each had a junior suite at the Tropical, This was my 3rd trip in 12 months and it just gets better every time. Lidia in #4 building kept my room spotless and always had a smile on her face, The restaurants were great, especially the Gourmet and Brazilian, and the Crepes at Serenity Beach are sooo good,
Thanks to George of the Jungle at the Towel/Book exchange he always had reading material for me, Julia my rep is always so helpful and cheerful when she helps me with reservations.The girls at the coffee bar in the Tropical Lobby has my cappuchino ready when they see me coming.No complaints and I was there Jan 15-31 and looking forwards to going back.
lee

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Denville, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

Indian restaurant was excellent. Concierge went out of her way to be helpful. Too much sales pressure on time share owners, though and staff other than concierge often did not know about daily events/activities which led to some frustration. Overall a good vacation.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Kitchener, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

My husband and I are members of Lifestyles. This was our first stay in the Tropical section of the resort, and we enjoyed every moment of it! The room was very nice, food was great, service was exceptional! We stayed in the Cofresi side last year, and while it was very nice, we actually preferred the more central location of the Tropical. We were in building 3, very close to the lobby and Casablanca buffet. Despite the central location, our room was very quiet, and we never had trouble sleeping.

Worth mentioning:

The new Oh Crepes! restaurant on Serenity Beach - divine way to spend an afternoon or 3!

The new NV Beach - fab drinks, friendly staff and amazing thin-crust pizza

Jazz restaurant at the Presidential Suites was excellent as always

Moomtaz (Indian restaurant) - fantastic! Hi Safi - and thank you!

Harmony Beach, VIP Pool and the Sports Bar - just a few of our favourite places to relax :)

My husband and I both noticed a real step-up in customer service, even since just last year. What was once 'great' has gotten even better! Special thanks to John from VIP services for checking on us every day to see if we needed anything, Winston (the 'dreaded clip-board' guy who is totally awesome! :) Roberto and the entire Animacion Team for making sure everyone was having fun even in the rain, Beronica the waitress at the Sunday night party for her excellent service as always, Luciano at Harmony, Miriam at the Tropical lobby bar, and Willy the night-time shuttle driver - I am sure I have forgotten someone, but you are all amazing! See you all very soon! :)

There has been a lot of talk lately, here and there, that "Vacation Club" memberships are a scam, rip-off, etc...well, I have one and and I love it. Could you book a trip to this luxury resort through (any discount travel service) for a cheaper price than what I pay? You sure could! But you will not have access to all the best restaurants, bars and beaches on the property...and then you will not be happy. Long story short - you get what you pay for! If you don't want to get your own membership, you can book through a member and get most of the perks - there is no shortage of members out there that would be willing to do this for you...myself included.

Another thing worth mentioning - we went horseback riding on this trip...didn't book it through the resort though. Contacted Rancho Lorilar directly, before we left home. What an amazing excursion - best one we have ever done in 5 trips to Puerto Plata! Highly recommend it...I reviewed this seperately on Tripadvisor, and advise that you contact them directly (as opposed to booking though the resort) to save yourself some money. Contact info is on their Tripadvisor page.

Please feel free to send me a message if you have any questions about anything I've mentioned in my reviews and I would be more than happy to help.

Life is short...enjoy your vacation!

Room Tip: If you don't want to become a member, you can book through a member or at least upgrade to VIP t...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I booked this once a year vacation threw Expedia for myself and my family. I booked the Royal Suits two bedroom suit for 12 days. We saw the pictures of the suit and its descriptions on the Expedia web sight, everything looked and sounded great, so we booked it. On the web sight, it was a beautiful two bedroom suit, great kitchen, great living/dining room, 3 flat screen tv's, wi-fi included, the bathrooms looked incredible and the kitchen was fully functional. On our arrival, we checked in and were taken to our suit, thats where the nightmare began. The door to the entrance looked like it belonged on a barn, the door has a 1/4 inch crack which runs from the top to the middle, some one stuffed tissue into the crack, but from outside you could clearly look into our suit. Once inside, our jaws dropped, there must be a mistake, this wasn't the suit we saw and booked. The suit looked like a farm house, the furnature was old repainted wicker vynal, every door was worped, cracked and not one closed properly, locks were all beat to hell, the kitchen looked like it came out of a trailer, no microwave, no stove as described on the sight. The beds looked like they were built and painted using 2X4, the mattresses, pillows and sheets belong in a cheap getto hourly motel. The web sight showed 3 nice flat screen tv's, but our suit only had two old small 20 year old beat to hell tv's. The bedroom closets are disgusting and the doors don't close because the latches are broken, the bedroom furniture is old repainted wicker. The windows and doors are all loose and old, when the wind blows outside, all the cutains move from the draft coming in threw the frames. The bathroom windows were repaired using clear glass, so if your in the shower and some one is going up the exterior stairs outside, they can clearly see into the shower. I immediately went to the front desk and told they staff that this was not the suit I booked, but I was told nothing could be done until the next morning when the supervisor was in. I asked about the wi-fi, but was told I would have to pay extra, but in the sight it is clearly says wi-fi included with the suit. I went to the front desk the next morning, but was told nothing could be done and to call Expedia since I booked threw them. After many attempts trying to reach expedia with my cell phone and having no luck, i desided to go to the customer service office to speak to the manager. The managers staff only told me that he can't help me and to call Expedia. I finally was able to reach Expedia, but they couldn't help me, apparently Expedia was unable to reach anybody from the resort. I went back to customer servise and Roseanna came out to speak to me, she explained the suit i saw in the sight is only available if i was to purchase a $ 8000.00 membership to the resort. I took her to my suit so she could see for herself what it looked like, she said, with my kids there, that the suit was a "garbage" and to call Expedia. The next morning, we were all sick and we all had the runs from something we ate at the buffet the night before, the food is horrible. One of the resort staff came to the suit to give us 7 days of wi-fi, but i booked for 12. The suit hadn't been cleaned for two days, nor was the fridge stocked, After two trips to the front desk and three calls, they finally delivered some water and towels at 8:00 pm. Three days into the vacation and i could see my families disapointment, the resort wasn't going to help and Expedia wasn't going to help me either. I decided to bite the bullet and book another resort for the remainder of the trip, as you should guess Lifestyles would not credit me anything and so i would have to pay again for the same trip. I booked RIU BACATA, we taxied it there, but the first smile we saw on our trip was from the staff at RIU Bacata, my family was glowing once we walked into the rooms, it was clean and everthing was perfect. The staff are always smiling and ready to help, the food is good, the whole place is wonderful. Thank you RIU Bacata and all the staff for saving my families vacation. I'm posting photos of the suit we had at Lifestyles resorts, you can be the judge. If anybody needs more info about this Lifestyes resort, i would be pleased and honored to responed to all emails roofs320i@live.com Oh, one more thing, thanks for nothing Expedia ! I'm having hard time uploading pictures, but if you want, I will email them to you

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

i warn you all now ... this is the WORST place i have ever been to in my life ...
they steal and cheat and you cant do anything cause you are not in the US
they changed my room and asked to upgrade only if a buy a timeshare
the food is horrible
and the poeple that work there are blank faced, dont help , and are just absolutley the worst service place i have ever walked in to in my life

i am completely surprised this place is in busienss !!!!

stay away !!!!!!!!!!!!
Stay away !!!!!!!!!!!!
for your own good and the safety of your family

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Been to Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Club? Share your experiences!