“Lifestyle Holidays” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 44 Hotels in Puerto Plata
nyc
“Lifestyle Holidays”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

This was my first trip to Lifestyle Holidays in Puerto Plata. The hotel was a short drive from the airport, maybe 25 minutes. I was greeted by the warm reception at the hotel. I was introduced to the Manager, Mr. Vaquer. I later learned he runs a top notch hotel. The grounds are well kept, the hotel is beautiful, the food is good, and the entertainment it good. The rooms are clean and the rooms are well laid out around the hotel. The walk is never that long from or to anywhere around the hotel. The restaurants are very good. My family and I tried the Mexican and Dominican restaurants... we celebrated my brother's birthday... it was a great time. Those people know how to have a good time. And, most importantly, you must attend the Sunday night super show. This show and dinner are like a sit down rock concert. There are tents with food and several stages and separate sections for vip's, etc. This party is the real deal. Stilt walkers, lights beaming in the sky like a Hollywood opening. I mean everything. Think about the largest parties you've seen on tv. This is it. The production they put forth is very impressive. I've traveled to most of the Caribbean, Europe, and I live in NY. I have seen many hotels in many countries and this one is truly a good hotel. They put a lot of value on their night time shows as well. They're not typical cheesy hotel shows, but rather nicer production shows. On an overcast day, try to slip in a half day and go through the timeshare packages they offer. The grounds and villas truly are impressive. The place is complete with floor to ceiling window enclosed restaurants and lounges with stretch limo lincoln navigators and helicopters on the roof. I'm telling you, this place is worth the tour... the experience is like none other.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (340)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

I was at the lifestyle presidential suite. I just love this hotel. It is soo beautiful and clean. Serenity Beach is the best beach in the world to relax!! this place is huge has more than 10 pools, about 5 beaches, 14 restaurants, two night clubs. I had so much fun that I dance the night away for 2 nights:) I already have reservation to stay in a villa for my birthday in May and Im bringing my best friends with me. I recommend to go VIP Gold that way u have access everywhere and better drinks and food. But the most important is that you'll have access to Serenity beach,

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

First a big shout out to Alfredo & Grace from kids club, Rosa from guest services and Saffy from Chef's team. Hope the LVC team recognized their wonderful staff.

Property- very vast and beautiful and if you are ready for some walking, makes up for all the extra calories consumed during the stay. Shuttles are available in plenty too but sometimes may need to wait, esp after a show if you are not a VIP.

Food- Having well travelled and been multiple times to other carribean and mexican destinations, I will say, the food is avg in general, esp for vegeterians. It is just that DR folks eat rice, beans and plantains/ potatoes and so that's what you get mostly. also, I dont think the dessert options are as high quality as you may find in some other ALL inclusice Mexico destinations that we have been too. There were other options but yes, this is mainly it. However, we lucked out and found some really good staff who helped celebrate my sis's 40th birthday with a specially baked beautiful cake for our party of 12, with a huge staff coming to sing and celebrate with us, got some special request food done, mexican, even Indian at The pearl. the breakfast was plentiful and the juices were plenty. I would say it is better to go to bigger buffett places as they are the only ones that can whip up smoothies, juice blends to your fancy as long as those fruits are available. Try the Passion fruit juice, or Passionfruit, papaya, banana smoothie etc.

Kids Club: the day 2 we took kids to the kids club and were shocked to find a totally disinterested lady in charge of teh club. I was casually talking to the guest services about a trip when she asked if kids were going to kids club and I shared my concern. She immediately apologized and said the regular person was sick but go back tomorrow. AND GOD DID IT CHANGE. Amazing is not the word to describe how skilled and engaged both Alfredo and Grace were in taking care of the kids- kids think that was the highlight of their trip.

Activities- I did not see any adult activities- maybe it is only for VIP guests but the evening shows were good and the staff was really passionately driving the events. The sunday show was wonderfully orchastrated but with the crazy rains, we couldnt really enjoy it to its fullest. was really hard to manage an infant, and 3 kids, 3 senior citizens while trying to eat food standing under the food tent :). wish they could have built some shaded areas to sit for food.

Location: the beach was good and calm and even though it was high tide, we never once felt threatened. Wish it was blue waters but if that is what you want, go to Punta Cana. The Lifestyle beaches are pretty clear of too many vendors etc

Timeshare selling: Reading teh forum, i was worried about the timeshare folks but they were pretty ok. The three seniors from our group went to listen but since they arent citizens, we were to make a final decision.We politely refused and they didnt bother us once.

Local trips: We did a cab on our own and the hotel guest services really helped getting a guided tour person who took all 10 of us in a large van and did sight seeing for $60 versus spending $35 per person which was good. I think the city visit/ Tour is not worth too much more than that but a good break from the resort. Please do be careful when walking around, someone tried snatching my MIL's gold chain but no harm done and the local public ran after the guy to punish him.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
McLean, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Lifestyles Holidays was absolutely PERFECTO! If you are in love with music, dancing, and calm beaches with great service you will love it! The best part was definitely the ANIMATION TEAM! All of them (party boy, puty, caramelo, bon jovi, johnny bravo) they were so fun & extremely friendly and even though i was in complete paradise, they made me so much more happier just by participating in different games and dancing!

Restaurants:
During the day there were various places you could eat, all of them were delicious and fresh! The fruit was simply amazing. But my friends and I NEVER wanted to eat because we were all too busy having fun out on the beach, dancing.

Beaches:
I would definitely recommend you do VIP if you will be staying here because serenity beach is truly the beach from the adds, white sands and clear blue water with servers always being friendly and bringing drinks.

Service:
Our room was always clean, and very spacious. Waking up and walking outside was complete heaven. The weather was always warm and sunny & the workers at the bars were always friendly and hilarious!

LO MEJOR: Animation team!
the Animation team were wonderful! This was a small group of around 6-7 people (Party Boy, Puty, Johnny Bravo, Caramelo, Bon Jovi, and others) and they were ALWAYS keeping the guests up and dancing!

One amazing thing about this trip is that you learn so much of the dominican culture; the music, dancing, dialect, etc. The people in the Dominican Republic are by far the most festive & friendly people i have ever met. And this is coming from a Mixed girl who has been all over the world. I give this trip 10 STARS and plan to return every year for the rest of my life if i can!

Room Tip: Definitely go VIP if you are going to stay, and we stayed in the presidential suites which was beyon...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Frisco, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

This was the best vacation we had in a very long time. It was very relaxing and the staff was outstanding and extremely friendly. My wife and I loved every minute we spend there. The staff went out of their way to make feel special everyday. I am looking forward to going back soon.

Room Tip: I truly believe you will love it what ever room you are in at the resort. Each resort on the complex...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

The place is amazing. It is enormous. They are expanding and you can notice. Our first time and we went as guests and we had VIP access. If you are a member your experience will be totally different from a "cheapcaribbean" or any other of those websites. However, regardless of your "status" everyone is really friendly. The buffets (open for everyone) are amazing, great quality of food and great staff. The VIP restaurants are superb, specially AZUL! We stay at a Presidential Suite and everything was fine. Some issues with one of the toilets but it was fixed immediately. The pools are amazing. They are everywhere. The beaches for the general public are great however, really crowded and remember that there are people who bought their stay at a very low prices therefore, you may see some "characters". On the other hand, at the exclusive beaches, totally different ambiance and service. There are some exclusive pools too that are quiet and the service excellent. We loved our stay. The VIP Party for Members Only on Saturdays is amazing. The stomach bug is not the location, is the water (I have stayed in different hotels in DR and always had the vowel problem)... stick to bottled water!...At the end of our stay, we bought our membership and please be informed that I said I will NEVER EVER get into any Clubs or timeshares.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

We just returned Puerta Plata and the Lifestyles Resort. Our experience was terrible and we are all still sick. First the airfare to the DR is expensive and the accommodations are not cheap so your expectations are high.

We had booked a 6 bedroom villa (for the 11 of us) but upon arriving we were told the villa we had reserved a year ago was not available and they switched into two 3-bedroom villas that were run down and in disrepair. We would have liked to know this before leaving the USA so we could have made a decision as to coming. I believe this was deceptive on their part. Although the bedrooms had a/c the general living area did not and it was hot. The weather switched from torrential rains to very hot. And although they cannot control the weather the tile around the villa was like walking on ice when it rained. Many of us slipped and almost fell. Plus the rain came in under the doors and wet the floors in the bedrooms and the living area which we needed to put towels on to soak up. Also after the rains the rooms were covered by bugs driven in be the rain and it was a mess.

The staff tried to be accommodating as the lady who cooked and cleaned did a great job. However she even slipped on the wet tile and fell and hurt her arm. The beaches were beautiful and well kept and the staff was great. I agree with Natalie M that the food was not great and several meals we couldn't eat as they were that bad. Many of our dinner reservations were changed from 6:30 to 8:30 without our knowledge or agreement. You couldn't get transportation sometimes at night as you would call but they didn't show up and it is pouring rain.

Don't drink the water, don't brush your teeth with it, don't use the ice and don't eat salads washed in it. One of our party had to go to the medical center and was told he had a parasite. Rampant lower track distress (if you know what I mean) Great if you're coming back to get a colonoscopy. The lifestyles people are always in sell mode so beware of accepting invitations to presentations. You're trapped inside because outside Lifestyles (we took some tours) it is very poor and rundown and risky.

Given what we paid for transportation, housing and food/drink this has easily been one of the most expensive and disappointing vacation experience of our lives. Enough said don't get suckered like we were. Best of Luck.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Club? Share your experiences!