“the BEST vacation & the BEST people!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Club

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Puerto Plata
Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Club
Save Saved
You added Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Club to your Saves list
Ranked #9 of 41 Hotels in Puerto Plata
McLean, Virginia
“the BEST vacation & the BEST people!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Lifestyles Holidays was absolutely PERFECTO! If you are in love with music, dancing, and calm beaches with great service you will love it! The best part was definitely the ANIMATION TEAM! All of them (party boy, puty, caramelo, bon jovi, johnny bravo) they were so fun & extremely friendly and even though i was in complete paradise, they made me so much more happier just by participating in different games and dancing!

Restaurants:
During the day there were various places you could eat, all of them were delicious and fresh! The fruit was simply amazing. But my friends and I NEVER wanted to eat because we were all too busy having fun out on the beach, dancing.

Beaches:
I would definitely recommend you do VIP if you will be staying here because serenity beach is truly the beach from the adds, white sands and clear blue water with servers always being friendly and bringing drinks.

Service:
Our room was always clean, and very spacious. Waking up and walking outside was complete heaven. The weather was always warm and sunny & the workers at the bars were always friendly and hilarious!

LO MEJOR: Animation team!
the Animation team were wonderful! This was a small group of around 6-7 people (Party Boy, Puty, Johnny Bravo, Caramelo, Bon Jovi, and others) and they were ALWAYS keeping the guests up and dancing!

One amazing thing about this trip is that you learn so much of the dominican culture; the music, dancing, dialect, etc. The people in the Dominican Republic are by far the most festive & friendly people i have ever met. And this is coming from a Mixed girl who has been all over the world. I give this trip 10 STARS and plan to return every year for the rest of my life if i can!

Room Tip: Definitely go VIP if you are going to stay, and we stayed in the presidential suites which was beyon...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (299)
Frisco, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

This was the best vacation we had in a very long time. It was very relaxing and the staff was outstanding and extremely friendly. My wife and I loved every minute we spend there. The staff went out of their way to make feel special everyday. I am looking forward to going back soon.

Room Tip: I truly believe you will love it what ever room you are in at the resort. Each resort on the complex...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

The place is amazing. It is enormous. They are expanding and you can notice. Our first time and we went as guests and we had VIP access. If you are a member your experience will be totally different from a "cheapcaribbean" or any other of those websites. However, regardless of your "status" everyone is really friendly. The buffets (open for everyone) are amazing, great quality of food and great staff. The VIP restaurants are superb, specially AZUL! We stay at a Presidential Suite and everything was fine. Some issues with one of the toilets but it was fixed immediately. The pools are amazing. They are everywhere. The beaches for the general public are great however, really crowded and remember that there are people who bought their stay at a very low prices therefore, you may see some "characters". On the other hand, at the exclusive beaches, totally different ambiance and service. There are some exclusive pools too that are quiet and the service excellent. We loved our stay. The VIP Party for Members Only on Saturdays is amazing. The stomach bug is not the location, is the water (I have stayed in different hotels in DR and always had the vowel problem)... stick to bottled water!...At the end of our stay, we bought our membership and please be informed that I said I will NEVER EVER get into any Clubs or timeshares.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

We just returned Puerta Plata and the Lifestyles Resort. Our experience was terrible and we are all still sick. First the airfare to the DR is expensive and the accommodations are not cheap so your expectations are high.

We had booked a 6 bedroom villa (for the 11 of us) but upon arriving we were told the villa we had reserved a year ago was not available and they switched into two 3-bedroom villas that were run down and in disrepair. We would have liked to know this before leaving the USA so we could have made a decision as to coming. I believe this was deceptive on their part. Although the bedrooms had a/c the general living area did not and it was hot. The weather switched from torrential rains to very hot. And although they cannot control the weather the tile around the villa was like walking on ice when it rained. Many of us slipped and almost fell. Plus the rain came in under the doors and wet the floors in the bedrooms and the living area which we needed to put towels on to soak up. Also after the rains the rooms were covered by bugs driven in be the rain and it was a mess.

The staff tried to be accommodating as the lady who cooked and cleaned did a great job. However she even slipped on the wet tile and fell and hurt her arm. The beaches were beautiful and well kept and the staff was great. I agree with Natalie M that the food was not great and several meals we couldn't eat as they were that bad. Many of our dinner reservations were changed from 6:30 to 8:30 without our knowledge or agreement. You couldn't get transportation sometimes at night as you would call but they didn't show up and it is pouring rain.

Don't drink the water, don't brush your teeth with it, don't use the ice and don't eat salads washed in it. One of our party had to go to the medical center and was told he had a parasite. Rampant lower track distress (if you know what I mean) Great if you're coming back to get a colonoscopy. The lifestyles people are always in sell mode so beware of accepting invitations to presentations. You're trapped inside because outside Lifestyles (we took some tours) it is very poor and rundown and risky.

Given what we paid for transportation, housing and food/drink this has easily been one of the most expensive and disappointing vacation experience of our lives. Enough said don't get suckered like we were. Best of Luck.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

First and formost, this review is from the standpoint of a member of their vacation club. This resort also has numerous other travel agencies that book the resort as well, and their experience is completely different than the experience that a member would have. There are some great deals from some "big-box" websites that will allow you to stay at the resort for next to nothing; however, many of the things mentioned in this review will NOT apply to your stay, as you will not be able to gain access to the members-only areas of the resort. The deals that you can find are a great way to check out the property, and see if you are interested in joining. You can also book trips to the resort via members, which will give you some additional access to different areas of the resort.

We stayed at the Presidential Suites. This is our third time in a Presidential Suite, and as always, it was a fantastic experience. The accomodations are top notch for the Dominican Republic. It is more space than we truly need, but it is nice to spread out and enjoy the room on rainy days.

As far as food, the highlight of the trip is always the dinners. As a member we are entitled to eat at the members only restaurants every night, and even though the menu hasnt changed much over the years, we have never had a problem with the food. We usually hit the buffett for breakfast and lunch, and while the menu there can be static, we have never gotten sick from the food. We usually drink the water from the servers, but otherwise stick to bottled water, even to brush our teeth. We also take a probiotic before and during our trip, which also adds some additional assurance from picking up a bug.

The beaches there are also phenomenal, especially the service that you get (again as a member) at Serenity Beach. Yes, there is seaweed in the sand (compliments of mother nature herself), but generally found the beach clean and well groomed. We had some torrential rain, and the crew did a great job at cleaning up the beach in a timely and thorough manner, as the waves did pick up some of the seaweed as well as some drift wood and other typical sea "trash". I have read people complaining of raw sewage being drained in the ocean, but I can say I have never seen evidence of that happening. Certainly some drainage will eventually make its way to the water, and yes some of it might be stagnent water, but there isnt evidence of raw sewage being disposed on the beach.

The staff is also very accomodating. Keep in mind you are on "Island Time", and the official language in the DR is spanish, not english. As americans we tend to think that everyone should just speak English, but that isnt the case. There are folks that truly have gone above and beyond to make sure we have a fantastic experience every time we stay there.

The only annoyance are the folks with the white polo shirts and clipboards. They resort is a vacation club, the success of which is on them signing up members. The white polo shirt guys with the clipboards get paid to bring you to a sales pitch. Even members are hit up for add ons to their membership. I personally dont mind this, as I like to hear what the options are, and what is new at the resort, but I can see why some might find this as a significant annoyance. They do have difference levels of membership at various price points as well.

As for areas of improvement, they could do a better job with some of their gift shops. For a higher end resort (especially from a member perspective) the quality of the goods and merchandice was lacking.

Overall, we personally love the resort, what it offers to its members, and the people that work there. Clearly members are treated differently than non-members, but keep in mind the members have paid to have that additional level of service and treatment!

Room Tip: There are numerous accomodations throughout the resort from the basic, The Tropical all the way up t...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Houston, TX
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

We recently returned from my sister's wedding in the Dominican and, if I can save even one person from visiting LHVC, this review will be worth it.

Our group (~20) stayed in three villas at the resort. Each villa was different, but all reflected lots of wear and tear. None had probably been updated since the 70s. There's no A/C in the common areas (living, dining and kitchen), but it works fine in the sleeping rooms.

The food. It makes me want to throw up just thinking about it. I wouldn't feed their food to a stray cat, let alone eat it myself. This was my first all-inclusive experience.. I was skeptical of the food going in—after all, if their food was REALLY good, people would keep coming back for more and more and more...and the resort wouldn't make any money. I swear, it was like being at fat camp. I was starving the whole time, dreaming about my first meal back in the states.

They make you the same breakfast each morning, which is fine the first couple of days, but by the fifth day, you can only hope to choke enough down to get you through the day. They have SEVERAL restaurants at the resort, but only open 2-3 each evening and you have to have a reservation to go to them. (In our case, the resort assigned our reservations at the beginning of the week and we couldn't change them.) If you don't like the restaurant you're assigned to, your only other option is to go to the stagnant buffet and sift through soggy noodles and questionable seafood dishes. They won't let you take food outside the restaurant, so if you're sick in bed, you better be ready to crawl to the buffet, otherwise you'll have to wait until morning to eat.

Illness. Oh, heaven. We had 8 in our villa and five of us were all violently ill with flu-like symptoms within the first few days. Diarrhea, coughing, congestion, runny nose, exhaustion. I'm still bed-ridden writing this review.

The only thing I will say that's positive about the experience was the staff. They were very nice, but it's certainly not worth traveling to the Dominican to experience.

The last thing I'll say is that my family likes to travel. We aren't travel snobs—we like experiencing local culture, eating local food, etc. That was NOT what you get in Puerto Plata. It's genuinely not safe for travelers to go into town to explore, which means that you're really confined to the walls of the property for the duration of your stay. With that in mind, you might as well save your money and health and stay somewhere along the Gulf Coast, where you can enjoy a beach vacation without the headache.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Forest Hills, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

This was my second visit to Lifestyle. The first time my husband and I went was this past April. We were so impressed with the service, the friendliness of the staff and the quality of the food, drinks and shows that we became members.

This time I went with two of my sisters since they had never been there. We had a BLAST!! We stayed at one of the Presidential Suites; it was like being in your own home.

The beaches are beautiful (Harmony, VIP and my favorite, Serenity Beach). There are activities going on all day long and for all ages. You can take a stretch class, a water aerobics class, a Latin dance class (merengue, bachata or salsa) or just sit and relax at one of the many pools, jacuzzis or on one of the many hammocks that are available for the guests. One of my favorite places is the Spa where you are pampered and rejuvenated.

There is a wide variety of restaurants with an international flair. The food is quite good and the staff is very attentive.

Be sure not to miss the Bravissimo Show at Ocean World (Thursday night) and the VIP Welcome Party (Sunday night). AMAZING!!

I can't wait to return to my Lifestyle "home away from home."

M Bandel

Room Tip: VIP is the wait to go. Presidential Suites or Villas.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Club? Share your experiences!