“Pretty, central hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Portes 9

Save Saved
You added Hotel Portes 9 to your Saves list
Hotel Portes 9
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle Arzobispo Portes #7 | End of Las Damas Street, Santo Domingo 10210, Dominican Republic (Formerly Coco Boutique Hotel) (Zona Colonial)   |
Ranked #13 of 74 hotels in Santo Domingo
London, United Kingdom
“Pretty, central hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

My partner and I, both 25, stayed at the Coco Boutique for 2 nights in July 2012. We booked the hotel primarily for the location, and colonial style. We were not disappointed with the style or location, but feel that some areas could have been improved, and I was torn between giving in 3/5 or 4/5.

Prior to arrival I had emailed the hotel and asked if they could arrange for a taxi to collect us from the coach station (we traveled by coach from Bavaro). They replied promptly, and a taxi was there to meet us with a board with our names on.

Check-in:
We arrived at around 11.30am. Our room wasn't quite ready, so we sat in the lounge area with a complimentary beer, which was nice. The lounge area was attractive, and there was a selection of books available for guests to borrow, including guide books, which was a nice touch. It was however a bit messy, with bags of things lying around, which was a shame.

Room:
The rooms are very nicely decorated, with a lot of attention to detail. We were given the choice between the Black Vanilla room, and the Eastern Spice room (see my photos of both), and choose the Black Vanilla room.

The wardrobe was a decent size, there were a total of 3 mirrors (one in the bathroom, one on the wall in the bedroom, and a full length one in the wardrobe) and though the bathroom was compact, it had storage space, and everything was fully functioning, with decent water pressure in the shower. Soap is provided, along with 3 large towels, and a bathmat. The rooms have AC, and a ceiling fan, and the safe is free of charge. The floors are a lovely polished wood, and, as I said above, the decor is very nice.

Now for the cons, and the reason I nearly gave it a 3/5: the room was extremely compact, and I tripped over a few times. The bed was an OK size for a short stay, but definitely not for a longer one, though the mattress was comfortable, as were the pillows. No hairdryer was provided; I think this is something they could include. Both the ceiling fan and AC could be temperamental, and didn't always work, and it could get quite hot. Also be aware that as it is an old building, with no double-glazing, sound obviously travels. This is not the hotel's fault, but be aware of it and bring ear plugs, as it was very noisy our first night due to music being played at the roof-top bar above. Finally, the safe was VERY small; just about big enough for our passports, cash, and phones; I had to lock my SLR camera in my case, which I don't like doing.

WiFi:
There is free WiFi throughout the hotel, and the connection and speed were very good IMO.

Breakfast:
We thoroughly enjoyed the breakfast, which was simple, but fresh and nicely presented. We had fresh fruit juice (I'm unsure what it was, but I think it may have been orange, mango, and passion fruit or guava, or similar), which was delicious, a choice of tea or coffee (the tea came in a lovely silver pot), fresh fruit (banana, melon, pineapple, and mango), then toast with butter, cheese, and ham. We were late rising (around 9am), but the table was set ready for us, which was another nice touch. You can eat either inside, or outside.

Roof-top bar:
We used the roof-top lounge a couple of times. It was nicely decorated in aqua blue and shades of white, with lots of comfortable seating, and great views across Santo Domingo and out to sea. We found the drinks prices reasonable (as often hotels inflate them considerably), and the beers were ice-cold.

The area could obviously get hot, being on the roof, but plenty of shade was available, and the light decor helped it feel cooler.

Cleanliness:
This for us was where the hotel was lacking. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't dirty, and the rooms were clean; it just could have been better; there were a few cobwebs in the common areas, small stains on the table-cloth, minor things like that. I think a lick of paint, and a bit more attention to detail, would be great, and make it a solid 4*.

Staff:
We found all the staff friendly, helpful, and polite. For non-Spanish speakers, you may find a language barrier; we got round this by using an app on our phone where you type something in English, and it translates to Spanish; this was very useful.

Location:
The location is excellent, right in the heart of the Zona Colonial. The small square in front of the hotel was very clean and well-maintained, and very pretty, and the hotel was within easy reach of shops, bars, restaurants, and the main tourist attractions.

All in all, we enjoyed our stay, and I would recommend the Coco Boutique for a short stay in Santo Domingo.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

113 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

Coco hotel is perfectly located in the Zona Colonial ,in front of a quiet and lovely, small place. I was traveling alone, and this spot is perfect to mix in the local life. I had a good time there, owner's was very helpful.

Room Tip: I was in "eastern spice" room. small bathroom, a/c very efficient!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Gustavia, St. Barthelemy, Guadeloupe
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

I know how difficult it is to offer a level of excellence in the Hotel business because I work in a Hotel in St. Barths. Coco Boutique Hotel is an OASIS in the city. From the minute I reached to the time I left, I was amazed at the detail put into this place- the personal touch. Everything was just PERFECT. The owner is just dedicated at making your stay as wonderful as possible. The location is convenient in the old city. The decoration is beautiful, the room was wonderful, and the Hotel lovely. I even ordered food at 11:15 at night and the food was delivered in my bedroom 15 minutes later- nice food. The staff, very nice; maid service perfect; breakfast impeccable and tasty. When I come back, I will for sure stay there, and nowhere else. Please keep the good work up and thank you so much for everything- I LOVE the place, do not change anything.

Room Tip: My room (oriental) decorated in an arabic style was quiet, beautifully decorated and I could operate...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

We stayed in Coco Boutique this May, though we were in the city to work, when we got back to our room, we were able to enjoy a peaceful escape from the wild city. Everything was comfortable and I slept wonderfully. Without knowing, we had a romantic get away and not planned it! The owner made sure everything was taken care of and we had no worries, even a garage for us to park our car so it wasn't on the street.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2012 via mobile

So gutted as hotel sounded so nice and we were so excited to be traveling to santo Domingo and staying in boutique hotel but so sad when got there and to problem had to wait for two hours and maybe could not stay ?????? Got back to hotel 4 hours later thinking plenty of time for them to sort out !!!! In pouring rain we had to wait outside whe door was in locked and when we entered everyone stared at us as if criminals we just wanted room we had booked in good faith had to wait for taxi too not nice hotel

• Stayed May 2012
Long Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012

This is a wonderful gem in a perfect spot. The colonial zone in Santo Domingo has a lot of stuff to do and things to see. Extremely important cultural and historical icons are all within walking distance of this hotel.

The staff is excellent, very helpful and courteous. They bent over backwards to help us with even the smallest detail. As an added surprise, the food at the hotel restaurant was excellent. All the food was well seasoned and freshly prepared. I really recommend this place.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 29, 2012

Never having been to Santo Domingo, I was unsure whether to stay at this hotel or another one more highly rated on Trip Advisor. I selected Coco Boutique partly because they offered a driver to meet me at the airport and bring me to the hotel. In the event, there was a mix-up, and the driver didn't show up. However, when my taxi finally found the hotel, the owner, Eduardo, paid for the cab and bent over backwards to make up for the mix-up. The fact I would rate this hotel so highly shows the extent to which the owners have done a great job to create a beautiful, warm, and inviting place to stay. While in Santo Domingo, I had a chance to take a look at the other hotels I could have stayed at, and I had no cause to regret my choice.
The single nicest thing about Coco Boutique is its beauty, closely followed by the extent to
which the owners and staff try to make you feel at home. Oh, and it has fabulous WiFi internet access as well. I found myself tempted to just stay in the hotel all day!
The only reason I did not rate this hotel more highly is the plumbing. I found that there was just barely enough water pressure and warm water to take a minimal shower every day. I chalk that up to the problems of trying to run a modern hotel in a poor, third world city. The friendly owners deserve lots of credit for doing as well as they do.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Portes 9? Share your experiences!