“Chic place a stand out in colonial old Santo Domingo” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Portes 9

Save Saved
You added Hotel Portes 9 to your Saves list
Hotel Portes 9
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle Arzobispo Portes #7 | End of Las Damas Street, Santo Domingo 10210, Dominican Republic (Formerly Coco Boutique Hotel) (Zona Colonial)   |
Ranked #14 of 75 Hotels in Santo Domingo
San Francisco, California
“Chic place a stand out in colonial old Santo Domingo”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 29, 2012

Never having been to Santo Domingo, I was unsure whether to stay at this hotel or another one more highly rated on Trip Advisor. I selected Coco Boutique partly because they offered a driver to meet me at the airport and bring me to the hotel. In the event, there was a mix-up, and the driver didn't show up. However, when my taxi finally found the hotel, the owner, Eduardo, paid for the cab and bent over backwards to make up for the mix-up. The fact I would rate this hotel so highly shows the extent to which the owners have done a great job to create a beautiful, warm, and inviting place to stay. While in Santo Domingo, I had a chance to take a look at the other hotels I could have stayed at, and I had no cause to regret my choice.
The single nicest thing about Coco Boutique is its beauty, closely followed by the extent to
which the owners and staff try to make you feel at home. Oh, and it has fabulous WiFi internet access as well. I found myself tempted to just stay in the hotel all day!
The only reason I did not rate this hotel more highly is the plumbing. I found that there was just barely enough water pressure and warm water to take a minimal shower every day. I chalk that up to the problems of trying to run a modern hotel in a poor, third world city. The friendly owners deserve lots of credit for doing as well as they do.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Santo Domingo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2012

I live in the area, and stayed here during some renovations being done at my place. During my 10 days I never had a complaint, except for a barking dog next door. However I spoke to the owner of the dog and it was resolved.

I Loved the small hotel atmosphere. Great addition to the colonial city. Reminds me of the B&B hotels in Colombia. I sometimes pass by at night and have a drink in the lobby bar.

Hopefully we will se more properties like this open in the area :)

Room Tip: The room up the staris to the right is to small try not to get that 1
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Greensboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2012

Coco Boutique was way more than we expected. I traveled to DR for the 1st time this past holiday season for our engagement party. We decided to stay in the Zona Colonial, which is the colonial area. The hotel was perfect, boutique-style with eclectic & hip decor. Our room was beautiful, clean and spacious. Breakfast was delicious every morning and at night the roof-top was a view to "die for"... I appreciate Eduardo's help while we were in town & he went out of his way to help us get reservations at a nearby spot because Coco Boutique was booked one of the night's we needed. He arranged it for us, is that extraordinary customer service or what!! We will definitely go back & our impression of Coco Boutique set the stage for a great stay in Santo Domingo! Totally 5+ stars for them.

Room Tip: all of the rooms are beautiful and feel free to call them and they will help accomodate you.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

My husband and I drove with friends from Haiti to Santo Domingo for two nights in the colonial zone. This place was perfect for us. It's small and has its quirks (noisy one night, no hot water one morning), but it is well-decorated, charming, perfectly located for walking around the area, and comfortable too. We loved the rooftop bar area at night, which has a nice low-key latin vibe. Breakfast was included (fresh juice, coffee, breads and jams, etc) and the rooms were reasonably priced. All in all, a relaxed and convenient stay.

Room Tip: each of the rooms is a little different, but all are nice in their own way
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2011

Coco Boutique hotel is the perfect place to stay. It is very chill and the staff Edgar and Edward are amazing. Everybody is so friendly and the location is perfect and it is very safe. It is very affordable and I would recommend this place to anybody looking for a relaxing and chill place. I love this place and would come back here anytime.

Room Tip: There are 5 rooms and they are all cute in their own way. There are a few rooms facing the street wh...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Poland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2011

We stayed ther for one night only but was regreting we could not stay for more... A kind of magic place that makes you feel good the moment you enter. Great design, comfortable rooms, nice people & the most important - you are in very center of Zona Colonial. Yes the bathroom is small and to take a shower takes a lot of time as water pressure is very weak. But we would not mind at the end of the day. Breakfast simple but nice. All in all if we ever be back to Santo Domingo we will visit them again!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Philadelphia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2011

This review is late but wanted to take a moment to reccomend this cute hotel. Colonial Zone is a great place with great restaurants. This little hotel is quaint, quiet and in a great location. The roof top lounge area was a nice place to hang out.

Breakfast was a nice treat, honestly didn't love the dinner we had there but it wasn't horrible.

Overall had a great stay and would reccomend.

Room Tip: I stayed in the white room but would have liked the black and white, it had a cool feel.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Portes 9? Share your experiences!